Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

Has Anyone Moved Back To The UK & Regretted It?

Has Anyone Moved Back To The UK & Regretted It?

Old Mar 4th 2010, 10:35 pm
Just Joined

hillbillywillie is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Has Anyone Moved Back To The UK & Regretted It?

5 days off after a years employment, max two years vacation which you have to use for snow days etc anyway mostly. one weeks wage a month for health insurance, and then you still have to pay through the nose for prescriptions etc. I NEED to get back home.
I'm ready for this experiment to end.
Old Mar 5th 2010, 12:10 pm
stuck in twilight

pike is on a distinguished road

just having my weekly moan as the wife don,t want to listen ,Ive been back in the uk coming up to three years now im still down in the dumps just lost my work contracts and still wanting to return to Brisbane even more after this long winter on the bright side Ive still got 12 months left on my PR visa to return other wise there is now going back
Old Mar 5th 2010, 1:00 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hillbillywillie
5 days off after a years employment, max two years vacation which you have to use for snow days etc anyway mostly. one weeks wage a month for health insurance, and then you still have to pay through the nose for prescriptions etc. I NEED to get back home.
I'm ready for this experiment to end.

Does Guthrie OK = Oklahoma? Yep, holiday allowance and health care costs stink big time in the States and I think a lot of expats don't realize it until they get there.
Old Mar 5th 2010, 8:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

sheli0508 is a name known to allsheli0508 is a name known to allsheli0508 is a name known to allsheli0508 is a name known to allsheli0508 is a name known to allsheli0508 is a name known to allsheli0508 is a name known to allsheli0508 is a name known to allsheli0508 is a name known to allsheli0508 is a name known to allsheli0508 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Nu-Shooz
I live in Yorkshire. I think it's a fab place, love it. I was in Ilkley yesterday buying my new car...Harry Ramsdens stop off. Have you been there?
Now I am even more homesick!
Old Mar 5th 2010, 10:41 pm
BE Enthusiast

Ginblossom has a reputation beyond reputeGinblossom has a reputation beyond reputeGinblossom has a reputation beyond reputeGinblossom has a reputation beyond reputeGinblossom has a reputation beyond reputeGinblossom has a reputation beyond reputeGinblossom has a reputation beyond reputeGinblossom has a reputation beyond reputeGinblossom has a reputation beyond reputeGinblossom has a reputation beyond reputeGinblossom has a reputation beyond repute

Tons of interesting comments here. One of the reasons we are emigrating to the US is just to escape the toilet the UK has become.

Even today I was in the Cotswolds on business ( I don't live there) which is a lovely place generally and there was many examples of the chav sociopaths mentioned previously in the thread. Places that I have visited on a number of occasions being overrun by the utterly selfish, ill-mannered and inconsiderate.

Dont get me wrong, nowhere is perfect, but ask yourself this - what kind of country has Britain become? There is a complete lack of social cohesion which most people face every day. Yes there are oddspots where the neighbours are all lovely and its all middle-class and safe, but they are now rare and diminishing. The reality for most people is dealing with ever increasing incidents of both antisocial behaviour and petty bureaucracy.

More and more are finding that their work brings them reducing financial reward commensurate with their lifestyles. More and more are finding that the police are impotent and disinterested for one. More and more are finding that the common civility and manners they were familiar with have long disappeared, crushed under the groaning weight of multiculturalism and a complete lack of individual responsibility.

Is it any wonder that last year saw a record number of people leave the UK? It is not.
Old Mar 5th 2010, 11:27 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ginblossom
Tons of interesting comments here. One of the reasons we are emigrating to the US is just to escape the toilet the UK has become.

Even today I was in the Cotswolds on business ( I don't live there) which is a lovely place generally and there was many examples of the chav sociopaths mentioned previously in the thread. Places that I have visited on a number of occasions being overrun by the utterly selfish, ill-mannered and inconsiderate.

Dont get me wrong, nowhere is perfect, but ask yourself this - what kind of country has Britain become? There is a complete lack of social cohesion which most people face every day. Yes there are oddspots where the neighbours are all lovely and its all middle-class and safe, but they are now rare and diminishing. The reality for most people is dealing with ever increasing incidents of both antisocial behaviour and petty bureaucracy.

More and more are finding that their work brings them reducing financial reward commensurate with their lifestyles. More and more are finding that the police are impotent and disinterested for one. More and more are finding that the common civility and manners they were familiar with have long disappeared, crushed under the groaning weight of multiculturalism and a complete lack of individual responsibility.

Is it any wonder that last year saw a record number of people leave the UK? It is not.
Glad to hear that you are able to escape Living in the US will do you the world of good!
Old Mar 5th 2010, 11:33 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Elvira
Glad to hear that you are able to escape Living in the US will do you the world of good!
No petty bureaucracy here

Old Mar 5th 2010, 11:34 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
No petty bureaucracy here

Shall we tell him about the DMV ?..... HOA ?
Old Mar 5th 2010, 11:37 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Shall we tell him about the DMV ?..... HOA ?
Despite a familiarity with trades union politics in the UK, NOTHING prepared me for what goes on here.
Old Mar 5th 2010, 11:46 pm
Homebody

Despite a familiarity with trades union politics in the UK, NOTHING prepared me for what goes on here.
Didn't you have a bit of a run-in with the Library Committee

I thought I was a pretty hardened PTA stalwart/school governor before I moved here, but *nothing* could have prepared me for the tediousness of PTA meetings here
Old Mar 5th 2010, 11:52 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ginblossom

Have you ever lived outside the UK?
Old Mar 5th 2010, 11:54 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Didn't you have a bit of a run-in with the Library Committee

I thought I was a pretty hardened PTA stalwart/school governor before I moved here, but *nothing* could have prepared me for the tediousness of PTA meetings here
It just gets worse and worse - a 1/2 hour pre-meeting on the by-laws which once again achieved nothing, followed by a further 2 hour meeting about procedure, again getting nowhere. Eventually walked out after hideous old bat kept shouting me down with 'I can't hear you' (her standard response to anything she doesn't like).

My normally mild-mannered husband is at his wits' end with the pettyfogging crap at his workplace.
Old Mar 5th 2010, 11:58 pm
Homebody

It just gets worse and worse.............

My normally mild-mannered husband is at his wits' end with the pettyfogging crap at his workplace.
End in sight?
Old Mar 6th 2010, 12:01 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

End in sight?
Yeah
Old Mar 6th 2010, 3:44 am
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.