Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

Has Anyone Moved Back To The UK & Regretted It?

Has Anyone Moved Back To The UK & Regretted It?

Old Mar 1st 2010, 12:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

Marmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Has Anyone Moved Back To The UK & Regretted It?

Originally Posted by Fleaflyfloflum
I must be living in a parallell universe.

" Hello. my names Brian, i live in Peckham. The whole of the UK is shite because Peckham is shite. There's no way round it i'll have to leave the country" FFS
Old Mar 1st 2010, 12:34 pm
BE Enthusiast

pinkkristen has much to be proud ofpinkkristen has much to be proud ofpinkkristen has much to be proud ofpinkkristen has much to be proud ofpinkkristen has much to be proud ofpinkkristen has much to be proud ofpinkkristen has much to be proud ofpinkkristen has much to be proud ofpinkkristen has much to be proud ofpinkkristen has much to be proud ofpinkkristen has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Nu-Shooz
I live in Yorkshire. I think it's a fab place, love it. I was in Ilkley yesterday buying my new car...Harry Ramsdens stop off. Have you been there?
ooooh, i'm from Burley in Wharfedale!! You're making me even more homesick - it is a gorgeous place, can't believe i left it - what a dumb ass i was!!
Old Mar 1st 2010, 2:27 pm
Lost in Space

lilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to behold

I live in Yorkshire. I think it's a fab place, love it. I was in Ilkley yesterday buying my new car...Harry Ramsdens stop off. Have you been there?
Harry's fish, chips and gravy. I'd go to the one in Salford as you approach Manchester from the quays - M602? It was really hard to drive past and not get something!
Old Mar 1st 2010, 2:30 pm
Account Closed

Nu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really nice

Originally Posted by lilybilly101
Harry's fish, chips and gravy. I'd go to the one in Salford as you approach Manchester from the quays - M602? It was really hard to drive past and not get something!
I stayed over on the Quays in Manch 2 weeks ago. Big place. Forgotton how big it was.
Old Mar 1st 2010, 4:00 pm
Lost in Space

lilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to behold

I stayed over on the Quays in Manch 2 weeks ago. Big place. Forgotton how big it was.
The Lowry shopping centre - Marks and Sparks end of the line. Oooooohhhh for a few pairs of M and S knickers at a bargain price AND free parking! How was shopping mecca?
Old Mar 1st 2010, 4:17 pm
Account Closed

Nu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really nice

The Lowry shopping centre - Marks and Sparks end of the line. Oooooohhhh for a few pairs of M and S knickers at a bargain price AND free parking! How was shopping mecca?
You know something, i have never bought knickers from M&S. I used to think it was all granny stuff in there, but i know it has really nice stuff now.
Trafford Centre is fab, too big for me infact, took me 4 hours to do one floor

When are you coming back?
Old Mar 1st 2010, 4:22 pm
Lost in Space

You know something, i have never bought knickers from M&S. I used to think it was all granny stuff in there, but i know it has really nice stuff now.
Trafford Centre is fab, too big for me infact, took me 4 hours to do one floor

When are you coming back?
The million dollar question. Yesterday would be good! I think and hope the end of Summer and no later but it all depends on the house sale. Hopefully it'll sell and we can get on with things. We're just having a kitchen put in on Thursday and the baby is probably going to be induced on Wednesday. Kill me!
Old Mar 1st 2010, 4:23 pm
Account Closed

The million dollar question. Yesterday would be good! I think and hope the end of Summer and no later but it all depends on the house sale. Hopefully it'll sell and we can get on with things. We're just having a kitchen put in on Thursday and the baby is probably going to be induced on Wednesday. Kill me!
Bloody hell, had no idea you were pregnant. All the best
Old Mar 1st 2010, 4:42 pm
BE Enthusiast

pinkkristen has much to be proud ofpinkkristen has much to be proud ofpinkkristen has much to be proud ofpinkkristen has much to be proud ofpinkkristen has much to be proud ofpinkkristen has much to be proud ofpinkkristen has much to be proud ofpinkkristen has much to be proud ofpinkkristen has much to be proud ofpinkkristen has much to be proud ofpinkkristen has much to be proud of

wow, good luck for wednesday. Sorry i never got back but she didn't have any decent advice anyway. hope all goes well, with baby and house! Thankfully we haven't bought and the way we feel right now, won't be!!
Old Mar 1st 2010, 5:17 pm
Lost in Space

Originally Posted by pinkkristen
wow, good luck for wednesday. Sorry i never got back but she didn't have any decent advice anyway. hope all goes well, with baby and house! Thankfully we haven't bought and the way we feel right now, won't be!!
Don't worry....I decided to stop trying to be all natural, water birth mother as I was getting so stressed about it. I'm now going with the flow and following doc's orders like a good girl! Just need to empty kitchen cupboards......anyone free.....wish my mum was here instead of my bypolar MIL and narcissist nutter SIL. Oh how I love family support at times like these!

I will keep you posted.
Old Mar 1st 2010, 6:33 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

Drove through Ilkley last Wednesday - bit chilly and didnt stop as it wasnt clear how the weather was going to turn out and I needed to be back in Cambridge for Thursday. In the end it was a good trip back from Settle and I made good time. I must be some sort of idiot because I actually enjoy driving in UK. The bland boring roads in Aus (Hume anyone???) make me go to sleep - which is not a good choice!!! Even though I have basically been on motorways and major roads it has been super to see the variety within very short distances. And yesterday morning early the M25 was a doddle
Old Mar 1st 2010, 6:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

ezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond repute

Glad to hear you're having a brilliant time Quoll. I've driven in that area and envy the views you're seeing...just breathtaking isn't it.

Still...disagree about the yoof on streets, we did see an awful lot of it when we were there. But we were looking out for it in our quest to compare countries. Definitely came across some situations that could have turned nasty too. We quickly learnt not to get eye contact with some groups.

I loved driving in the UK too...apart from being on a motorway that suddenly stopped dead for a couple of hours, not because of an accident, but just too much traffic on it. I remember us driving in North Devon and being awesmacked by the view - we pulled over and almost couldn't breathe because of the beauty. Can't say I've ever experienced that here.

So, what's the mood of the people with an election on the way?

Originally Posted by quoll
Drove through Ilkley last Wednesday - bit chilly and didnt stop as it wasnt clear how the weather was going to turn out and I needed to be back in Cambridge for Thursday. In the end it was a good trip back from Settle and I made good time. I must be some sort of idiot because I actually enjoy driving in UK. The bland boring roads in Aus (Hume anyone???) make me go to sleep - which is not a good choice!!! Even though I have basically been on motorways and major roads it has been super to see the variety within very short distances. And yesterday morning early the M25 was a doddle
Old Mar 1st 2010, 8:03 pm
mrs sully

Mrs Sully is just really niceMrs Sully is just really niceMrs Sully is just really niceMrs Sully is just really niceMrs Sully is just really niceMrs Sully is just really niceMrs Sully is just really niceMrs Sully is just really niceMrs Sully is just really niceMrs Sully is just really niceMrs Sully is just really nice

Originally Posted by quoll
I must admit I havent seen too many grey faced youth kicking cans around but I have only been here for 2 weeks. I have seen a lot of dynamic city centres, some glorious days of sunshine which happy families have used to their best advantage and joined me at historic sites and beautiful wild flower gardens. I have walked through London, Darlington (ah, yes, there were some young people outside a pub in Darlington but they didnt bother me) Cambridge and a few other places at night and not felt in the least bit intimidated or even noticed one punch up (seen more in Canberra in the past few months) or drunken swearing louts (definitely seen more in Canberra). There were some footie fans singing loudly outside the sports bar in the Haymarket yesterday but that is the closest I have come to drunken yobbishness.

Another thing I have noticed here is the lack of spew on the pavements - might be that I have only been in certain "nice" parts of all the places I have visited but compared with downtown Canberra it has been comparatively clean (the rain may have washed it all away I suppose! unlike Canberra where it gets baked on and forms part of the walk surface decorations LOL) and, on reflection too, much less dog poop in the suburbs.

Today is another glorious day (at least it looks that way) in contrast with yesterday which was a tad chilly even so, I was perfectly warm with a t shirt and a fleece. In fact I was so warm in Olympia (for a genealogy conference, gobsmackingly awesome) it was t shirt most of the time (what is it with Poms and central heating???).

I have also been very impressed by the number of "bushwalkers" out in pretty much all weathers. You cant move in Yorkshire for people going out for walks on the moors and they all looked rugged up and happy.
Know what you mean about Canberra Quoll, we never venture into the city anytime after 9.30pm on Saturday night. Garema Place is worse than anything I've seen on my visits to England. As for boring Sunday drives in the countryside... give me a leisurely drive in Wiltshire any day. I think one more trip down the Hume and I will go completely mad. No matter what comparisons are made between Aust and the UK it will always be the same to some people. Sometimes I think it is a case of the 'Emporer's New Clothes', some will just keep on with the old pretence of sun, sea and surf. Give me a real Christmas, crisp Spring mornings and balmy Summer evenings that last forever - anytime. Enjoy every minute of your lovely walks, breathe in the air and hold all the great memories until you make the trip again next year. Thank you for your lovely descriptive posts
Old Mar 2nd 2010, 6:09 am
Home Sweet Home

Beedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mrs Sully
Know what you mean about Canberra Quoll, we never venture into the city anytime after 9.30pm on Saturday night. Garema Place is worse than anything I've seen on my visits to England. As for boring Sunday drives in the countryside... give me a leisurely drive in Wiltshire any day. I think one more trip down the Hume and I will go completely mad. No matter what comparisons are made between Aust and the UK it will always be the same to some people. Sometimes I think it is a case of the 'Emporer's New Clothes', some will just keep on with the old pretence of sun, sea and surf. Give me a real Christmas, crisp Spring mornings and balmy Summer evenings that last forever - anytime. Enjoy every minute of your lovely walks, breathe in the air and hold all the great memories until you make the trip again next year. Thank you for your lovely descriptive posts
Gawd I went to Canberra one weekend for a wedding, Saturday morning it was I got there, no buses from the airport because they don't work weekends WTH????? So had to get a taxi, went to wedding and stayed in a niceish hotel.

The next day some of the guests and I decided to have something nice to eat and go for a drive.................it was one of the most boring drives I ever had in my life. Very good wide roads with hardly a car on them and not an interesting sight to see - BORING!!
Old Mar 2nd 2010, 7:09 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Beedubya
Gawd I went to Canberra one weekend for a wedding, Saturday morning it was I got there, no buses from the airport because they don't work weekends WTH????? So had to get a taxi, went to wedding and stayed in a niceish hotel.

The next day some of the guests and I decided to have something nice to eat and go for a drive.................it was one of the most boring drives I ever had in my life. Very good wide roads with hardly a car on them and not an interesting sight to see - BORING!!
Actually for years there wasnt a bus service from the airport at all - on any day! I remain to be convinced that there is one now but I did once see a bus with "airport" as its destination!

Once you leave the lake and the parliamentary triangle it is pretty boring - there are nice views if you hit the 3 peaks (Black Mt, Mt Ainslie and Red Hill) but otherwise it is mainly buildings that are interesting and more interesting if you go inside - however, they are all modern and may have won awards but lack that certain something - almost like a pastiche of a place which is trying hard but hasnt made it yet. Probably in 400 years if the concrete hasnt crumbled the buildings will look less like something some kid has constructed with their Lego set.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.