Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

Has Anyone Moved Back To The UK & Regretted It?

Has Anyone Moved Back To The UK & Regretted It?

Old Feb 28th 2010, 3:24 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Has Anyone Moved Back To The UK & Regretted It?

Originally Posted by transatlantic_chap
Ugh, grimness abounds -- lately it seems that everywhere I go/look I just see yet another gaggle of grey-faced sociopathic teenagers with absolutely no sense at all of the existence of other people in the world. I know there are exceptions on both sides, but the kids back in the States seem so well-adjusted and considerate by comparison. I have started having nightmares about my own kids (currently aged 5 and 2) swigging lager and chucking crisp packets around some windswept playground.
You should have been here yesterday, I went to the shop only to be surrounded by grim faced everyone, no idea what the heck was going on but not a single smile to be found, and no smiles or hellos returned like there usually is I was quite put out at the grunts in return for hello.
I was in a good mood till I went out.
Old Feb 28th 2010, 6:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

ezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond repute

Oh no, must have been a real downer. I know that when we were back last year and having a brilliant time, I'd often come across gangs of kids, idly kicking cider cans around the street, being 'grim' and quite intimidating. It did feel like Britain was very much sitting at the balance point of society. So sad as it's such a bloody gorgeous place with smashing people...it's just that the arse end of society seems to have grown recently....or maybe it's just me heading into 'crotchety old scroat' age!

Ugh, grimness abounds -- lately it seems that everywhere I go/look I just see yet another gaggle of grey-faced sociopathic teenagers with absolutely no sense at all of the existence of other people in the world. I know there are exceptions on both sides, but the kids back in the States seem so well-adjusted and considerate by comparison. I have started having nightmares about my own kids (currently aged 5 and 2) swigging lager and chucking crisp packets around some windswept playground.
Old Feb 28th 2010, 7:43 pm
Forum Regular

sfr09 has much to be proud ofsfr09 has much to be proud ofsfr09 has much to be proud ofsfr09 has much to be proud ofsfr09 has much to be proud ofsfr09 has much to be proud ofsfr09 has much to be proud ofsfr09 has much to be proud ofsfr09 has much to be proud ofsfr09 has much to be proud ofsfr09 has much to be proud of

I think it has grown too that part of society that seem not to care and reading stories about how a lovely man got murdered in his corner shop for a few sweets and a packet of cigs. I know it happens elsewhere but maybe its just more in your face here , I just know that its something I personally see alot more here
Old Feb 28th 2010, 8:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

livinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ezzie
Oh no, must have been a real downer. I know that when we were back last year and having a brilliant time, I'd often come across gangs of kids, idly kicking cider cans around the street, being 'grim' and quite intimidating. It did feel like Britain was very much sitting at the balance point of society. So sad as it's such a bloody gorgeous place with smashing people...it's just that the arse end of society seems to have grown recently....or maybe it's just me heading into 'crotchety old scroat' age!
Good gracious,where were you Ezzie?Maybe you should of headed to where I am (Wilts/Somerset border)where I don't have to witness any of the above!Its not at all "sad"where we live,infact its the complete opposite.Everyone I meet in our village is more than happy to give you a warm greeting,and have a chat.I really don't see the grimness of Britain many of the posters on this forum seem to see.Guess I'm just lucky!I went to Bath today to do some shopping(We live close by)and did'nt see any gangs either.
Old Feb 28th 2010, 8:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

jonfrank123 has a reputation beyond reputejonfrank123 has a reputation beyond reputejonfrank123 has a reputation beyond reputejonfrank123 has a reputation beyond reputejonfrank123 has a reputation beyond reputejonfrank123 has a reputation beyond reputejonfrank123 has a reputation beyond reputejonfrank123 has a reputation beyond reputejonfrank123 has a reputation beyond reputejonfrank123 has a reputation beyond reputejonfrank123 has a reputation beyond repute

How exactly are they being sociopathic? Sometimes I look at a group of teenagers talking loudly or kicking cans around, then I think back to the 1980's when I was a teenager. Was I any different? nope.
Old Feb 28th 2010, 8:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

jonfrank123 has a reputation beyond reputejonfrank123 has a reputation beyond reputejonfrank123 has a reputation beyond reputejonfrank123 has a reputation beyond reputejonfrank123 has a reputation beyond reputejonfrank123 has a reputation beyond reputejonfrank123 has a reputation beyond reputejonfrank123 has a reputation beyond reputejonfrank123 has a reputation beyond reputejonfrank123 has a reputation beyond reputejonfrank123 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Stormer999
Ahh, the hacks from the Oxford Mail always looking for a juicy bit of bad news. Frankly I think the Mail is only good for toilet training the dog but thats just me. It is interesting the lack of time specifics this "Huge" rise (812) claimants was supposed to have happened. Bear in mind the population of Oxfordshire is not far off 630,000. Even the working age population is only 60% of that the 9000 claimant count is only just over 2% of the workforce. Bet you wouldn't see that published in the Daily Gloom.
Old Mar 1st 2010, 12:36 am
Lost in Space

lilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by sfr09
I think it has grown too that part of society that seem not to care and reading stories about how a lovely man got murdered in his corner shop for a few sweets and a packet of cigs. I know it happens elsewhere but maybe its just more in your face here , I just know that its something I personally see alot more here
The British press love a gloom and doom story and the brits themselves love to hate it, hate to love it. Most countries don't report every knifing, every mugging, every murder, every robbery ......only in Britain sadly!
Old Mar 1st 2010, 12:40 am
BE Forum Addict

Marmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lilybilly101
The British press love a gloom and doom story and the brits themselves love to hate it, hate to love it. Most countries don't report every knifing, every mugging, every murder, every robbery ......only in Britain sadly!
This is very true. I live next to one of the most dangerous areas of the US, but they hardly get a mention on the local news when there is a killing. The news stations here try to hype up the good news much more than the bad. I do like that about this area in particular.
Old Mar 1st 2010, 5:00 am
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Marmalade
This is very true. I live next to one of the most dangerous areas of the US, but they hardly get a mention on the local news when there is a killing. The news stations here try to hype up the good news much more than the bad. I do like that about this area in particular.
Here the murders don't even get top story, and many of them are totally ignored, as they are gang related, not a few teens with a can but hard core, tattooed neck don't look at them the wrong way kind of gangs.
You learn to only go shopping to certain stores early (we've been known to just stop and leave) as by later in the afternoon gang bangers do their shopping with their families, weird to see 6mth old babies with his gang colours on sitting in his pushchair wearing designer jeans.
I'm happy to live in the countryside, we are now 45 mins from the city and try not to go to often. But thats where the big grocery stores are.
Old Mar 1st 2010, 8:21 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

I must admit I havent seen too many grey faced youth kicking cans around but I have only been here for 2 weeks. I have seen a lot of dynamic city centres, some glorious days of sunshine which happy families have used to their best advantage and joined me at historic sites and beautiful wild flower gardens. I have walked through London, Darlington (ah, yes, there were some young people outside a pub in Darlington but they didnt bother me) Cambridge and a few other places at night and not felt in the least bit intimidated or even noticed one punch up (seen more in Canberra in the past few months) or drunken swearing louts (definitely seen more in Canberra). There were some footie fans singing loudly outside the sports bar in the Haymarket yesterday but that is the closest I have come to drunken yobbishness.

Another thing I have noticed here is the lack of spew on the pavements - might be that I have only been in certain "nice" parts of all the places I have visited but compared with downtown Canberra it has been comparatively clean (the rain may have washed it all away I suppose! unlike Canberra where it gets baked on and forms part of the walk surface decorations LOL) and, on reflection too, much less dog poop in the suburbs.

Today is another glorious day (at least it looks that way) in contrast with yesterday which was a tad chilly even so, I was perfectly warm with a t shirt and a fleece. In fact I was so warm in Olympia (for a genealogy conference, gobsmackingly awesome) it was t shirt most of the time (what is it with Poms and central heating???).

I have also been very impressed by the number of "bushwalkers" out in pretty much all weathers. You cant move in Yorkshire for people going out for walks on the moors and they all looked rugged up and happy.
Old Mar 1st 2010, 8:28 am
Account Closed

Nu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really nice

Originally Posted by quoll
I must admit I havent seen too many grey faced youth kicking cans around but I have only been here for 2 weeks. I have seen a lot of dynamic city centres, some glorious days of sunshine which happy families have used to their best advantage and joined me at historic sites and beautiful wild flower gardens. I have walked through London, Darlington (ah, yes, there were some young people outside a pub in Darlington but they didnt bother me) Cambridge and a few other places at night and not felt in the least bit intimidated or even noticed one punch up (seen more in Canberra in the past few months) or drunken swearing louts (definitely seen more in Canberra). There were some footie fans singing loudly outside the sports bar in the Haymarket yesterday but that is the closest I have come to drunken yobbishness.

Another thing I have noticed here is the lack of spew on the pavements - might be that I have only been in certain "nice" parts of all the places I have visited but compared with downtown Canberra it has been comparatively clean (the rain may have washed it all away I suppose! unlike Canberra where it gets baked on and forms part of the walk surface decorations LOL) and, on reflection too, much less dog poop in the suburbs.

Today is another glorious day (at least it looks that way) in contrast with yesterday which was a tad chilly even so, I was perfectly warm with a t shirt and a fleece. In fact I was so warm in Olympia (for a genealogy conference, gobsmackingly awesome) it was t shirt most of the time (what is it with Poms and central heating???).

I have also been very impressed by the number of "bushwalkers" out in pretty much all weathers. You cant move in Yorkshire for people going out for walks on the moors and they all looked rugged up and happy.
I live in Yorkshire. I think it's a fab place, love it. I was in Ilkley yesterday buying my new car...Harry Ramsdens stop off. Have you been there?
Old Mar 1st 2010, 8:32 am
BE Forum Addict

livinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by quoll

I'm glad Quoll you actually notice the positives about GB instead of only focussing on the negatives!I don't get the central heating thing either.Even in mid winter I don't need to put mine on until atleast 4-5pm!I went to Bath yesterday(I live close by)and had the most fabulous day!The weather was perfect,lots of happy smiley people walking around,and managed to pick up some excellent early easter presents!I did'nt have a coat on either,a t-shirt with a jumper over the top and yes I too felt cosy!Atleast I guess where I live,lots of people take full advantage of whats around them,whether its walking in the countryside or going to a first rate city such as Bath for abit of retail therapy!Have a great time Quoll!xx
Old Mar 1st 2010, 11:42 am
I don't give a damn

Fleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond repute

I must be living in a parallell universe.

I truly give up. I saw someoine pn here the other day posting that htey live in Essex an hour from London and it was dire.....really????? Not the bit of Essex i'm in.

If you live in what you consider a shit place for gods sake MOVE!!!!
And no, you dont have to move to the other side of the planet either.

" Hello. my names Brian, i live in Peckham. The whole of the UK is shite because Peckham is shite. There's no way round it i'll have to leave the country" FFS
Old Mar 1st 2010, 11:50 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Fleaflyfloflum
I must be living in a parallell universe.

I truly give up. I saw someoine pn here the other day posting that htey live in Essex an hour from London and it was dire.....really????? Not the bit of Essex i'm in.

If you live in what you consider a shit place for gods sake MOVE!!!!
And no, you dont have to move to the other side of the planet either.

" Hello. my names Brian, i live in Peckham. The whole of the UK is shite because Peckham is shite. There's no way round it i'll have to leave the country" FFS
You tell em Flea!Seriously I know what you're talking about.What a gorgeous day its shaping up to be?Foggy this morning(not that I mind fog,its the first we've had for a long time)and now it is sunny and warmish outside.I'm heading out to the veg plot!I think people need to get out more!
Old Mar 1st 2010, 11:58 am
I don't give a damn

Fleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by livinginreality
You tell em Flea!Seriously I know what you're talking about.What a gorgeous day its shaping up to be?Foggy this morning(not that I mind fog,its the first we've had for a long time)and now it is sunny and warmish outside.I'm heading out to the veg plot!I think people need to get out more!

Yes, it is a glorious day. Funny how that never gets a mention, but one drop of rain or snow and the whole world wants to talk and whinge about it

I had a nanna nap earlier. Because i have been so used to having the heat on in the house, i left it running. I woke up so damn hot i have had to open all the windows!! Got a lovely breeze floating through and sunshine streaming into the house

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.