Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

Has Anyone Moved Back To The UK & Regretted It?

Has Anyone Moved Back To The UK & Regretted It?

Old Mar 7th 2010, 12:40 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Has Anyone Moved Back To The UK & Regretted It?

Originally Posted by thunderbird65
looks like theres gonna be another shocked uk beater who sticks 2 fingers up at the country when leaving for the first time then quietly slinks back when realising moving abroad to live isnt all its cracked up to be
( ginblossom )
asking about what benefits are available to returners
Old Mar 7th 2010, 2:48 am
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
asking about what benefits are available to returners
True
Old Mar 7th 2010, 3:04 am
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mummy in the foothills
True
Have you seen this:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisf...-education-tax

"everyone knows California's heading in the wrong direction here, yet the financial crisis is so vast, and the options for raising taxes so limited at this point because of the toxic politics around the issue" (of education funding).

Scary stuff...

Last edited by Elvira; Mar 7th 2010 at 3:06 am.
Old Mar 7th 2010, 5:48 am
BE Forum Addict

livinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ginblossom
Who said I spent two weeks in Florida every year? As you know sweet **** all about what I have done, where I have been, my circumstances, my career or in fact anything what have you, are you in a position to judge? As it goes, over the many years I have spent huge amounts of time in the US.

But so what, its no matter.

Move back here to the UK and leave the US so that the many folks like me who actually do want to live a capitalist system can enjoy the opportunities that you have failed to take.

Rather than whining about healthcare and the education system that your kids are raping, pack your bags and get the hell back to the shithole that is now the UK. You're more than welcome to it. Turn the lights out while youre at it.
Please don't generalise the UK as a shithole.Where I live happens to be very beautiful.You seem to focus heavily on whats wrong with the UK.I guess you need to justify your reasons all the time for moving hey?You paint a pretty grim picture,lets hope that picture is way brighter for you in the US.
Old Mar 7th 2010, 5:50 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Could some of the posters on this thread please take the time to refresh their knowledge of the rules of BE, especially Rule 1.

Challenge others' points of view and opinions, but do so respectfully and thoughtfully ... without insult or personal attack.
Old Mar 7th 2010, 9:16 am
Just Joined

MyLovelyBoys is an unknown quantity at this point

Blimey - what a long thread! And, some good points made by all!

We have been living in France for the last 3 years or so. While it's lovely here, I'm feeling the pull of good old blighty. We have two young kids who have only known schooling here and I must admit, this is the thing I will miss most about France, not having any experience of UK schools (other than my own, 20 years ago!) I am panicing that my children will be approached by drug dealers outside of the school gates and they will be pesterring me for Nintendo DSs on an hourly basis (will resist for as long as I can!).
I go into our little school on a Thursday afternoon to teach the little kiddies English - purely on a volunteer basis. But do you know? The head asked me to go in and I said yes - so I went in! No CRB checks, no checking my background - they presume that as my children go to this school I am alright to go in - and I am, by the way!
I love that you are encouraged to managed your own risk here. The blokes who repair potholes simply stop their truck, shovel some tarmac in and off they go. No road closures, no contraflows - heaven!
However, we are BORED BORED BORED!
My children haven't been invited to a single birthday party here, no-one pops round for tea, meeting up at the park never happens here.
So to be able to nip to the paper shop and a natter at the school gates, I'm thinking England is the place.

Perhaps I haven't TRIED hard enough, but I don't want to have to be continually TRYING to arrange play dates for my children!

The list of the "Whys and wherefores" are a lot longer than the couple listed here - but I won't bore you all with them.

Very best wishes to you all
MLB
Old Mar 7th 2010, 3:10 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

No. But I have spent so much time in the US it will not be a culture shock as has been speculated.

I recognise the hypocrisy of those people who are sat in newly adopted countries looking through rose tinted glasses about the home they left behind whilst all the time complaining about their current life. Do what Im doing, I don't like the place this country has become, so Im leaving. Thats my opinion and Im entitled to it.

If they don't like where they are, they simply get up and leave. Thats their choice. They aren t doing so because they choose to stay for reason x, y and z.

Im glad the two individuals in question are leaving the US to come back to the UK, because they will obviously be happier here. Though I would say, every years you have millions of people wanting to go the US and there are record numbers leaving the UK to go anywhere but.

These individuals are entitled to their opinion but interestingly, they sit there thousands of miles away and criticise my opinion. They chose in the first place to move to the US, after all.

Just as I thought.
Old Mar 7th 2010, 4:56 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Elvira
Have you seen this:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisf...-education-tax

"everyone knows California's heading in the wrong direction here, yet the financial crisis is so vast, and the options for raising taxes so limited at this point because of the toxic politics around the issue" (of education funding).

Scary stuff...
It is a pretty scary situation. Dh keeps saying they must fund the Uni's or we'll end up with a whole generation who will have lost the chance to go onto further education, there aren't enough McD's to employ everyone someone has to be the manager.
Our school district is only small 6 elementary schools one middle and one high school and every year since I can remember they hand out pink slips in March, then re hire as many as they can afford in the summer ready for the new school year. And yet somehow we get though. That was before, now it has got worse, they are facing 30 teacher lay offs and can't afford to take them back classes have been cut to the bare bones, to the point that there's nothing to choose from for the kids to fill their schedules so they can graduate.
Old Mar 7th 2010, 5:07 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

It is a pretty scary situation. Dh keeps saying they must fund the Uni's or we'll end up with a whole generation who will have lost the chance to go onto further education.........
Unis are easier to fund because they simply pass the increases on to the students and parents - as well as cramming ever more students into the lecture theaters, having more classes taught by assistants and reducing professor face-time.

This is happening in the UK as well, of course, but the fees are still comparatively modest compared to the US. UC Berkeley fees now stand at $5,459.25 per semester for resident students.

http://registrar.berkeley.edu/Regist.../feesched.html

Not going to college really isn't an option - everything apart from bottle-washing seems to require a degree these days...
Old Mar 7th 2010, 7:27 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Originally Posted by Elvira
Unis are easier to fund because they simply pass the increases on to the students and parents - as well as cramming ever more students into the lecture theaters, having more classes taught by assistants and reducing professor face-time.

This is happening in the UK as well, of course, but the fees are still comparatively modest compared to the US. UC Berkeley fees now stand at $5,459.25 per semester for resident students.

http://registrar.berkeley.edu/Regist.../feesched.html

Not going to college really isn't an option - everything apart from bottle-washing seems to require a degree these days...
Ds's Uni is closer to $37,000 a year
Old Mar 8th 2010, 12:40 am
mrs sully

Mrs Sully is just really niceMrs Sully is just really niceMrs Sully is just really niceMrs Sully is just really niceMrs Sully is just really niceMrs Sully is just really niceMrs Sully is just really niceMrs Sully is just really niceMrs Sully is just really niceMrs Sully is just really niceMrs Sully is just really nice

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Could some of the posters on this thread please take the time to refresh their knowledge of the rules of BE, especially Rule 1.

Challenge others' points of view and opinions, but do so respectfully and thoughtfully ... without insult or personal attack.
Hear, hear Pollyana. This is such a lovely forum; it provides advice when we need it, a laugh when we are down and a gentle breeze to sooth the emotional storm that migrants feel. Here is a big for all of you out there today.

PS very wet and miserable in Canberra today.
Old Mar 8th 2010, 4:16 am
BE Forum Addict

ezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond repute

$37,000!!!!!!!!!! Dear Lord, that's a lotta lolly! Do all uni students have to pay that or are there plenty of grants etc?

Ds's Uni is closer to $37,000 a year
Old Mar 8th 2010, 9:56 am

gruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond repute

Even today I was in the Cotswolds on business ( I don't live there) which is a lovely place generally and there was many examples of the chav sociopaths mentioned previously in the thread. Places that I have visited on a number of occasions being overrun by the utterly selfish, ill-mannered and inconsiderate.

Dont get me wrong, nowhere is perfect, but ask yourself this - what kind of country has Britain become? There is a complete lack of social cohesion which most people face every day. Yes there are oddspots where the neighbours are all lovely and its all middle-class and safe, but they are now rare and diminishing. The reality for most people is dealing with ever increasing incidents of both antisocial behaviour and petty bureaucracy.
You've just described America, I do hope you like paperwork.
Old Mar 8th 2010, 11:16 am

manamama is a glorious beacon of lightmanamama is a glorious beacon of lightmanamama is a glorious beacon of lightmanamama is a glorious beacon of lightmanamama is a glorious beacon of lightmanamama is a glorious beacon of lightmanamama is a glorious beacon of lightmanamama is a glorious beacon of lightmanamama is a glorious beacon of lightmanamama is a glorious beacon of lightmanamama is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by MyLovelyBoys
Blimey - what a long thread! And, some good points made by all!

We have been living in France for the last 3 years or so. While it's lovely here, I'm feeling the pull of good old blighty. We have two young kids who have only known schooling here and I must admit, this is the thing I will miss most about France, not having any experience of UK schools (other than my own, 20 years ago!) I am panicing that my children will be approached by drug dealers outside of the school gates and they will be pesterring me for Nintendo DSs on an hourly basis (will resist for as long as I can!).
I go into our little school on a Thursday afternoon to teach the little kiddies English - purely on a volunteer basis. But do you know? The head asked me to go in and I said yes - so I went in! No CRB checks, no checking my background - they presume that as my children go to this school I am alright to go in - and I am, by the way!
I love that you are encouraged to managed your own risk here. The blokes who repair potholes simply stop their truck, shovel some tarmac in and off they go. No road closures, no contraflows - heaven!
However, we are BORED BORED BORED!
My children haven't been invited to a single birthday party here, no-one pops round for tea, meeting up at the park never happens here.
So to be able to nip to the paper shop and a natter at the school gates, I'm thinking England is the place.

Perhaps I haven't TRIED hard enough, but I don't want to have to be continually TRYING to arrange play dates for my children!

The list of the "Whys and wherefores" are a lot longer than the couple listed here - but I won't bore you all with them.

Very best wishes to you all
MLB

I think it's harder to make a decision to return when there are lovely bits to your life abroad.

We're in Spain and my children do have lovely schools and the binmen come every night...lots of nice aspects but the boredom is slowly erasing me..

We've had the experience and in comparison I feel that the UK offers so much more for my children in terms of opportunities for the future. Yes there is problems in the UK, but I know that no country is perfect, some are alot worse. What you gain in one area, you sacrifice something else.

I have experienced schooling in the UK and I think if you live in a half decent area, the children will get a great education especially then the parents give them the needed guidance. The kids that do the drugs are the kids whose parents usually don't give a monkeys. Before we left the UK, my children were in brillant schools (primary) and I regret taking them from them, but you live and learn.

For me I cannot live as a foreigner, an outsider or the "English women" for much longer. So the pull of being home and having that feeling of belonging is strong.

Anyway, back to you and I hope it becomes clear soon.

Last edited by manamama; Mar 8th 2010 at 11:21 am. Reason: added more - chatterbox syndrome
Old Mar 8th 2010, 1:50 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ezzie
$37,000!!!!!!!!!! Dear Lord, that's a lotta lolly! Do all uni students have to pay that or are there plenty of grants etc?
Some pay more.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.