Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

First trip back to UK in nearly 2 years......

First trip back to UK in nearly 2 years......

Old Apr 16th 2012, 5:04 am
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: First trip back to UK in nearly 2 years......

Some of us haven't been back to the UK in two years. Some of us have been back once in seven years. Honestly the way some people bang on you'd think it was elbow deep in chavs wearing white dog shit. However just like you get the 'the USA is highly regional' bollocks if you ever have the nerve to say you don't like something here, so is the UK.

I'm with Sally on this one, it is highly subjective. I'm not knocking the USA by any means but it's not all sunshine and lollypops out here. You might well love it and that's lovely but for me it's all right and no more, which is again very subjective.

The UK is where I want to be and no amount of 'it's gone to the dogs' mentality its going to change that.

For what it's worth, I'd take a million Heathrows over the shithole that is O'Hare.
Old Apr 16th 2012, 12:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

rallybug is a name known to allrallybug is a name known to allrallybug is a name known to allrallybug is a name known to allrallybug is a name known to allrallybug is a name known to allrallybug is a name known to allrallybug is a name known to allrallybug is a name known to allrallybug is a name known to allrallybug is a name known to all

Originally Posted by washsaint
I have to say that the opportunities out here are immense....so long as you are prepared to work hard and have a job with good health insurance.

My kids have opportunities (education and sports wise) they never had back in the UK. When we visited friends back in Wiltshire we were struck by the lack of opportunities for the kids (e.g. sports clubs - competitive - and professional coaching).

Plus, our youngest has some issues and in the Uk they couldn't cope yet over here from Day 1 he has had tremendous support and has thrived and is now a regular, hyper 8 year old!

Obviously some things are better in the Uk than here but, overall, we're one happy, settled family.
Isn't the sporting and educational opportunities dependent on where you live? For example, unless they lived in Swindon, I doubt that any of the towns are big enough for lots of opportunities on that front.

We're off on Wednesday down to Somerset for the UK celebration of our wedding last September, so get to meet up with my relatives and some friends, gives my wife chance to meet more of my relatives and friends, and her Mom and a friend are coming with us, so we get to show them some of the local area. Friends are coming down from the Isle of Man, Leeds, Suffolk, Kent and even the Netherlands, so Gin and I won't have to go anywhere
Old Apr 16th 2012, 11:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

Lothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond repute

The weather in the UK - grey skies are what you expect in this country as they are very common thanks to our geographical location, the Atlantic ocean and prevailing south west winds.

However, for much of February and March of this year cloudless blue skies lasted for weeks on end, and now, at this present time, many parts of England*have been officially declared "severe drought areas" - the worst drought ever recorded in parts of Eastern England and East Anglia - sixteen months ongoing of very low rainfall - the driest winter and spring on record in many areas.

*Eastern England - including East Yorkshire, East Anglia, South East England, Southern England, South West England, East Midlands, West Midlands - areas of official drought conditions.

April showers? Very hit and miss although sporadic showers are forecast for tomorrow Tuesday 17/04 in many areas.........cool!
Old Apr 17th 2012, 12:38 am
Forum Regular

MadRad has a reputation beyond reputeMadRad has a reputation beyond reputeMadRad has a reputation beyond reputeMadRad has a reputation beyond reputeMadRad has a reputation beyond reputeMadRad has a reputation beyond reputeMadRad has a reputation beyond reputeMadRad has a reputation beyond reputeMadRad has a reputation beyond reputeMadRad has a reputation beyond reputeMadRad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by washsaint
Finally the family and I went back to the Uk for 10 days.....not really a vacation as it was whizzing around the SOuth visiting friends and families.

We were amazed at how indoctrinated to the US we have become based on the observations we had on our return:

1) heathrow is a toilet
2) Price of gas is eye watering
3) driving round narrow streets with double parking was a nightmare
4) fantastic, lovely, beautiful beer (Tanglefoot, Doombar, Furkin, London Pride to name but a few) with fantastic country pubs with roaring fires!
5) Terrible service
6) Lovely, lovely sausage rolls, pasties, proper fish and chips, proper pies, proper biscuits and crisps
7) beautiful countryside, coastlines and hedgerows
8) Very, very expensive
9) Awful weather (slate grey skies with a real dampness in the air)

As much as we loved going back to visit, my wife (who did not want to move here initially) told everyone we would not be returning to the UK to live!

We also had a shocking experience of the good ol NHS.....my dad was diagnosed with cancer and told he needed chemo and they had it all booked and he refused and went for a second opinion. They then did another biopsy and he was told no further action was required!

When I compare that with the health treatment I have had in the US in the last 4 months it is night and day apart.

The trip back to the UK has cured any home sickness we may have had and although it is really hard leaving parents back there (especially as they get older) we now really believe the US is our home.
Interesting observations.

1. Heathrow isn't brilliant, but few airports are. Newark is particularly crappy - Heathrow is a paradise by comparison.
2. Petrol in the UK is outrageous. My parents live in the Highlands and the costs there are prohibitive. I do like the cheaper gas here. Unlike many other folk, I actually need to drive less here. I lived in a rural area in the UK so had a fifty mile commute each way to work, plus a bus on top. And the nearest major supermarket was 15 miles away, here it's 4. That said, the cost of car insurance is a rip off here.
3. The streets in major towns here are just as bad as the UK. And I miss the twisty fabulous country roads in Scotland - they're what driving was invested for.
4. I miss the lovely country pubs. I hate beer so can't comment on that!
5. Service here is generally fake, as others have said. And you don't get quality comments like 'Aww missus, that dress makes yer backside look awfy big, wait an ah'll get ye the other size', as I overheard in an M&S changing room in Glasgow at Christmas.
6. You're making me hungry!
7. The thing I miss most of all, after family.
8. Undoubtedly goods and services, restaurants and the like are pricey in the UK, but they are in parts of the US too. And I think they're generally better quality in the UK.
9. It definitely was rotten weather over Christmas!

As for the NHS, I wouldn't be here if it was for them. So I have nothing but praise. It's not perfect but it's damn good. So far, all my experiences of U healthcare have involved endless bureaucracy and loads of hassle.
Old Apr 17th 2012, 1:03 am

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
What's great about the UK is great, what's shit is shit.

What's great about the US is great, what's shit is shit.
Bob the Philosopher.

You're right, of course.
Old Apr 17th 2012, 1:06 am
Sursum corda

cindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter
Bob the Philosopher.

You're right, of course.
Exactly.
Old Apr 17th 2012, 1:09 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MadRad
1. Heathrow isn't brilliant, but few airports are. Newark is particularly crappy - Heathrow is a paradise by comparison.
Can ad Boston, Logan to that list...there's just bugger all to do in that stinking shitter and the parking is outrageous.
Old Apr 17th 2012, 1:19 am
Life goes on.

Uncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing
Honestly the way some people bang on you'd think it was elbow deep in chavs wearing white dog shit.
I'd say that was the perfect description, actually.
Old Apr 17th 2012, 1:39 am
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Uncle Ebenezer
I'd say that was the perfect description, actually.
Maybe for some parts but I never hear reports like that from the many friends and relatives I am still in touch with throughout the UK. It's sad if that's how your old stomping grounds have ended up though.
Old Apr 17th 2012, 1:46 am
Life goes on.

Uncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing
Maybe for some parts but I never hear reports like that from the many friends and relatives I am still in touch with throughout the UK. It's sad if that's how your old stomping grounds have ended up though.
I've said it before, but when I celebrate (flaunt?) my "Britishness", it's in memory of the country I grew up in and loved. It saddens me that it is only a memory and that place no longer exists.
Old Apr 17th 2012, 1:52 am
I have a comma problem

Originally Posted by Uncle Ebenezer
I've said it before, but when I celebrate (flaunt?) my "Britishness", it's in memory of the country I grew up in and loved. It saddens me that it is only a memory and that place no longer exists.
I suppose that's regional as well. When you grew up where I did, anything is an improvement on the bloody provos blowing shit up ...

By all accounts, from what I hear taking to people, it seems fine back home in Carrick and Belfast for me, my ma's the kind of bird that'd tell me if it had all gone to shit, which is handy. Smaller populations have their advantages sometimes.

You flaunt away though, nothing wrong with being proud of that which made you who you are.
Old Apr 17th 2012, 2:07 am
Forum Regular

michael rothwell is a jewel in the roughmichael rothwell is a jewel in the roughmichael rothwell is a jewel in the roughmichael rothwell is a jewel in the rough

I loved MA but not the Health Insurance one big rip off and why is it
American Doctors all want you to see this person just so you can pay out
more money for the size of the country they should have cheaper health care america's is just about Money
Old Apr 17th 2012, 2:10 am
Banned

Ethelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
Can ad Boston, Logan to that list...there's just bugger all to do in that stinking shitter and the parking is outrageous.
Logan is a turd. East Midlands Airport has more facilities. Miami International is even worse.
Old Apr 17th 2012, 2:11 am
Banned

Ethelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by michael rothwell
more money for the size of the country they should have cheaper health care america's is just about Money
Welcome to the United $tate$.
Old Apr 17th 2012, 2:13 am
Joined on April fools day

Beaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by michael rothwell
The reason american doctors want you to see other doctors is american LAWYERS. Cover all bases so you will not be sued for millions. That also partly explains some of the high cost.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.