Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

First trip back to UK in nearly 2 years......

First trip back to UK in nearly 2 years......

Old Apr 19th 2012, 3:16 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: First trip back to UK in nearly 2 years......

Originally Posted by paranoidandroid
How do you know? It's impossible to tell with him.
Well I know which one it was because I said it. I'm interested to know which one he thinks I think it was.
Old Apr 19th 2012, 3:16 pm
WTF?

Leslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by zargof
It was an accusation, it was a request.
It was the best of times, it was the worst of times.
Old Apr 21st 2012, 7:01 am
Joined on April fools day

Beaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AmerLisa
Oakland comes to mind....
They were talking about airports not a whole city.
Old Apr 21st 2012, 7:33 am
Joined on April fools day

Beaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Homeiswheretheheartis
We could argue to the cows come home regards likes and dislikes of the US and UK.

How people feel about airports, service, weather, food, houses and education are all a matter of opinion.

But the two things that the UK does better that the US hands down, are the NHS and gun laws.

Providing health care for all and not arming any nutter with a gun, cannot be argued against

Ebenezer: I am glad you are happy to be in the US

I understand what you mean regarding many values of the 60's and 70's have gone, but that is the same for the US as well as the UK.

You are complaining that people are looking at the UK with rose tinted glasses, but the tone of your posts give the impression that you are looking at the UK with cynical specs on. This is why you are getting so many defensive replies.

You mentioned that you left the UK in 2002 which is not a lifetime ago, I wounder how you will feel in the future, I do hope you continue to be happy here and don't start posts with: The US is not like it used to be in the 2012.
"not arming any nutter with a gun cannot be argued against"Read around a bit.
Old Apr 21st 2012, 2:26 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Beaverstate
They were talking about airports not a whole city.
lol, I haven't been to Oakland, only the airport.... But that's pretty much the truth with a lot of cities, I've only visiting their airports and some are pretty ghastly!
Old Apr 21st 2012, 3:47 pm
Sursum corda

cindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond repute

lol, I haven't been to Oakland, only the airport.... But that's pretty much the truth with a lot of cities, I've only visiting their airports and some are pretty ghastly!
My sole claim to setting foot in Texas, has been flying in and out of DFW and IAH.
Old Apr 21st 2012, 3:51 pm
Septic Sprout

tonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cindyabs
My sole claim to setting foot in Texas, has been flying in and out of DFW and IAH.
You should try Houston properly one day. I hear it's nice.
Old Apr 21st 2012, 4:02 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute

I have been to both airports and have lived (for a year) in Texas (and lived to tell the tale! ) The airports weren't bad (but this has been many years ago), DFW was HUGE!.
Old Apr 21st 2012, 4:06 pm
Sursum corda

cindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tonrob
You should try Houston properly one day. I hear it's nice.
I actually did stay for two nights in Houston, but it was the Sofitel at IAH. That's all I saw was the skyline in the distance.
The ex was there for his preliminary with Brown and Root for Operation Joint Endeavor so he was tied up the whole time we were there.
Old Apr 21st 2012, 4:14 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

I actually did stay for two nights in Houston, but it was the Sofitel at IAH. That's all I saw was the skyline in the distance.
The ex was there for his preliminary with Brown and Root for Operation Joint Endeavor so he was tied up the whole time we were there.
Ahhh, Brown and Root.... I think just about every member of my family have worked for that company in some capacity...
Old Apr 21st 2012, 5:09 pm
Sursum corda

Ahhh, Brown and Root.... I think just about every member of my family have worked for that company in some capacity...
It was wild, we were in that group at IAH the only Yankees, ALL of the rest were from two parishes in Louisiana. Literally, everybody and his brother etc........
Old Apr 21st 2012, 8:12 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

It was wild, we were in that group at IAH the only Yankees, ALL of the rest were from two parishes in Louisiana. Literally, everybody and his brother etc........
I believe it....
Old Apr 25th 2012, 6:34 pm
Forum Regular

Sassyjaybabe is just really niceSassyjaybabe is just really niceSassyjaybabe is just really niceSassyjaybabe is just really niceSassyjaybabe is just really niceSassyjaybabe is just really niceSassyjaybabe is just really niceSassyjaybabe is just really niceSassyjaybabe is just really nice

I have been here less than 8 months and up until I booked a flight back to go in September I was feeling so unsettled here and yearning to go back.
Now I have that booked I feel more settled here and also excited about the trip (which evidently starts 2 days before I have been here afull year).

I admit that I am the person who didnt want to move to USA, so in my mind it has always been temporary, I really do wonder whether my perspective of USA and UK will be different when I take a trip back and also whether I will then decide that actually USA is the place to stay.
Old Apr 25th 2012, 6:50 pm
The Brit is back

Lorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sassyjaybabe
I have been here less than 8 months and up until I booked a flight back to go in September I was feeling so unsettled here and yearning to go back.
Now I have that booked I feel more settled here and also excited about the trip (which evidently starts 2 days before I have been here afull year).

I admit that I am the person who didnt want to move to USA, so in my mind it has always been temporary, I really do wonder whether my perspective of USA and UK will be different when I take a trip back and also whether I will then decide that actually USA is the place to stay.
I have been here (Canada) 4 and a half years, homesick 3 and a half. I booked my visit back to England last summer and on the run up to it I started to settle down and feel OK about living here.
I then went back and had a great time, came back to Canada and still felt settled. I had missed my own bed in my own room in my own house and was happy to get back to it. After a few weeks the homesickness came back
I think because I knew I was going back I felt happy and excited about it which gave me a false sense of security.

I am returning home forever next July

I hope you manage to settle in San Diego. I have visited and it is a wonderful place. As we all know though, visiting somewhere is so different from living there.
Old Apr 25th 2012, 6:55 pm
Forum Regular

Sassyjaybabe is just really niceSassyjaybabe is just really niceSassyjaybabe is just really niceSassyjaybabe is just really niceSassyjaybabe is just really niceSassyjaybabe is just really niceSassyjaybabe is just really niceSassyjaybabe is just really niceSassyjaybabe is just really nice

Originally Posted by Lorry1
I have been here (Canada) 4 and a half years, homesick 3 and a half. I booked my visit back to England last summer and on the run up to it I started to settle down and feel OK about living here.
I then went back and had a great time, came back to Canada and still felt settled. I had missed my own bed in my own room in my own house and was happy to get back to it. After a few weeks the homesickness came back
I think because I knew I was going back I felt happy and excited about it which gave me a false sense of security.

I am returning home forever next July

I hope you manage to settle in San Diego. I have visited and it is a wonderful place. As we all know though, visiting somewhere is so different from living there.
Well, I cant ever see me seeing San Diego as "HOME" but I hope that I can at least feel as settled as I do now for the time that I am here! I hope its not just a false sense of feeling settled because of the trip back being planned!