Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

First trip back to UK in nearly 2 years......

First trip back to UK in nearly 2 years......

Old Apr 18th 2012, 4:36 pm
Life goes on.

Uncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: First trip back to UK in nearly 2 years......

Originally Posted by Ethelred_the_Unready
Keep evading the question....
I miss the place where, as kids, we could go off on our bikes for a whole day, or out after dark and our parents wouldn't worry about us.

I miss the place where the police, teachers and other figures of authority were respected by children/youth and not spat at and abused. Where discipline existed.

I miss the place where gangs only fought each other and not innocent people.

Before you build yet another straw man and tell me this is all the same in the US, the original post and everything I've commented on, has been about the UK.
Old Apr 18th 2012, 4:36 pm
Just Joined

Moneybrother is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by N1cky
I must admit one thing I love here is when you go to shopping centres and you have all the nice couch areas with room to sit down and have a cup of coffee. In the UK they would be covered in fag holes with teenage chavs hogging them all and glaring at anyone who dared to try and sit down.

I don't get the mentality of many in the UK of destroying things just for the sake of it. You don't go to playgrounds in the US and find dog shit smeared down the slide and broken glass everywhere.
Sounds very nice, but I have never seen any shopping centres with couch areas in my 10 years in the US.
Old Apr 18th 2012, 4:38 pm
Life goes on.

Uncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Moneybrother
Maybe because you brought up unemployment in the UK.....
I brought it up, because Sally said "All the people I know are employed and doing fine, most have multiple holidays every year."

Clear enough for you?
Old Apr 18th 2012, 4:39 pm

N1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Uncle Ebenezer
I miss the place where, as kids, we could go off on our bikes for a whole day, or out after dark and our parents wouldn't worry about us.

I miss the place where the police, teachers and other figures of authority were respected by children/youth and not spat at and abused. Where discipline existed.

Before you build yet another straw man and tell me this is all the same in the US, the original post and everything I've commented on, has been about the UK.
That's not a reason for not liking the UK though, that's not liking what society has become worldwide.

Originally Posted by Moneybrother
Sounds very nice, but I have never seen any shopping centres with couch areas in my 10 years in the US.
Really? You need to get out to the nice bits a bit more often. I'm not sure I've been to a mall in the US that hasn't had them.
Old Apr 18th 2012, 4:39 pm
Just Joined

I brought it up, because Sally said "All the people I know are employed and doing fine, most have multiple holidays every year."

Clear enough for you?
fair enough dude
Old Apr 18th 2012, 4:40 pm
Banned

Ethelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond repute

You just miss a bygone era; the UK actually has nothing to do with it, in reality.

Applied to the world in general, I might just agree with you on much of that.
Old Apr 18th 2012, 4:40 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

I must admit one thing I love here is when you go to shopping centres and you have all the nice couch areas with room to sit down and have a cup of coffee. In the UK they would be covered in fag holes with teenage chavs hogging them all and glaring at anyone who dared to try and sit down.

I don't get the mentality of many in the UK of destroying things just for the sake of it. You don't go to playgrounds in the US and find dog shit smeared down the slide and broken glass everywhere.
Yes

They put some nice sofas in the new shopping centre in Solihull, but they were usually packed with people shovelling Greggs pasties down their throats/dropping everywhere.

Yes that destruction thing is weird. If I see a nice mural or statue here I wonder how long it would last in the UK
Old Apr 18th 2012, 4:41 pm
Life goes on.

Originally Posted by Leslie

I'll weigh in on that. He's a vicious bastard but definitely not a racist.
Old Apr 18th 2012, 4:41 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ethelred_the_Unready
You just miss a bygone era; the UK actually has nothing to do with it, in reality.

Applied to the world in general, I might just agree with you on much of that.
Yes definitely.

Eb, you must be in a very sheltered part of the US if there is no gang activity.
Old Apr 18th 2012, 4:42 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

For what it's worth, I can understand your position given the experiences you descibed you and your parents having in your old hometown and I am sad that something like that had to happen at all, irrespective of where it took place.
Old Apr 18th 2012, 4:43 pm
-------------------------

paranoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Leslie
I've given this quite a bit of thought and I generally hate airports. Fact.
Don't we all? Horrible impersonal spaces, full of people rushing around in a stressed out state of mind.
Old Apr 18th 2012, 4:43 pm
Just Joined

Really? You need to get out to the nice bits a bit more often. I'm not sure I've been to a mall in the US that hasn't had them.
Nope. Ok, I MIGHT have seen such an area in Raleigh-Durham, NC. Not 100% sure. Usually there is a co-called food court with metal (or plastic) chairs so one can sit there and chew on a burger or chick-fil a sandwich.
Old Apr 18th 2012, 4:44 pm
Sursum corda

cindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
Yes

They put some nice sofas in the new shopping centre in Solihull, but they were usually packed with people shovelling Greggs pasties down their throats/dropping everywhere.

Yes that destruction thing is weird. If I see a nice mural or statue here I wonder how long it would last in the UK
I hope you didn't like that God awful spray foam statue of Workers or whatever it was in Brum, that caught fire and melted.
Old Apr 18th 2012, 4:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

Ash UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond repute

Me either the local ones all have couches/arm chairs.

No fag burns either, although there has been no indoor smoking in the UK for quite a while so you probably wouldn't find them in the UK either.
Old Apr 18th 2012, 4:46 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
Yes

Funny you should mention the murals. I once saw a gable end in Belfast that was sprayed with the notice 'Reserved for UDA mural"

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.