Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

First trip back to UK in nearly 2 years......

First trip back to UK in nearly 2 years......

Old Apr 18th 2012, 4:21 pm
Banned

Ethelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: First trip back to UK in nearly 2 years......

Originally Posted by Uncle Ebenezer
I'm sure all the unnecessary CCTV cameras make them feel safe.

It's nice to know that unemployment has disappeared and everybody is well-off now, though.
...because there's no such thing as unemployment in the US, of course. All those states with double digit unemployment figures must be making it up.
Old Apr 18th 2012, 4:23 pm
WTF?

Leslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing
Actually, that isn't something you could accuse him of, in fairness.

I'll weigh in on that. He's a vicious bastard but definitely not a racist.
Sursum corda

cindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond repute

Look at a photo of Belfast city centre from 1986 and then compare to one from now. Royal Avenue and Lower Garfield St are still generally derelict and grim but in and around the city hall area it's a totally different city.

I can see how some parts are worse, without a doubt, but some parts have, indeed improved. Of course, I go on a google street tour of the old street I lived in and not one thing has changed down that way! Good old sleepy Carrick
Saw a very interesting docu on the building of the Titanic and Belfast then and now, along with mention of course, of the Troubles. That new museum which reminds me of DFW (homage to Leslie's airport) terminal, but in a good way.
Banned

Ethelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond repute

Actually, that isn't something you could accuse him of, in fairness.
That's why I asked him what he misses about the 60's and 70's specifically and how Britain has changed into such a cesspool since then, according to him.
Old Apr 18th 2012, 4:24 pm
Sursum corda

cindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond repute

I can understand where the view comes from, I just don't personally agree with it.

Yep. I love flying when I'm on the plane but I hate the bit you have to do beforehand.
and the after not so much fun either.
Old Apr 18th 2012, 4:27 pm
Life goes on.

Uncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ethelred_the_Unready
You seem to be longing for the UK of a bygone era, but you're missing a point I made earlier that times change everywhere and such changes (whether drastic or just perceived as so) are not mutually exclusive to the UK. I bet if you asked an American of your age bracket who has lived in the US for the duration of his or her life, they will tell you that the US has changed drastically since the 60's and 70's. Society in general has changed, maybe for the better, maybe for the worse. I'll hazard a guess that it's just that you're more detached from it now than you were in the UK, where it's a lot harder to ignore the ills of society, which exist in both countries, only one does a better job of sweeping them under the rug.

What is it you miss so much from the 60's and 70's anyway? Endless strikes, fuel shortages? Or are you one of those who can't stand the fact that Britain is now multicultural?
Well, Eth, you're certainly quick on the uptake, aren't you??!!
Old Apr 18th 2012, 4:28 pm
WTF?

Leslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond repute

That's why I asked him what he misses about the 60's and 70's specifically and how Britain has changed into such a cesspool since then, according to him.
That's a pretty sleazy stretch considering the fact he's only complained about chavs and not any ethnic groups.
Old Apr 18th 2012, 4:28 pm
Sursum corda

Originally Posted by Leslie
Oh now you've gone and set off World War 3. Thanks a lot.
Yeah, but remember, we'll be late to that one also.....................

Old Apr 18th 2012, 4:30 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cindyabs
Saw a very interesting docu on the building of the Titanic and Belfast then and now, along with mention of course, of the Troubles. That new museum which reminds me of DFW (homage to Leslie's airport) terminal, but in a good way.
That's one sad thing about Belfast though, that Harland & Wolff, once the largest shipyard in the world, is barely a shadow of its former self.

Belfast is really pushing the Titanic connection this year, though
Old Apr 18th 2012, 4:31 pm
Banned

Well, Eth, you're certainly quick on the uptake, aren't you??!!
Keep evading the question....
Life goes on.

Uncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond repute

...because there's no such thing as unemployment in the US, of course. All those states with double digit unemployment figures must be making it up.
Why do you keep building straw men? Sally was talking about the UK ... I commented on that. What has unemployment in the US got to do with that?
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Leslie
That's a pretty sleazy stretch considering the fact he's only complained about chavs and not any ethnic groups.
Saying 'Britain is not the same as it used to be' is often a code for 'too many Pakis now', that is not what Eb is saying but I'm not totally clear what he feels has changed. Maybe more kids in the town centres at the weekends, I agree that is not such a nice phenomenon.
Old Apr 18th 2012, 4:34 pm
Just Joined

Moneybrother is an unknown quantity at this point

Why do you keep building straw men? Sally was talking about the UK ... I commented on that. What has unemployment in the US got to do with that?
Maybe because you brought up unemployment in the UK.....
Old Apr 18th 2012, 4:34 pm

N1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
Saying 'Britain is not the same as it used to be' is often a code for 'too many Pakis now', that is not what Eb is saying but I'm not totally clear what he feels has changed. Maybe more kids in the town centres at the weekends, I agree that is not such a nice phenomenon.
I must admit one thing I love here is when you go to shopping centres and you have all the nice couch areas with room to sit down and have a cup of coffee. In the UK they would be covered in fag holes with teenage chavs hogging them all and glaring at anyone who dared to try and sit down.

I don't get the mentality of many in the UK of destroying things just for the sake of it. You don't go to playgrounds in the US and find dog shit smeared down the slide and broken glass everywhere.
Old Apr 18th 2012, 4:35 pm
WTF?

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
I see. But he did go into pretty great detail about exactly what he did mean - which is the chav culture. Then again, I know all about it because he's been obsessing over it for years.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.