Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

First trip back to UK in nearly 2 years......

First trip back to UK in nearly 2 years......

Old Apr 17th 2012, 11:22 pm
Banned

Ethelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: First trip back to UK in nearly 2 years......

Originally Posted by Uncle Ebenezer
Well, the "Victorian" jibe, with its startling originality, stung me badly.

You solve nothing, by building a straw man out of your happy stamping grounds in the US (which, I must say, impressed me immensely - I imagine you were held in the greatest respect by the noble gang members in Little Haiti). I really don't care about inner-city violence anywhere in the world, when I'm talking about semi-rural England. All you are doing, is proving you have no understanding of the issue. You compound this, by admitting you know nothing of the era I'm talking about. If you didn't experience the era, you therefore know nothing of the change and your views (or non-views, in your case) have absolutely no relevance. Added to that, it was you who made the initial comparison between the UK and US, you cretin.

Now, run along sonny and see if there is anything you actually can make a success of, as adapting to the US was too much for you.
Well, unlike yourself, I actually lived in the UK this side of World War 2 and my opinions don't come from reading the Daily Mail online. I've lived in semi-rural and urban England, while you were out here tuned into Fox News.

Frankly, it's clear that you know nothing of the modern day UK. You expect us to allow you your angry, meaningless hissy fits / rants, yet you won't allow anyone to express a different opinion without getting upset.

You're an angry, irrelevant little man. Stay in suburban Texas or wherever the heck you live, far away from those horrible chavs and Muslims. At your stage in life, any kind of excitement could be bad for the old ticker.
Old Apr 17th 2012, 11:31 pm
Life goes on.

Uncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ethelred_the_Unready
Well, unlike yourself, I actually lived in the UK this side of World War 2 and my opinions don't come from reading the Daily Mail online. I've lived in semi-rural and urban England, while you were out here tuned into Fox News.

Frankly, it's clear that you know nothing of the modern day UK. You expect us to allow you your angry, meaningless hissy fits / rants, yet you won't allow anyone to express a different opinion without getting upset.

You're an angry, irrelevant little man. Stay in suburban Texas or wherever the heck you live, far away from those horrible chavs and Muslims. At your stage in life, any kind of excitement could be bad for the old ticker.
Says the boy whose initial hissy fit/rant I replied to. Just for the record, spotty, never been a Wail reader and never watched Fox News, but don't let that get in the way of your blinkers.

<snip>

Last edited by Sue; Apr 17th 2012 at 11:38 pm. Reason: Removed quoted post that has been deleted
Old Apr 18th 2012, 12:03 am
Septic Sprout

tonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond repute

According to Wikipedia:

The Brussels sprout is a cultivar of wild cabbage grown for its edible buds. The leafy green vegetables are typically 2.5–4 cm (0.98–1.6 in) in diameter and look like miniature cabbages. The sprout is Brassica oleracea, in the "gemmifera" group of the family Brassicaceae. The Brussels sprout has long been popular in Brussels, Belgium and may have originated there.
Old Apr 18th 2012, 12:30 am
Sursum corda

cindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tonrob
According to Wikipedia:
now check out the game Half Rubber.
Old Apr 18th 2012, 12:43 am
Septic Sprout

tonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cindyabs
now check out the game Half Rubber.
Sounds like a sexual version of Russian roulette...
Old Apr 18th 2012, 12:45 am
Just Joined

Moneybrother is an unknown quantity at this point

I live in rural/semi-rural Virginia and things here is far some the cozy upper middleclass suburban life many of you live. Life in rural US can be very violent and fuled with crack and meth. Enjoy your luxurious suburban life, nothing wrong with that, but the UK bashing is too much at times and not put in a very good context.

Take Danvill, Va town of 40.000 people.
Crime
Murder 20.9
Rape 60.38
Robbery 132.38
Assault 169.55
Burglary 1275.11
Automobile Theft 153.29

In 2010 report rates were recalculated using the population estimates from the Weldon Cooper database and available from The Danville Police Department.

Sources:
http://danville-va.gov/DocumentCenter/Home/View/3493
Old Apr 18th 2012, 12:51 am
Forum Regular

Homeiswheretheheartis has a reputation beyond reputeHomeiswheretheheartis has a reputation beyond reputeHomeiswheretheheartis has a reputation beyond reputeHomeiswheretheheartis has a reputation beyond reputeHomeiswheretheheartis has a reputation beyond reputeHomeiswheretheheartis has a reputation beyond reputeHomeiswheretheheartis has a reputation beyond reputeHomeiswheretheheartis has a reputation beyond reputeHomeiswheretheheartis has a reputation beyond reputeHomeiswheretheheartis has a reputation beyond reputeHomeiswheretheheartis has a reputation beyond repute

I'm sick and tired of being told, by you lovers of all things British, that I'm not entitled to my own opinion - I'm British, hate what has happened to the country I grew up in and will exercise my right to express it. I won't object to you telling us it's still that green and pleasant land, peopled by quirky, loveable folk and certainly won't apologise for balancing it, by telling it as I see it.

I loved growing up in England, in the 60's and 70's - a land of (comparative) freedom, where good old fashioned family values were the norm. That changed, certainly in my part of East Sussex, to a place ruled by gangs of disaffected youths, to such an extent that my parents, who had lived in the same village for all of their 80 plus years, were afraid to go out. In fact, most people are afraid to go out at night, young and old.

So, how about you take off your rose-tinted spectacles for a while and admit that Britain isn't the paradise of village pubs and eccentrics you portray. Those of us who are fortunate enough to be happy where we've landed are just as entitled to voice our opinions as those of you who are miserable and disenfranchised.
I only left the UK 7 months ago and do not recognise the UK you are talking about.

I didn't leave because I was unhappy in the UK.

I also have a very nice lifestyle here, a big house, lots of sun, husband good job, kids in good schools, live in very good area, very good health care.

Despite all of that I cannot get my head around living in a county that does not care for their poor, does not offer health care to all, where there is an acceptance of children living in cars and they take guns to school and use them

You have the right to dis the UK, just as much as people champion the UK, just as much as people have the right to disagree with you and stick up of a country and system they believe is better.
Old Apr 18th 2012, 1:01 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Homeiswheretheheartis
I only left the UK 7 months ago and do not recognise the UK you are talking about.

I also have a very nice lifestyle here, a big house, lots of sun, husband good job, kids in good schools, live in very good area, very good health care.

Despite all of that I cannot get my head around living in a county that does not care for their poor, does not offer health care to all, where there is an acceptance of children living in cars and they take guns to school and use them

You have the right to dis the UK, just as much as people champion the UK, just as much as people have the right to disagree with you and stick up of a country and system they believe is better.
My parents live in East Sussex and I am not aware of any gangs of youths putting people in fear either.
Old Apr 18th 2012, 1:04 am
Banned

Ethelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond repute

Says the boy whose initial hissy fit/rant I replied to. Just for the record, spotty, never been a Wail reader and never watched Fox News, but don't let that get in the way of your blinkers.

<snip>
You're the one whining about a country you haven't lived for the best part of half a century

I've figured it out though Aunt Eb: you're terrified of chavs! So with that being the case, I hope this doesn't give you too many nightmares:

Old Apr 18th 2012, 1:08 am
Septic Sprout

You're the one whining about a country you haven't lived for the best part of half a century

I've figured it out though Aunt Eb: you're terrified of chavs! So with that being the case, I hope this doesn't give you too many nightmares:

http://www.dangerousminds.net/images...hav_thumb.jpeg
Isn't that Goldie Lookin' Chain?
Old Apr 18th 2012, 1:09 am
Banned

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
My parents live in East Sussex and I am not aware of any gangs of youths putting people in fear either.
What about the East Sussex Massive or the South of Central Hastings Crew? They're quite notorious gangs, so I've heard. They make the Bloods and Crips look like a bunch of raving pansies. Eastbourne and Rye are scary places too; one wrong turn and you're in a world of hurt, bullets and mayhem.
Old Apr 18th 2012, 1:15 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

What about the East Sussex Massive or the South of Central Hastings Crew? They're quite notorious gangs, so I've heard. They make the Bloods and Crips look like a bunch of raving pansies. Eastbourne and Rye are scary places too; one wrong turn and you're in a world of hurt, bullets and mayhem.

I suppose he might be thinking of the Brighton Interior Decorators Posse.
Old Apr 18th 2012, 1:19 am

N1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by robin1234
"Did you find everything you were looking for today?"
Oh dear that innocent question is one of the banes of my life.. my wife keeps threatening to give the next cashier an honest and fully-featured response to that question. So far, I've managed to keep her in check..
I always answer honestly and found if I say 'no, I couldn't find Mr Kiplings Christmas Cake Slices' or something similar I get 20% off all my shopping

[QUOTE=Homeiswheretheheartis;10011391]

QUOTE]

I really agree with this. The lack of care people have for the poor is awful, and their answer to everything is 'they should get a better job.' They don't consider the country would go to the dogs if bin men, cleaners, shelf stackers... didn't exist
Old Apr 18th 2012, 1:26 am
Banned

Originally Posted by Sally Redux

I suppose he might be thinking of the Brighton Interior Decorators Posse.
Mess with those guys and it's well and truly curtains.
Old Apr 18th 2012, 1:29 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Mess with those guys and it's well and truly curtains.
Now I'm thinking of the Monty Python sketch where he wants to join a regiment that works with fabrics

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.