Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

Do you worry about raising your kids in the UK?

Do you worry about raising your kids in the UK?

Old Jan 22nd 2008, 5:35 am
BE Forum Addict

ezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Do you worry about raising your kids in the UK?

I guess there's always another side to the story...we loved the composites. It gave my kids the opportunity to do more advanced work and stopped them getting bored brainless.

This is high school we're talking about though. That system would work if there was just one particular school in an area which was popular and oversubscribed to, but if every school in the Northern area of Brum is full....madness!

I think the Aussie system is brilliant. Everyone knows where they stand. You go to your 'local' school and if you have a good reason not to, you can apply elsewhere, if you don't have a good reason for not going there, then you can go private!

The only good thing about the conversations on the phone last night to schools/LEA was that I got to talk to some really lovely, friendly Poms...just a pity they had such bad news for me!

Originally Posted by rabsody
I appealed and won when my daughter was refused a place at our local school - we were literally a few streets away FFS! - so it does happen. As SGG says, you will be in a stronger position when you are there.

I agree that the UK system can be quite ludicrous (see above) but the downside of the Aussie policy to accept any child who applies is that you get these awful composite classes, sometimes spanning 2-3 different years, to accommodate all the "extra" children that don't make up a class. We had a very bad experience in this regard and it took my daughter two years to catch up to her peers again.

It must be rather stressful for you trying to get all this sorted though. Good luck.
Old Jan 22nd 2008, 6:17 am

pgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JoB
Is this not racist againts fishes!!!!
Certainly not racist, worse, specist !!!. And after ET told all back home we were so welcoming
Old Jan 22nd 2008, 7:33 am
Galaxy 1: Cadbury's 0

uk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ezzie
I think the Aussie system is brilliant. Everyone knows where they stand. You go to your 'local' school and if you have a good reason not to, you can apply elsewhere, if you don't have a good reason for not going there, then you can go private!

Same as in the UK, except when year groups are 'full', waiting lists then operate for new pupils on a 'one in, one out' basis. Quite common actually. And sensible, although frustrating to those new into areas obviously.

This also occurs in parts of NZ where everyone is meant to get a place at their local school regardless. Sometimes the Board of Governers 'close' to new applicants to protect the education standards of the school and its existing students. Looking at it objectively, it makes sense. But I can see it is tricky for the upwardly mobile.
Old Jan 22nd 2008, 10:12 am
BE Forum Addict

ezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, but this is the problem we have with the UK...the year group is full at schools for the entire Northern Birmingham area. Basically we have to home school or put them on a bus across the City and beyond. REally not a safe option. Nothing to do with being upwardly mobile, I can just see how diabolical this system is. I'm starting to hear all sorts of stories about, not so much not getting into a good school, but having to travel 20 kms or more to get to a dreadful school. Sigh...it's all getting pretty bleak. OK, so where's a nice (affordable) area with high schools that aren't full to the gunnels?

Originally Posted by uk+kiwi
Same as in the UK, except when year groups are 'full', waiting lists then operate for new pupils on a 'one in, one out' basis. Quite common actually. And sensible, although frustrating to those new into areas obviously.

This also occurs in parts of NZ where everyone is meant to get a place at their local school regardless. Sometimes the Board of Governers 'close' to new applicants to protect the education standards of the school and its existing students. Looking at it objectively, it makes sense. But I can see it is tricky for the upwardly mobile.
Old Jan 22nd 2008, 10:46 am
Account Closed

TraceyW is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by pommybird
Oh and by the way, what is it about you, everytime you start a perfectly reasonable innocent thread you seem to unintentionally invite all the racists and plonkers of the universe to impart their intellectual wisdom on the demise of the UK???
Just lucky I guess
Old Jan 22nd 2008, 11:01 am
Account Closed

TraceyW is an unknown quantity at this point

Sigh...it's all getting pretty bleak. OK, so where's a nice (affordable) area with high schools that aren't full to the gunnels?

O.k, do you want to stay around the Midlands for starters? If so, here's a little list of areas I've lived in, very happily, and they have decent schools;

Bromsgrove; South Bromsgrove High has a good reputation and my niece came out with good 'A' level grades, Duke of Edinburgh etc,. If you live north Bromsgrove i.e Lickey area (gorgeous) then the kids would go to Waseley Hills high and that too has a good reputation.

Southam; This is just outside Leamington Spa and is a nice large village/small town. The high school there is good too, so I hear. The villages surrounding Southam are picturesque and you'd still pick up a 3 bed semi there for around the 180k GBP. We used to live in Bishops Itchington, so lovely........fab little pub that never closed

Brum is over populated and congested, always has been and it's only going to get worse over the years to come. You'd be wise to move away from it.

I know you're frustrated about the crowded schools and you keep comparing it to the Aussie system, but remember, there are 62 million peeps living in Blighty, there's 21 million in Aus so it's bound to be a little 'cosier'!!
Old Jan 22nd 2008, 11:13 am
Account Closed

crystal23 is an unknown quantity at this point

I was just on the phone to the UK starting to sort out schools for our 'trial' return....well, that was the plan. The area we were going to has 4 high schools...all of them full! Now here, of course, the area school would just have to make room, but not in the UK. We've just been told that the only places are at schools that are on the Worcester/Brum border and that's where they'd have to attend even if living in the North of Brum. The other option is to homeschool! There are 'appeal' committees, but apparently they are rarely sucessful!

Now what do we do?

I can't believe it....(sounding like Victor Meldrew) it's like a 3rd world system. The staff at the LEA were ever so supportive and helpful and were frustrated with the system themselves, but absolutely nothing they could do.

So basically our whole 6 weeks of 'trialling the education system of the UK' would involve sitting at home! There's no way I'd put my young kids on a bus 20 km across the city each day. I can see my hopes for returning being whittled away and I just feel desperately low at the moment.

I am a bit confused here. Are you saying that you want to get your children into a school for 6 weeks only to try them out?

When do you want to do this because if it is for September then the people at the Education Dept are being economical with the truth to put it diplomatically. Allocations are done right up to August so nobody knows whether that year group is full yet for the start of the academic year. If you are looking at a late admission then I can see what they are saying. Wouldn't you better off asking for a week's trial at different schools as you are not sure whether you will be moving back anyway.

I have done a whole heap of research on this subject and have found the Ed Department, helpful as they are, to be a little bit lacking in their knowledge of the system so I really wouldn't take everything you hear as gospel.

There are new Codes of Admission/Appeals that have/are coming out. One came out on 17th January and the other is coming into force on the 28th Feb. Why don't you download the booklets from your potential council's website and read through them.

Regarding your comments on the system being easy for admission in Oz, I can only speak for Perth but it is not as easy as people may think. My daughter was refused a place at the one and only school in the suburb where I live. I had no idea I could appeal and ended up ringing 15 other schools to see if one would take my daughter. 12 were state schools who refused her a place because she was out of catchment and 3 were private who said they were full up and the waiting lists at 2 of them were closed.

Th school where my daughter was a refused a place is now telling applicants they "can offer a seat in a class but not an education" That is the principal's mantra.

Eventually I found a lovely little school who would take her but she had to go in a composite class which has done her no favours whatsoever and although she is happy there she is bored having been put down 2 years from UK level because of her birthdate. It might be easier in NSW but in Perth that has not been the case for us.

The bottom line is more schools need to built everywhere. The infrastructure is not keeping up with the population growth but thats another thread

I think someone said that school governers control the appeals system but if that was the case it has now changed under the new Appeals Code. As I read it anybody who cannot make an impartial decision is not allowed to be on the Appeals Panel.
Old Jan 22nd 2008, 11:26 am
Forum Regular

gsxrmad is just really nicegsxrmad is just really nicegsxrmad is just really nicegsxrmad is just really nicegsxrmad is just really nicegsxrmad is just really nicegsxrmad is just really nicegsxrmad is just really nicegsxrmad is just really nicegsxrmad is just really nicegsxrmad is just really nice

Originally Posted by crystal23
I am a bit confused here. Are you saying that you want to get your children into a school for 6 weeks only to try them out?

When do you want to do this because if it is for September then the people at the Education Dept are being economical with the truth to put it diplomatically. Allocations are done right up to August so nobody knows whether that year group is full yet for the start of the academic year. If you are looking at a late admission then I can see what they are saying. Wouldn't you better off asking for a week's trial at different schools as you are not sure whether you will be moving back anyway.

I have done a whole heap of research on this subject and have found the Ed Department, helpful as they are, to be a little bit lacking in their knowledge of the system so I really wouldn't take everything you hear as gospel.

There are new Codes of Admission/Appeals that have/are coming out. One came out on 17th January and the other is coming into force on the 28th Feb. Why don't you download the booklets from your potential council's website and read through them.

Regarding your comments on the system being easy for admission in Oz, I can only speak for Perth but it is not as easy as people may think. My daughter was refused a place at the one and only school in the suburb where I live. I had no idea I could appeal and ended up ringing 15 other schools to see if one would take my daughter. 12 were state schools who refused her a place because she was out of catchment and 3 were private who said they were full up and the waiting lists at 2 of them were closed.

Th school where my daughter was a refused a place is now telling applicants they "can offer a seat in a class but not an education" That is the principal's mantra.

Eventually I found a lovely little school who would take her but she had to go in a composite class which has done her no favours whatsoever and although she is happy there she is bored having been put down 2 years from UK level because of her birthdate. It might be easier in NSW but in Perth that has not been the case for us.

The bottom line is more schools need to built everywhere. The infrastructure is not keeping up with the population growth but thats another thread

I think someone said that school governers control the appeals system but if that was the case it has now changed under the new Appeals Code. As I read it anybody who cannot make an impartial decision is not allowed to be on the Appeals Panel.
Hi, we had exactly the same problem when we arrived in perth!! I rang all the schools within a 30 min radius from where we lived both private and public. It was a nightmare. I rang the education department and told her I was having problem getting my children in school, she said, 'you really need to get them in school, ring me next week if they have not started' helpful!!!!

Eventually my son got a place in private 20 mins drive which was nice, but they did not have a place for my daughter and she could only get a place 10 mins drive from our house at a state school, and another 30 mins drive to my sons school, pick ups and drop offs were a nightmare. My daughter hated her school, they all swore even the teacher said the 'f' word, eventually my daughter got a place at the private school where my son was. Lovely!!!!!!
However, we have decided to go back to the UK, my daughter can get into her old school no problems, the head master there is fab and has emailed us while in oz!!! (that lovely community feel we miss). However no places for my son in his old school, where all his friends are, its a nightmare!!!!
Old Jan 22nd 2008, 2:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

Thanks Tracey....very helpful, or should I say "ta, our kid"....oooh, came over all Brummy then.

I shall do a bit more research.

Met an Aussie who's been in Warwick & Leamington for past 7 years and she's just back because of the schools. Interestingly, she said she didn't make many friends there because everyone kept to themselves and they weren't into the pub thing. Mind you, she also said that she 'didn't get' English humour, which would kind of set you back a bit socially.

It was just interesting to hear from someone who did exactly the same, for exactly the same reasons, but in completely opposite directions!

She did say the schools in UK were dreadful and that was the main reason for returning.

Originally Posted by TraceyW
O.k, do you want to stay around the Midlands for starters? If so, here's a little list of areas I've lived in, very happily, and they have decent schools;

Bromsgrove; South Bromsgrove High has a good reputation and my niece came out with good 'A' level grades, Duke of Edinburgh etc,. If you live north Bromsgrove i.e Lickey area (gorgeous) then the kids would go to Waseley Hills high and that too has a good reputation.

Southam; This is just outside Leamington Spa and is a nice large village/small town. The high school there is good too, so I hear. The villages surrounding Southam are picturesque and you'd still pick up a 3 bed semi there for around the 180k GBP. We used to live in Bishops Itchington, so lovely........fab little pub that never closed

Brum is over populated and congested, always has been and it's only going to get worse over the years to come. You'd be wise to move away from it.

I know you're frustrated about the crowded schools and you keep comparing it to the Aussie system, but remember, there are 62 million peeps living in Blighty, there's 21 million in Aus so it's bound to be a little 'cosier'!!
Old Jan 22nd 2008, 2:45 pm
'In limboland'

St.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Tracey....very helpful, or should I say "ta, our kid"....oooh, came over all Brummy then.

Met an Aussie who's been in Warwick & Leamington for past 7 years and she's just back because of the schools. Interestingly, she said she didn't make many friends there because everyone kept to themselves and they weren't into the pub thing. Mind you, she also said that she 'didn't get' English humour, which would kind of set you back a bit socially.

It was just interesting to hear from someone who did exactly the same, for exactly the same reasons, but in completely opposite directions!

She did say the schools in UK were dreadful and that was the main reason for returning.
How I hate such sweeping generalisations.
Old Jan 22nd 2008, 3:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

brits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond repute

I guess there's always another side to the story...we loved the composites. It gave my kids the opportunity to do more advanced work and stopped them getting bored brainless.

This is high school we're talking about though. That system would work if there was just one particular school in an area which was popular and oversubscribed to, but if every school in the Northern area of Brum is full....madness!

The only good thing about the conversations on the phone last night to schools/LEA was that I got to talk to some really lovely, friendly Poms...just a pity they had such bad news for me!
No not the case everywhere....I live south of the river in a new suburb we now have 4 primary schools in the area...and you have to now take your children out of the school to go to the school nearer your home....even if you child has been at their old school for a few years it does not matter...before the newer primary schools were built there was crowding...porta cabins were/are erected and very inexperienced teachers were filling the vacancies....also my son is one of the youngest in his year...we did not "put" him down a year as a lot do...he was advanced (through his early years at school in the U.K) for school year anyway...but the problem was my son could be in a class with a few children who were nearly two years older than him....not great when they are hearing and learning things they should not be from these older children...plus there is the physical development.......there can be huge differences between children who are nearly two years older...so it seems the same in most countries nowadays...the same for my sister while she lived outside of the U.K with her children....I suppose if we have it "good" we atomatically think it is the same the country over.....sometimes that might be true....more often than not it is not the case!!!!
Old Jan 22nd 2008, 8:08 pm
Galaxy 1: Cadbury's 0

uk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond repute

OK, so where's a nice (affordable) area with high schools that aren't full to the gunnels?
No idea, sorry.

If you like the school that is 20kms away, is the distance really an inhibitor? I know it's not ideal, but children of high school age can travel independently and many many children travel this distance every day to go to school. I have two neighbours both in year 7 (age 11/12) that leave the house at 7.15 to catch the bus/train for (different) schools.

Personally, I think the distance is more of an issue for their out of school socialising in the evenings and weekends due to the spread of their friends, than the distance to travel to actually go to school. Picking them up from the pub/party will be somewhat arduous. Then again, some parents don't do this and this may be looking too far ahead.

I believe things usually work out okay, although we may not always be aware of it.
Old Jan 23rd 2008, 1:25 am
BE Enthusiast

chance to be has a reputation beyond reputechance to be has a reputation beyond reputechance to be has a reputation beyond reputechance to be has a reputation beyond reputechance to be has a reputation beyond reputechance to be has a reputation beyond reputechance to be has a reputation beyond reputechance to be has a reputation beyond reputechance to be has a reputation beyond reputechance to be has a reputation beyond reputechance to be has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=gsxrmad;5826193]
However, we have decided to go back to the UK, my daughter can get into her old school no problems, the head master there is fab and has emailed us while in oz!!! (that lovely community feel we miss). QUOTE]

I emailed the head of our old kids school to get them back in when we came back. She went to the second hand clothes shop in the school and got them completely kitted out as a "welcome back" gift and meant a) I didnt have to fork out again when I couldnt afford it and B) kids looked the same as everyone else when they started back.
It truely was one of the many wonderful gestures Ive received since coming back
Both of my childrens schools are fantastic state schools with a cirriculum and out-of-school activies that are far more varied and surpass anything I personally experienced abroad.
Yes, community's great!
C
Old Jan 23rd 2008, 1:42 am
Banned

Backhomeatlast has a reputation beyond reputeBackhomeatlast has a reputation beyond reputeBackhomeatlast has a reputation beyond reputeBackhomeatlast has a reputation beyond reputeBackhomeatlast has a reputation beyond reputeBackhomeatlast has a reputation beyond reputeBackhomeatlast has a reputation beyond reputeBackhomeatlast has a reputation beyond reputeBackhomeatlast has a reputation beyond reputeBackhomeatlast has a reputation beyond reputeBackhomeatlast has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=chance to be;5828385]
Originally Posted by gsxrmad
However, we have decided to go back to the UK, my daughter can get into her old school no problems, the head master there is fab and has emailed us while in oz!!! (that lovely community feel we miss). QUOTE]

I emailed the head of our old kids school to get them back in when we came back. She went to the second hand clothes shop in the school and got them completely kitted out as a "welcome back" gift and meant a) I didnt have to fork out again when I couldnt afford it and B) kids looked the same as everyone else when they started back.
It truely was one of the many wonderful gestures Ive received since coming back
Both of my childrens schools are fantastic state schools with a cirriculum and out-of-school activies that are far more varied and surpass anything I personally experienced abroad.
Yes, community's great!
C
That is one brilliant headmaster, I belive all schoolkids should wear uniforms as without them it causes so much trouble with the kids and bullying.
Old Jan 23rd 2008, 7:20 am
BE Forum Addict

That's fantastic....where have you moved back to in the UK? That really must have cemented the feeling that moving back was the right decision.

[quote=chance to be;5828385][quote=gsxrmad;5826193]

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.