Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

Do you worry about raising your kids in the UK?

Do you worry about raising your kids in the UK?

Old Sep 14th 2008, 6:42 am
I don't give a damn

Fleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Do you worry about raising your kids in the UK?

Originally Posted by BAY
What crime have you had in your area of Perth then .... I've got nothing to report from the area where I live
And your point is????

If i wanted to be really pedantic i could draw the comparison of my own experience. Never once been burgled and robbed in UK, yet was victim to a house invasion 2 weeks before i left Sydney. What conclusions can you draw from that?...bugger all in my book.

What a load of b*llocks
Old Sep 14th 2008, 6:49 am
BE Forum Addict

Tr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond repute

Once you're living in Australia to all intents and purposes you're already dead anyway.
Old Sep 14th 2008, 6:55 am
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tr1boy
Once you're living in Australia to all intents and purposes you're already dead anyway.
That is almost as boring to hear now as the england is going to the dogs posts
Old Sep 14th 2008, 8:09 am
UK is Home

Sunny_Glesga has a reputation beyond reputeSunny_Glesga has a reputation beyond reputeSunny_Glesga has a reputation beyond reputeSunny_Glesga has a reputation beyond reputeSunny_Glesga has a reputation beyond reputeSunny_Glesga has a reputation beyond reputeSunny_Glesga has a reputation beyond reputeSunny_Glesga has a reputation beyond reputeSunny_Glesga has a reputation beyond reputeSunny_Glesga has a reputation beyond reputeSunny_Glesga has a reputation beyond repute

Heres 3 i found in less than 60 seconds or 1 minute for those who dont understand and think it never happens

http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2...26/2315445.htm

http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2...13/2302188.htm

http://www.thewest.com.au/default.as...ontentID=66201
Old Sep 14th 2008, 8:59 am
BE Enthusiast

backagen has a reputation beyond reputebackagen has a reputation beyond reputebackagen has a reputation beyond reputebackagen has a reputation beyond reputebackagen has a reputation beyond reputebackagen has a reputation beyond reputebackagen has a reputation beyond reputebackagen has a reputation beyond reputebackagen has a reputation beyond reputebackagen has a reputation beyond reputebackagen has a reputation beyond repute

There is less crime in Australia and that's a fact you can check for yourself.

The reason is mainly because there are fewer people in Australia than UK.

For the same reason, there's more crime in Sydney than in Adelaide and there's more crime in Manchester than in Cornwall.

Simple maths!

It doesn't, however, necessarily make one place SAFER to live than another. Maybe in some cases it does, but overall not because what matters as far as safety goes is not how many crimes occur, per se, but how many crimes occur per capita in any given town / city / country.

I suspect you might well find the crime per capita is not much different in Sydney than it is in Manchester, for example!
Old Sep 14th 2008, 9:02 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

Yup, we had a double homicide in the suburb next to mine last week. Never happened where I lived in UK though - surprising isnt it?
Old Sep 14th 2008, 10:37 am
BE Enthusiast

Irish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by MikeStanton
You made some very good points.

It never ceases to amaze me the number of posts that start "We're living in a UK war zone, so the obvious thing to do is move to the other side of the world." Perhaps it does reflect on the standard of their UK education, but moving down the road/another town/county would be a far less disruptive option.

Two - but not the only - reasons we returned to the UK was our concern over i) the quality of the education in Oz - which (please add 'in our experience') was poor in both private and state systems and ii) we didn't want our children to grow-up as typical, narrow-minded insular Aussies.

And since arriving back in UK, we haven't experienced anything to suggest that we have made the wrong decision.

In the UK, our children have access to a far broader range of experiences; have easy access to other cultures and - shock, horror - get to experience different weather conditions. Yes it rains in the UK (although annual rainfall is higher in Sydney than London) and we cope. On the bright side, due to global warming, UK will be one of the best places to be in the next 30-40 years, with Oz one of the worst, due to the expected hike in temperatures.

Crime levels in UK and Oz are similar; with murder rates higher in Oz. But even that needs to be put in perspective. You are 4 times more likely to be killed in a road accident than murdered. And you are nearly twice as likely to be killed on Oz roads. But it doesn't stop people driving, does it?

As for people who go on about dog crap, if it's that big a deal, move to an Islamic country. Then you'll have a whole new set of things to complain about.
Hi Mike
Pleased to see that you are still posting....I thought you where returning to OZ due to work commitiments. cheers I.G.
Old Sep 14th 2008, 12:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

Tr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by northernbird
That is almost as boring to hear now as the england is going to the dogs posts
Well when they stop printing theirs, I'll stop saying mine
Old Sep 15th 2008, 8:21 am
'In limboland'

St.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BAY
Why so negative with Perth ? I'm loving Perth and wouldn't swap it with where I used to live in England for all the tea in China. I'm not trying to prove anything, I was just shocked and saddened that this murder happened in the very area where I used to live . I know where I feel safer and it isn't England.
Why so negative about the UK? We all know how much you love it here, so why not post how "shocked and saddened" you were to read about this crime where you used to live where it belongs, in The Lounge or TIO? Why the MBTTUK forum?
Old Sep 15th 2008, 9:48 am
BE Enthusiast

Merseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeMerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeMerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeMerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeMerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeMerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeMerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeMerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeMerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeMerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeMerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tr1boy
And here's me thinking I was just comatose!!