Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

Broadchurch and Other UK TV Programs

Broadchurch and Other UK TV Programs

Old Jan 8th 2015, 12:44 am
Muskoka, Ontario

Tirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Broadchurch and Other UK TV Programs

Why have they written the mother so badly in Last Tango. I dislike her supremely.
Old Jan 8th 2015, 1:01 am
BE Forum Addict

bandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond repute

As someone who likes dark gritty crime drama I am glad to see Silent Witness back. Apparently the show was created by a retired police detective.
Old Jan 8th 2015, 8:04 am
BE Enthusiast

Lorac05 has a reputation beyond reputeLorac05 has a reputation beyond reputeLorac05 has a reputation beyond reputeLorac05 has a reputation beyond reputeLorac05 has a reputation beyond reputeLorac05 has a reputation beyond reputeLorac05 has a reputation beyond reputeLorac05 has a reputation beyond reputeLorac05 has a reputation beyond reputeLorac05 has a reputation beyond reputeLorac05 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tirytory
Why have they written the mother so badly in Last Tango. I dislike her supremely.
Sally Wainwright is an amazing writer having written both Last Tango in Halifax and Happy Valley. I think her writing of the Celia character is harsh but I suspect it is leading some where. I have been amazed how many people have said after the last episode that Celia reminds them of their Mother/Mother in Law/Aunt/Grandmother and that how Celia acted (however wrongly it was) is how their respective relative has acted in similar circumstances. The Celia character has a narrow view on right and wrong and holds people to ridiculous standards - she had totally romanticised Alan forgetting he had 60 years of life that she was not part of. I suspect (hope) that Sally is setting Celia up for a huge fall - that there will be a skeleton she has conveniently forgotten and comes back to bite her.

The fact that you dislike the character shows you how well Sally has written her IMO.
Old Jan 8th 2015, 11:13 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lorac05
Sally Wainwright is an amazing writer having written both Last Tango in Halifax and Happy Valley. I think her writing of the Celia character is harsh but I suspect it is leading some where. I have been amazed how many people have said after the last episode that Celia reminds them of their Mother/Mother in Law/Aunt/Grandmother and that how Celia acted (however wrongly it was) is how their respective relative has acted in similar circumstances. The Celia character has a narrow view on right and wrong and holds people to ridiculous standards - she had totally romanticised Alan forgetting he had 60 years of life that she was not part of. I suspect (hope) that Sally is setting Celia up for a huge fall - that there will be a skeleton she has conveniently forgotten and comes back to bite her.

The fact that you dislike the character shows you how well Sally has written her IMO.
Easy to write something where everyone is at eachother's throats.
Old Jan 9th 2015, 12:57 am
Muskoka, Ontario

Tirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lorac05

Of course you are right... But I wanted to shake her badly last episode!
Old Jan 9th 2015, 6:45 am
BE Enthusiast

Lorac05 has a reputation beyond reputeLorac05 has a reputation beyond reputeLorac05 has a reputation beyond reputeLorac05 has a reputation beyond reputeLorac05 has a reputation beyond reputeLorac05 has a reputation beyond reputeLorac05 has a reputation beyond reputeLorac05 has a reputation beyond reputeLorac05 has a reputation beyond reputeLorac05 has a reputation beyond reputeLorac05 has a reputation beyond repute

Of course you are right... But I wanted to shake her badly last episode!
Trust me so did I as her behaviour was unforgivable - especially after her daughter - Caroline - calmly explained how upset she would be - citing the example of her graduation where Celia had also refused to attend for a reason that was not Caroline's fault. She is very selfish - but unfortunately is a product of her own upbringing and does not see that she should change. Allowing her grandson to also not attend his Mothers wedding was also a nasty thing for her to do.

The acting is absolutely superb from all the main actors which allows us to really let them get under our skin like this. I am really looking forwards to the next episode to see how things transpire :-)
Old Jan 9th 2015, 11:20 am
BE Forum Addict

Perth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond repute

I watched Broadchurch on my own and so very glad I did too! No one said that it was taking up from where it left off, revealing the one arrested for the crime. I thought it was a completely different crime story.

Last Tango - contrary to some, I think Celia is the best character portrayal. She has always been self absorbed, so I don't think we are learning anything new. The situations do seem a bit contrived - much like a soap when they are running out of stories to tell, but still enjoying it.
Old Jan 9th 2015, 12:23 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by perthhomeschool
I watched Broadchurch on my own and so very glad I did too! No one said that it was taking up from where it left off, revealing the one arrested for the crime. I thought it was a completely different crime story.

Last Tango - contrary to some, I think Celia is the best character portrayal. She has always been self absorbed, so I don't think we are learning anything new. The situations do seem a bit contrived - much like a soap when they are running out of stories to tell, but still enjoying it.
I quite like Celia...always think of her as Valerie Barlow from Corrie. I find the characters of Sarah Lancaster and Nicola Walker increasingly irritating. That's unexpected as I've enjoyed both actresses in other TV dramas...ie Happy Valley and Spooks/MI5.

Looking forward to seeing the new 3 part drama staring Harry Winston and Amanda Redman.
Old Jan 9th 2015, 1:41 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by perthhomeschool
One of the things that came across in Broadchurch was how they didn't get crime like that, so when a second series was announced, I thought "what, more killing to investigate?"

I'm not sure how or where - maybe it was because I was also paying attention to the US remake (which was also very good) - but I did read that it was supposed to follow on.

I expect to catch up tonight. "My time" tonight
Old Jan 9th 2015, 3:23 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK
One of the things that came across in Broadchurch was how they didn't get crime like that, so when a second series was announced, I thought "what, more killing to investigate?"

I'm not sure how or where - maybe it was because I was also paying attention to the US remake (which was also very good) - but I did read that it was supposed to follow on.

Maybe Broadchurch will turn out to be another Midsommer.
Old Jan 9th 2015, 5:04 pm
Muskoka, Ontario

I really liked the way they wove the other ahem into it... Plus the impact of his not guilty was devastating and I really felt it from the family. Although I am hyper emotionally pregnant at the moment
Old Jan 10th 2015, 12:51 am
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Spoiler:
...the impact of his not guilty was devastating...
My mate had already let that slip so it didn't spoil it for me.

Funny thing...having watched Gracepoint as well, but fairly recently, I found myself not immediately recognising some of the characters.
Old Jan 10th 2015, 1:06 am
Muskoka, Ontario

My mate had already let that slip so it didn't spoil it for me.

Funny thing...having watched Gracepoint as well, but fairly recently, I found myself not immediately recognising some of the characters.
Omg i'm so sorry!!! I didn't even realised I had done that. Can the mods remove it??
Old Jan 10th 2015, 4:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

trottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond repute

Last Tango in Halifax.....I like Celia although she does seem harsh at times, but I find Caroline and her partner very annoying they expect everyone to fall in line with their way of thinking and not make allowances for others perhaps it's the "Holier than thou" smug attitude I don't like . The son never felt comfortable with the situation I think he was relieved that his Grandmother didn't want to go to the wedding. I do think it has become more like a soap although the actors are excellent. I am wondering were the writers are going with this.

Got to catchup on Broadchurch and Foyles War today
Old Jan 11th 2015, 12:06 am
BE Forum Addict

fulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond repute

I am currently watching Foyle's War, Silent Witness - love them Watched Wallender with Rolf Lassgard. He is super actor but the stories are from mid 1990 but the filming, photography - can't put finger on it but something is off. Meaning not enjoying it as much as would like to really like Lassgard as an actor.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.