Is anyone returning from Canada?

Old Jan 19th 2007, 3:48 pm
long live thefinest range

Location: Higham Ferrers, Northants to Spokane Washington and back again!!
Hayley has a reputation beyond reputeHayley has a reputation beyond reputeHayley has a reputation beyond reputeHayley has a reputation beyond reputeHayley has a reputation beyond reputeHayley has a reputation beyond reputeHayley has a reputation beyond reputeHayley has a reputation beyond reputeHayley has a reputation beyond reputeHayley has a reputation beyond reputeHayley has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Is anyone returning from Canada?

Originally Posted by macadian
22 years in the Royal Navy travelling the world and having Lived in South Africa for a time. He's now approaching 60 years young.
People can reach grand old ages without ever knowing what they're talking about. Age is not always impressive.
Was just amazed by his descriptive and well thought out arguments- it's certainly made me think twice about moving back to the UK
Old Jan 19th 2007, 5:22 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

macmike41 has a reputation beyond reputemacmike41 has a reputation beyond reputemacmike41 has a reputation beyond reputemacmike41 has a reputation beyond reputemacmike41 has a reputation beyond reputemacmike41 has a reputation beyond reputemacmike41 has a reputation beyond reputemacmike41 has a reputation beyond reputemacmike41 has a reputation beyond reputemacmike41 has a reputation beyond reputemacmike41 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fishfinger
We find food expensive (apart from eating out). In the UK at Christmas we popped into the shops for a few items couldn't believe how cheap our bill was at around 30 pounds, the same items in Canada when we got back translated into $200.
Hi fishfinger - still waiting for the answwer to Iank's question as I too would be interested in what the items were that produced such a cost comparison ie £30 vis $200 - can't imagine what they were.
Old Jan 19th 2007, 5:57 pm
BE Enthusiast

fishfinger is a splendid one to beholdfishfinger is a splendid one to beholdfishfinger is a splendid one to beholdfishfinger is a splendid one to beholdfishfinger is a splendid one to beholdfishfinger is a splendid one to beholdfishfinger is a splendid one to beholdfishfinger is a splendid one to beholdfishfinger is a splendid one to beholdfishfinger is a splendid one to beholdfishfinger is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by macmike41
Hi fishfinger - still waiting for the answwer to Iank's question as I too would be interested in what the items were that produced such a cost comparison ie £30 vis $200 - can't imagine what they were.
Just a basic shop of yogurts, bread, meat, cereals nothing flashy, I certainly didn't pay £8.99 for 12 yogurts in England like I just had to pay $8.99 for 12 in Canada. I just paid $5.99 for a small block of cheese too and I wouldn't pay that in the UK. There is no doubt that where I live in BC the majority of food is more expensive. As a percentage of our income, the food that we buy in Canada is a larger figure.

Not sure why you are so interested in knowing my shopping bill?! The original poster was asking for reasons why I was returning to the UK and I listed cost of living as one of my reasons and I stand by that 100%. Quality sucks too, have you tasted the rubber ham they serve here - yuk!

In England I never had to worry about the cost of a food bill but here I have to keep it under $400 otherwise DH goes nuts.

Enjoy your lunch!
Old Jan 19th 2007, 11:46 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

macmike41 has a reputation beyond reputemacmike41 has a reputation beyond reputemacmike41 has a reputation beyond reputemacmike41 has a reputation beyond reputemacmike41 has a reputation beyond reputemacmike41 has a reputation beyond reputemacmike41 has a reputation beyond reputemacmike41 has a reputation beyond reputemacmike41 has a reputation beyond reputemacmike41 has a reputation beyond reputemacmike41 has a reputation beyond repute

Just a basic shop of yogurts, bread, meat, cereals nothing flashy, I certainly didn't pay £8.99 for 12 yogurts in England like I just had to pay $8.99 for 12 in Canada. I just paid $5.99 for a small block of cheese too and I wouldn't pay that in the UK. There is no doubt that where I live in BC the majority of food is more expensive. As a percentage of our income, the food that we buy in Canada is a larger figure.

Not sure why you are so interested in knowing my shopping bill?! The original poster was asking for reasons why I was returning to the UK and I listed cost of living as one of my reasons and I stand by that 100%. Quality sucks too, have you tasted the rubber ham they serve here - yuk!

In England I never had to worry about the cost of a food bill but here I have to keep it under $400 otherwise DH goes nuts.

Enjoy your lunch!
Just wondered what it was you were buying that gave such a price difference as our weekly shopping bill in Toronto for the wife and I is around $120 - in the UK it was around £80 but as the pension is worth double $ to £ we are much better off - gotta admit I do miss a nice slice of gammon though, just not the same here. But I do like a the drive through coffee and doughnut here through, especially on these chilly winter mornings - pretty good.

Good luck in your move back to the UK, hope all goes well.
Old Jan 20th 2007, 1:48 am
BE Forum Addict

macadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hayley
People can reach grand old ages without ever knowing what they're talking about. Age is not always impressive.
Was just amazed by his descriptive and well thought out arguments- it's certainly made me think twice about moving back to the UK
Hey, lighten up peeps!
My friend expressed an opinion, a passing remark in an e.mail to me. You don't agree...that's just peachy.

You all remind me of the Kings/Queens of old that had the messenger executed if the news was either bad or disagreeable...to him/her

May you all find what you are looking for...wherever.
Old Jan 20th 2007, 7:40 am
Cynically amused.

dingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond repute

Enjoy your lunch!

Average monthly food bill for us is around $1800. Two adults and five kids, no booze included BC food shopping costs are the pits.
Old Jan 20th 2007, 11:10 am
Forum Regular

Fairy Tales is a jewel in the roughFairy Tales is a jewel in the roughFairy Tales is a jewel in the roughFairy Tales is a jewel in the roughFairy Tales is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by macadian
Just to illustrate the difference in individual perception re England etc, I made contact with an old Militery buddy (after some 30 years) who has lived in Hampshire near Portsmouth for most of his adult life. On learning of me now living in Canada he mailed me back

"Canada! don't Blame you actually.-Thanks to Blair & Brown this country is Ratshit! You're well out of it"

Just another opinion I know but makes me even happier with my lot here in Canada

Best to all
I agree with the Blair & Brown bit. Brits - always ready to fall for the "Third way" hogwash and then pay for their error for decades; Waiting for another Mrs T. to claim them back from the mouth of the red monster!
Old Jan 20th 2007, 7:56 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dingbat
Average monthly food bill for us is around $1800. Two adults and five kids, no booze included BC food shopping costs are the pits.
Jeepers !!!! Holy wotsits !!!
Old Feb 25th 2007, 5:01 pm
Just Joined

subdude is an unknown quantity at this point

Quality sucks too, have you tasted the rubber ham they serve here - yuk!
Oh come on you make it sound like there's only one ham available in the entire country. I know you don't like it here but we have amazing food and restaurants - go to Granville Island once before you leave, I think they have 2 different hams available!
Old Feb 25th 2007, 5:57 pm
Forum Regular

Mizz Teapot has a reputation beyond reputeMizz Teapot has a reputation beyond reputeMizz Teapot has a reputation beyond reputeMizz Teapot has a reputation beyond reputeMizz Teapot has a reputation beyond reputeMizz Teapot has a reputation beyond reputeMizz Teapot has a reputation beyond reputeMizz Teapot has a reputation beyond reputeMizz Teapot has a reputation beyond reputeMizz Teapot has a reputation beyond reputeMizz Teapot has a reputation beyond repute

Quality sucks too, have you tasted the rubber ham they serve here - yuk!

Agree, even the ham in South Africa was million time better than the ham here in Onatrio
Old Feb 25th 2007, 6:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

Gezza is a glorious beacon of lightGezza is a glorious beacon of lightGezza is a glorious beacon of lightGezza is a glorious beacon of lightGezza is a glorious beacon of lightGezza is a glorious beacon of lightGezza is a glorious beacon of lightGezza is a glorious beacon of lightGezza is a glorious beacon of lightGezza is a glorious beacon of lightGezza is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Mizz Teapot
Agree, even the ham in South Africa was million time better than the ham here in Onatrio
So,....what do you say to that...Pigs?!
Old Feb 25th 2007, 9:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

fishfinger is a splendid one to beholdfishfinger is a splendid one to beholdfishfinger is a splendid one to beholdfishfinger is a splendid one to beholdfishfinger is a splendid one to beholdfishfinger is a splendid one to beholdfishfinger is a splendid one to beholdfishfinger is a splendid one to beholdfishfinger is a splendid one to beholdfishfinger is a splendid one to beholdfishfinger is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by subdude
Oh come on you make it sound like there's only one ham available in the entire country. I know you don't like it here but we have amazing food and restaurants - go to Granville Island once before you leave, I think they have 2 different hams available!
Just 2 different hams? Thanks but I've been to Granville Island loads of times and I still don't rate the ham!
Old Feb 26th 2007, 1:55 am
Cynically amused.

dingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond repute

Just 2 different hams? Thanks but I've been to Granville Island loads of times and I still don't rate the ham!
There is a butchers by the manky cinema off Lougheed, the cinema past the Coquitlam Centre, next door to Tom Lee music on the right hand side with the big McDonalds, as you head to Port Moody (near Johnson or something?) ....anyway it's in a tiny strip mall and they sell Brit food. He does a reasonably decent ham, still full of water compared to decent ham off the bone, but better than the average. My lot tell me it tastes better than the processed garbage they shred up and pass off as proper ham on the deli's here. Granville Island is a basic market - nothing more and what they sell there is packaged up and sold everywhere else. The tourist shops sell the same rubbish you can get anywhere else. Art galleries excepted, there is nothing of interest there once you have been a few times. The amount of people who think Granville Island is something special really confuses me....
Old Feb 26th 2007, 3:01 am
sticky beaking

R2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by ann m
Jeepers !!!! Holy wotsits !!!
Ditto that Ann..............good grief. We are a family of 4 and spend around $800 -$900 per month on groceries, and we think we eat well.
We could probably cut back on that too, but we likes our scram !!!!!
Old Feb 26th 2007, 4:28 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by dingbat
There is a butchers by the manky cinema off Lougheed, the cinema past the Coquitlam Centre, next door to Tom Lee music on the right hand side with the big McDonalds, as you head to Port Moody (near Johnson or something?) ....anyway it's in a tiny strip mall and they sell Brit food. He does a reasonably decent ham, still full of water compared to decent ham off the bone, but better than the average. My lot tell me it tastes better than the processed garbage they shred up and pass off as proper ham on the deli's here. Granville Island is a basic market - nothing more and what they sell there is packaged up and sold everywhere else. The tourist shops sell the same rubbish you can get anywhere else. Art galleries excepted, there is nothing of interest there once you have been a few times. The amount of people who think Granville Island is something special really confuses me....
Thanks, you mean Millingtons, I buy my gravy from there, nice chaps. Still can't beat my mums ham!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.