Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

Any regrets coming back to Blighty?

View Poll Results: Happy with your choice of coming back to Blighty?
Yes, wild horses would not shift me, a happy chappy
25.29%
Yes, but would not discount moving overseas again!
20.69%
OK, but I am looking to move on OR about to move on
14.94%
No, the worse thing I ever did, GET ME OUT OF HERE!!!!
39.08%
Voters: 87. You may not vote on this poll

Any regrets coming back to Blighty?

Old Mar 14th 2005, 3:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

eurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud of
Default Re: Any regrets coming back to Blighty?

Originally Posted by callé
right. And also a lot that return slowly dwindle off to live their happy lives. seems much more logical that alot (not all) that contunue to post do so because they dont as yet feel settled so want to see how everyone else feels to comfort themselves that maybe they're not alone.
Calle...

are your sure you want to give everything up to come and life in a small terraced 3 bed I just wished we had your confidence that we doing the right thing in wanting to move to the UK
Old Mar 14th 2005, 5:24 pm
Merlot

The poll bit is what I would call "A bit of fun", the rest is for healthy debate for those with their stories to tell.

Even then, what a person says is good for them is not good for another.

Don't get too hung up on the %%%%% Life is too short to worry hey!

Merlot

Old Mar 14th 2005, 6:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

HiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Merlot
The poll bit is what I would call "A bit of fun", the rest is for healthy debate for those with their stories to tell.

Even then, what a person says is good for them is not good for another.

Don't get too hung up on the %%%%% Life is too short to worry hey!

Merlot
I think I may have to log in as each of my 40 aliases and balance up the stats a bit . Or I could ask Kong
Old Mar 14th 2005, 6:32 pm
Home at last

callé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by eurotramp
Calle...

are your sure you want to give everything up to come and life in a small terraced 3 bed I just wished we had your confidence that we doing the right thing in wanting to move to the UK

Yes as I have had this life for quite a while now and something has always been missing that I cannot get from this 'stuff'. I have thought about this long and hard and getting older and having a good look at 'the big picture' of my life I want to return to the culture and land where I was born, and I want to spend time with family that has been only on long distance relationship. I want to let my children experience England and have Europe at their backdoor. Afew years after arriving here my parents split up. My dad leaving us for someone else, left us with nothing. And I mean nothing. My mum didnt even have a job. After losing our home and finding a tiny house to rent we lived for months with no electric and ate beans on toast cooked on a little grill and just had each other. We were happy to have each other and eventually Mum found work and we got by. barely. of course after many years and then growing up and marrying and landing a good job myself I do fine now. Big house and all the trimmings. But these things cant make you happy inside. I have no fear of a small house and less 'things'. Its the 'living' that counts. the way you want to live and the people that are around you.

Sorry. I did ramble a bit. But you did ask!
Old Mar 14th 2005, 6:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

eurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by callé
Yes as I have had this life for quite a while now and something has always been missing that I cannot get from this 'stuff'. I have thought about this long and hard and getting older and having a good look at 'the big picture' of my life I want to return to the culture and land where I was born, and I want to spend time with family that has been only on long distance relationship. I want to let my children experience England and have Europe at their backdoor. Afew years after arriving here my parents split up. My dad leaving us for someone else, left us with nothing. And I mean nothing. My mum didnt even have a job. After losing our home and finding a tiny house to rent we lived for months with no electric and ate beans on toast cooked on a little grill and just had each other. We were happy to have each other and eventually Mum found work and we got by. barely. of course after many years and then growing up and marrying and landing a good job myself I do fine now. Big house and all the trimmings. But these things cant make you happy inside. I have no fear of a small house and less 'things'. Its the 'living' that counts. the way you want to live and the people that are around you.

Sorry. I did ramble a bit. But you did ask!
Thats me talking...my husband goes on about what kind of house we can have here and the money he makes here...but there is no life here.......
Old Mar 14th 2005, 9:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

psb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond repute

Thats me talking...my husband goes on about what kind of house we can have here and the money he makes here...but there is no life here.......

ask whacko jacko what $$$$$ means
Old Mar 14th 2005, 9:33 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by psb182
ask whacko jacko what $$$$$ means
Don't understand you comment
Old Mar 15th 2005, 12:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

psb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond repute

Don't understand you comment
what I mean is that money means "NOTHING"......the following statement is true weather you belive it or not........."all" humans want 1 thing and 1 thing only out of life and that 1 thing is "happyness"......some think money or a big house or success will bring them happyness so thats what many strive for.......I belive the relationships you have with fellow human beings is the only way to true happyness
Old Mar 15th 2005, 5:42 pm
Merlot

Originally Posted by psb182
what I mean is that money means "NOTHING"......the following statement is true weather you belive it or not........."all" humans want 1 thing and 1 thing only out of life and that 1 thing is "happyness"......some think money or a big house or success will bring them happyness so thats what many strive for.......I belive the relationships you have with fellow human beings is the only way to true happyness
Second that one!!!!

M

Old Mar 15th 2005, 8:38 pm
wombat42

Originally Posted by HiddenPaw
I think I may have to log in as each of my 40 aliases and balance up the stats a bit . Or I could ask Kong
Kong, the man of many identities, he goes under the name " Eatstatic" now
but has'nt posted for a while. He also has used the name Tony Blair, do you know any other of the alias's he has used?

Old Mar 16th 2005, 11:00 am
Forum Regular

ahappychappy is a name known to allahappychappy is a name known to allahappychappy is a name known to allahappychappy is a name known to allahappychappy is a name known to allahappychappy is a name known to allahappychappy is a name known to allahappychappy is a name known to allahappychappy is a name known to allahappychappy is a name known to allahappychappy is a name known to all

Totally agree,

These poll results are meaningless..............

Originally Posted by dunroving
I wouldn't put so much store in the survey. Too many people "visit" this part of the site with an axe to grind. many of them aren't even British expats. All you have to do is read some of the comments in various threads and it doesn't seem too much of a stretch that the same people would be voting No.
Old Mar 17th 2005, 8:50 pm
Merlot

Originally Posted by ahappychappy
Totally agree,

These poll results are meaningless..............
As I said before, polls should be taken with a good pinch of salt, comments are much more interesting.

M

Old Mar 21st 2005, 1:57 am
Forum Regular

Location: Ascot Berks(06.04) to Cronulla nr Sydney back to Ascot (04.05)
Rosie n family is just really niceRosie n family is just really niceRosie n family is just really niceRosie n family is just really niceRosie n family is just really niceRosie n family is just really niceRosie n family is just really niceRosie n family is just really niceRosie n family is just really niceRosie n family is just really niceRosie n family is just really nice

We're leaving in 3 weeks and regret not coming out to Oz when the children were younger - to get citizenship and return to the UK earlier!
It is fantastic here for so many reasons, but I decided I couldnt stay here long-term (missing friends, family) and didnt want the kids to start secondary schools when I know that its not for me forever.
We could have easily stayed longer, we've met some great people and both are in OK jobs....but we have tried to be really practical about what we want long-term. I couldnt live here forever and didnt want my kids growing-up as Australians when we eventually return.
But knowing them, they'll probably want to emigrate out here when they're 18 and we'll end up following them back
Boomerang Poms? Probably
Hard Decision -you do what you think's best at the time.....
Old Mar 21st 2005, 10:05 am
Badge

So true...

I agree..but the irony is, and I should know this growing up in a flat for 30 years, that whilst a house need not be big, it should be big enough..its a fact. The fact we have a 1 acre and the lifestyle that it brings gives a strange kind of UNmaterialistic view on life....its as if big is not bigger, but enough. ie. Its not a McMansion, but I like working in it, knowing that I am keeping fit, even feeling closer to the land if that sounds a bit pretentions(!)
I would rather have a small house on 1 acre, than a McMansion on 700m if that makes sense?

badge

Old Mar 21st 2005, 12:27 pm

Herman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by dugongs
i think age has a part to play here. i was 32 when i went to oz and i always thought had i been a younger person i may have been able to stay as i would have had nothing to compare against. the fact i had worked in the uk for 10 years prior to leaving (and all mostly positive) made it difficult to accept some of the isolated thinking and out of date practice that was deemed current in oz.

as i understand you were 21 when you went to oz so from a work perspective oz is all you know. that means although uk may currently still be thought home it is really oz experience that is more relevant as you spent those important formative early 20's there. oz is a great place if you know no different and starting again from scratch late 20's is no piece of cake. oz though is cut off and uk experience is useful to have and even if you go back tomorrow you cannot lose really.

I have been away from oz for nearly 2 years now and also have feelings to return. my wife is aussie and she at least always intended to go back. after nearly 2 years i am again more open to the thought although as i said to my wife not for a few years yet and certainly not to work. i want the best of both worlds and oz is not there yet but i think it will be later in my life. i do think though that the uk is the place to better yourself financially if you are in certain industries such as finance and accountancy as the rewards and lifestyle in oz do not compare. if you are a nurse then oz probably rules.

as to brits being miserable then i have to disagree. uk imho again is the funniest place on earth. i have travelled widely and uk may not be the friendliest place say like some of the asian countries but for the humour of the individual uk is off the scale. i find oz very uniform with little individuality and meet one average aussie and they are mostly all the same. but day in day out i meet brits which are unique and not afraid to be individuals. every day i laugh out loud just from something people have said and nothing compares. oz is void of a lot of humour and though the people may not winge it does'nt make the place any less souless.
How strange. I was 32 when I went to Oz, same thoughts exactly about just about everything. Worked as an accountant, agree with your comments about that industry - a world of difference from London. Now live in Surrey have been back for nearly 2 years too and agree with your comments on Brits! Unlike your goodself though, I don't think we'll ever go back to Australia as we love it in the UK too much. We may end up living somewhere else in Europe one day years from now (my wife is Czech but lived in Zurich for many years), but definitely not Australia.
PS. first time I have looked at this website for a long time, nothing changes!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.