Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

Any regrets coming back to Blighty?

View Poll Results: Happy with your choice of coming back to Blighty?
Yes, wild horses would not shift me, a happy chappy
25.29%
Yes, but would not discount moving overseas again!
20.69%
OK, but I am looking to move on OR about to move on
14.94%
No, the worse thing I ever did, GET ME OUT OF HERE!!!!
39.08%
Voters: 87. You may not vote on this poll

Any regrets coming back to Blighty?

Old Feb 7th 2005, 5:28 pm

DIMO8 has a reputation beyond reputeDIMO8 has a reputation beyond reputeDIMO8 has a reputation beyond reputeDIMO8 has a reputation beyond reputeDIMO8 has a reputation beyond reputeDIMO8 has a reputation beyond reputeDIMO8 has a reputation beyond reputeDIMO8 has a reputation beyond reputeDIMO8 has a reputation beyond reputeDIMO8 has a reputation beyond reputeDIMO8 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Any regrets coming back to Blighty?

Originally Posted by Merlot
Hi Donna

No little Merlot's running around which makes moving around a lot easier. I imagine that having children changes your whole outlook and priorties.

I am going though a huge emotional crisis at the moment which is not helping me settle at anything but will get there in the end.

M
I hope it all works out for you soon, and you get settled.
Good post and Karma on its way
Donna
Old Feb 7th 2005, 5:38 pm
Merlot

Originally Posted by DIMO8
I hope it all works out for you soon, and you get settled.
Good post and Karma on its way
Donna
Thanks Donna, Karma back.

M

Old Feb 7th 2005, 7:10 pm
ags
Forum Regular

ags is on a distinguished road

Been back in the Uk for 10 yrs now, still not settled so we are on the move again. Back to Africa for me!
Old Feb 7th 2005, 7:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

psb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SANDRAPAUL
So 65% either want to get out again, regret moving back in some ways or will not discount moving in the future so cannot be all that happy.

Interesting!

53% say they are happy in the UK
Old Feb 7th 2005, 8:23 pm
Merlot

Originally Posted by psb182
53% say they are happy in the UK
Seems to be a lot in the middle part of maybe/maybe not, does this mean what many of us say that once you start moving around the world, it gets harder to settle?

M

Old Feb 7th 2005, 8:44 pm
Forum Regular

Jacaranda has a brilliant futureJacaranda has a brilliant futureJacaranda has a brilliant futureJacaranda has a brilliant futureJacaranda has a brilliant futureJacaranda has a brilliant futureJacaranda has a brilliant future

Seems to be a lot in the middle part of maybe/maybe not, does this mean what many of us say that once you start moving around the world, it gets harder to settle?

M
Definitely, Merlot - so very true! Been back in UK 30 odd years, and not settled yet! Not helped by trotting back to SA on long stay, and almost 2 years in Doha, either! Can't stand the weather here!!
Old Feb 7th 2005, 9:24 pm
Professional Princess

M

Merlot, do you live near London?

If so, fancy meeting up for a drink sometime?

Old Feb 8th 2005, 7:52 am
Merlot

Originally Posted by Professional Princess
Merlot, do you live near London?

If so, fancy meeting up for a drink sometime?
Hi Sam

Love too but . . . the grim north unfortunately and not the bouyant Manchester part where I used to reside.

About to dash to work so will send you a PM tonight.

Take care, Merlot

Old Feb 8th 2005, 9:11 am
BE Forum Addict

HiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SANDRAPAUL
So 65% either want to get out again, regret moving back in some ways or will not discount moving in the future so cannot be all that happy.

Interesting!
Not really. The fact that we have all lived overseas is an indicator that we're not ones to live in the same place for the whole of our lives. Hardly surprising many want to carry on travelling/working/living abroad. We wouldn't be on this forum if we didn't fit into that mould, surely?
Old Feb 8th 2005, 9:49 am
Forum Regular

Munchkin is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by HiddenPaw
Not really. The fact that we have all lived overseas is an indicator that we're not ones to live in the same place for the whole of our lives. Hardly surprising many want to carry on travelling/working/living abroad. We wouldn't be on this forum if we didn't fit into that mould, surely?

Very true Hiddenpaw.

I moved a lot with my folks when I was a youngster, and came back to the UK in 1989.

I think moving is in my blood now, and this is the longest I've stayed in one place.

I've never really regreted coming back cus I was at the age when you throw yourself at your work and build some stability for yourself with mortgage etc. So I never really stopped to think whether I was happy being back here or not. I just don't see myself going into retirement and still living in the UK....from what I see around me that can be pretty grim.

I've thought about going back to NZ, but I think that's just cus its the devil I know (and my memories from there are great even though I was a littlie at the time).

For the time being we are going to look at purchasing a small place in France. Get my folks settled into their retirement and mull it all over a little more.

I think the fact that I'm not close to extended family colours my outlook somewhat. And it made it easier for the family to make the moves we did in the 70's and 80's.

I think if I left the UK now I probably wouldn't return. But I would miss the down at the Trip to Jerusalem, and my ghosthunting hobbies.

Old Feb 8th 2005, 12:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

HiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond repute

I have become a "Poll mad lady" but I have been back 10 months after 7 years in Australia and slowly starting to realise that my true home is not here.

I have no regrets about coming back, I enjoy most aspects about the UK, looking forward to doing lots of things with the family in 2005 BUT Australia is slowly calling us back.

Why??? Who knows????

It is not a case of rose tinted glasses for Australia as I have never owned a pair for any country. There were lots of things I didn't like in Australia and lots I did.

I just know in my heart that this is my last time in the UK, I am here for a closure of sorts as I when I left in Feb 1997 I was only going away on a Working Holiday but never made it back to live.

I am sort of saying my goodbyes in a way now, even though it will be 2006/07 at least before we have the funds to go back. If that makes senses. I think half of me knew this even before we left Australia.

Wondering how everyone else feels?

Merlot
Hi Merlot
No regrets about moving back whatsoever. I wouldn't change a thing of the last 12 months. It's been fabulous to have the baby with the family aroud us, 4 doting grandparents, and feeling really content. I have made so many new friends since being back - the majority being new mums, like me. Life is grand!! Husband works half an hour from home so gets to spend lots of time with littl'un too.

As you know tho, we are going back to Oz at the end of the year. If we had secured citizenship last time we were there then we wouldn't be considering going back at all in the next 5 years. However, we didn't, so we are going before our visas expire. We are not at all discontent with the UK - going back to Australia is not a 'get out of UK' exercise. There's just a lot of things that pull us back there.

As for you, I'm sure after 7 years in Aus, 'slotting in' to UK life was never going to be plain sailing. You've changed, people have changed, places have changed. I'm pleased to hear you are finding answers and closure to the thoughts and doubts that have been in your mind for so long. As it seems to often be the case in life, you never get the answers until you make the changes. My philosophy is never to have any regrets about the choices I make as even 'wrong' decisions can provide the 'right' answers.

Good luck for the remainder of time in the UK. Chat to you soon
HP
x
Old Feb 8th 2005, 7:26 pm
Merlot

Originally Posted by HiddenPaw
Hi Merlot
No regrets about moving back whatsoever. I wouldn't change a thing of the last 12 months. It's been fabulous to have the baby with the family aroud us, 4 doting grandparents, and feeling really content. I have made so many new friends since being back - the majority being new mums, like me. Life is grand!! Husband works half an hour from home so gets to spend lots of time with littl'un too.

As you know tho, we are going back to Oz at the end of the year. If we had secured citizenship last time we were there then we wouldn't be considering going back at all in the next 5 years. However, we didn't, so we are going before our visas expire. We are not at all discontent with the UK - going back to Australia is not a 'get out of UK' exercise. There's just a lot of things that pull us back there.

As for you, I'm sure after 7 years in Aus, 'slotting in' to UK life was never going to be plain sailing. You've changed, people have changed, places have changed. I'm pleased to hear you are finding answers and closure to the thoughts and doubts that have been in your mind for so long. As it seems to often be the case in life, you never get the answers until you make the changes. My philosophy is never to have any regrets about the choices I make as even 'wrong' decisions can provide the 'right' answers.

Good luck for the remainder of time in the UK. Chat to you soon
HP
x
I keep meaning to PM you but never seem to get my head together, thanks for your kind words.

I think everyone who comes back to the UK have their own stories and reasons, the main thing in life is being happy in the skin you are in, this includes your surroundings.

My week has got better, getting focus back - yippeee!!!!

Are you going back to Victoria to live? Have you got anything confirmed over there yet such as work, house, etc?

Best of luck and promise to write soon.

M

Old Feb 8th 2005, 7:44 pm
58.38264% - Extreme Geek

anya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to all

Hi Merlot

As I said in another thread, it's interesting that Brits who go to Oz then leave always seem to go back to the UK, not on somewhere else. This leads me to believe that the main reason for going back is homesickness & missing family/friends.

Personally my family & friends are all over the place so I don't have the strong 'pull' back to the UK that many have (tho I miss some aspects of it). But I have days when I really miss my lovely house in New England, my wacky apartment in San Francisco & the house, overlooking a lake, that I lived in as a kid in N. Italy. I am convinced that, for me, this business of missing places is more 'nostalgia' than 'homesickness'. I miss London in the 1960s, Boston in the 1970s etc - it's probably more that stage in my personal history that I miss, rather than the actual place itself. And sadly, without a time machine, there's no going back to that....

I can't see myself going back to Blighty at the moment, but I wouldn't rule out moving on somewhere else one day. I guess I just need to get that caravan and horses, wear large gold hoop ear-rings & hone my fortune-telling skills!

Totally understand your confusion - not at all easy to deal with, is it?

Cheers,
Anya.
Old Feb 8th 2005, 7:59 pm
Merlot

Originally Posted by anya4oz
Hi Merlot

As I said in another thread, it's interesting that Brits who go to Oz then leave always seem to go back to the UK, not on somewhere else. This leads me to believe that the main reason for going back is homesickness & missing family/friends.

Personally my family & friends are all over the place so I don't have the strong 'pull' back to the UK that many have (tho I miss some aspects of it). But I have days when I really miss my lovely house in New England, my wacky apartment in San Francisco & the house, overlooking a lake, that I lived in as a kid in N. Italy. I am convinced that, for me, this business of missing places is more 'nostalgia' than 'homesickness'. I miss London in the 1960s, Boston in the 1970s etc - it's probably more that stage in my personal history that I miss, rather than the actual place itself. And sadly, without a time machine, there's no going back to that....

I can't see myself going back to Blighty at the moment, but I wouldn't rule out moving on somewhere else one day. I guess I just need to get that caravan and horses, wear large gold hoop ear-rings & hone my fortune-telling skills!

Totally understand your confusion - not at all easy to deal with, is it?

Cheers,
Anya.
I really could not put it better myself!

Thanks for your understanding too; it is all too easy to jump onto people for following a dream, their hearts or a magic rainbow. Nostalgia is a great term to bring up, as this can be part of the process, a very real part. Is this the rose tinted bit we all talk about?

I have a gypsy soul yet live in this modern world. My other half is a person who is not a great traveller; I am proud he took a chance and came back to the UK with me, as he has not lived here for 18 years and was very happy in Australia. Because of this I have curbed my wanderlust, I am fine with this decision as I have him in my life. You can't have everything at once, there is always something you have to give away first.

Once I have worked through the family bit over here, I think my life will begin yet again back in Australia. I have no regrets with anything I have done in my life, why worry about the past as it cannot change, it is the now that is important.

I feel very privileged to be able to live in both countries without restriction and have the ability to move around, I never forget that fact.

M

Old Feb 8th 2005, 8:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

I keep meaning to PM you but never seem to get my head together, thanks for your kind words.

I think everyone who comes back to the UK have their own stories and reasons, the main thing in life is being happy in the skin you are in, this includes your surroundings.

My week has got better, getting focus back - yippeee!!!!

Are you going back to Victoria to live? Have you got anything confirmed over there yet such as work, house, etc?

Best of luck and promise to write soon.

M
Yeah, I'm crap at correspondence too...I WILL write soon! Like you, my head is tangled up with the emotional/family, financial and logistical side of things. It doesn't make decision making easy does it!

Going back to Vic but PMSL at your suggestion that we've got things organised!!! Hubby in touch with prev employer so things on the move there....er that's it! The rest is a bit of a headache....we're undecided on the exact strategy and longevity of the plan . Ugh! Why did they ever invent the aeroplane

So glad you are slowly unravelling your existence!! It all takes time, but you'll get there. I don't know about you, but altho I'm calm about the move as I know where I'm going and what it's like to live there, it's very daunting...more so than last time. Perhaps cos this time it's possibly final??

Take care
HPx

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.