Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

Any regrets coming back to Blighty?

View Poll Results: Happy with your choice of coming back to Blighty?
Yes, wild horses would not shift me, a happy chappy
25.29%
Yes, but would not discount moving overseas again!
20.69%
OK, but I am looking to move on OR about to move on
14.94%
No, the worse thing I ever did, GET ME OUT OF HERE!!!!
39.08%
Voters: 87. You may not vote on this poll

Any regrets coming back to Blighty?

Old Feb 18th 2005, 8:39 am
home again, home again

janeyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud of
Default Re: Any regrets coming back to Blighty?

Originally Posted by Eric the Viking
janeyray

Eric
Karma coming your way

Old Feb 18th 2005, 9:13 am
Home in 2010.

The Koalas is just really niceThe Koalas is just really niceThe Koalas is just really niceThe Koalas is just really niceThe Koalas is just really niceThe Koalas is just really niceThe Koalas is just really niceThe Koalas is just really niceThe Koalas is just really niceThe Koalas is just really niceThe Koalas is just really nice

Originally Posted by janeyray
Karma coming your way

Right back at you sister
Old Feb 20th 2005, 7:17 pm
Merlot

It has been interesting catching up with the posts over the last couple of days, shows there are so many variables and that every place has it pluses and minuses.

The whole thing is a bit of a lottery at the end of the day, you win some you lose some. It is how you handle it and where you are happy that counts.

M

Old Mar 1st 2005, 7:08 pm
Forum Regular

friends is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Merlot
Thank you for your responses, I think it is really important to me (and others)to hear other stories, whatever they may be so I don't think I am going completely mad

Kee 'em coming and good luck to all.

Merlot
Hi merlot. We arrived back in the uk may 2004 and i can honestly say that we are pleased to be back. We all miss aspects of our life in aus but are so pleased to be back with family and friends. No regrets. Been a huge learning curve and although emotionally it has been very draining we feel settled at last. Good luck on your decision x
Old Mar 2nd 2005, 6:46 pm
Merlot

Originally Posted by friends
Hi merlot. We arrived back in the uk may 2004 and i can honestly say that we are pleased to be back. We all miss aspects of our life in aus but are so pleased to be back with family and friends. No regrets. Been a huge learning curve and although emotionally it has been very draining we feel settled at last. Good luck on your decision x
Thanks for the post, we have enjoyed the most of being in the UK but definitely going back and money permitting would love to be back over in 2006.

The move back to the UK has changed our perspective on life, strengthed relationships and has helped us really understand where we want to be.

Merlot

Old Mar 13th 2005, 9:46 am
Forum Regular

julii2020 is just really nicejulii2020 is just really nicejulii2020 is just really nicejulii2020 is just really nicejulii2020 is just really nicejulii2020 is just really nicejulii2020 is just really nicejulii2020 is just really nice

I returned to the UK after spending 16 years in New York and although the first several months were really rough, I'm now very glad I did it. My husband, who is American, has always been very positive about the move, he loves (most) things about England. I don't regret the move at all - if I hadn't tried it, I would never have been settled in the US.

I can't see myself growing old in England though. The weather, the attitudes towards seniors and the crowded environment in the UK make it almost certain that we'll be back in the states in 5-10 years.

Julie
Old Mar 13th 2005, 10:11 am
Merlot

Originally Posted by julii2020
I returned to the UK after spending 16 years in New York and although the first several months were really rough, I'm now very glad I did it. My husband, who is American, has always been very positive about the move, he loves (most) things about England. I don't regret the move at all - if I hadn't tried it, I would never have been settled in the US.

I can't see myself growing old in England though. The weather, the attitudes towards seniors and the crowded environment in the UK make it almost certain that we'll be back in the states in 5-10 years.

Julie
Nice to hear your views, I have to say sometimes coming back can make you really appreciate what you left.

Everywhere has its good and not so good, it is how you live it at the time that is the most important.

Good luck
Merlot

Old Mar 13th 2005, 7:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

SANDRAPAUL is just really niceSANDRAPAUL is just really niceSANDRAPAUL is just really niceSANDRAPAUL is just really niceSANDRAPAUL is just really niceSANDRAPAUL is just really niceSANDRAPAUL is just really niceSANDRAPAUL is just really nice

Thought I would have a peak at this again. Still 72% who want to or will leave the UK again.
Old Mar 13th 2005, 7:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

HiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SANDRAPAUL
Thought I would have a peak at this again. Still 72% who want to or will leave the UK again.
And? What does that figure prove to you (you've raised the point twice)? From your earlier post it would seem to give you some satisfaction knowing that people want to leave the UK. Are you insecure about your own decision to go?
Old Mar 13th 2005, 11:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

psb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond repute

from my personal point of view the older I get the more I realize how good it is in the UK.......the younger I was i thoughts it was terrible......probably had a case of the grass is greener on the other side.......been on the other side long enough to understand that there ain't much grass at all......in fact I havn't seen grass since november....everything is fuggin white....get me outa here now
Old Mar 14th 2005, 12:35 am
ImHere

The grass is always greener on the other side....until you get there and realise that its the same old grass that needs cutting just like before, only this time you dont know how to cut it, the mowers broken and no-one seems willing to tell you how to fix it.

Old Mar 14th 2005, 10:40 am
BE Enthusiast

SANDRAPAUL is just really niceSANDRAPAUL is just really niceSANDRAPAUL is just really niceSANDRAPAUL is just really niceSANDRAPAUL is just really niceSANDRAPAUL is just really niceSANDRAPAUL is just really niceSANDRAPAUL is just really nice

Originally Posted by HiddenPaw
And? What does that figure prove to you (you've raised the point twice)? From your earlier post it would seem to give you some satisfaction knowing that people want to leave the UK. Are you insecure about your own decision to go?
None. This area on the forum is for those heading back so you would think there would be more consistancy in the approach.
Old Mar 14th 2005, 1:48 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SANDRAPAUL
None. This area on the forum is for those heading back so you would think there would be more consistancy in the approach.
I wouldn't put so much store in the survey. Too many people "visit" this part of the site with an axe to grind. many of them aren't even British expats. All you have to do is read some of the comments in various threads and it doesn't seem too much of a stretch that the same people would be voting No.
Old Mar 14th 2005, 2:02 pm
Deb+Chris

Originally Posted by dunroving
I wouldn't put so much store in the survey. Too many people "visit" this part of the site with an axe to grind. many of them aren't even British expats. All you have to do is read some of the comments in various threads and it doesn't seem too much of a stretch that the same people would be voting No.
Completely agree.

Old Mar 14th 2005, 3:32 pm
Home at last

callé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dunroving

right. And also a lot that return slowly dwindle off to live their happy lives. seems much more logical that alot (not all) that contunue to post do so because they dont as yet feel settled so want to see how everyone else feels to comfort themselves that maybe they're not alone.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.