Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

Any regrets about moving back to the UK?

Any regrets about moving back to the UK?

Old Aug 14th 2015, 7:49 am
Was in Canada, now home.

Editha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Any regrets about moving back to the UK?

Originally Posted by feelbritish
Your CPP will be paid to another country on their list of countries which is on Canadian government website. I have not heard that you can transfer you CPP to another country in a lump sum, as far as I know you take it monthly from when you qualify. I am sure someone else will know more than me and come onto here to inform you. If not go to the Canada forum and ask that question. As for OAS you will only get this paid out of the country provided you have lived here for 20 years and if you have, you will only get that and not the "top up".
Sounds right to me. My OH's CPP is paid into our UK bank account in £, but he did not work long enough in Canada to qualify for OAS to be paid to him outside Canada.
Old Aug 14th 2015, 9:10 am
Forum Regular

CalgaryPete has a reputation beyond reputeCalgaryPete has a reputation beyond reputeCalgaryPete has a reputation beyond reputeCalgaryPete has a reputation beyond reputeCalgaryPete has a reputation beyond reputeCalgaryPete has a reputation beyond reputeCalgaryPete has a reputation beyond reputeCalgaryPete has a reputation beyond reputeCalgaryPete has a reputation beyond reputeCalgaryPete has a reputation beyond reputeCalgaryPete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bearfacts
Can I ask, any problems storing your Canadian pension? I read you need '20 years' with Pension before your pension can be transferred to another Country. CPP (Canadian Pension Plan) specifically.
Cheers.
Sorry, I don't know anything about pensions.
Old Aug 14th 2015, 9:21 am
BE Enthusiast

Wombat7 has a reputation beyond reputeWombat7 has a reputation beyond reputeWombat7 has a reputation beyond reputeWombat7 has a reputation beyond reputeWombat7 has a reputation beyond reputeWombat7 has a reputation beyond reputeWombat7 has a reputation beyond reputeWombat7 has a reputation beyond reputeWombat7 has a reputation beyond reputeWombat7 has a reputation beyond reputeWombat7 has a reputation beyond repute

I had a quick look on the Government of Canada website and could not see the need to be in Canada for 20 years.

Canada Pension Plan Retirement Pension - Service Canada

Did you see it on that website?
Old Aug 14th 2015, 11:00 am
Was in Canada, now home.

Editha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond repute

It is the OAS, not CPP where the twenty year rule applies. This link:

Old Age Security pension - Service Canada

It doesn't apply to CPP.
Old Aug 14th 2015, 2:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

Wombat7 has a reputation beyond reputeWombat7 has a reputation beyond reputeWombat7 has a reputation beyond reputeWombat7 has a reputation beyond reputeWombat7 has a reputation beyond reputeWombat7 has a reputation beyond reputeWombat7 has a reputation beyond reputeWombat7 has a reputation beyond reputeWombat7 has a reputation beyond reputeWombat7 has a reputation beyond reputeWombat7 has a reputation beyond repute

Many thanks Editha
Old Sep 20th 2015, 3:38 am
Just Joined

bearfacts is a jewel in the roughbearfacts is a jewel in the roughbearfacts is a jewel in the roughbearfacts is a jewel in the roughbearfacts is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by ElizabethK
This coming Sunday (20th July) I will have been back in UK for exactly a year, having lived in Pennsylvania for 17 years.
The first month or two were like a whirlwind, getting used to our new home, finding me a suitable car, being constantly thrilled with shopping in Sainsbury's et al, catching up with old friends and generally just loving the fact that we were home. It was summer and the weather was great.

Then, as autumn set in and the days became shorter the reality hit and if I'm honest I began to wonder if we'd done the right thing by moving back as the novelty of it all was wearing off.

Once the jolly-ness of Christmas passed and the dreary winter months of dark, damp miserable days dragged on I really started to miss the crisp, cold sunny, wintry days of NE USA and did get quite depressed about it.

However, this past May, I had 2 American friends come to visit for a week, and during that time we took them around the area doing all kinds of touristy things and it wasn't until then, when we were really looking at our surroundings and taking the time to see the beauty of where we lived, that it became clear to both my husband and I we had absolutely 100% made the right decision to return to UK.

Since that 'epiphany' I can say, hand on heart that I love it here and would not consider moving back permanently to USA.

I do hope though, that at some point in time we get to go back for a holiday to the US, because we do have a special place in our hearts for the country in which we resided for such a long time.
Hi Elizabeth, sounds like you really enjoy your location. Are you in the Wirral? I've thought of moving to Chester, or nearby. Some parts of the Wirral look nice. Cheaper houses. Liverpool is a fine city.
Old Sep 20th 2015, 8:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

windsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond repute

I have been back two months now and have no regrets. I am a bit frustrated because I am still waiting for a job. I got a bit stressed initially because there seemed to be a lot of bureaucracy to endure to get re-established but most of that is fine now.

The lifestyle is less materialistic here and I like that. I do miss the sun a bit but I can easily get around that one.

The food and supermarkets are wonderful.

After 30+ years in the USA, I honestly wonder where my life went because I can't remember very much of my time there. When I lived in the USA, I missed the UK every single day.

I am now where I belong.
Old Sep 20th 2015, 11:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

michali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond repute

I remember when I came back in 1998, it took months for me to get a job. There were so many hoops to get through, several interviews etc. but you just have to be patient, I'm afraid! It will happen! Glad you are enjoying other aspects though. I have been back a year 15 months now and still wake up joyful, even though I loved my previous location too!
Old Sep 21st 2015, 1:44 am
BE Forum Addict

Celticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond repute

So glad to hear you are settling in Windsong. My little dogs are in Newark about to board flight to Belfast. I leave Wednesday. Very hectic two days ahead. Sold my Infinity FX yesterday back to dealership. Very fair price ( better than Carmax offered). My 20' container left last Wednesday. The hardest part is leaving those I love.
Old Sep 21st 2015, 1:28 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Questions about moving back to the UK after living overseas for many years

1pinball1...I have moved your post into a new thread here...

http://britishexpats.com/forum/movin...-years-865509/
Old Sep 22nd 2015, 5:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

cheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by windsong
I have been back two months now and have no regrets. I am a bit frustrated because I am still waiting for a job. I got a bit stressed initially because there seemed to be a lot of bureaucracy to endure to get re-established but most of that is fine now.

The lifestyle is less materialistic here and I like that. I do miss the sun a bit but I can easily get around that one.

The food and supermarkets are wonderful.

After 30+ years in the USA, I honestly wonder where my life went because I can't remember very much of my time there. When I lived in the USA, I missed the UK every single day.

I am now where I belong.
Good post!
Old Sep 25th 2015, 7:43 pm
Just Joined

JakeSurrey is an unknown quantity at this point

Planning to move back from Calgary to the UK right now to be with family for a few years. Believe me - Calgary ain't great right now - not much work going round!
Old Sep 26th 2015, 5:16 am
BE Enthusiast

Richard8655 has a reputation beyond reputeRichard8655 has a reputation beyond reputeRichard8655 has a reputation beyond reputeRichard8655 has a reputation beyond reputeRichard8655 has a reputation beyond reputeRichard8655 has a reputation beyond reputeRichard8655 has a reputation beyond reputeRichard8655 has a reputation beyond reputeRichard8655 has a reputation beyond reputeRichard8655 has a reputation beyond reputeRichard8655 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by old.sparkles
Nope - visited a few times but never lived there. I also never made a sweeping statement about Americans
I've lived all my life in the U.S. since moving from the UK as a child. I confirm what Chris955 says. Americans are by and large flag-waving patriotic nut cases. I've endured a life of "love it or leave it", "we're the best country in the world", and the sense that American exceptionalism is assumed. Every other house in my neighborhood has the stars and stripes fluttering obnoxiously in the wind.

Yet they know nothing about the rest of the world.

I'm ready for some quiet civilized modesty when I move back. No more rednecks, guns, and flags for me. How's that for a sweeping statement (with respect).

Last edited by Richard8655; Sep 26th 2015 at 5:29 am.
Old Sep 26th 2015, 5:47 am
BE Forum Addict

themajor has a reputation beyond reputethemajor has a reputation beyond reputethemajor has a reputation beyond reputethemajor has a reputation beyond reputethemajor has a reputation beyond reputethemajor has a reputation beyond reputethemajor has a reputation beyond reputethemajor has a reputation beyond reputethemajor has a reputation beyond reputethemajor has a reputation beyond reputethemajor has a reputation beyond repute

We have moved BACK to the UK on four occasions and could just not settle in to the miserly way of life. So been here in Cyprus for the last two years and loving every minute.
Old Sep 26th 2015, 8:33 am
Just Joined

bearfacts is a jewel in the roughbearfacts is a jewel in the roughbearfacts is a jewel in the roughbearfacts is a jewel in the roughbearfacts is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by themajor
We have moved BACK to the UK on four occasions and could just not settle in to the miserly way of life. So been here in Cyprus for the last two years and loving every minute.
If you don't mind me asking, what took you back 4 times to the UK before settling in Cyprus? That must've been a lot of upheaval for you. I'm sure Cyprus is a fine place, looks gorgeous.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.