Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Questions about moving back to the UK after living overseas for many years

Questions about moving back to the UK after living overseas for many years

Old Sep 21st 2015, 2:02 am
Just Joined

1pinball1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Questions about moving back to the UK after living overseas for many years

Hi all. New to this forum and not even sure I'm posting correctly! After 18 years with a Fortune 500 company, at 42, I've decided to stop and smell the roses a bit. My parents are getting older and my sis could also use a bit of help. I've been living in the US for almost 8 years and other countries before that with my job. I've taken the huge leap of taking a career break, which means travel and spending time back in the UK. I already know I'm going to feel like an alien, but I want to know the things I should think about - e.g. Tax, renting, healthcare, shipping of possessions, and stuff I never even thought of like DVLA or credit ratings.... Any advice for me? It's going to be different without a nice expensive relocation counsellor to 'help' me! Where can I find out these things? And what can you tell ,e that won't leave me caught with my pants down? Thanks!
Old Sep 21st 2015, 7:19 am
Was in Canada, now home.

Editha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Any regrets about moving back to the UK?

Originally Posted by 1pinball1
Hi all. New to this forum and not even sure I'm posting correctly! After 18 years with a Fortune 500 company, at 42, I've decided to stop and smell the roses a bit. My parents are getting older and my sis could also use a bit of help. I've been living in the US for almost 8 years and other countries before that with my job. I've taken the huge leap of taking a career break, which means travel and spending time back in the UK. I already know I'm going to feel like an alien, but I want to know the things I should think about - e.g. Tax, renting, healthcare, shipping of possessions, and stuff I never even thought of like DVLA or credit ratings.... Any advice for me? It's going to be different without a nice expensive relocation counsellor to 'help' me! Where can I find out these things? And what can you tell ,e that won't leave me caught with my pants down? Thanks!
I suggest you start off a new thread. That way you will get more replies.
Old Sep 21st 2015, 8:45 am
Just Joined

1pinball1 is an unknown quantity at this point

thanks! Umm, how do I do that?
Old Sep 21st 2015, 8:57 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

thanks! Umm, how do I do that?
Blue button at the top of the page that says 'new thread'.

Or, if in doubt, check the FAQ - British Expats - FAQ: General Forum Usage

HTH.
Old Sep 21st 2015, 1:32 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Questions about moving back to the UK after living overseas for many years

Welcome to BE.

Rather than your posts getting lost in an existing thread...I have moved them into a new thread.
Old Sep 21st 2015, 8:03 pm
Dichotomus tinker

not2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Questions about moving back to the UK after living overseas for many years

https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/be...esidence-test/

How do I register with a GP? - Health questions - NHS Choices

https://www.gov.uk/electoral-register/overview

https://www.gov.uk/exchange-foreign-driving-licence

https://www.gov.uk/apply-online-to-r...riving-licence

https://www.gov.uk/lost-national-insurance-number

https://www.gov.uk/tax-return-uk

https://www.gov.uk/tax-foreign-income

https://www.gov.uk/self-assessment-tax-returns

https://www.gov.uk/government/public...side-the-ec-c3

Last edited by not2old; Sep 21st 2015 at 8:11 pm.
Old Sep 21st 2015, 10:45 pm
Dichotomus tinker

not2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond repute

some of this covered previously in another thread

http://britishexpats.com/forum/movin...icense-860301/
Old Sep 23rd 2015, 5:50 pm
Was in Canada, now home.

Editha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond repute

If you are taking 'a career break', presumably you are not intending to work in the UK. Is that right? Because that simplifies everything a lot. Really, all you need to do is find somewhere to live. Whether or not you pay tax on any unearned income will depend on how long you stay.
Old Sep 24th 2015, 7:39 am
BE Forum Addict

brits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond repute

If your just going to spend some time in the UK then why don't you put your items in storage in the US, if your going to work and you have done so in the UK then you will just have to hand your details to your employer and tax will start when you start earning as for renting it depends on whether you are going to be in the UK for short periods (while you travel) or for long periods at a time as that will depend on the type of rental agreement you require, ie short periods you could look at holiday rentals longer term rental then 6 month to 12 month contracts are available. If you want to feel like Alien then you will do so, things might be a bit different but only for a short period of time. Good luck