Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

Any regrets about moving back to the UK?

Any regrets about moving back to the UK?

Old Aug 30th 2014, 10:36 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Any regrets about moving back to the UK?

Originally Posted by Sarah
Hello! You're going to have to change your name to TorontoGirl!
How's life in Canada? Do you miss NJ?
I've just come back from 2 months in England.
If I could I'd get back on a plane tomorrow. Homesickness suckssssss
You managed it after all...so pleased for you...what a nice break from the NYC summer.

Summer is great here...the rest of the year not so much. Hopefully we will be heading to the sun for most of the winter. I miss the area of NJ where we lived...after all we were there for 18 years.

Like you we are still homesick...if only our daughter and SIL would move to the UK. Can't see it happening.
Old Aug 31st 2014, 1:40 am
BE Enthusiast

Bnet36 has a reputation beyond reputeBnet36 has a reputation beyond reputeBnet36 has a reputation beyond reputeBnet36 has a reputation beyond reputeBnet36 has a reputation beyond reputeBnet36 has a reputation beyond reputeBnet36 has a reputation beyond reputeBnet36 has a reputation beyond reputeBnet36 has a reputation beyond reputeBnet36 has a reputation beyond reputeBnet36 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by LostBrit99
Funny you mention the cold weather having its benefits, thats what we look forward to the most in the Uk, is the cold weather and being able to walk outside without suffocating
Here here! We are out and about more in the winter than the summer here. Friends and family back home have been posting pictures of picnics in the park, eating their Marks and Spencer sandwiches .. so jealous. It's the simple things.

I wonder how long it will take me before I complain about the weather when I get back. Never I hope.
Old Aug 31st 2014, 11:10 am
lf1
BE Forum Addict

lf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bnet36
Here here! We are out and about more in the winter than the summer here. Friends and family back home have been posting pictures of picnics in the park, eating their Marks and Spencer sandwiches .. so jealous. It's the simple things.

I wonder how long it will take me before I complain about the weather when I get back. Never I hope.
Been back two years and I still love the weather. I listen to people around me moaning about the weather and I just smile politely. Just spent a month in Canada, mainly indoors, due to the hot weather which is not my thing.
Old Sep 1st 2014, 4:09 am
Senior Moment

Sarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
You managed it after all...so pleased for you...what a nice break from the NYC summer.

Summer is great here...the rest of the year not so much. Hopefully we will be heading to the sun for most of the winter. I miss the area of NJ where we lived...after all we were there for 18 years.

Like you we are still homesick...if only our daughter and SIL would move to the UK. Can't see it happening.

It was SO good to get out of the city for the summer. I have not missed sweating my bum off for months on end at all. My family were all really puzzled at me and my husband getting all happy about grey skies and rain. But it was so lovely! Went to Yorkshire when the Tour De France went through, and I have to say, even though my Grandma would spin in her grave, Yorkshire is just utterly breathtaking. Lancashire is too but driving through the Yorkshire dales and the moors.....I could've stayed for good.
The only thing I missed about the US was iced coffee! Although we did go out to the beach on Long Island this weekend and it was gorgeous.

I hope the winter isn't too brutal for either of us....I've had enough of shoveling snow to last a lifetime.
You'll have to get that daughter and sis in law of yours to move over somehow! Canada is great and everything and tbh I'd live there, especially Vancouver, but there's no place like home
Old Sep 1st 2014, 4:12 am
Senior Moment

Sarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lf1
Been back two years and I still love the weather. I listen to people around me moaning about the weather and I just smile politely. Just spent a month in Canada, mainly indoors, due to the hot weather which is not my thing.
I feel like I spend the majority of my time trying to explain to my family just how oppressive living in hot weather can be. I think they just think I'm complaining for the sake of it sometimes. Nothing made me appreciate the rainy climate of England like year after year of humidity and heatwaves in the US.
Old Sep 1st 2014, 7:46 am
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

It was SO good to get out of the city for the summer. I have not missed sweating my bum off for months on end at all. My family were all really puzzled at me and my husband getting all happy about grey skies and rain. But it was so lovely! Went to Yorkshire when the Tour De France went through, and I have to say, even though my Grandma would spin in her grave, Yorkshire is just utterly breathtaking. Lancashire is too but driving through the Yorkshire dales and the moors.....I could've stayed for good.
The only thing I missed about the US was iced coffee! Although we did go out to the beach on Long Island this weekend and it was gorgeous.

I hope the winter isn't too brutal for either of us....I've had enough of shoveling snow to last a lifetime.
You'll have to get that daughter and sis in law of yours to move over somehow! Canada is great and everything and tbh I'd live there, especially Vancouver, but there's no place like home
Yorkshire is at the northernmost end of my potential retirement zone (Yorkshire down to Hereford & Worcestershire). I plan to visit an old friend who lives near Skipton at Christmas and do a little recce.
Old Sep 1st 2014, 8:19 am
BE Enthusiast

happyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond repute

Still no regrets here - it's a bit like not having kids, people constantly saying "ooh you'll regret it...." - errr, nope

Loving living in my tiny cave-like stone cottage, messy garden stuffed with wildflowers, insects and birds, with loads of interesting villages, ancient buildings and stunning walks to rediscover. Still working really hard for crap pay but somehow it's fun. Weird.

In a shop yesterday, listened to old woman being incredibly crass with american-accented worker, and was reminded how much I DO NOT MISS constantly being asked the same old boring questions as soon as I opened my mouth.
Old Sep 1st 2014, 8:22 am
BE Enthusiast

happyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond repute

The only thing I missed about the US was iced coffee!
Ahhh, thanks for reminding me - must have some today. I make it with ice (obviously), espresso and soy milk, and maybe a dash of maple syrup if I'm feeling decadent. Better and cheaper than starbucks!
Old Sep 1st 2014, 9:54 am
BE Forum Addict

bigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dunroving
Yorkshire is at the northernmost end of my potential retirement zone (Yorkshire down to Hereford & Worcestershire). I plan to visit an old friend who lives near Skipton at Christmas and do a little recce.
DR Don't forget Gods Own County - Shropshire. Very lovely, very quiet, but driving distance of Birmingham Manchester and Liverpool. South Shropshire is just stunning.

When I lived there ten years ago, a neighbour (born in Yorkshire) heard that I had always wanted to go to Harry Ramsdens.
He turned up on my doorstep one weekend, and told me put my shoes on, Then he said we would tour for a day in the REAL Gods own county.
Yorkshire truly is just breathtakingly beautiful. It pains me to say it but the beer is almost uniformly excellent too.
And the fish and chips wasn't bad for a chain!
Old Sep 1st 2014, 12:56 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bigglesworth
DR Don't forget Gods Own County - Shropshire. Very lovely, very quiet, but driving distance of Birmingham Manchester and Liverpool. South Shropshire is just stunning.

When I lived there ten years ago, a neighbour (born in Yorkshire) heard that I had always wanted to go to Harry Ramsdens.
He turned up on my doorstep one weekend, and told me put my shoes on, Then he said we would tour for a day in the REAL Gods own county.
Yorkshire truly is just breathtakingly beautiful. It pains me to say it but the beer is almost uniformly excellent too.
And the fish and chips wasn't bad for a chain!
Yes, Shropshire is also on my radar. Essentially, I want to be within shouting distance of rail links (preferably within 1-2 miles of a station), countryside (preferably within a 15-minute drive for daily walks), and a city (preferably within a 45-minute or shorter train journey of Birmingham).

I am building up a shortlist of places that fit the bill, and over the next 3 years plan to take trips down to Birmingham and drive around some of these places to help me make a decision. Ideally, I will move from here the same day I retire.

I am currently researching the Cannock/Tamworth/Lichfield area online. Gradually working my way through different areas.

Any particular places you know in Shropshire that fit my needs described above?
Old Sep 1st 2014, 3:51 pm
Forum Regular

LostBrit99 is an unknown quantity at this point

Nobody understands the hell of living in constant heat. It hasnt been good for us atall. Constant health issues all heat related. No matter how much water you take. You cant spend your life on the beach forever cooling off either, life has to be lived. Its raining today, has rained for 24 hrs which is really unusual BUT its wonderful, we can breath
Old Sep 1st 2014, 7:07 pm
BE Enthusiast

J.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by LostBrit99
Nobody understands the hell of living in constant heat. It hasnt been good for us atall. Constant health issues all heat related. No matter how much water you take. You cant spend your life on the beach forever cooling off either, life has to be lived. Its raining today, has rained for 24 hrs which is really unusual BUT its wonderful, we can breath
I concur. In our first years in North Carolina I loved the summer heat but by 5+ years into it I dreaded the summer.
Weather in UK is definately not one of the things I moan about.
Old Sep 1st 2014, 8:03 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by J.JsOH
I concur. In our first years in North Carolina I loved the summer heat but by 5+ years into it I dreaded the summer.
Weather in UK is definately not one of the things I moan about.
The weather is one thing I don't like about the UK...the short, dark, dismal days in winter. Unpredictable weather during the summer. I love the summers in North America. Love knowing that at least 3 months of the year its shorts and tee shirt weather. The last time I spent a summer in the UK I had to buy a coat, jeans, shoes and sweaters.
Old Sep 1st 2014, 9:14 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

The sky can be a bit dull but the alternative in LA was just unbearable for me, with an Irish type of colouring and physiology.
Old Sep 1st 2014, 10:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

Teaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dunroving
My oldest two were born in Harrogate. I'm not from Yorkshire, but find it difficult to believe I'll never live there again. Life-long atheist, but if there is a god she lives in the dales.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.