Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Rest of the World
Reload this Page >

Where is the best place to live???

Where is the best place to live???

Old Mar 9th 2007, 5:11 am
Just Joined

Jwaltz is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Where is the best place to live???

I have been to GOA in India..definately good place to live...
Old Mar 9th 2007, 5:44 am
BE Enthusiast

phil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by sogertiser
Hi,

We are a young family and have come unstuck as to where to live/buy a house then enjoy life with our kids. We started off by looking to move to france, then as we dont speak the language thought we would struggle, We then and are still looking at canada, but heard its difficult to get in.

HELP!! Where is the best place for us to buy a cheap property and bring up our children, low crime, preferably English speaking and easy to get into, immigration.

We have considered loads of places, but our language is only English.

Please can someone help us, as we are getting very puzzled and just wish to finish working and spend the time with our children and enjoy life. Possibly we would work part time, but we should have about £50k to live on for a while after buying a house with some land.

Thanks to all who reply...
Hi
NEW ZEALAND! No question has everything a family could want.
Deb
Old Mar 13th 2007, 4:48 pm
Just Joined

Pasty Scot is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Re: Where is the best place to live???

This has been very interesting reading for me. I will look in to Dubai and Chile a bit more. Hadn't considered those before.
I too am looking to escape the uk, for a little while at least. The problem is where is the best place to go? I am a single parent, with one 11 year old and a cat who will soon have his own passport.
I would like to stay somewhere coastal, with low crime (so I believe that rules out the Spanish Costas). Not too worried about money, or making too much of a living to begin with. Must be warmer than the north of Scotland, which shouldn't be difficult. Would like British/International schools though.
A big shopping list. Can anyone make any suggestions?
Old Mar 14th 2007, 9:47 pm

happynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nice

Originally Posted by Pasty Scot
This has been very interesting reading for me. I will look in to Dubai and Chile a bit more. Hadn't considered those before.
I too am looking to escape the uk, for a little while at least. The problem is where is the best place to go? I am a single parent, with one 11 year old and a cat who will soon have his own passport.
I would like to stay somewhere coastal, with low crime (so I believe that rules out the Spanish Costas). Not too worried about money, or making too much of a living to begin with. Must be warmer than the north of Scotland, which shouldn't be difficult. Would like British/International schools though.
A big shopping list. Can anyone make any suggestions?
Montevideo, Uruguay or Waimea, Big Island Hawai'i. How's that?
Old Mar 14th 2007, 9:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

The Weezer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Weezer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Weezer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Weezer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Weezer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Weezer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Weezer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Weezer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Weezer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Weezer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Weezer has a reputation beyond repute

Argentina for holidays, Chile for living!
I would have to agree, although I've only travelled there but never
lived. Quite the most stunning places. And surprisingly clean and
safe. And very open to outsiders.

From reading the posts in other forums, people also seem enjoy life in Australia. Depends what you're looking for.

Here are some statistics on expatriates throughout the world
from the OECD. It can give you an idea of how many people leave
each country to find a better life, or more job opportunities.

I currently live in New Zealand and do not recommend it, except like
any other place in world, for a vacation. The cost of living is high,
and the wages low. And it does not compare to the
southern parts of Chile or Argentina for sheer beauty and variety of
landscapes. And, you might be surprised by this, is not as clean
as you'd think. The OECD statistics reveal that many New Zealanders
leave home to look for a better life.

http://www.oecd.org/document/51/0,23..._1_1_1,00.html
Old Mar 15th 2007, 9:31 am
Just Joined

Smile Re: Where is the best place to live???

Thanks for your replies. I will need to do a lot of research I think. Sorry to hear NZ is not going well. Have a friend in Mount Maunganui who loves it.
Old Mar 27th 2007, 6:16 am
Just Joined

terie is an unknown quantity at this point

We are a young family and have come unstuck as to where to live/buy a house then enjoy life with our kids.
For enjoying life with the kids I found no better place than the Philippines.
First we were able to buy a house with a huge garden, I mean so huge that we needed two cows to graze the 10.000 sq.m lawn, for a bargain. I was an expat in the Middle east before and everything, especially labour, was so cheap in the Philippines. I loved building things there!

First thing we did was build a pool, where the children could splash to cool off. With so many house helpers, the only time you have with the children is quality time.
As a result we are very close to our children.

For schooling, however, we preferred New Zealand and so we moved on after 8 years. Our house in Cebu is now for rent for expats.

The children have grown up now, our son is still in University and our daughter is adventuring in Sweden...
Old Apr 6th 2007, 9:13 pm
Forum Regular

qwerty007 will become famous soon enoughqwerty007 will become famous soon enough

Malaysia is fairly easy to get into and housing quite cheap, but fearful humidity, and some of the coast os polluted. Beautiful place though. Cyprus is quite nice if you don't mind an island. Plenty of expats, but housing is probably gooing up since I was there. I would avoid the north. Turkey has some cheap housing an good climate. Turks can be a little tricky sometimes ...haggling is a way of life. Belize and Panama both offer incentives for retirees, and Costa Rica is a favourite with Americans. Here's a link to a country guide http://www.expatfocus.com/expatriate-country-guides
Old Apr 23rd 2007, 11:42 am
Just Joined

Karenwhe is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by qwerty007
Malaysia is fairly easy to get into and housing quite cheap, but fearful humidity, and some of the coast os polluted. Beautiful place though. Cyprus is quite nice if you don't mind an island. Plenty of expats, but housing is probably gooing up since I was there. I would avoid the north. Turkey has some cheap housing an good climate. Turks can be a little tricky sometimes ...haggling is a way of life. Belize and Panama both offer incentives for retirees, and Costa Rica is a favourite with Americans. Here's a link to a country guide http://www.expatfocus.com/expatriate-country-guides
Wow, so many countries and places.

I personally have lived in the UK 4 years, Australia (Melbourne) 1, Israel 10, Romania, Czech Republic 1 year, been in South Africa in 1996 and then returned to live here in 2003.

Out of all the places I have lived in (visited more), the Czech Republic was the best. I think there are some 120,000 foreign residents living there that don't want to leave. I know someone from the UK that set up a company in Prague and is doing extremely well - she never wants to leave. She gets the best of worlds, cheap living, good business and the possibility to visit friends and family often.

Trade with the EU is easy, travel in Europe is easy, cheap and close, lots of customers, living expenses great at that time (2002).

The down side is school fees for English international school, they are expensive for the average salary. I work in IT so it was doable.

Australia is great, only one minor problem, very difficult to find jobs if you are not Australian, no matter how qualified. Heard of many sad stories around this issue, far less good stories.

I live now in South Africa and though I don't have what many call the “Fairy Land City” - Prague), the life style is great and if you know where to live - it is safe and if you don't get involved in politics (which I never do anyway) then everything is perfect.

In the job sector in SA you have to be an entrepreneur if you really want to have it great. Jobs are not a good sectors in SA for foreigners that are not relocated with a company directly to SA. For people that corporate career and a job is important, SA might be difficult.

However as opposed to Australia in South Africa there opportunities for business are huge (emerging markets). Without even fore planning or intention I opened 3 companies in 4 years all doing great. It is not expensive to do business in SA and you have to go with blinkers around to stop looking at opportunities, there are just too many.
Old Apr 23rd 2007, 6:10 pm
Forum Regular

qwerty007 will become famous soon enoughqwerty007 will become famous soon enough

I think the whole question of where is the best place to live is pretty subjective. The hardest thing to do is make a judgement based on a few criteria, and then pack your bags and move lock, stock and barrel to a place you have no connection to, other than stories you've heard. This life style is for adventurers, or the perennial traveller, or people who either need change, or are unsatiably curious, or perhaps are unsettled within themselves. If you are none of these, then following a 'connection' is the best route ...a job offer, a relative or friend, or cultural links. I was pilloried by a fellow countryman for suggesting that the UK was actually a good place to live. I felt justified in saying that, since I had left the UK and was able to make the comparison with other countries, but apparently, "...the country has gone to the dogs", which seems curious because my grandfather was always saying that.

Unless you really are a refugee, then it sometimes boils down to a making a change in your life to rekindle what many of us seem to lose in life ...interest, motivation, and adventure. So another way to look at this whole issue may be to cast aside the question about where is the best place to live (because there really isn't anywhere), and focus on the 'experience' factor. What could you gain from the experience of living is such and such a place? That will open new horizons. It doesn't have to be your sole driving force, but it helps get around the inevitable 'comparisons' scenario.
Old Apr 24th 2007, 9:03 am
Just Joined

Hi all
I have kind of agreed with qwerty007. I have decided just to make a move within the UK for the time being (probably Edinburgh) and go on a few trips to reccie other areas. Thats the problem when the world is your oyster - too many places to go!
Perhaps its just a slight change of scene thats needed to shake things up a bit. Got too caught up in the rat race, too scared to make a change, but I now refuse to be a prisoner to my mortgage. I'm off.
Old Apr 24th 2007, 3:23 pm
Forum Regular

Good for you Patsy and Good Luck!
Old Apr 27th 2007, 7:02 pm
Just Joined

BigWilly is an unknown quantity at this point

So where have you decided to go.......?
Old May 1st 2007, 5:08 am
Just Joined

willyontour is an unknown quantity at this point

This is an incredibly interesting thread. I've also lived in a few places - England, Australia and Israel. And I've backpacked all over the world. My wife and I are now looking at moving from Melbourne to somewhere in Africa. I notice there's no mention of Africa (other than South Africa) anywhere on this thread. Is that due to safety and health issues?

I appreciate the living somewhere and traveling somewhere are very different propositions but we fell in love with Africa - it's people, colour, soul, passion, energy, animals and nature. There are english speaking countries all across Africa.

Does anyone have any opinion on emigrating to a developing African country?

We don't have any kids at the mo but things may change in a couple of years...
Old May 1st 2007, 8:28 am
Galaxy 1: Cadbury's 0

uk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by willyontour
in love with Africa - it's people, colour, soul, passion, energy, animals and nature.
I agree. I love Africa, having lived there as a child and now having been back as an adult. I just can't describe the feeling I have for it, but your use of the word 'soul' was spot on. My last trip, about 10 years ago now though, was to Namibia.

Can't help with living there now though. Not sure I would consider raising children there (schools? but then again, it really depends what kind of upbringing you would like them to have and what's important) but I do wish I'd tried to live there for a while when I was still in my 20's, pre children, for the experience again.

Good luck. Let us know how it goes.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.