Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Rest of the World
Reload this Page >

Where is the best place to live???

Where is the best place to live???

Old May 4th 2007, 2:57 pm
Just Joined

mercurial is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Where is the best place to live???

Happynz why do you think Montevideo is such a good place to live? I am an english speaking person from the Caribbean and I would like to go to Uruguay and I would like some tips...I have heard that it has some serious economic problems and social problems and also quite expensive? Is that true? What can you tell me about Uruguay and why you think that it is the best part of Latin America and so good to live..such a good bargain?

Thanks Mercurial..
Old May 4th 2007, 3:07 pm
Just Joined

mercurial is an unknown quantity at this point

Southatlanticmatt
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

South Atlantic Matt (this question is also for you) why do you think Montevideo is such a good place to live? I am an english speaking person from the Caribbean and I would like to go to Uruguay and I would like some tips...I have heard that it has some serious economic problems and social problems and also quite expensive? Is that true? What can you tell me about Uruguay and why you think that it is the best part of Latin America and so good to live..such a good bargain?

Thanks Mercurial..
Old May 4th 2007, 8:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

trutje has much to be proud oftrutje has much to be proud oftrutje has much to be proud oftrutje has much to be proud oftrutje has much to be proud oftrutje has much to be proud oftrutje has much to be proud oftrutje has much to be proud oftrutje has much to be proud oftrutje has much to be proud oftrutje has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by qwerty007
I think the whole question of where is the best place to live is pretty subjective. The hardest thing to do is make a judgement based on a few criteria, and then pack your bags and move lock, stock and barrel to a place you have no connection to, other than stories you've heard. This life style is for adventurers, or the perennial traveller, or people who either need change, or are unsatiably curious, or perhaps are unsettled within themselves. If you are none of these, then following a 'connection' is the best route ...a job offer, a relative or friend, or cultural links. I was pilloried by a fellow countryman for suggesting that the UK was actually a good place to live. I felt justified in saying that, since I had left the UK and was able to make the comparison with other countries, but apparently, "...the country has gone to the dogs", which seems curious because my grandfather was always saying that.

Unless you really are a refugee, then it sometimes boils down to a making a change in your life to rekindle what many of us seem to lose in life ...interest, motivation, and adventure. So another way to look at this whole issue may be to cast aside the question about where is the best place to live (because there really isn't anywhere), and focus on the 'experience' factor. What could you gain from the experience of living is such and such a place? That will open new horizons. It doesn't have to be your sole driving force, but it helps get around the inevitable 'comparisons' scenario.
Totaly agree!! Well said!
Old May 21st 2007, 11:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

Douglas M is a jewel in the roughDouglas M is a jewel in the roughDouglas M is a jewel in the roughDouglas M is a jewel in the roughDouglas M is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by qwerty007
I think the whole question of where is the best place to live is pretty subjective. The hardest thing to do is make a judgement based on a few criteria, and then pack your bags and move lock, stock and barrel to a place you have no connection to, other than stories you've heard. This life style is for adventurers, or the perennial traveller, or people who either need change, or are unsatiably curious, or perhaps are unsettled within themselves. If you are none of these, then following a 'connection' is the best route ...a job offer, a relative or friend, or cultural links. I was pilloried by a fellow countryman for suggesting that the UK was actually a good place to live. I felt justified in saying that, since I had left the UK and was able to make the comparison with other countries, but apparently, "...the country has gone to the dogs", which seems curious because my grandfather was always saying that.

Unless you really are a refugee, then it sometimes boils down to a making a change in your life to rekindle what many of us seem to lose in life ...interest, motivation, and adventure. So another way to look at this whole issue may be to cast aside the question about where is the best place to live (because there really isn't anywhere), and focus on the 'experience' factor. What could you gain from the experience of living is such and such a place? That will open new horizons. It doesn't have to be your sole driving force, but it helps get around the inevitable 'comparisons' scenario.

Hi qwerty 0007,

Nice thoughtful post, i agree that the "experience factor" is paramount.

You learn a lot about lots of things, including yourself, when you make such a move.

But there is a downside to that change within yourself, in many ways it is empowering, but in some ways isolating.

I wouldnt go back though , even if i could. Emotionaly and psychologicaly i mean, rather than physically.

regards

douglas
Old May 29th 2007, 3:10 pm
Don't forget your towel

Don Pablo has a brilliant futureDon Pablo has a brilliant futureDon Pablo has a brilliant futureDon Pablo has a brilliant futureDon Pablo has a brilliant futureDon Pablo has a brilliant futureDon Pablo has a brilliant future

I love Belize, I can walk round with three items of clothing and the mango's will be ready to drop soon.

They say it was 3degC in London last night.

lol
Old Jun 4th 2007, 4:50 pm
Banned

Location: Orlando,Florida,living in Buckinghamshire for next 6 weeks.
YankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tracey M
If you're looking for cheap land, a safe environment for children, an active healthy lifestyle, low cost living and a fantastic climate, consider Argentina. I know of a British family who recently moved out to Mendoza, Argentina's spectacular wind producing region. Vineyards in this part of the world can be picked up for as little as 30K USD. If you would like contact details, just let me know. I'm heading out there to check it out for myself next month!

Tracey Meagher
I love the people of Argentina.they are absolutly the most down to earth people.A drawback is the fact few Argentines speak english.But learning Spainish will not be that difficult because you will have no choice but to adapt.It will be a major culture shock living there and in my opinion Buenos Aires is the best area of Argentina to call home.Great night life,amazing resturants.I lived in Argentina for 6 months.
Old Jun 13th 2007, 11:07 pm
Just Joined

Flea is an unknown quantity at this point

Czech Republic is great. We moved to Brno (second largest city after Prague) a year ago and the quality of living is fantastic. The language is a slight barrier but many more people are learning english here and I would say that 90% of educated people under 30 speak english very well. There are a huge amount of companies setting up out here from all over the UK and America so plenty of job opportunities and lots of expats moving here to work. The kids here are healthy and cultured. Just on our block there is a Music school, a Technical University and an Academy of Arts- Ive been in cellar pubs where young musicians just fancy getting out thier instruments and playing for the hell of it.
Property is cheap and a great investment - we bought our city apartment outright for £60,000 after selling up in UK, spent £90,000 overall after renovation and we can rent it for £500 - £800 per month while travelling (we are starting a business in India).
Food, culture, transport and family fun is extremely cheap, there is a great mix of beautiful countryside and city buzz. One last thing to consider: Snow in the winter, 30 degrees from April to October and very little rain!!

Can you tell I love it here?!!!

Good Luck!!
Old Jul 12th 2007, 1:28 am
Forum Regular

subwoofer is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by sogertiser
Hi,

We are a young family and have come unstuck as to where to live/buy a house then enjoy life with our kids. We started off by looking to move to france, then as we dont speak the language thought we would struggle, We then and are still looking at canada, but heard its difficult to get in.

HELP!! Where is the best place for us to buy a cheap property and bring up our children, low crime, preferably English speaking and easy to get into, immigration.

We have considered loads of places, but our language is only English.

Please can someone help us, as we are getting very puzzled and just wish to finish working and spend the time with our children and enjoy life. Possibly we would work part time, but we should have about £50k to live on for a while after buying a house with some land.

Thanks to all who reply...
I would highly recommend the Isle Of Man, Im trying to go there with my family. Low Tax, low crime, beautifull place, nice people, plenty of housing. My only problem is that in my trade ( aircraft dispatcher) it is hard finding a job that pays enough to live on with any great degree of comfort. Try this site and let me know how you get on! www.isle-of-man.com
Old Jul 27th 2007, 4:36 am
Account Closed

lionheart is an unknown quantity at this point

Please don't look too closely at Dubai. Its a concrete jungle with horrendous traffic. Over 50% of the population are from India/Pakistan and 70% are single males. House prices are extortionate, the cost of living as high as the UK and the weather sucks. Fine in the winter but from May to November its 100deg with unbearable humidity. We are trying to leave but work is holding me back. Considering Spain or SW France.
Old Aug 1st 2007, 10:37 pm
Banned

Dago is a splendid one to beholdDago is a splendid one to beholdDago is a splendid one to beholdDago is a splendid one to beholdDago is a splendid one to beholdDago is a splendid one to beholdDago is a splendid one to beholdDago is a splendid one to beholdDago is a splendid one to beholdDago is a splendid one to beholdDago is a splendid one to behold

I have a home in The Gambia Spk ex-colony. I love it there it is laid back, easy, child friendly and you can get a lot for the pound. There is an increasing UK / Euro ex-pat population.

It is probably within the top 10 poorest countries and the infrastructure is not to UK standard but the people are nice.

In West Africa there are:

The Gold Coast
Ivory Coast
Skeleton Coast

Gambia is the Smiling Coast.
Old Aug 26th 2007, 9:33 am
Forum Regular

MichelleAlison is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Re: Where is the best place to live???

We moved our family to Argentina last year (from London) and I would say it is the best thing we ever did.

Firstly, you shouldn't allow the language to be a barrier. In the future, your children will appreciate having a second language. They might find it difficult at first, but it is all part and parcel of moving to a foreign land. My children go to an International school and 50% of the classes are in English. They provide extra tuition in Spanish.

We are not in Buenos Aires, but in a city called Mar del Plata, 250 south of BA, on the atlantic ocean. The most important aspect of our move, is the freedom our children now enjoy. Something they never did in London. Yes, there are economic problems, but then again, I would say that the UK is no better. I was always taught that a good economy was supposed to make people richer, this certainly isn't the case in the UK. The rich get richer, but the rest, well .......................
Old Oct 10th 2007, 8:53 pm
Just Joined

davey2 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by sogertiser
Hi,

We are a young family and have come unstuck as to where to live/buy a house then enjoy life with our kids. We started off by looking to move to france, then as we dont speak the language thought we would struggle, We then and are still looking at canada, but heard its difficult to get in.

HELP!! Where is the best place for us to buy a cheap property and bring up our children, low crime, preferably English speaking and easy to get into, immigration.

We have considered loads of places, but our language is only English.

Please can someone help us, as we are getting very puzzled and just wish to finish working and spend the time with our children and enjoy life. Possibly we would work part time, but we should have about £50k to live on for a while after buying a house with some land.

Thanks to all who reply...
THAILAND, without a doubt best place in the world. no crime, nice people, fun lifestyle, cheap, great food, there are many ways to get residency...read up on it, have a holiday see it first and enjoy, need I go on....
Old Oct 12th 2007, 10:19 pm

happynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nice

Originally Posted by davey2
THAILAND, without a doubt best place in the world. no crime, nice people, fun lifestyle, cheap, great food, there are many ways to get residency...read up on it, have a holiday see it first and enjoy, need I go on....
No crime in Thailand? Jeez...that's an incredible statement! I'm not sure then what you would call having a pistol pointed at one's chest? How about being shot at on an inter-city coach? Then the annoyance of having shoes stolen from just outside one's own front door? This all happened to me when I lived in Thailand. While on a ramble through a rubber tree plantation I have also came across stripped naked bodies with their arms tied behind them and with large gunshot holes in their bodies. I've seen a headless body floating in a klong in Bangkok.

No crime in Thailand? Pull the other leg, mate.

Don't get me wrong. I have no beef with the place. I love Thailand, my missus is Thai and our daughter was born there. There may be a day when we move back. However, despite the great food, lovely warm weather and friendly people there is still a dark side. Don't kid yourself.
Old Oct 28th 2007, 5:30 am
Just Joined

zibeel is an unknown quantity at this point

Well I'm a little biased, but I too would offer up Belize as a consideraton.

It is a stable democratic relatively new country still finding its feet. So far it has attracted predominantly North Americans as expats though Brits with ex-colonial or Military connections are in evidence.

It is essentially English speaking with much of the legal system being based upon the British system. Makes dealing with the bureaucracy just as long-winded but perhaps a little more understandable!

The weather can be hot but it's virtually always sunny and never cold. Food is affordable and £1000 building plots and £7500 homes are available, though like most places the top notch locations and homes are much more expensive but still significantly better value for money than the UK!

Headline crime is pretty bad but most of it is between locals in the urban sprawl of Belize City, rarely is it directed against expats.

Reasonable healthcare is available locally or in neigbouring Mexico/Guatemala

Immigration is fairly easy though long-winded, getting a job is difficult but setting up a business is relatively easy.

Education for most would not be considered up to Modern standards, but home-schooling is an option that some people follow.

Basically, if you need regular medical attention or you want a good formal "westernised" education for your children, don't like the heat, can't stand the myriad of amazing bugs, expect first-class quality and efficiency in all your dealings, need a B&Q or Tesco for your shopping and a world of choice in everything else - Belize may not be for you -

If you can live without all of the above, Belize may be worth a closer look!!

Old Oct 28th 2007, 5:34 am
BE Enthusiast

zanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to all

BARBADOS!!!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.