British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Rest of the World (https://britishexpats.com/forum/rest-world-62/)
-   -   Where is the best place to live??? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/rest-world-62/where-best-place-live-297164/)

sogertiser Apr 17th 2005 5:46 pm

Where is the best place to live???

Hi,

We are a young family and have come unstuck as to where to live/buy a house then enjoy life with our kids. We started off by looking to move to france, then as we dont speak the language thought we would struggle, We then and are still looking at canada, but heard its difficult to get in.

HELP!! Where is the best place for us to buy a cheap property and bring up our children, low crime, preferably English speaking and easy to get into, immigration.

We have considered loads of places, but our language is only English.

Please can someone help us, as we are getting very puzzled and just wish to finish working and spend the time with our children and enjoy life. Possibly we would work part time, but we should have about £50k to live on for a while after buying a house with some land.

Thanks to all who reply...

tommytriggs Apr 17th 2005 6:04 pm

Re: Where is the best place to live???

well, i cant say its the best place, but they do speak english & they'll let anyone in so you wont have a problem there. I too am lookin for a better life, but feel the country i refer to as not for me. Still each to their own, anyway i hope you find what your lookin for as i do myself & all the best. Oh yeah the country with easy access, well i dunno if your gonna like the sound of this....it's....erm....england...lol. but hey if you cant laugh wot can u do...lol
Be lucky

wildmark May 12th 2005 3:11 pm

Originally Posted by tommytriggs
well, i cant say its the best place, but they do speak english & they'll let anyone in so you wont have a problem there. I too am lookin for a better life, but feel the country i refer to as not for me. Still each to their own, anyway i hope you find what your lookin for as i do myself & all the best. Oh yeah the country with easy access, well i dunno if your gonna like the sound of this....it's....erm....england...lol. but hey if you cant laugh wot can u do...lol
Be lucky

LoL...

eliscolin May 12th 2005 4:09 pm

Canada, US, Australia, New Zealand and perhaps South Africa (although I would be wary of SA now).

The other choice is somewhere like the Costa del Sol where alot of English is spoken.

These are your only choices if you want English speaking countries but then you also will need good qualifications + experience to get into those places.

I would suggest learning a language with your family....it really is not as hard as you think. My wife is from Brazil and I learned Portuguese by speaking around my wife.

At home she speaks English to me and I respond in Portuguese and it feels natural now. Perhaps you could try and learn a language with your family?

Guest21 May 13th 2005 7:14 pm

Originally Posted by sogertiser
Hi,

We are a young family and have come unstuck as to where to live/buy a house then enjoy life with our kids. We started off by looking to move to france, then as we dont speak the language thought we would struggle, We then and are still looking at canada, but heard its difficult to get in.

HELP!! Where is the best place for us to buy a cheap property and bring up our children, low crime, preferably English speaking and easy to get into, immigration.

Please can someone help us, as we are getting very puzzled and just wish to finish working and spend the time with our children and enjoy life. Possibly we would work part time, but we should have about £50k to live on for a while after buying a house with some land.

Hey how about the Algarve there are alot of Brits there and because theres a large British Based Community there even most of the Portugese speak English I lived there for a few years its safe excellant schools easy access to the UK and cheap.
Worth Looking into, look around the Albufiera area.

Whiskers Good luck

Face81 Jun 21st 2005 11:03 am

Hi,

Please can someone help us, as we are getting very puzzled and just wish to finish working and spend the time with our children and enjoy life. Possibly we would work part time, but we should have about �50k to live on for a while after buying a house with some land.

Hi....... I am an escaped ME forumer...... I mean you no harm and I swear, I come in peace. :p

Have u ever considered Dubai? Pop into the ME section and have a look. We may just convince you to move out here. :D

Good luck!

Ransi Jun 21st 2005 11:43 am

Originally Posted by Face81
Hi....... I am an escaped ME forumer...... I mean you no harm and I swear, I come in peace. :p

PMSL :D

novita77 Jun 21st 2005 3:33 pm

Originally Posted by Face81

Have u ever considered Dubai? Pop into the ME section and have a look. We may just convince you to move out here. :D

Good luck!

Property in Dubai too exspensive ... :D

I would suggest Malaysia ...

No offence Face ....

South Atlantic MAtt Jun 23rd 2005 1:53 am

I'd say Uruguay. Mild oceanic-mediterranean climate, no polllution. The urban-woodland strip stretching from Montevideo to trendy Punta Del Este boasts one of the best low crime - low property costs relations and if you're raising kids you should know that Montevideo has many traditional bilingual and english-speaking schools. The population in the city is mostly European descent and English is the unofficial secondary languaje. Uruguayans have long excellent relations with brits and the leftist part of the new government is quiet unoticeable.
The additional benefit is that 2 hours away by australian or japanese fast ferry (or 20 mins by plane) you'll find Buenos Aires offering the best bargains in clothes, cuisine and wines (as well as the excitement of a 12 million people megalopolis)
I lived some years in Punta del Este which bring me some great memories,
feel free to ask me for info!

I understand Norfolk Island is another great choice.

JAJ Jun 23rd 2005 2:24 am

Originally Posted by South Atlantic MAtt

Norfolk Island is hard to get into - although it's an Australian territory it has its own immigration laws.

Closer to the UK the Isle of Man offers a different way of life while still British (low taxes a bonus), although if you don't have skills you'll probably find it hard to get a permit (even if you're British) - http://www.gov.im

Gibraltar may be another option. And for those with specific skills and resourcefulness, who don't mind a cool climate, there's always the Falkland Islands (the Falklands are keen to have suitable migrants, apparently).

Jeremy

South Atlantic MAtt Jun 23rd 2005 8:17 pm

Agree, Norfolk Island is quiet elite, but again my first suggestion was Uruguay, which hosts more brits than N.I. and the Falklands toghether and offers plenty of job opportunities for expats.

TouristTrap Jun 23rd 2005 11:23 pm

Originally Posted by South Atlantic MAtt
I'd say Uruguay. Mild oceanic-mediterranean climate, no polllution. The urban-woodland strip stretching from Montevideo to trendy Punta Del Este boasts one of the best low crime - low property costs relations and if you're raising kids you should know that Montevideo has many traditional bilingual and english-speaking schools. The population in the city is mostly European descent and English is the unofficial secondary languaje. Uruguayans have long excellent relations with brits and the leftist part of the new government is quiet unoticeable.
The additional benefit is that 2 hours away by australian or japanese fast ferry (or 20 mins by plane) you'll find Buenos Aires offering the best bargains in clothes, cuisine and wines (as well as the excitement of a 12 million people megalopolis)
I lived some years in Punta del Este which bring me some great memories,
feel free to ask me for info!

Why did you leave if I may ask?

South Atlantic MAtt Jun 24th 2005 3:16 am

Originally Posted by izibear
Why did you leave if I may ask?

I just went back to London for a while (for interrumpted schooling -and parting) and then began worldtrouting. there was nothing disencouraging about Uruguay, just not much to do.... windsurfing and websurfing mainly
Right now I'm working in Buenos Aires and Patagonia on digital geographic-touristic guides. I'm looking forward for getting to know the Falklands but unless I'm sponsored I wouldn`t pay 1000 pounds for a 500 miles crossing...
after that.. i just don`t know.. which brings me to the question:

where is the best place to live?

Gray C Jul 6th 2005 9:18 am

Hi,

Please can someone help us, as we are getting very puzzled and just wish to finish working and spend the time with our children and enjoy life. Possibly we would work part time, but we should have about ?50k to live on for a while after buying a house with some land.

We are trying for Canada. To see whether you score enough points to gain entry to Canada, why not contact Andrew Miller, who is the immigration expert on the Canadian Immigration forum. He can give you a free assessment and will tell you whether it is worth pursuing an application or not.

Our second option is rural Spain if we are not successful with our Canadian application.

Good luck

vsciriha Jul 6th 2005 1:08 pm

Have you ever thought about MALTA. HAve a look on the internet and see that Malta is ideal for families. If need help get in touch
Good luck!

Originally Posted by tommytriggs
well, i cant say its the best place, but they do speak english & they'll let anyone in so you wont have a problem there. I too am lookin for a better life, but feel the country i refer to as not for me. Still each to their own, anyway i hope you find what your lookin for as i do myself & all the best. Oh yeah the country with easy access, well i dunno if your gonna like the sound of this....it's....erm....england...lol. but hey if you c wot can u do...lol
Be lucky