Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Portugal
Reload this Page >

Your Portugal ex-pat social experience?

Wikiposts

Your Portugal ex-pat social experience?

Old Dec 26th 2016, 10:37 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

GeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Your Portugal ex-pat social experience?

Originally Posted by macliam
"Swallowing" parts of words is very common all over Portugal, but more educated people or those used to speaking to foreigners might do it less. Portuguese is very like English in this respect - words are pronounced according to context - for example "Estou" should be pronounced "eh-STOO" but is normally pronounced "'Shtoh" apart from when answering the phone when it becomes "'Toh" almost universally.

Here in the Alentejo they use some words far closer to Spanish than the "normal" Portuguese - but then, they have a massive shared border. Equally, they appear to have multiple names for the same thing, but actually they describe a tree at different stages of growth, etc. - that's hard to decode! - and a horse is almost always an "Egua" rather than "Cavalo" -straight from Latin! Plus, you must remember that you are in the Algarve, not Portugal - no slight intended, but the Kings were always titled "King of Portugal and the Algarve" and my wife (from Lisbon) looks on the algarvios as being "different".

In Lisbon, I find people use a lot of popular constructs taken from TV adverts etc. - i.e. "Es sempre a mesma machina, pa" "You're always the same machine, mate" which means "you never change", but comes from some old TV advert...... But conversational language is never like lessons - once your ear attunes, Portuguese is far more homogenous than English in the UK - no real equivalent of Geordies, or Makems or Glaswegians - or Irish, here.

By the way, when my father first ventured to the UK in 1941, he stayed in Bath. There he always recalled being called "my cocker" or "my lover" by everyone, male or female - and one expression he never forgot was "Thee casn't kist likes thee coulds't cas't?" - you don't kiss like you used to! Some contructs were still straight from German (or Anglo-Saxon?). As a poor Limerick boy, he found life "interesting"! Now tell me about Portuguese!!!

Oh oh that sounds exactly the way the Dutch talked about the difference between the north .meaning Amsterdam and the Hague ,and those in the south 'below the river' (The Maas) being of a different and in their case -inferior breed.
Brabanders (the south) would disagree as they had both French and Spanish influence and therefore boast of being Burgundian.More hospitable, generous and speak with a softer accent instead of the guttural sounding north.

The Algarve was of course Al Garb the home of the moors for hundreds of yrs. The Lucitani were further north There is still a turning up of the nose at the 'Arabs' in some quarters so I am told.
Luckily today we can't generalise anymore as people move about so much. Many ex-Lisbonites live here ,and Algarvians in Lisbon.
How about this for a twist. I am English being taught Portuguese by a Dutch woman from Amsterdam who used to live in Cascais and taught classical Coimbra (supposedly the most pure) Portuguese at a Lisbon college. If I speak to her in Dutch she sometimes has to correct me as I speak some words with a Brabant accent.Lessons are far from straight forward sometimes
Old Dec 26th 2016, 10:44 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

GeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by morpeth
I read that Dutch is the easiest of the Germanic languages for English-speakers to learn.

Geordie via Northumbrian is the real English, closer to Middle English than Modern English, or so they at least by some near the Tyne by intellectual Geordies.
My OH would probable dispute that claim Morpeth. He learn't German at school and found Dutch far more difficult.. He's from Geordie stock too..Gateshead... He has found Portuguese pretty easy as he took Latin at school. It should be easy for me too as at least 600 words are practically the same in English.. just have different endings. It's the words I can't attach to anything,even to take a guess that floor me every time...Like Tambem.demesiado etc... aaghhhhh.
Old Dec 26th 2016, 8:26 pm
Resident Cynic

macliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by GeniB
Oh oh that sounds exactly the way the Dutch talked about the difference between the north .meaning Amsterdam and the Hague ,and those in the south 'below the river' (The Maas) being of a different and in their case -inferior breed.
Brabanders (the south) would disagree as they had both French and Spanish influence and therefore boast of being Burgundian.More hospitable, generous and speak with a softer accent instead of the guttural sounding north.

The Algarve was of course Al Garb the home of the moors for hundreds of yrs. The Lucitani were further north There is still a turning up of the nose at the 'Arabs' in some quarters so I am told.
Luckily today we can't generalise anymore as people move about so much. Many ex-Lisbonites live here ,and Algarvians in Lisbon.
How about this for a twist. I am English being taught Portuguese by a Dutch woman from Amsterdam who used to live in Cascais and taught classical Coimbra (supposedly the most pure) Portuguese at a Lisbon college. If I speak to her in Dutch she sometimes has to correct me as I speak some words with a Brabant accent.Lessons are far from straight forward sometimes
Coimbra being THE University in Portugal (and for many the only one worth attending), your teacher probably would speak "perfect" Portuguese. Unfortunately most other people don't!

As with fado, there is a big difference between Coimbra Portuguese and the Lisbon sotaque - and since my Portuguese is learned by ear, on a base of Latin, French and Castillian beaten into me by the Christian Brothers (and cúpla focal of Irish, which doesn't help much!), my vocabulary is huge, I don't have too many problems with the pronunciation, but my grammar is dire! Luckily so is that of most of the people I talk with and they gently correct me if I'm really wrong. Or not, as in the case of my brother-in-law, who in early days, when I "voce'd" him immediately shot back with "eh pa, es brasileiro, o que?" with a huge grin. That cured me.

Your ear will attune to the way people speak, but it takes time and practice. If you speak good Portuguese back to them they'll know - and maybe try to up their game. But don't be shy about telling them you don't understand what they're trying to tell you, there's always more ways than one to skin a cat!
Old Dec 26th 2016, 9:58 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

morpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by GeniB
My OH would probable dispute that claim Morpeth. He learn't German at school and found Dutch far more difficult.. He's from Geordie stock too..Gateshead... He has found Portuguese pretty easy as he took Latin at school. It should be easy for me too as at least 600 words are practically the same in English.. just have different endings. It's the words I can't attach to anything,even to take a guess that floor me every time...Like Tambem.demesiado etc... aaghhhhh.
I don't speak Dutch, was just reading in an article on linquistics that linguists studying the issue claimed Dutch would normally be easiest language for English-speakers to learn

While I don't speak Portugese I suspect like Spanish there are a lot more words that are similar to English than 600 words- words that came into English from Latin or French are far more than 600 words. I can read Portugese fairly well knowing Spanish and French, it is the accent that throws me. Then again, I can understand Spanish spoken in Mexico or Colombia a lot easier than in Spain.
Old Dec 27th 2016, 2:50 am
Resident Cynic

macliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by morpeth
I can read Portugese fairly well knowing Spanish and French, it is the accent that throws me. Then again, I can understand Spanish spoken in Mexico or Colombia a lot easier than in Spain.
When I first met my wife, in London, I had never visited Portugal or met any Portuguese before. The spoken language sounded more eastern european than latin to my ears and even when I did pick up on words that were close to Spanish or French or Latin, it was difficult to put things in context. Although I was used to the nasal sounds from French, it seemed Portuguese did them in spades and that combined with the zzh soud every couple of words threw me off completely!

But, over time you get used to it - and now I have difficulty speaking Castillian, because the Portuguese words and pronunciation always comes to mind first!

Last edited by macliam; Dec 27th 2016 at 3:26 am.
Old Dec 27th 2016, 2:57 am
BE Forum Addict

BillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond repute

My Rumanian friend / workman would agree with you Macliam. Eastern Europeans pick up the Portuguese language fairly quickly because of the similarities.
Old Dec 27th 2016, 9:01 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by macliam
Coimbra being THE University in Portugal (and for many the only one worth attending), your teacher probably would speak "perfect" Portuguese. Unfortunately most other people don't!

As with fado, there is a big difference between Coimbra Portuguese and the Lisbon sotaque - and since my Portuguese is learned by ear, on a base of Latin, French and Castillian beaten into me by the Christian Brothers (and cúpla focal of Irish, which doesn't help much!), my vocabulary is huge, I don't have too many problems with the pronunciation, but my grammar is dire! Luckily so is that of most of the people I talk with and they gently correct me if I'm really wrong. Or not, as in the case of my brother-in-law, who in early days, when I "voce'd" him immediately shot back with "eh pa, es brasileiro, o que?" with a huge grin. That cured me.

Your ear will attune to the way people speak, but it takes time and practice. If you speak good Portuguese back to them they'll know - and maybe try to up their game. But don't be shy about telling them you don't understand what they're trying to tell you, there's always more ways than one to skin a cat!
Thanks for the kind encouragement macliam! I am luckily not at all shy(If I was it was knocked out of me in the Netherlands. They don't tolerate ditherers ,or actually understand the concept of shy..lol.)
Your lucky to be living in a family that speaks Portuguese .I think thats the key,the very best way to learn. I was lucky in NL in that after I had finished the 'so called' housewives course in Dutch (same as the business men only longer) My neighbour took it upon herself to teach me every Monday morning for an hour over coffee. I moaned and groaned at times,but if it hadn't been for her I would have given up. I need another Portuguese teacher like her I think.It makes all the difference.