Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Portugal
Reload this Page >

New residence permits for Brits in Pt before 31/12/20

New residence permits for Brits in Pt before 31/12/20

Old Dec 16th 2020, 10:03 am
BE Enthusiast

Rambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: New residence permits for Brits in Pt before 31/12/20

Originally Posted by BillBullock
Guess what? SEF entered the wrong DOB for my wife on their system and that is why we could not register with them online. It took a second call to their telephone helpline to discover their mistake. So now I have managed to register her with the wrong DOB and will correct that at a later stage.
Old Dec 16th 2020, 10:15 am
BE Enthusiast

Lou71 has a reputation beyond reputeLou71 has a reputation beyond reputeLou71 has a reputation beyond reputeLou71 has a reputation beyond reputeLou71 has a reputation beyond reputeLou71 has a reputation beyond reputeLou71 has a reputation beyond reputeLou71 has a reputation beyond reputeLou71 has a reputation beyond reputeLou71 has a reputation beyond reputeLou71 has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks so much for posting the info on the new residency permits, it's very helpful.

My partner and I (we have an official civil partnership) have Portuguese residency as UK nationals BUT my Irish passport is due to arrive any day now after a very, very long wait and I was particularly interested in this paragraph:
I AM A NATIONAL OF THE UNITED KINGDOM MARRIED TO A PORTUGUESE NATIONAL BOTH LIVING IN PORTUGAL. DO I HAVE TO REPLACE THE RESIDENCE DOCUMENT?
British citizens living in Portugal who are also family members of EU citizens benefit both from the statuses. You may apply for the new residence document as a beneficiary of the Withdrawal Agreement, or for the residence document of a family member of a EU citizen. The Withdrawal Agreement ensures you the right of residence in Portugal only, however as a familiy member of a EU citizen you have the right of free movement and residence in all EU.
It sounds like my partner can benefit from my having an Irish passport and retain freedom of movement and we can amend our Portuguese residency to that of EU nationals.

Would be great if I am correct.

Old Dec 16th 2020, 10:29 am
BE Forum Addict

RichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lou71
... It sounds like my partner can benefit from my having an Irish passport and retain freedom of movement ...
I'm prepared to be corrected but I suspect that, as far as residency in Portugal is concerned, you would better served by preserving your rights as a Brit under the Withdrawal Agreement including pension uplifts etc. Your Irish passport would come into its own if/when you wish to relocate elsewhere in the EU or your (British passport backed) Portuguese residency lapses and you need to start again.
Old Dec 16th 2020, 11:29 am
Polished expat

Red Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BillBullock
Guess what? SEF entered the wrong DOB for my wife on their system and that is why we could not register with them online. It took a second call to their telephone helpline to discover their mistake. So now I have managed to register her with the wrong DOB and will correct that at a later stage.
If it makes her younger, she might not want it corrected.
Old Dec 16th 2020, 12:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

BillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond repute

Yes but it's gone the other way. She's one month older!
Old Dec 16th 2020, 4:39 pm
Forum Regular

yevlondon is an unknown quantity at this point

user registration error :/
i guess they recorded my date of birth wrong as well?
Old Dec 16th 2020, 4:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

BillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by yevlondon
user registration error :/
i guess they recorded my date of birth wrong as well?
Telephone them to find out.
Old Dec 16th 2020, 4:44 pm
Forum Regular

yevlondon is an unknown quantity at this point

apparently they did not like my password (maybe it was too long). i just tried again with a different one and it suddenly worked
go figure...
Old Dec 16th 2020, 6:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

Lou71 has a reputation beyond reputeLou71 has a reputation beyond reputeLou71 has a reputation beyond reputeLou71 has a reputation beyond reputeLou71 has a reputation beyond reputeLou71 has a reputation beyond reputeLou71 has a reputation beyond reputeLou71 has a reputation beyond reputeLou71 has a reputation beyond reputeLou71 has a reputation beyond reputeLou71 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by RichardHenshall
I'm prepared to be corrected but I suspect that, as far as residency in Portugal is concerned, you would better served by preserving your rights as a Brit under the Withdrawal Agreement including pension uplifts etc. Your Irish passport would come into its own if/when you wish to relocate elsewhere in the EU or your (British passport backed) Portuguese residency lapses and you need to start again.
Thanks, that's definitely worth checking out. The UK state pension is some way off for us but it's worth bearing in mind.
Old Dec 17th 2020, 11:23 am
BE Enthusiast

Rambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond repute

So I have done it - got my Certificate, and now await sometime in January to hear about an appointment with a Camara - apparently they have selected 38 Camaras in the whole country, so one can only hope it is not too far for our nearest ...
I came across this useful page of FAQs while pottering on the SEF site - answers a lot of questions which are currently being debated by members of the forum.
https://brexit.sef.pt/en/faqs/
Old Dec 18th 2020, 9:14 am
Forum Regular

Lentisc is an unknown quantity at this point

Just a quick one, will my wife will have to use a different email address to register? Also what have people entered in the authority part of the passport section.

Many thanks.
Old Dec 18th 2020, 12:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

Lentisc - Can't answer difinitively on the email address but I suspect it is probably necessary to have a different one as it is part of the log-in process. The Issuing Authority in the passport section is as marked on your passport, next to the issuing date? probably HMPO?
Old Dec 18th 2020, 9:24 pm
Forum Regular

Lentisc is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Rambling archer
Lentisc - Can't answer difinitively on the email address but I suspect it is probably necessary to have a different one as it is part of the log-in process. The Issuing Authority in the passport section is as marked on your passport, next to the issuing date? probably HMPO?
Thanks, have sorted a new email for my wife and reqistered her in the system. You are right, in Authority it states IPS on my passport I will try that out next week.
Old Dec 21st 2020, 1:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

wellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond repute

Interesting today, when i took all my details to the local camara to apply for residency.
firstly wanted proof of income!! I had copies of transactions from Portuguese bank for 3 months (every day), but I had removed the balances.
and secondly when she looked on PC it showed that I was a resident until 2010.
On that basis she said that she could not complete the request until they have spoken with SEF.
They would advise me of the situation by phone......now thats handy as I have an appointment with SS on 29th, to offer the S1 form.....but of course cant do that without residency docs
Old Dec 22nd 2020, 4:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

wellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond repute

Today having heard nothing from the Camara ref residency, I realised that I have an appointment with the Social Security tomorrow to offer my S1 form to them.
Following usual no reply by phone to the camara, I went over to ask if they heard from SEF.
Answer, no. It might take a day it might take 3 weeks to get a reply from SEF !!!
So why do you need to talk to them anyway, when SEF has already told me that despite having had an elapsed residency in 2010, that I need to apply at the Camara for a new residencia.
Answer........usual shrug of the shoulders, we cannot issue you a residencia.
So my question was then if you cant then presumably that can issue me with one?? Don't know was the reply.

So I told her that I would again visit the SEF and ask them what is going on and could they reply to the Camaras email to them.
SO a trip to SEF again. Usual queue of people just hanging around on the pavement of the office door, zero distancing. 50% masks, shambolic and freezing in the shade.
At 2pm the door opened and a woman came to the pavement with names she shouted out.....all Indian names so no one understood what she was shouting, more shambles.
Keeping my distance I was of course at the rear of the crowd, making it difficult to get heard (ie you have to shout across 5 deep people from the road).
Finally I get heard and seeing the same person I saw and asked 3 weeks ago, she reiterated that the camara would issue my residencia. Insisting that they would not, and that they had sent 2 emails requesting clarification from them (SEF) without reply, the woman disappeared saying she would ask her boss.of course after 10 more freezing minutes t was obvious that she had asked anyone. So then a different person comes to the door, again the crowd rush forward (only 50% with an appointment) to get her attention. All of them speaking some form of very limited English....they seemed to get answers.
Then again my turn, and my Portuguese is not so good that I could ask the relevant questions in Portuguese, so asked if we could speak in English.....answer Nao, sol Portuguese.
I tried to explain my predicament, and all i got in reply was you need to make an appointment............i asked what the appointment would be for as I am being told to go here and there, and my time is running out........with that she returned to the office and I came away none the wiser, as to why this is happening.

Anyone any suggestions as to what having been a resident over 10 years ago (that elapsed because I returned to live in the UK and did not renew it) would present them with a problem at this stage?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.