Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Portugal
Reload this Page >

Looking to move to Portugal for spring/summers

Looking to move to Portugal for spring/summers

Old May 10th 2016, 1:22 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Looking to move to Portugal for spring/summers

Originally Posted by macliam
Look, no offence, but I don't come onto Spanish ex-pat websites promoting Portugal. Most people here are well aware of Spain and have rejected it as a place to live, for a multitude of reasons, so you'll win no battles and gain no converts.

Portugal has never had the issues that Spain has had regarding property - and whether or not it is confined to particular regions is of little comfort to those who lost out. Enjoy your life there and we'll stay on the better side of the border.
None taken, but it's wrong to make people believe they will be safer buying in Portugal and how many people have lost out in Portugal (% compared to Spain)? It's fine to have opinions, but you also need facts. Just because 10 people hate foreigners, doesn't mean the foreigner is bad. I'm not bothered about borders, don't live in Spain permanently and wouldn't have a problem living in Portugal for a few months either. Who knows, might sell in Spain and buy in Portugal when I'm retired.
Old May 10th 2016, 1:29 pm
Forum Regular

AllanB has a reputation beyond reputeAllanB has a reputation beyond reputeAllanB has a reputation beyond reputeAllanB has a reputation beyond reputeAllanB has a reputation beyond reputeAllanB has a reputation beyond reputeAllanB has a reputation beyond reputeAllanB has a reputation beyond reputeAllanB has a reputation beyond reputeAllanB has a reputation beyond reputeAllanB has a reputation beyond repute

I don't think this is a prejudice issue, I have seen a dozen TV programs about Brits getting ripped off in Spain and how their lawyers cannot be trusted. I have seen none about Portugal or France. Indeed in France, as a buyer, you have some retrospective protection.
Old May 10th 2016, 2:23 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AllanB
I don't think this is a prejudice issue, I have seen a dozen TV programs about Brits getting ripped off in Spain and how their lawyers cannot be trusted. I have seen none about Portugal or France. Indeed in France, as a buyer, you have some retrospective protection.
Well of course you'll see more about Spain if more Brits live there. France is a different market and the people who buy there are very different to the people who buy in Spain & Portugal. The ones who are just focused on sun seem to forget everything else, so you'll probably find that more people get ripped off in Faro compared to the people buying in Barcelona
Old May 10th 2016, 2:36 pm
EMR
Banned

EMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Moses2013
Well of course you'll see more about Spain if more Brits live there. France is a different market and the people who buy there are very different to the people who buy in Spain & Portugal. The ones who are just focused on sun seem to forget everything else, so you'll probably find that more people get ripped off in Faro compared to the people buying in Barcelona
I am sure that you can support your last sentence.
Of course Portugal is not perfect, those who bought from the bankrupt Irish Oceanico group had to wait a long time to get there deposits back.
I know of a development where owners cannot access their apartments because they are leasehold and the development owner has gone bust so the creditors have shutdown the site.
There will also be criminals in all societies.
But nothing in Portugal compares to the Spanish property scandal. In fact many of the problems in Portugal can be traced back to Spanish developers as unfortunates in Albufeira and Cabanas can confirm.
Yes there are also Portuguese property companies that went bust.
Old May 10th 2016, 2:57 pm
Resident Cynic

macliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by EMR
Of course Portugal is not perfect, those who bought from the bankrupt Irish Oceanico group had to wait a long time to get there deposits back.
I know of a development where owners cannot access their apartments because they are leasehold and the development owner has gone bust so the creditors have shutdown the site.
But nothing in Portugal compares to the Spanish property scandal. In fact many of the problems in Portugal can be traced back to Spanish developers as unfortunates in Albufeira and Cabanas can confirm.
Criminality and scams apart, Portugal has a centralized legal system and registry, Spain does not. The issues in Valencia were down to local legislation, so they were not scams. Equally, the issue of debts pertaining to a property and not to a person is not as common in Portugal as it is in parts of Spain and "hidden" or unknown claims to ownership is also not such a factor when buying Portuguese property.

However, many of the well publicised issues in Spain were down to people not using lawyers to save a few quid - and nothing can prevent idiots from falling prey to conmen.
Old May 10th 2016, 3:04 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by EMR

I'm not trying to defend Spain, but the whole point is that you are not safer in Portugal and it really depends where you buy. Most of the problems were caused by developers in Valencia or AndalucĂ­a who just built on non urban land, but it's not like the whole of Spain is affected.
You say "But nothing in Portugal compares to the Spanish property scandal" Well, you only have over 10 million people in Portugal.

I don't prefer any of these countries and it's not a contest. In both places you have people, streets & houses. The point is that you can buy a house in Portugal and can have legal issues. If you don't trust Spanish people in Spain, then use a good trusted lawyer based in the UK who knows the Spanish law. It's the same in Portugal

The same could happen in the UK if you buy a house that never had planning permission. If uncertain, go to the council, police etc. and do as much research as possible.
Old Jun 6th 2016, 12:00 pm
Forum Regular

AllanB has a reputation beyond reputeAllanB has a reputation beyond reputeAllanB has a reputation beyond reputeAllanB has a reputation beyond reputeAllanB has a reputation beyond reputeAllanB has a reputation beyond reputeAllanB has a reputation beyond reputeAllanB has a reputation beyond reputeAllanB has a reputation beyond reputeAllanB has a reputation beyond reputeAllanB has a reputation beyond repute

Well we think we have found a place in Tabua, which looks like a nice town and good access roads. Comments welcome...

Been here quite a while now and found nothing in the way of furniture shops apart from Ikea, so where are they all. I am told Coimbra has a few but that place is impossible to navigate.

I am not opposed to second hand but where to look?
Old Jul 21st 2016, 9:27 pm
Just Joined

Polster is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Allan, I'm a bit late to this thread, but did the place in Tabua work out for you? Otherwise we have a place near Seia you might be interested in.

Also, there's a second hand place for furniture near Oliveira do Hospital called De Klump but you've probably found it by now..
Old Jul 22nd 2016, 10:38 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Polster
Hi Allan, I'm a bit late to this thread, but did the place in Tabua work out for you? Otherwise we have a place near Seia you might be interested in.

Also, there's a second hand place for furniture near Oliveira do Hospital called De Klump but you've probably found it by now..
Yes mate we have just arrived back in Thailand having done pretty much everything, including getting the power on, the agent we used seemed pretty good with all the right contacts. We have left the builder to get on with it now and he is keeping us updated with photos, SFSG, with progress payments as and when each stage is completed.

We be interested to see the furniture place when we return early next year