Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Portugal
Reload this Page >

Looking to move to Portugal for spring/summers

Looking to move to Portugal for spring/summers

Old May 9th 2016, 3:30 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Looking to move to Portugal for spring/summers

Originally Posted by AllanB
Yes, I did expect lower prices, I think both France and Spain are cheaper by comparison. Spain is out just from a "trust" point of view, so we may look at France again.

That is disappointing since I am quite taken by the Portuguese, but I don't have 5 years of looking in me.

The other possibility is renting April to June and then again September.

I have to agree with you that Portugal seems way overpriced. Regarding trust, I wouldn't say that Spain is worse than parts of Portugal. Catalonia seems to be more organised and at least it's more affordable for urbanised land near the coast. I suppose developers just want to try their luck and unfortunately many British fall for it. In that case, most of Spain & Portugal are the same.
Old May 9th 2016, 4:07 pm
Forum Regular

AllanB has a reputation beyond reputeAllanB has a reputation beyond reputeAllanB has a reputation beyond reputeAllanB has a reputation beyond reputeAllanB has a reputation beyond reputeAllanB has a reputation beyond reputeAllanB has a reputation beyond reputeAllanB has a reputation beyond reputeAllanB has a reputation beyond reputeAllanB has a reputation beyond reputeAllanB has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Moses2013
I have to agree with you that Portugal seems way overpriced. Regarding trust, I wouldn't say that Spain is worse than parts of Portugal. Catalonia seems to be more organised and at least it's more affordable for urbanised land near the coast. I suppose developers just want to try their luck and unfortunately many British fall for it. In that case, most of Spain & Portugal are the same.
The issue of trust relates to the country's legal system where lawyers can run off with your money and that local councils can give your land to someone else and you no longer own your property.

Portugal and France have systems where these things cannot occur, the UK too.
Old May 9th 2016, 4:31 pm
Forum Regular

AllanB has a reputation beyond reputeAllanB has a reputation beyond reputeAllanB has a reputation beyond reputeAllanB has a reputation beyond reputeAllanB has a reputation beyond reputeAllanB has a reputation beyond reputeAllanB has a reputation beyond reputeAllanB has a reputation beyond reputeAllanB has a reputation beyond reputeAllanB has a reputation beyond reputeAllanB has a reputation beyond repute

The area of Beiras seems to be quite competitively priced any idea why.

Does anyone live around the City of Coimbra, pros and cons?
Old May 9th 2016, 4:42 pm
Resident Cynic

macliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond repute

The area of Beiras seems to be quite competitively priced any idea why.

Does anyone live around the City of Coimbra, pros and cons?
"competitively priced" - cheap? Cheap is usually for a reason.......

Go look.
Old May 9th 2016, 5:32 pm
EMR
Banned

EMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond repute

Properties are only over priced if no one is buying them, that is not the case in much if the Algarve.
As we see almost daily particularly with some brits they have an unrealistic idea of what they can get for their money.
100,000 sterling will not buy you a villa a with a pool etc but some arrive expecting that it will.
Others have no understanding of the complexity surrounding PT mortgages ,thecdifference between bank value and sales prices.
Old May 9th 2016, 6:46 pm
Resident Cynic

macliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond repute

I'd say you are wrong. The Spanish property market is far, far, worse than Portugal regarding consumer protection, etc. - which is why it took a massive nosedive from which it has yet to recover. However, anyone buying without the necessary knowledge is ripe for the plucking - and plenty of Brits got plucked in Spain.
Old May 9th 2016, 6:52 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by EMR
Properties are only over priced if no one is buying them, that is not the case in much if the Algarve.
As we see almost daily particularly with some brits they have an unrealistic idea of what they can get for their money.
100,000 sterling will not buy you a villa a with a pool etc but some arrive expecting that it will.
Others have no understanding of the complexity surrounding PT mortgages ,thecdifference between bank value and sales prices.
Don't want a swimming pool, I have one in Thailand, but 100,000 will not buy a villa of any kind in the Algarve.

We have readies so don't need a mortgage and I am too old to bother or indeed qualify.

Coimbra has some decent prices but seems very wet compared with say Lisbon and I guess that is why the area is cheaper. So better buy a raincoat if we are going to live there.
Old May 9th 2016, 8:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

ouriquejan has a reputation beyond reputeouriquejan has a reputation beyond reputeouriquejan has a reputation beyond reputeouriquejan has a reputation beyond reputeouriquejan has a reputation beyond reputeouriquejan has a reputation beyond reputeouriquejan has a reputation beyond reputeouriquejan has a reputation beyond reputeouriquejan has a reputation beyond reputeouriquejan has a reputation beyond reputeouriquejan has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry you're find it hard to find what you want Allan.

We also spent a long time, looking,right area, right house and then bought on gut feeling.

The weather is a bit pants this year, but whoever said Portugal is a hot dry country really should spend a couple of years here

We love where we are, now, although we loved where we were too.

Keep an open mind and keep looking around - you'll find it, somewhere
Old May 9th 2016, 8:17 pm
EMR
Banned

EMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond repute

Don't want a swimming pool, I have one in Thailand, but 100,000 will not buy a villa of any kind in the Algarve.

We have readies so don't need a mortgage and I am too old to bother or indeed qualify.

Coimbra has some decent prices but seems very wet compared with say Lisbon and I guess that is why the area is cheaper. So better buy a raincoat if we are going to live there.
Why did you think that a 100,000 would buy you anything close to what you want in the Algarve.
What search engines did you use ?
Old May 9th 2016, 9:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

liveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond repute

Don't sign any contracts until after the Brexit vote.
If the UK decides to quit Europe, we're all sunk.
Best buy property after that happens, it will all be 1/2 price in the "New Escudos".
Old May 9th 2016, 10:04 pm
EMR
Banned

Originally Posted by liveaboard
Don't sign any contracts until after the Brexit vote.
If the UK decides to quit Europe, we're all sunk.
Best buy property after that happens, it will all be 1/2 price in the "New Escudos".
It will be the UK that goes into meltdown , buy now while your sterling is worth something albeit 10% less than before the brexit debate started.
Forcasts for sterling if we brexit up to 20% fall against the Euro.
Brexit is already putting off UK buyers waiting for a yes vote and the rise in sterling that will follow.

Last edited by EMR; May 9th 2016 at 10:07 pm.
Old May 9th 2016, 10:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

gedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to behold

Consider heading north!
Old May 9th 2016, 10:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

liveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond repute

Sterling will fall but the Euro will fall more, and Europe will surely break up within a decade if the UK pulls out.
Then property prices here will fall back to 1980 levels.

Not to mention the really bad things that might happen.
No one knows.

I predict that in the long run Portugal will be better off with their own currency that isn't controlled by a country with an opposite economic situation.
But it would take a long time for Portugal to recover from the total economic disaster that would occur.
Old May 9th 2016, 11:11 pm
Forum Regular

The UK won't leave Europe, the big scare guns are already out and they will be firing loud and strong right up until the vote. They did the same with the Scotland vote and this one is far bigger than that.

If by some miracle Britain did exit, Greece would surely follow, probably followed by Portugal and a few weaker economies. Then the UK would be free to run the Chinese banking system.

But I agree we should wait for the vote just in case and the £ will rise.

By the way I never expected a villa in the Algarve for 100k, someone else suggest that as a possibility.
Old May 10th 2016, 5:22 am
BE Forum Addict

mfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond repute

Quite honestly I fail to see how anyone can claim Portugal property prices are expensive.

We all have to cut our cloth etc but as an example, there's a 2 bedroom place for sale close to me that detached, edge of village, ready to move into with enough space for a garage and a veggie patch for something in the region of €45k

Price comparison here: Price per Square Meter Europe | European Cost per Square Meter

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.