Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Portugal
Reload this Page >

Looking to move to Portugal for spring/summers

Looking to move to Portugal for spring/summers

Old Apr 25th 2016, 11:05 am
BE Enthusiast

MrBife is just really niceMrBife is just really niceMrBife is just really niceMrBife is just really niceMrBife is just really niceMrBife is just really niceMrBife is just really niceMrBife is just really niceMrBife is just really niceMrBife is just really nice
Default Re: Looking to move to Portugal for spring/summers

Originally Posted by liveaboard
For year-round climate, get within 5 km of the coast; this is still quite affordable on the west coast between Sagres and Odeceixe on the western Algarve, and north to Sines.
Not many people; much of the area is very sparsely populated.

That can be good, and it can be bad.
There's an Atlantic wind which I like a lot, but some might find annoying. Very low pollen levels.

In the Central Algarve that is probably 10km to 15kms - just enough distance from the busy 'coastal strip' but within easy reach of it if the fancy takes you and within view of it if you choose the right location. Many properties have a view of 20kms + of coast and out to sea even from that far back.
Old Apr 26th 2016, 5:27 pm
Forum Regular

AllanB has a reputation beyond reputeAllanB has a reputation beyond reputeAllanB has a reputation beyond reputeAllanB has a reputation beyond reputeAllanB has a reputation beyond reputeAllanB has a reputation beyond reputeAllanB has a reputation beyond reputeAllanB has a reputation beyond reputeAllanB has a reputation beyond reputeAllanB has a reputation beyond reputeAllanB has a reputation beyond repute

We have just arrived in Castelo Branco, no reason, just a place to start, will head for the Atlantic coast tomorrow.

This is a daunting talk, knowing where to start, using Macdonalds Wifi as none at the campsite.

Anyone know of places for sale, had a drive around a couple of villages looking for places for sale found zilch. Looking for something around 40kE.......

Any suggestions appreciated....
Old Apr 26th 2016, 5:38 pm
BE Enthusiast

MrBife is just really niceMrBife is just really niceMrBife is just really niceMrBife is just really niceMrBife is just really niceMrBife is just really niceMrBife is just really niceMrBife is just really niceMrBife is just really niceMrBife is just really nice

Originally Posted by AllanB
Looking for something around 40kE.......
I fear you may be 25 years too late. But good luck with that one !
Old Apr 26th 2016, 8:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

mfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond repute

We have just arrived in Castelo Branco, no reason, just a place to start, will head for the Atlantic coast tomorrow.

This is a daunting talk, knowing where to start, using Macdonalds Wifi as none at the campsite.

Anyone know of places for sale, had a drive around a couple of villages looking for places for sale found zilch. Looking for something around 40kE.......

Any suggestions appreciated....
Actually, yes. It's only 2 bedroom and small garden but pretty much ready to move into & in the Figueiro Dos Vinhos area.

PM me if you want to see it.
Old Apr 28th 2016, 9:40 pm
Forum Regular

AllanB has a reputation beyond reputeAllanB has a reputation beyond reputeAllanB has a reputation beyond reputeAllanB has a reputation beyond reputeAllanB has a reputation beyond reputeAllanB has a reputation beyond reputeAllanB has a reputation beyond reputeAllanB has a reputation beyond reputeAllanB has a reputation beyond reputeAllanB has a reputation beyond reputeAllanB has a reputation beyond repute

Having looked down the coast sleeping overnight in Mira, we have eliminated seaside ares, as I can invisage the nightmare of the holday traffic on the roads. so we are now down as far as Torres Novos, looked at place (30k Euro) that needs work, ok but the village wasn't our cup of tea.

The agent showed us his own barn conversion he had spend 25K on, small place but beautiful......Converting seems like a good option if we can find a ruin somewhere nice.

Looking at one tomorrow, but this are looks nice ....
Old Apr 29th 2016, 12:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

liveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond repute

Really very little traffic along the west coast, even in peak season; there are sometimes small bottlenecks in the towns [Aljezur for instance], but we're talking 5 minute delay.

But at those prices, get what you can!
Old Apr 30th 2016, 8:35 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by CAROL ELIZABETH
Eastern Algarve definitely the best. Affordable, good weather - few winds, lower cost of living, good mix of expats from all walks of life. 100000 euros will still buy you a decent apartment, but villas and town houses come dearer.
We are currently sitting in our campervan on a campsite close to Tiava and yes Carol, lovely weather.

We were on the same site at around the same time a year ago and the weather was good too, people here seem friendly, will take a look in the hills tomorrow.

How long have you lived here and are you in a town or a country location?
Old May 9th 2016, 9:53 am
Forum Regular

Been here a couple of weeks now looking and it is all quite depressing and I don't mean the weather, which happens I guess.

From what we have seen prices are ridiculous, a one bed apartment in the Algarve is 100,000+ and they are all empty and as for the ruins at the other end they are just not at all viable and there are thousands of them. I can only assume the owners are waiting for the boom to arrive?

We are staying in a particularly grotty apartment which was booked online, won't do that again anyway will keep looking.

Thinking in terms of a small bungalow, but haven't seen anything yet, anywhere....oh and hope the weather breaks soon.
Old May 9th 2016, 10:10 am
Resident Cynic

macliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond repute

Been here a couple of weeks now looking and it is all quite depressing and I don't mean the weather, which happens I guess.

From what we have seen prices are ridiculous, a one bed apartment in the Algarve is 100,000+ and they are all empty and as for the ruins at the other end they are just not at all viable and there are thousands of them. I can only assume the owners are waiting for the boom to arrive?

We are staying in a particularly grotty apartment which was booked online, won't do that again anyway will keep looking.

Thinking in terms of a small bungalow, but haven't seen anything yet, anywhere....oh and hope the weather breaks soon.
Given the prices asked in the UK, I think the term "ridiculous" is going a bit far!

I'm not quite sure what you were expecting - prices in Portugal (particularly the Algarve) have always been higher than in Spain - 25 years ago I could have bought a 3-bedroom villa with pool in the hills around Malaga for the price of a 1-bedroom flat in Lagos. There are cheaper properties, but without doubt, not ones you'd want to buy. As for "ruins", the inheritance law and multiple heirs makes that difficult as each wants a certain amount before they cash-in and there are virtually no costs to holding out - even then, the cost and hassle to arrange services, etc., can come as a shock. The logic of the market does not work in the same way here.

It took me over 5 years to find a property I liked - and even then I'm paying megabucks for CH, insulation and updating. Turnkey properties exist, but since everyone knows how hard it is to find the right thing, the prices are high ..... and if you don't buy them, the Russians or Chinese will!
Old May 9th 2016, 10:40 am
EMR
Banned

EMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond repute

If you want to live in a city such as Portimao ( small by UK stds ) you will find 2bed apartments in decent locations and size for well under E100.000.
That is the type of property the majority of the Portuguese live in.
They are less interested in sea view, expat bars etc etc.
They leave the type of apartments you have seen to foreigners on a budget.
You are not the first nor will be the last trying to find what you would like and failing.
Old May 9th 2016, 10:51 am
BE Forum Addict

liveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond repute

Go West.
Old May 9th 2016, 1:41 pm
Forum Regular

Yes, I did expect lower prices, I think both France and Spain are cheaper by comparison. Spain is out just from a "trust" point of view, so we may look at France again.

That is disappointing since I am quite taken by the Portuguese, but I don't have 5 years of looking in me.

The other possibility is renting April to June and then again September.
Old May 9th 2016, 1:56 pm
Resident Cynic

macliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, I did expect lower prices, I think both France and Spain are cheaper by comparison.
That was always the case - but again, the other man's grass..................
Old May 9th 2016, 2:24 pm
EMR
Banned

EMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, I did expect lower prices, I think both France and Spain are cheaper by comparison. Spain is out just from a "trust" point of view, so we may look at France again.

That is disappointing since I am quite taken by the Portuguese, but I don't have 5 years of looking in me.

The other possibility is renting April to June and then again September.
Why are the French flocking to Portugal to buy property TAX !!!
Old May 9th 2016, 2:53 pm
Resident Cynic

Originally Posted by EMR
Why are the French flocking to Portugal to buy property TAX !!!
Yes taxes, inheritance tax and fear of "trouble" ..... Northern Europeans have their eyes on the "peaceful South"

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.