Go Back  British Expats > Working Abroad > Working Abroad by Profession > Police
Reload this Page >

Police Officers who are planning to move out to Australia ?

Police Officers who are planning to move out to Australia ?

Old Jan 12th 2005, 12:25 pm
Just Joined

Nancy7872 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Police Officers who are planning to move out to Australia ?

Hi aeb78,

Strange goings on at SAPOL, I can't really help you on the part "has anyone else not heard". However I would say - if it is really what you want, To live in Australia, then I think you answered your own question, that you think you should go under your girlfriends skills as a Hairdresser.

You can always apply out there, we did it under a seperate visa, but it just so happened that this SAPOL chance came up so we thought it was a good opportunity to apply also. They said it doesn't matter if you have your own visa, and lets face it they are not helping where cost is concerned. Also the benefits are that if you got PR under your own route then you can live where you want - (job location dependant) Our agent warned us that the SIR Visa comes with some restrictions as it was designed to try and populate barron un-populated regions, so you could end up being told where to live - I think. Also if you don't like the job over there, you can leave before 2 years and not get deported!

So go for it, it seems there have been some errors with SAPOL along the way for some candidates which doesn't bode well, but if you really want to go then get form filling and be grateful your partner has the job on the list! My Husbands job skills dropped off the list 2 weeks after DIMIA accepted the application so we are counting our blessings!

Good luck.
Old Jan 12th 2005, 1:41 pm
Forum Regular

Rippo is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Nancy7872
Hi aeb78,

Strange goings on at SAPOL, I can't really help you on the part "has anyone else not heard". However I would say - if it is really what you want, To live in Australia, then I think you answered your own question, that you think you should go under your girlfriends skills as a Hairdresser.

You can always apply out there, we did it under a seperate visa, but it just so happened that this SAPOL chance came up so we thought it was a good opportunity to apply also. They said it doesn't matter if you have your own visa, and lets face it they are not helping where cost is concerned. Also the benefits are that if you got PR under your own route then you can live where you want - (job location dependant) Our agent warned us that the SIR Visa comes with some restrictions as it was designed to try and populate barron un-populated regions, so you could end up being told where to live - I think. Also if you don't like the job over there, you can leave before 2 years and not get deported!

So go for it, it seems there have been some errors with SAPOL along the way for some candidates which doesn't bode well, but if you really want to go then get form filling and be grateful your partner has the job on the list! My Husbands job skills dropped off the list 2 weeks after DIMIA accepted the application so we are counting our blessings!

Good luck.
Hi

I just wondered how you know that SAPOL are not paying any costs? As far as I am aware they have not disclosed what help they are going to the sucessful candidates.

to aeb78,

I would give Scott Oster a ring at Australia House regarding your application. My husband and his colleague both heard on 301204 via email from Scott. If you ring him and leave a message on his answer machine he normally gets back to you that day.

Also I would persevere with your SAPOL application, it will be a quick way of getting in to OZ, and after the initial contract has expired you should then have citizenship and will be free to move to pastures new. It's got to be a quick option, which will keep you on familiar ground as far as the job is concerned. Obviously there is no harm going for your wife's hairdressing visa at the same time.

All I can tell you is that when my dad applied for his spouse visa in 2003, even after 10 years of marriage to an Australian National it took 12 months for him to get his visa approved. Just go for what you can get now.

Good Luck
Old Jan 12th 2005, 2:01 pm
Forum Regular

Nancy is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Rippo,

The comment about the costs was just because all applicants still have to pay their VISA fees, med fees etc... They may well assist with Shipping/Flights but I can't see it.
When my sister went out, sponsored by a company which is effectively what this is, they paid for everything. I just can't see with the numbers of candidates required that it will be an "all in package". I hope I am wrong as it will help us out!

For aeb78 - make sure you don't get one visa cancelled out by the other. you can only have 1 at any time, and the last one is the valid one. Maybe do as Rippo says, it is well worth seeing what is going on with SAPOL, and yes it will be quicker, but at least you have a back up plan.

All the best
Nancy
Old Jan 12th 2005, 2:02 pm
Just Joined

kirand is an unknown quantity at this point

Read your comments about the costs that SAPOL were going to pay and thought that I would pass on what I heard at the testing day. (Again this is only from word of mouth and not quoted by SAPOL - who should have had a rep at Australia House!)

I heard that the only costs that will be covered are the flight tickets out for applicant and immediate family (No removal expenses!)

Also that they were looking for 300 recruits over 12mths with 60 in March and than 60 every couple of months after that - (that is what Scott Oster advised my on the testing day)
Old Jan 12th 2005, 2:11 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks.....interesting, flights would be better than nothing.
I think it might be worth peoples while doing a "Container Sharing" system.

We have a bit to take, too much for excess baggage though, maybe half a containers worth, we are all going to the same place so it might be wise for people who are near each other getting in contact and sharing the costs.
It is possible to do and as we are all going to the same place, it is just a case of finding storage the other end. If people don't have homes immediately.

Just a thought, as it can be expensive. But hey lets all get the "green light" first, my Husband always did said I was packed ready to go the day we lodged the Visas - he is not wrong!

Originally Posted by kirand
Read your comments about the costs that SAPOL were going to pay and thought that I would pass on what I heard at the testing day. (Again this is only from word of mouth and not quoted by SAPOL - who should have had a rep at Australia House!)

I heard that the only costs that will be covered are the flight tickets out for applicant and immediate family (No removal expenses!)

Also that they were looking for 300 recruits over 12mths with 60 in March and than 60 every couple of months after that - (that is what Scott Oster advised my on the testing day)
Old Jan 12th 2005, 2:35 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Nancy
Thanks.....interesting, flights would be better than nothing.
I think it might be worth peoples while doing a "Container Sharing" system.

We have a bit to take, too much for excess baggage though, maybe half a containers worth, we are all going to the same place so it might be wise for people who are near each other getting in contact and sharing the costs.
It is possible to do and as we are all going to the same place, it is just a case of finding storage the other end. If people don't have homes immediately.

Just a thought, as it can be expensive. But hey lets all get the "green light" first, my Husband always did said I was packed ready to go the day we lodged the Visas - he is not wrong!

I think that we should all get together and contact Scott Oster and get some answers to our questions. Perhaps we can consider a list to put to him...any ideas? It just seems that so many of us want questions answering, but we are too worried to "rock the boat", being very English and not asking!

So Let me know if you think it is a good idea to send an email with some questions, and secondly what questions do people want answering?

rippo aka Ann
Old Jan 12th 2005, 2:43 pm
GMC1

aeb78 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks Rippo!

Does anyone have the number for Scot Oster??? So that i can give him a call??

I have thought about entering Oz other ways, but i' like many others, policing is what i'm used to and what I enjoy, I'd like to carry on doing it in Oz.

Thanks
Old Jan 12th 2005, 2:48 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by aeb78
Thanks Rippo!

Does anyone have the number for Scot Oster??? So that i can give him a call??

I have thought about entering Oz other ways, but i' like many others, policing is what i'm used to and what I enjoy, I'd like to carry on doing it in Oz.

Thanks
Hi, I do have his number, but I'm at work and it's at home, will be able to forward it to you when home after 6pm

Old Jan 12th 2005, 2:49 pm
GMC1

Also, forgot to mention, I have a contact in S.A police who is a patrol sergeant.
Don't know him too well, so couldn't ask him to do any digging for me.
However, he does tell me that S.A police are asking for volunteers from the police over there, to become liason officers, to assist the british cops coming over.
A little bit of reassurance!
Old Jan 12th 2005, 2:50 pm
GMC1

Thumbs up Re: Police Officers who are planning to move out to Australia ?

Thanks rippo, that would be great!
Old Jan 12th 2005, 3:03 pm
Forum Regular

It has to be worth asking, the welcome day they are doing is a bit late really it should have been before so people could decide if it was for them or not and the conditions it is under.
These are some of the questions we had, I am happy to call but if you have similar enquires then no point us all calling. I will probably have a think of ALL my worries and Q's and call after the exam results.
He needs to Post something on the SAPOL website with any possible FAQ and Answers - he must have had heaps of calls already.
  • Exact Numbers required
  • Visa Conditions
  • Relocation Package?
  • If they are paying for just the applicants flight
  • If they pay for Partners/Childrens flights will they still pay if they don't fly out until later (after SAPOL School)
  • Is there time maybe a week off after SAPOL training to find a home
Old Jan 12th 2005, 3:05 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by aeb78
Thanks rippo, that would be great!
No Problems, will send you his telephone number when back.

Be great if you can see if your contact can help us out!
Old Jan 12th 2005, 3:13 pm
Forum Regular

Here is the number it is diverting to voicemail, however it is his voicemail.
0207 887 5154

Nancy
Old Jan 12th 2005, 3:30 pm
Just Joined

whizz is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Rippo
Hi

I just wondered how you know that SAPOL are not paying any costs? As far as I am aware they have not disclosed what help they are going to the sucessful candidates.

to aeb78,

I would give Scott Oster a ring at Australia House regarding your application. My husband and his colleague both heard on 301204 via email from Scott. If you ring him and leave a message on his answer machine he normally gets back to you that day.

Also I would persevere with your SAPOL application, it will be a quick way of getting in to OZ, and after the initial contract has expired you should then have citizenship and will be free to move to pastures new. It's got to be a quick option, which will keep you on familiar ground as far as the job is concerned. Obviously there is no harm going for your wife's hairdressing visa at the same time.

All I can tell you is that when my dad applied for his spouse visa in 2003, even after 10 years of marriage to an Australian National it took 12 months for him to get his visa approved. Just go for what you can get now.

Good Luck
Hi, rippo

If a list is being drawn up can they tell us that if an applicants vision is over 6/9 on the unaided snellen test will this affect the application? If it does then will they accept people who are willing to have laser treatment to rectify this problem?

Thanks
Old Jan 12th 2005, 4:26 pm
Just Joined

tksb is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Rippo
Hi Kevin,

Both me and my husband are UK police officers. He is the one applyingfor SAPOL, (one of us has to look after the kids!) had exam on Friday, and waiting like everyone else.
He has booked his exercise ECG for tomorrow, and is getting it done locally (in Swindon), it is costing £90.00.

If you don't mind the short train journey (1hr from Paddington) let me know and I can pass you the details. He did have to get refered by our GP.

Good luck
Rippo, I'm new to this, but have too applied for SAPOL. Could you possibly let me have details of where you got the exercise E.C.G. in Swindon. There at least three of us (out of the 7 that I know of from my force) that will require ECG if we've got through the aptitude tests. Despite looking have not found anywhere locally yet. (Bristol)

Spoke to Scott Oster today, he anticipates that they will have approximately 50% go through from the aptitude test stage, and said that approx 400 have sat the exam's.

He did say that your fitness test and interview should be held on the same day and you should know the result before you leave.

Trev.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.