Go Back  British Expats > Working Abroad > Working Abroad by Profession > Police
Reload this Page >

Police Officers who are planning to move out to Australia ?

Police Officers who are planning to move out to Australia ?

Old Jan 29th 2005, 4:43 pm
Don't ask.....

Renters is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Police Officers who are planning to move out to Australia ?

Originally Posted by yingyang1

This has turned into a shambles.
....This indicates that at some stage it was less than shambolic! My wife reckons it's just the way Australians do business, laid back and disorganised!! Good point from someone earlier ... they would need to allocate March to get it shifting, but I bet there were not too many people who turned this date down. I have been thinking, They have three weeks of interviews - 14 a day (was on Friday). To have filled everything up after the first 4 days..... 56'ish people (minus those that can't start in March) .... doesn't add up whatever way you look at it. I am still confident there will be more offers, I only hope they continue with the way they have been selecting people. That would mean the next offers would go to those 14 that were seen on Friday (that includes me ). What's the betting that they look a little more closely when they start picking through the rest of us.

Yeah, cynical, I know.....

K
Old Jan 29th 2005, 4:43 pm
bdh
Just Joined

bdh is an unknown quantity at this point

One of the guy's on Wednesday told the recruiter that his wife was having a baby late Feb/early March and wouldn't be able to go in March, the recruiter told him that there would be another intake in June. He signed an 'acceptance' letter with 'a date to be determined'. When I was interviewed I told them that I also couldn't make March and was told there would be another intake in late May/early June and signed an 'acceptance letter' marked 'a date to be determined'.

Bel
Old Jan 29th 2005, 4:48 pm
Just Joined

yingyang1 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by bdh
One of the guy's on Wednesday told the recruiter that his wife was having a baby late Feb/early March and wouldn't be able to go in March, the recruiter told him that there would be another intake in June. He signed an 'acceptance' letter with 'a date to be determined'. When I was interviewed I told them that I also couldn't make March and was told there would be another intake in late May/early June and signed an 'acceptance letter' marked 'a date to be determined'.

Bel
Could you let us know what the acceptance letter actually ties the applicant and sapol to, thanks
Old Jan 29th 2005, 4:49 pm
Just Joined

Chris Mason is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by claguey
Been thinking today (!) quite a few people have said that they are recruiting anything between 180 and 400, Scott said that 270 were throught to the interview stage, someone on the forum was told that EVERYONE who was successful in the interview stage would get a job.

I think that they have accepted the first 60 to fill the march intake, because if they waited for all the interviews to be done, there wouldn't be enough time to then sift through all the results, short list people, contact them and then make arrangements for visas etc.... that's my theory.

The rest of the people who are successful will be taken on throughout the year, hopefully May, June july Sept something like that.
Anyone agree or do you think I am clutching at straws?

I feel a bit sorry for Scott, he has been given a mammoth task and is stuck between a rock and a hard place.

GOOD luck everyone. (including me on the 4th of Feb)

Phil.
I agree it's a good theory and I hope that you are correct, they said that the comm is having a meeting next week (some confusion over the actual day) to sort out a future starting date. Hopefully this would not just be one but possibly 2 or 3, we are therefore getting worried for no reason......!however if they can't agree or run another date what then. If your down for the the 4th then there's still a good deal of people to see, that must mean they are anticipating future courses.
Good Luck for the 4th
Chris
Old Jan 29th 2005, 4:50 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Renters
....This indicates that at some stage it was less than shambolic! My wife reckons it's just the way Australians do business, laid back and disorganised!! Good point from someone earlier ... they would need to allocate March to get it shifting, but I bet there were not too many people who turned this date down. I have been thinking, They have three weeks of interviews - 14 a day (was on Friday). To have filled everything up after the first 4 days..... 56'ish people (minus those that can't start in March) .... doesn't add up whatever way you look at it. I am still confident there will be more offers, I only hope they continue with the way they have been selecting people. That would mean the next offers would go to those 14 that were seen on Friday (that includes me ). What's the betting that they look a little more closely when they start picking through the rest of us.

Yeah, cynical, I know.....

K

The interviews started on the 20th, so how many 'contracts' have they committed to?
Old Jan 29th 2005, 4:51 pm
Claguey

claguey is an unknown quantity at this point

Hmmm.
Doing a bit of researching and it seems to me that the people taken in the March intake are either Sergeants or Inspectors or DS or DI etc... or am I just being paranoid??? what about us lowly cod heads?
Old Jan 29th 2005, 4:54 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by claguey
Hmmm.
Doing a bit of researching and it seems to me that the people taken in the March intake are either Sergeants or Inspectors or DS or DI etc... or am I just being paranoid??? what about us lowly cod heads?
haven spoken to a few on different dates it seems that the intake depended on if you were there beforr friday 28th, rank/experience etc wasn't considered, first there got the prize
Old Jan 29th 2005, 5:00 pm
bdh
Just Joined

The 'acceptance' letter is headed 'Appointment to the South Australia Police' and states it is there pleasure to appoint me to SAPOL effective from a date to be determined subject to;
1. no change in my status
2. satisfactory completion of meds, visa etc.
3. a course being conducted for overseas applicants.

Followed by the terms and conditions of service. Roles and Reponsibilities.

It ends that this is an offer of employment with SAPOL and the letter constitutes a Letter of Appointment.

I am sure they wouldn't have got me to sign this if there wasn't any further courses and I was told May/June. The Chief has had a major emergency in SA what with the Bush Fires so I doubt this has been No. 1 on his priority list even though it is for us. I am sure in time he will get around to Recruiting and state what he wants and when he wants us. We are just the sort of officers they need and they won't be looking a gift horse in the mouth.

Bel.
Old Jan 29th 2005, 5:04 pm
Just Joined

Unhappy Re: Police Officers who are planning to move out to Australia ?

Originally Posted by bdh
The 'acceptance' letter is headed 'Appointment to the South Australia Police' and states it is there pleasure to appoint me to SAPOL effective from a date to be determined subject to;
1. no change in my status
2. satisfactory completion of meds, visa etc.
3. a course being conducted for overseas applicants.

Followed by the terms and conditions of service. Roles and Reponsibilities.

It ends that this is an offer of employment with SAPOL and the letter constitutes a Letter of Appointment.

I am sure they wouldn't have got me to sign this if there wasn't any further courses and I was told May/June. The Chief has had a major emergency in SA what with the Bush Fires so I doubt this has been No. 1 on his priority list even though it is for us. I am sure in time he will get around to Recruiting and state what he wants and when he wants us. We are just the sort of officers they need and they won't be looking a gift horse in the mouth.

Bel.

thanks for that

I think it makes the situation for the rest of us worse though.
If they were looking to fill dates in the future then why not give us all a letter.
Old Jan 29th 2005, 5:05 pm
Just Joined

bazza1 is an unknown quantity at this point

Cynical or what. but does no. 3 give them a get out clause in case there is no money in the pot and they cant take more.
Sorry for my cynisim but thats 19yrs for you.
Old Jan 29th 2005, 5:09 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by yingyang1
thanks for that

I think it makes the situation for the rest of us worse though.
If they were looking to fill dates in the future then why not give us all a letter.
Now that is cynical
Old Jan 29th 2005, 5:10 pm
Just Joined

The worst part of all of this is

FIRST COME FIRST SERVED

there is no equal opportunities in that, this is outrageous and how can they honestly tell the rest of this that this is acceptable and a way to treat applicants and their families.
Old Jan 29th 2005, 5:11 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by bazza
Cynical or what. but does no. 3 give them a get out clause in case there is no money in the pot and they cant take more.
Sorry for my cynisim but thats 19yrs for you.
I guess if the contract is binding then if they do not provide any further courses then they do not have to honour the offer of employment. But if that's the case and they have loads more to see why give one out in the first place.
Old Jan 29th 2005, 5:15 pm
Just Joined

I shouldn't have come on this thread, i think i feel worse than i did last night.
Old Jan 29th 2005, 5:16 pm
bdh
Just Joined

I did read this before signing and asked the same question regarding 'No.3' hence the response of may/june so I was happy to sign with this information.
This letter is needed as part of the visa package so it's got to indicate more courses in the future.

Bel

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.