Go Back  British Expats > Working Abroad > Working Abroad by Profession > Police
Reload this Page >

Police Officers who are planning to move out to Australia ?

Police Officers who are planning to move out to Australia ?

Old Jan 28th 2005, 6:18 pm
Don't ask.....

Renters is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Police Officers who are planning to move out to Australia ?

Originally Posted by aeb78
Kevin,
very interesting to read your comments.
Having waited two weeks for my results, I rang Scott Oster, to be told that my papers were in Adelaide being marked and would arrive soon.
So, i decided to ring Adelaide and was told "your results aren't being marked here, they're in London being marked"(this was last week)
I rang sapol on Monday and spoke to a guy called Jackson. This guy finds it difficult to speak, never mind make a decision. (he'd make an excellent Chief Super). I asked him my results and after 10 mins of mumbling and stuttering, he told me that i'd failed.
Being totally confused with what he had just said to me, I recalled australia house 30 minutes later and spoke to Scott Oster, as he appears to be the only person who is 'switched on' in the office.
Scott then tells me "congratulations, you've been successful" i then asked Scott several times was he sure and he told me that i was sure, as he had the results infront of him.
I explained to Scott what Jackson had told me earlier and his only explination was that he must have got my name mixed up with someone elses!
How proffessional!
Anyway, having had the interest in S.A police kicked out of me, since sitting the entrance exam, i'm off to London on Tuesday for the 4th Feb for the interview/fitness.
However, i'm now having serious second thoughts about this. They have been very disorganised and not very informative.
Why, trail you all the way to London to tell you that they're not going to offer you a job.
This is more than just a recruitment process, it is a numbers game and i find it very,very disturbing.
Should i be offered a job with sapol, i would be very concerned now, about their organisation over in OZ. If they cant send an email or get a test result correct, then how the hell are they going to organise postings, welfare issues and assist 120 cops settle into a foreign country and new job.
To go to Oz under the arm of Sapol is a serious risk, unless you can do it via p.r. I think p.r is the way i'm going!
Anyway, i hope the people who have got in and decide to go are successful, but if i was you, i'd do some serious research into Sapol the circus.
I See what you're saying and my eyes are wide open. I think you're right, a serious judgement call may well be needed. I don't think I'm alone though when I say that I am willing to put up with a lot if I can go to Australia.....

We all have our own reasons

Good luck for next Friday.

K
Old Jan 28th 2005, 6:24 pm
Don't ask.....

Originally Posted by neil549
I don't know what else anyone can say. I know at the beggining people were writing posts saying 'well you didn't have to apply'. Well no we didn't, but if I pass, or what qualified yesterday as a pass(!), I need to know whether to put my house on the market or not!! That is the least of my worries, as I was really looking forward to resigning!!!
Anyway, enjoy the beer, and Paula, I have to say you sound far too cheery after receiving the news you got today!! Good luck
You're right, she's far to cheery, obviously very young in service and not tainted with cynicism. I like her style though. I did my best too and whatever will be will be (stop singing!). Still pissed off though!

<----- finished this one too!
Old Jan 28th 2005, 6:32 pm
Forum Regular

neil549 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Renters
You're right, she's far to cheery, obviously very young in service and not tainted with cynicism. I like her style though. I did my best too and whatever will be will be (stop singing!). Still pissed off though!

I am going to London on Tuesday with my other half, as she is going through the process too. Maybe if I make her wear a short skirt in the interview???!!!
I do remember seeing a post on here a week or two ago, when someone missed the cut off date, but told Scott he was honeymooning in SA in September. He was told to attend the recruitment centre in Adelaide with paperwork to have a two day testing. Why would they say that if they weren't taking loads??? I have a feeling their financial year ends in May too, so they may have to see whats left in the pot!!
Oh well, sod the evening run tonight, I'm having a beer!!!
Old Jan 28th 2005, 6:33 pm
Forum Regular

fg02 is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Re: Police Officers who are planning to move out to Australia ?

I aint young in service really got 11 years in regular service plus 3 yrs police cadets. I want to be pissed off...but im glad its over now...thats all.... cant do anything else about it...if i went for the interview/physical a few days ago then things may have been different... if we were told that it was a first come first serve basis then everyone would have been camping at the doors...but again we weren't told that....good luck to all that have been given dates....lucky barstewards...
Paula
Old Jan 28th 2005, 6:48 pm
Don't ask.....

Neil: Good decision. It's cold out there.

Paula: Your right, 11 years is highly respectable (still a pup though!). Personally, I would have left the "3 years police cadet" bit out

Another beer is called for as I spilt half the last one down my leg and my little girl thinks I pissed myself. If she hangs around, she may well be right!!!!!!
Old Jan 28th 2005, 6:49 pm
Forum Regular

Been thinking how to word this, so anyone who has passed and got the March start date please don't take offence, as it is not meant to offend anyone at all.
If SAPOL knew they were only taking 60 people, I don't think they would have accepted the first 60 that they saw, as how do they know they are getting the best 60 that passed the exam?
Again, no offence meant to anyone, and I apologise if it does come across that way, just thinking aloud more than anything!

Neil
Old Jan 28th 2005, 6:51 pm
Forum Regular

Neil: Good decision. It's cold out there.

Paula: Your right, 11 years is highly respectable (still a pup though!). Personally, I would have left the "3 years police cadet" bit out

Another beer is called for as I spilt half the last one down my leg and my little girl thinks I pissed myself. If she hangs around, she may well be right!!!!!!
You must have alot of service then, and be at that age where your daughter sees you piss yourself quite often!! I quite understand that when you get to a certain age some control does go, but.............
Old Jan 28th 2005, 6:55 pm
Just Joined

bazza1 is an unknown quantity at this point

Interesting posts. Iam meant to be going on Thursday to do physical etc. ECG booked for Tuesday at a cost of £200, what with £90 rail fare, accomodation it all adds up, is it still worth it to be told we may have a job for you.
Like to ask all have you thought of finances, starting salary £15000 I know it rises but Iam on £33000 (top PC with Housing etc).
My wife also earns £30000 (private sector) and she having big doubts about living costs, anyone reasearched these?
We are in fortunate postion of being mortgage free in UK and will have large amount to take, and be mortgage free out there but she still doubting. Iam trying my best to reassure her and tell her she will easily find work. reading last postings about professionalism of SAPOL etc making her worse.
I am still up for it but I can see how people do get disheartend. Are they not just our own managers and lets us stew and say nothing unless they have too. After all we are all just Pc's to SAPOL.(junior ones at that).
Anyway, just to give an examole of living costs, Used Ford Focus 2/3yrs old in Adelaide advertised 16900$aus that 1900$aus more than starting salary.
Any one else got any figures for essentials like Furniture, Electricals etc.
Saying al that, iam set to go like all said previous, dont have to apply.
Just got to turn her now, seems to be getting further swayed to not going.
Interested to hear your concerns if any one has any.
Barry.
Old Jan 28th 2005, 7:02 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by bazza
Interesting posts. Iam meant to be going on Thursday to do physical etc. ECG booked for Tuesday at a cost of £200, what with £90 rail fare, accomodation it all adds up, is it still worth it to be told we may have a job for you.
Like to ask all have you thought of finances, starting salary £15000 I know it rises but Iam on £33000 (top PC with Housing etc).
My wife also earns £30000 (private sector) and she having big doubts about living costs, anyone reasearched these?
We are in fortunate postion of being mortgage free in UK and will have large amount to take, and be mortgage free out there but she still doubting. Iam trying my best to reassure her and tell her she will easily find work. reading last postings about professionalism of SAPOL etc making her worse.
I am still up for it but I can see how people do get disheartend. Are they not just our own managers and lets us stew and say nothing unless they have too. After all we are all just Pc's to SAPOL.(junior ones at that).
Anyway, just to give an examole of living costs, Used Ford Focus 2/3yrs old in Adelaide advertised 16900$aus that 1900$aus more than starting salary.
Any one else got any figures for essentials like Furniture, Electricals etc.
Saying al that, iam set to go like all said previous, dont have to apply.
Just got to turn her now, seems to be getting further swayed to not going.
Interested to hear your concerns if any one has any.
Barry.
Barry
Myself and my partner are both in the job and got through to the same stage. We are both very keen to get to Oz, and have been waiting ages for an Australian force to recruit from the UK. I only have 8 years service over here, and the other half similar, so we have a few years between us to offer them. However, if I am being honest we are not doing it for the job. The chance to get to Oz is a rare one for most police officers like us, who joined young and have few other skills away from the police. The main priority for us is to have a better life out of work, which Australia definitely offers.
Hope this helps, and goo dluck next week.

Neil
Old Jan 28th 2005, 7:07 pm
SFM
Just Joined

SFM is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by bazza
just to give an examole of living costs, Used Ford Focus 2/3yrs old in Adelaide advertised 16900$aus that 1900$aus more than starting salary.
Don't mean to be picky but are you not getting your $'s and £'s mixed up there, i.e. the car would cost about £7000 and if that's the case, less than half your starting salary.

The lack of real information from SAPOL is the problem, like most of the people here I would jump through hoops to get into Australia and that's exactly how it feels right now. I'm going on Wednesday and IF I get through I would be extremely unhappy if there was no job at the end of it, however there is nothing that can be done about it.
Old Jan 28th 2005, 7:09 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by SFM
Don't mean to be picky but are you not getting your $'s and £'s mixed up there, i.e. the car would cost about £7000 and if that's the case, less than half your starting salary.

The lack of real information from SAPOL is the problem, like most of the people here I would jump through hoops to get into Australia and that's exactly how it feels right now. I'm going on Wednesday and IF I get through I would be extremely unhappy if there was no job at the end of it, however there is nothing that can be done about it.
Well spotted.........! The starting salary is about $35,000 in training, so £ and $ mixed up!!
Old Jan 28th 2005, 7:10 pm
Forum Regular

ccuz is an unknown quantity at this point

Was there today

Obviously 'first come first served'

Even though I asked Scott this last week and he said it wasn't

GUTTED
Old Jan 28th 2005, 7:12 pm
Forum Regular

ccuz is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by SFM

We could all complain
Old Jan 28th 2005, 7:12 pm
Just Joined

bazza1 is an unknown quantity at this point

That was just a test to make sure you all read the postings right.
Once i hit the send realised I had put wrong amount in. Yes second hand car £7000ish (UK). still a lot for apparently lower living costs.
Old Jan 28th 2005, 7:13 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by ccuz
Was there today

Obviously 'first come first served'

Even though I asked Scott this last week and he said it wasn't

GUTTED
What were you told at the end, as there were obviously people who have been interviewed before today who couldn't do March, and were still hopeful of further courses in a few months?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.