Go Back  British Expats > Working Abroad > Working Abroad by Profession > Police
Reload this Page >

Police Officers who are planning to move out to Australia ?

Police Officers who are planning to move out to Australia ?

Old Feb 7th 2005, 11:10 am
Just Joined

Chris Mason is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Police Officers who are planning to move out to Australia ?

I agree that it probably scared every one away over the weekend, it wasn't good reading. But i agree with what's been said about the recruitment team still being here etc.
We've just all now got to hang on in there and await the infomation day. I for one am celebrating sucess at getting through regardless of when i start.
Congatulations to all those in the first 60.
On a very positive note....I rang Scott on Fri at about 17:30 to find out my result. He said that they were about to sit down and wotk out the 60 places, the rest would be placed in a pot and rolled out later this year but dates had not been confirmed. We will all receieve e-mails regarding this over the next few days. They would be contacting the lucky 60 on Fri and today (so you never know). He sounded positive in relation to all the applicants and not just the first 60.
So see you all Sat, staying over Fri and Sat night.
Chris
Old Feb 7th 2005, 12:42 pm
Forum Regular

neil549 is an unknown quantity at this point

Dear all

Didn't mean to scare everyone away with that post, it's just the only way of getting any info at the mo seems to be from Australian newspapers!!!
I am keeping positive about things, as yet haven't had that call about March, but we are keeping our fingers crossed.
I know from looking at various sites that even though they are having a bit recruitment campaign in SA, they are not lowering the standards, which to me gives us more of a chance, as at least we have all passed. (I think!!)
Anyway, hope to see more posts from peeps with comments, thoughts, or even to say they were one of the lucky ones that gat a phone call re:March.

Have a good day everyone, at least the sun is shining (well it is in Shepherd's Bush anyway!!)

Neil
Old Feb 7th 2005, 1:50 pm
Forum Regular

Nancy is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Rippo
Thanks for your positive reply,

I am sure you are right. It is just hard to see the wood for the trees at the moment. I am hoping we will know a little more on Saturday.

How are you coping sorting everything out? You must be really excited, so much to do and such little time!

Ann

Hi Ann,
My life has suddenly become MANIC!!

The only saving grace is that because I have been planning this since 2002 - I pretty much had info on everything. I am now just making all the calls. It is way too fast though, I am going to remain behind for a bit as I want to make sure it is all done properly. I have held his flight (just incase SAPOL offer assistance, Saturday) if not then thats that booked. I need to coordinate the shippers and Dog Export and renting our place out, So I think I'll go in May/June. I have to be there by September to Validate my Visa. I am aiming for May, it will be so hard without Hubbie here! But lots to keep me occupied.

Hang in there everyone......

Best Wishes
Nancy
Old Feb 7th 2005, 3:31 pm
Just Joined

wardy64 is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Re: Police Officers who are planning to move out to Australia ?

Hi everyone, just joined this site and cant believe the amount of people been left in limbo !!

It appears i am one of the lucky ones that was given a contract and signed up for March. However, thinking it was in the bag i went ahead and had my visa Medical ( another £150 as i had to an ECG test as well ) then got a phone call from Scott on Friday saying ha had "good news"

Oh yes says me (ever the synic) go on ? He then tells me i can now go ahead and apply for my visa Apparently all the paperwork from the interviews etc had to be sent to oz for the Regional Govnt to sanction!!

That was certainly news to me that one

If it is any concelation to anyone else, I am still not 100% sure i will be gone in March....... AND I HAVE PUT RESIGNATION PAPERS IN :scared:

I do hope Saturday will be the tonic everyone needs or

Alan
Old Feb 7th 2005, 3:37 pm
Forum Regular

Nancy is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by wardy64
Hi everyone, just joined this site and cant believe the amount of people been left in limbo !!

It appears i am one of the lucky ones that was given a contract and signed up for March. However, thinking it was in the bag i went ahead and had my visa Medical ( another £150 as i had to an ECG test as well ) then got a phone call from Scott on Friday saying ha had "good news"

Oh yes says me (ever the synic) go on ? He then tells me i can now go ahead and apply for my visa Apparently all the paperwork from the interviews etc had to be sent to oz for the Regional Govnt to sanction!!

That was certainly news to me that one

If it is any concelation to anyone else, I am still not 100% sure i will be gone in March....... AND I HAVE PUT RESIGNATION PAPERS IN :scared:

I do hope Saturday will be the tonic everyone needs.

Alan
Alan,

Don't panic! This is the norm.... they need to check them over as the scheme is being backed by SA Government, if you have been offered the job then you'll be awarded the points which will go towards your DIMIA points score (Age/English Language/Police Check/Med Results etc etc....)

You'll be fine, have some faith, and the sooner you do your DIMIA application the better as it will be this that will prevent people from Starting in March! No Visa - No JOB!
DIMIA have there work cut out for them - fast tracking 60 applicants!

All the best
Nancy
Old Feb 7th 2005, 6:16 pm
Forum Regular

fg02 is an unknown quantity at this point
Wink Re: Police Officers who are planning to move out to Australia ?

hello all.

Been reading these threads with interest. So much speculation and uncertainty...again. Hopefully the recruiting team will beable to enlighten us ALL on Saturday and we will ALL hear the same thing.

We are staying at the Premier Travel Lodge in Docklands on Friday and Saturday night...£110 for double plus hot buffet breakfast. Does anyone know of a suitable place to meet up for a few beers? would be nice to meet up beforehand.

Paula
Old Feb 7th 2005, 7:54 pm
Forum Regular

zoe100 will become famous soon enoughzoe100 will become famous soon enough
Exclamation Re: Police Officers who are planning to move out to Australia ?

hiya all

have to say me and lee have also been 'lying low' over the wekend regarding the article that was cut and posted on here! grim reading. lee has been pretty glum about the lack of info. i have been relatively upbeat - weird as it is normally the other way round with us - but i have to say that reading the article and trying to stay positive isnt working now and now we are both glum i know that it all makes sense that there will more than likely be at least one further intake, and all the reasons said by others on here regarding cost for sapol remaining here, hotel bills for their staff, previous indications that they want 300/200/120 people all make complete sense .... BUT ... !! it all just seems so difficult doesnt it! like i think ann said, you get all excited and tell people and think that (for me anyway) something i have wanted since i was 9 is - oh my god - coming true, and then the 'we are emigrating!' track you find yourself on seems to come to a complete halt, and try as you might, you cant seem to stop it from going backwards.....

i am flipping between feeling positive and then feeling negative, and im not sure how long i can sustain this! doing this is never gonna be easy, and i wouldnt expect it to be, but my goodness this is hard mentally!

lucky that we have all found this forum i reckon, or we might all be quivering blobs in a darkened room by now...

so, right now i am off for a bath (no vodka tonight..) and a book to take my mind off this. am going to try and think that i never believe half of what is reported in uk papers, so why would aussie journalists let half a story interfere with their piece???

ooh, whilst i remember, we are not sure whether to shell out for more train tickets and come over to london for saturday. we would like more info (ditto everyone!) before we book as we dont want to come over to find out we arent through, or still now know, but the longer we leave it the more it will cost of course. what are all the others doing in the same situation - lee was lucky, and was told he had passed and got given a contract with the 'date to be confirmed' bit on it, the same as ann's husband was... i know the rippos are london bound, what about all the others????

stay sane people...

zoe xx
Old Feb 7th 2005, 8:33 pm
Just Joined

Chris Mason is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by fg02
hello all.

Been reading these threads with interest. So much speculation and uncertainty...again. Hopefully the recruiting team will beable to enlighten us ALL on Saturday and we will ALL hear the same thing.

We are staying at the Premier Travel Lodge in Docklands on Friday and Saturday night...£110 for double plus hot buffet breakfast. Does anyone know of a suitable place to meet up for a few beers? would be nice to meet up beforehand.

Paula

Hi Paula/Zoe

Wife of Chris here, Cheryl (aka cpudds). Chris hasn't had a phone call about the March intake, so got to presumme we are not going in March..... However we are going ahead with our medicals this Friday and attending the Information day on Saturday. Staying at the Ibis Docklands (cheap and cheerful but clean).

Would be nice to meet up for a few drinks.

Trying to keep optimistic

Cheryl
Old Feb 7th 2005, 9:26 pm
Forum Regular

fg02 is an unknown quantity at this point
Cool Re: Police Officers who are planning to move out to Australia ?

We should have had our medicals tomorrow, but we decided to cancel/postpone them until we definately know one way or another....£500 is alot of money to lose should it be 'sorry but we have got what we want'.

Has everyone attending Saturday e-mailed back confirming their attendance? I wonder if they are just planning attendance figures or is there something more to it?...maybe that elusive? contract we are all so desperate to have??!!! ( spelling is shite ...sorry.)

Docklands seems a popular place to stay this weekend...do you know of any good pubs/places to meet?

Paula
Old Feb 7th 2005, 10:25 pm
servibabe

servibabe is an unknown quantity at this point

Howard and I went for our meds today, still looking on the bright side. By the sounds of things we are 2 of the lucky ones, only living within free train distance from London, no flights etc to pay for.

Whilst in London took the opportunity to pop into Oz House in the Strand. Scott was not there but one of the interviewers came and spoke to me, wont say who though as it wouldn't be fair, but this person said that they offered about 15 jobs out on Friday for the March course, and will evaluate things by Thursday, and the lasts places will be offered then, but this person said that there were still places. They still havn't been given any other dates and it was explained to me that they are in the dark as much as us. Regarding the Media well they are speculating and it was explained to us that the Commissioner does not talk to the press that much and does not believe that this has come from the horses mouth so to speak, so not too much to worry about there then.

When I heard we could hear Friday, I did think and say to people that that could mean the following Friday, and I have been proved right. Yet again we are kept in limbo and the carrot has been moved, but we cant blame the staff at the Strand as they know as much as us, and I believe that as soon as they know we will know, as if I was in their shoes I would be p***ed off with the phone calls and emails and people popping in on the off chance, that I would have to tell them what I knew.

Yes it is great to have this forum and it has undoubtedly helped a lot of us, as well as hindered or upset alot of us, but lets wait for Saturday and hopefully we can then go home and have a good sleep for the first time in a long time and possibly a good drink. I have a bottle of 12 year old Bunderberg rum waiting to be opened when we get the go ahead.

See you all there Saturday.

Hope this has put some minds at rest, and hope it hasn't confused anyone anymore.

Coral and Howard
Old Feb 8th 2005, 1:58 am
Don't ask.....

Renters is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by servibabe
Howard and I went for our meds today, still looking on the bright side. By the sounds of things we are 2 of the lucky ones, only living within free train distance from London, no flights etc to pay for.

Whilst in London took the opportunity to pop into Oz House in the Strand. Scott was not there but one of the interviewers came and spoke to me, wont say who though as it wouldn't be fair, but this person said that they offered about 15 jobs out on Friday for the March course, and will evaluate things by Thursday, and the lasts places will be offered then, but this person said that there were still places. They still havn't been given any other dates and it was explained to me that they are in the dark as much as us. Regarding the Media well they are speculating and it was explained to us that the Commissioner does not talk to the press that much and does not believe that this has come from the horses mouth so to speak, so not too much to worry about there then.

When I heard we could hear Friday, I did think and say to people that that could mean the following Friday, and I have been proved right. Yet again we are kept in limbo and the carrot has been moved, but we cant blame the staff at the Strand as they know as much as us, and I believe that as soon as they know we will know, as if I was in their shoes I would be p***ed off with the phone calls and emails and people popping in on the off chance, that I would have to tell them what I knew.

Yes it is great to have this forum and it has undoubtedly helped a lot of us, as well as hindered or upset alot of us, but lets wait for Saturday and hopefully we can then go home and have a good sleep for the first time in a long time and possibly a good drink. I have a bottle of 12 year old Bunderberg rum waiting to be opened when we get the go ahead.

See you all there Saturday.

Hope this has put some minds at rest, and hope it hasn't confused anyone anymore.

Coral and Howard
To back this up, I spoke to Peta in Scott's office yesterday, a very cheery and chatty young lady. She said that there would be no more phone calls until Friday of this week when they would be giving out more March places (no interviews Friday). I asked about the lack of time for immigration but that is taken care of and I don't think we need two months. In fact, I am going skiing on Saturday and she said there would be time if I wasn't able to submit the application until I got back! (although I don't know how the job would feel about it with only 5 mins notice ). I also asked about the article and she said that it might be valid IF they were able to fill the vacancies locally, but they can't. Wouldn't/couldn't say anything about any further course but was very positive and told me to "hang in there". Personally, still pessimistic for self-preservation reasons but as many other people have said, there MUST be a another course (mustn't there?)....

with a little bit of and not enough of

PS it's 2.57am and I'm off to work. I know, dry my eyes.....
Old Feb 8th 2005, 2:01 am
Don't ask.....

Originally Posted by Renters
I also asked about the article and she said that it might be valid IF they were able to fill the vacancies locally, but they can't.
... and the quote was from the Adelaide LSA Superintendent. Don't think he is a central decision maker for SAPOL recruitment policy and so may not know any more than us!!!
Old Feb 8th 2005, 2:22 am
Just Joined

JM&D is an unknown quantity at this point

More press coverage.........from The Courier.................

Racial row over report on UK police
By Greg Kelton
08feb05
A POLITICAL row has erupted over the recruitment of British police officers for South Australia with the Opposition being accused of "racial vilification".

Police Minister Kevin Foley launched a verbal attack on Liberal police spokesman Robert Brokenshire after he asked a question about a new report which casts doubt on the effectiveness of British police officers.

In a bid to speed up recruitment of 200 new officers for SA Police, officers are being recruited from Britain.

Mr Brokenshire asked whether the Government had considered a new report from an independent think-tank which said the US, France and Germany had all made a more effective job of combating crime than Britain.

He said the report contained severe criticism of British police.

Mr Foley told Parliament the question from Mr Brokenshire was "an absolute disgrace". "He has decided to go Brit-bashing," Mr Foley said.

"I don't think I have ever had a more offensive question put to me."

Mr Foley said it appeared the Opposition wanted to get into "some sort of racial vilification".

Mr Foley said there were immigrants from Britain working in the Parliament.

Mr Foley said Mr Brokenshire should apologise for his attack on the 60 British police officers who would take up positions with SA Police.

Mr Brokenshire later said outside Parliament Mr Foley had engaged in "bovver-boy tactics".

He said the comments indicated his embarrassment at failing to deliver extra police.

"Mr Foley's thuggery in Parliament is well known," Mr Brokenshire said.

"When he can't answer a question, or chooses not to because he and the Government are embarrassed, he resorts to personal abuse and deliberate misrepresentation."
Old Feb 8th 2005, 8:03 am
Forum Regular

neil549 is an unknown quantity at this point

Morning everyone

Just to back up what has been submitted recently, I called Oz house this morning before reading what had been posted here. I spoke to Brian (the SAPOL officer who was at the fitness testing) and he confirmed that the final phone calls for March intake would be either Thursday or Friday of this week. (Scott is currently off sick, probably stress!!) Again, he said they are in the dark about future courses, but keeping positive I think it is just a matter of time. As mentioned before, why are they recommending we spend money on medicals if we are going to lose that money??
Hang in there everyone, warm beaches here we come!! (As you can tell I had a good nights sleep!!)

Neil
Old Feb 8th 2005, 8:04 am
Don't ask.....

Originally Posted by JM&D
Mr Brokenshire later said outside Parliament Mr Foley had engaged in "bovver-boy tactics".
How quaint, haven't heard that used in a while. Takes me right back to school, fish tail parks, loafers with tassles and Slade when they were skinheads.....happy days.

PS It's now 9.00am and I'm back home from work and time for loads of !

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.