Go Back  British Expats > Working Abroad > Working Abroad by Profession > Police
Reload this Page >

Police Officers who are planning to move out to Australia ?

Police Officers who are planning to move out to Australia ?

Old Jan 24th 2005, 2:55 pm
Just Joined

Russ Chalmers is an unknown quantity at this point
Talking Re: Police Officers who are planning to move out to Australia ?

Hi all,
Well the waiting is finally over, Russ passed!!!!!!!!
Short brief for all attending, fitness test was ok, a shuttle run and few other things but he said not to bad but not a breeze.
Interview as they said is an informal chat, a few q's about experiences whilst in and out of the police, asking what you know about australia, what you know about south australia and sapol.
Offered employment there and then for March, if you cant take March then they say they will be back in touch, they didn't give any alternative dates out.
If you accept March, you are given contract to sign and advised to try and be there a week before to settle in.
Accommodation is available 7 days a week on camp and after your first week in Oz you are advised where you will be stationed, but it can be anywhere in SA.
Also advised that immigration can still refuse but unlikely, but this was explained in the information months ago.

So there we go, good luck to all and any that accept March look forward to meeting you on 11th Feb.

YIPEEEEEEEEEE Kathy
Old Jan 24th 2005, 5:20 pm
Forum Regular

Rippo is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Police Officers who are planning to move out to Australia ?

KATHY,

fantastic news...well done!

I guess you accepted the March date....

Do you know if any others passed today?

Fingers crossed for everyone else still waiting.

Ann
Old Jan 24th 2005, 5:43 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Rippo
KATHY,

fantastic news...well done!

I guess you accepted the March date....

Do you know if any others passed today?

Fingers crossed for everyone else still waiting.

Ann
Ann,

Thanks, yes going for March, but I will follow middle of June after training, Russ said the others that he saw passed also, but one cant make March and thats how he knew they weren't giving any other dates out yet, as this guy was told they would be back in touch.

Good luck everyone again.

Kathy
Old Jan 24th 2005, 5:50 pm
Forum Regular

Kathy,

Did they talk about wages or any sort of financial help? Or is that all going to be discussed on 11th?

I am concerned at Rich having to sign a contract without knowing the full details.

Approx how many did the fitness test?

Sorry all these questions...I guess just desperate for info!

Ann
Old Jan 24th 2005, 6:03 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Rippo
Kathy,

Did they talk about wages or any sort of financial help? Or is that all going to be discussed on 11th?

I am concerned at Rich having to sign a contract without knowing the full details.

Approx how many did the fitness test?

Sorry all these questions...I guess just desperate for info!

Ann
Ann,

They discussed wages but I was on such a high I cant remember how much, I know its less than what Russ was on here but it goes up after the 12 weeks.
There is no financial help as far as Russ is aware, unless they change minds on 11th but it was a no today.
Not sure on how many at fitness but russ said quite a few.
No probs re the questions if I can answer I will.
Kathy
Old Jan 24th 2005, 6:15 pm
Forum Regular

fg02 is an unknown quantity at this point
Cool Re: Police Officers who are planning to move out to Australia ?

good evening...

Well done to Russ. Got mine on 28th...bit anxious about it. i have shown my hubby the previous thread about lodgings at training school. that sounds fine for me but what about my family. fare enough i could try and arrange rental places beforehand but what if i get there and they tell me i was going to be stationed 200 miles away and i was tied to a rental property. Could do with knowing roughly what area we were going to be stationed so we could plan. the thought of leaving my family for three months worries me..my hubby would not cope with arranging everything and sorting the kids aswel.
Old Jan 24th 2005, 6:21 pm
Forum Regular

neil549 is an unknown quantity at this point
Thumbs up Re: Police Officers who are planning to move out to Australia ?

Originally Posted by Russ Chalmers
Ann,

They discussed wages but I was on such a high I cant remember how much, I know its less than what Russ was on here but it goes up after the 12 weeks.
There is no financial help as far as Russ is aware, unless they change minds on 11th but it was a no today.
Not sure on how many at fitness but russ said quite a few.
No probs re the questions if I can answer I will.
Kathy
Hey everyone
Just found this site, so had an hour of interesting reading, going through all the posts that have been entered! Myself and my other half have both applied, and are both doing the physical testing and interviews on 1st Feb. Good luck to everyone that still has to do their day, and congrats to everyone that has got through. Regarding the last comment about pay, it is on the SAPOl website, on the recruiting pages. From memory I think it is $35,000 whilst training and just over $40,000 when finished the 12 weeks.

One question I do have for anyone that has completed their physical/interiew day is do they provide you with changing and showering facilities??!! I did raise my eyebrows when i saw the comment before about having no facilities. Where do the England players shower and change when they play test matches??!
Anyway, good luck to people, and will try and submit some more posts now registered!

Neil
Old Jan 24th 2005, 6:24 pm
bdh
Just Joined

bdh is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by fg02
good evening...

Well done to Russ. Got mine on 28th...bit anxious about it. i have shown my hubby the previous thread about lodgings at training school. that sounds fine for me but what about my family. fare enough i could try and arrange rental places beforehand but what if i get there and they tell me i was going to be stationed 200 miles away and i was tied to a rental property. Could do with knowing roughly what area we were going to be stationed so we could plan. the thought of leaving my family for three months worries me..my hubby would not cope with arranging everything and sorting the kids aswel.
I am in the same boat as you. Got mine on Wednesday, Australia Day, hope that's a good omen. My kids would live off kebabs/fish and chips and they would know every footballer in every league if I left them for 3 months with hubby. Have the same concerns as you..... doesn't feel right as a mother to be apart from the kids for so long either. I don't want to be told 'we'll be in touch' when you have had to go through so much if I can't confirm a start date in March.

Bel
Old Jan 24th 2005, 6:29 pm
HCK
Forum Regular

HCK is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Re: Police Officers who are planning to move out to Australia ?

[QUOTE=Russ Chalmers]Ann,

Congratulations to Russ!! Did anyone fail the fitness test? How long did it take to get from Lords Cricket Ground to Australia House and what transport did you use?

I've Got my fitness/interview on Friday and I am thinking of staying overnight close to the Cricket Ground, any recommendations??
Thanks John
Old Jan 24th 2005, 6:31 pm
SFM
Just Joined

SFM is an unknown quantity at this point

Just found the forum and it takes a fair bit of reading to catch up with this thread, although it does make good reading and there's a lot of good information here.

Anyway, I'm one of the Scottish applicants and had to phone up Australia House today to get the exam result. Fortunately it was a pass so now the problems start, especially in respect of the ECG (closer to 40 than 30). Anyone in the central Scotland area managed to get this sorted out and if so where did you go?

Well done those who have been accepted.
Old Jan 24th 2005, 6:33 pm
Forum Regular

Hi,

I agree with all of your replies. It is really hard to turn down a firm March start date only to be told "we'll be in touch". Based on everything so far I can imagine them not being in touch for months whilst we wonder what on earth is going on. Rich feels he would have to accept the March start date but our house isn't even on the market and I can't afford the mortgage, bills, childcare etc...on my own.

And surely they must have an idea where they will post the sucessful candidates. After all we need to sort out schools, a home and childcare!

I don't want to moan....but I don't want my home repossessed! and I need to plan!

Ann
Old Jan 24th 2005, 6:36 pm
Forum Regular

fg02 is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Re: Police Officers who are planning to move out to Australia ?

Originally Posted by bdh
I am in the same boat as you. Got mine on Wednesday, Australia Day, hope that's a good omen. My kids would live off kebabs/fish and chips and they would know every footballer in every league if I left them for 3 months with hubby. Have the same concerns as you..... doesn't feel right as a mother to be apart from the kids for so long either. I don't want to be told 'we'll be in touch' when you have had to go through so much if I can't confirm a start date in March.

Bel
thanks Bel,
Its nice talking to a woman in the same position as me. Where do we begin to try and arrange things? ...our whole lives. i would prefer to go in july or september...i think these are the other dates scott mentioned on exam day. ( at least if i pass the next stage of course ) at least this way i could cast my supervisory eye on what hubby was doing and make sure everything was packed how i wanted and not just chucked. There is so much going on in my head at the moment... what if ...what if...!! im going mad.
What does your husband do?
Old Jan 24th 2005, 6:40 pm
HCK
Forum Regular

HCK is an unknown quantity at this point

Has anyone found any definate information about transferring police pension from England as Scotland may be different?? John
Old Jan 24th 2005, 6:46 pm
bdh
Just Joined

bdh is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by fg02
thanks Bel,
Its nice talking to a woman in the same position as me. Where do we begin to try and arrange things? ...our whole lives. i would prefer to go in july or september...i think these are the other dates scott mentioned on exam day. ( at least if i pass the next stage of course ) at least this way i could cast my supervisory eye on what hubby was doing and make sure everything was packed how i wanted and not just chucked. There is so much going on in my head at the moment... what if ...what if...!! im going mad.
What does your husband do?
Other half is a Policeman sgt.....he has 25yrs in and will retire early. Big whack off the lump sum but weighing up the pro's and con's we will be better off. He has a business interest and spends most of his spare time doing other people's DIY so I expect he will try and set up his own 'changing rooms' Oz style company. Have two boys, 5 and 8. Staying at the Ramada nr Lords tomorrow night, will enjoy the use of the remote control and a big bed all to myself if nothing else.

Wish me luck for Wednesday, the weight of responsibility to pass is so great I have no fingernails left.
Old Jan 24th 2005, 6:46 pm
Forum Regular

ccuz is an unknown quantity at this point

Any more detail on fitness/interview etc,

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.