Philippines More Racist?

Old Jun 20th 2018, 3:44 pm
Forum Regular

liam_neeson is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Philippines More Racist?

Originally Posted by Feidlimid
I’m glad to say that our experience has been quite the opposite. When we were looking for a property to rent, locals in general and landlords were doing everything possible to help us, with the latter keen as mustard to rent out to us. Perhaps there was an element of hoping to get a higher rent from foreigners but I’d hardly class that as racism but more a case of opportunism. Staying on the racism issue that you raised, my wife and I find that on a regular basis we seem to get special treatment at banks, malls and other organisations, purely because we are white foreigners; it borders on positive discrimination at times. As mentioned by another member, your budget of between Php 2 to 4K is on the low side so that certainly won’t help matters in your search for a rental property. Why should that matter you ask, well, it’s more about expectations of what a foreigner can afford, but again, not racism. By the way, in case you’re unaware of it, you do project some negative ‘vibes’ in your posts. With respect, if you come across like that when you interact with the Filipino community, it’s hardly surprising that you’ve encountered difficulties.
My budget is hardly low. As for negativity, I have no clue what you are talking about. Filipinos are racist towards white people in almost every respect. It is hard to believe you have not encountered this. I make every effort to be Filipino. Bidyoke, tsismis, nakakapagsalita ko ng Tagalog at Bisyan, I eat only Filipino food, tell jokes, Catholic, and so on. And yes, charging someone more money based on race(especially when racism says you get paid less money) is very much racism.
Old Jun 20th 2018, 3:51 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Raffin
Certainly agree that the OPs unrealistically low rental budget is at the root of the problems he says he is facing.

But racism a daily difficulty here? And for "most of us"? It might be relevant to know if "us" refers just to immediate family or to a wider group of people of some sort?

Past colonisation, brutal at times, by mostly white Spanish and Americans, even Brits for a few weeks.. influxes of lighter coloured Chinese, Koreans and white Expat Retirees. All of this seems not to have affected the Filipinos' accommodating, friendly behaviour towards foreigners, at least in the experience of all those,some with long experience of living and visiting here, who have replied so far to the OPs question. Recent strong foreign criticism of the President seems also not have had any effect...although that may change somewhat if ICC proceedings proceed further.

Yes, as in any other country there are some rough areas, with high crime among other undesirable things. So probably the only sense in which a white person would suffer racial discrimination if one resided in one of those areas is that the local burglars might prefer to target you as they would assume you had plenty worth taking in your house or on your person.
How is my budget unrealistically low? There is no way the Philippines has become super expensive since Duterte was elected. My budget is high. The peso is currently at a 15 year low. Accomodatinf and friendly behaviour towards foreigners? Are we talking about the same Philippines? Filipinos are NOT friendly and accommodating to foreigners! lol They are horribly racist, and will scam, cheat, rob, and murder us at any opportunity. And I was accused of trolling in this thread? Have any of you actually BEEN to the Philippines? Or did you just read a tourist article from 50 years ago? Those areas you mention, are the entire country.
Old Jun 20th 2018, 3:54 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by mikemike
Nothing to do with racism just because you cannot get a price that many of the locals could not get!! The equate that to being linked with illegal acts!!

I am with raffin on this, looks like a troll
So because I choose to pay more money for a nice place, you are saying I am a criminal? Other users said that my prices are too low in Duterte's booming economy. You sir, are also reported. Good luck being permanently <<<SNIP>>>

Last edited by Jerseygirl; Jun 20th 2018 at 4:17 pm. Reason: Abuse
Old Jun 20th 2018, 3:57 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Gazza-d
You could discribe the Philippines as being racist which in ways they can be. I like to think it's a lack of PC. PC in the Philippines is something you scam your American boyfriends on.
It can certainly be a challenge. Probably the biggest. Worse than pollution, traffic, typhoons, and floods. Racism is the biggest challenge. What is PC?
Old Jun 20th 2018, 4:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

Stokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by liam_neeson
My budget is hardly low.
I live in a jungle village in Western Visayas 30Km from a supermarket or doctors surgery. A 2 room ( 1 bed/1 small living room approx 25/30m2 ) unfurnished mini house with toilet ( no shower ) will cost minimum Php3,500 a month. I think your expectation of getting something in Manila/Cebu is a bit unrealistic.
Old Jun 20th 2018, 6:19 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Stokkevn
I live in a jungle village in Western Visayas 30Km from a supermarket or doctors surgery. A 2 room ( 1 bed/1 small living room approx 25/30m2 ) unfurnished mini house with toilet ( no shower ) will cost minimum Php3,500 a month. I think your expectation of getting something in Manila/Cebu is a bit unrealistic.
How could things have changed so much in only a year? I have never paid as much as 3,500 in Manila. In province, I would never dream of it. How much are 2,000 a month places in Manila costing now? Say, 2,000 in 2017. What would it run now?
Old Jun 20th 2018, 11:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

Bealinehx has a reputation beyond reputeBealinehx has a reputation beyond reputeBealinehx has a reputation beyond reputeBealinehx has a reputation beyond reputeBealinehx has a reputation beyond reputeBealinehx has a reputation beyond reputeBealinehx has a reputation beyond reputeBealinehx has a reputation beyond reputeBealinehx has a reputation beyond reputeBealinehx has a reputation beyond reputeBealinehx has a reputation beyond repute

I believe that someone is telling Porkies regarding the cost of rent in Manila. Maybe at that low price it was a space in the cemetery in Tondo.
Old Jun 21st 2018, 12:47 am
BE Enthusiast

mikek1 has a reputation beyond reputemikek1 has a reputation beyond reputemikek1 has a reputation beyond reputemikek1 has a reputation beyond reputemikek1 has a reputation beyond reputemikek1 has a reputation beyond reputemikek1 has a reputation beyond reputemikek1 has a reputation beyond reputemikek1 has a reputation beyond reputemikek1 has a reputation beyond reputemikek1 has a reputation beyond repute

Liam,

You state you have been here for a year now. I find your complete negativity and lack of knowledge baffling. Regarding the cost of cheap accommodation I can advice that my Filipino relatives took accommodation in Manila whilst having to comply with the USA medical procedures. The rent for a one bed no facilities was 4K a month. They had previously lived in the same road and were friends of the landlord.I should emphasis that a westerner would not be comfortable with that property.

i have been visiting the Philippines for over 25 years and have found the economic changes starting. On our earlier visits there were only two classes of Filipino, stinking rich and extremely poverty stricken. Fast forward there is now a definitive middle class.If you care to look around and see all the new motors, the proliferation of expensive sub divisions, full restaurants,etc. It should be obvious the Philippines is becoming more affluent, particularly in the large cities. For the provinces, wealth is trickling down, on our early visits, a humble motor cycle was very rarely seen, now virtually everyone has one. I could give you many examples of the economic changes here, however you should explore and digest these for yourself.
Old Jun 21st 2018, 1:11 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Bealinehx
I believe that someone is telling Porkies regarding the cost of rent in Manila. Maybe at that low price it was a space in the cemetery in Tondo.
Nope. There are cheaper places. Or are you saying it is too expensive?
Old Jun 21st 2018, 1:22 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by mikek1
Liam,

You state you have been here for a year now. I find your complete negativity and lack of knowledge baffling. Regarding the cost of cheap accommodation I can advice that my Filipino relatives took accommodation in Manila whilst having to comply with the USA medical procedures. The rent for a one bed no facilities was 4K a month. They had previously lived in the same road and were friends of the landlord.I should emphasis that a westerner would not be comfortable with that property.

i have been visiting the Philippines for over 25 years and have found the economic changes starting. On our earlier visits there were only two classes of Filipino, stinking rich and extremely poverty stricken. Fast forward there is now a definitive middle class.If you care to look around and see all the new motors, the proliferation of expensive sub divisions, full restaurants,etc. It should be obvious the Philippines is becoming more affluent, particularly in the large cities. For the provinces, wealth is trickling down, on our early visits, a humble motor cycle was very rarely seen, now virtually everyone has one. I could give you many examples of the economic changes here, however you should explore and digest these for yourself.
Over a decade, actually. How do I have a lack of knowledge? lol Negativity is unavoidable. Especially when you are talking about a 3rd world nation. Especially when you are white and a walking target in a land of scammers and thieves. If you can't discuss this with your fellow countrymen, who can you? Yeah, no one is racist, but we would not want to live there. Sounds racist. And how many bedrooms do you need? So this whole economic boom has happened in only a year, and now the Philippines is unlivable? I find that hard to believe. I<snip>

Last edited by BEVS; Jun 21st 2018 at 1:55 am. Reason: Rule17.
Old Jun 21st 2018, 3:40 am
BE Forum Addict

Raffin has a reputation beyond reputeRaffin has a reputation beyond reputeRaffin has a reputation beyond reputeRaffin has a reputation beyond reputeRaffin has a reputation beyond reputeRaffin has a reputation beyond reputeRaffin has a reputation beyond reputeRaffin has a reputation beyond reputeRaffin has a reputation beyond reputeRaffin has a reputation beyond reputeRaffin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bealinehx
...but if you go for that just be ready to vacate your unit at short notice so those who "resisted" at the previous night's drugs buy/bust operation can be accommodated!
Old Jun 21st 2018, 7:23 am
BE Forum Addict

mikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond repute

Liam neeson clearly a troll has re juvenated the cold threads as likes to hear the sound of his own voice.

Asks 'do we live here', why? because we tell it as it is not as he thinks it is.

I never said you were doing anything illegal just commenting on your opening posts suggesting that those who do live here may be doing things not legal.
Old Jun 21st 2018, 7:26 am
BE Forum Addict

Gazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond repute

PC, politically correct/correctness, please excuse me for assuming everyone knew that.
Old Jun 21st 2018, 7:36 am
BE Forum Addict

mikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond repute

Pinoy pride and nationalism do not go together very well.

That does not make them racist, just nationalistic

The culture of me, myself and I means that they take advantage of situations irrespective of their intended victims nationality. They will happily treat their own as badly as it takes to get what they want. we are not so special in this regard, some just like to think we are.
Old Jun 21st 2018, 9:57 am
BE Forum Addict

Raffin has a reputation beyond reputeRaffin has a reputation beyond reputeRaffin has a reputation beyond reputeRaffin has a reputation beyond reputeRaffin has a reputation beyond reputeRaffin has a reputation beyond reputeRaffin has a reputation beyond reputeRaffin has a reputation beyond reputeRaffin has a reputation beyond reputeRaffin has a reputation beyond reputeRaffin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mikemike
Pinoy pride and nationalism do not go together very well.

That does not make them racist, just nationalistic
Well put Mike2, except that I think that despite all the flag waving they're much more tribal than nationalist.

This discussion has made me think how lucky we are that the administration here isn't able to use the fear or hatred of foreigners, as it is a strong card in the playbook of nearly all of the current "new wave"of populist leaders in Europe and the US. At the time when the previous US President made some strong criticisms of the Drugs War the general population here did not show any enthusiasm to join in and support attempts to stoke up anti-American sentiment from government supporters.

I also think that even if the regime here will face serious action from any or all of the ICC,EU and the UN few here would connect us with those bodies, as most here are ignorant of those organisations, what they are and what they do.

Still, when an authoritarian populist cannot use one group to blame for a country's problems and to stoke up fears about,he just finds others to target and further cement the grip on power.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.