Philippines More Racist?

Old Jun 18th 2018, 4:08 pm
Forum Regular

liam_neeson is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Philippines More Racist?

Hi guys. I am a full Permanent Resident in the Philippines. I am almost a citizen. I am Catholic. So we share that in common. I speak several dialects of Filipino. And I am a family man. Seems like a more desirable person than a sex tourist (no offence, but it is illegal). Last time we were back, I could not find ANYONE who had a house or flat for a white guy with kids. OK. Maybe no one rent to kids now. But that is hard to believe, considering most families have 12 kids in one room. My only conclusion is that they don't like us any more over there? Or do not like white-Asian mixing? I am contacting places now from on line ads, and everyone is ready to rent to me, until I tell them I am white, they immediately say "Sorry sir this unit is no longer available! We have no other units right now!"

What do you guys think? Thanks a bunch.

I have a certain set of skills, but it does not include finding rentals.

Last edited by liam_neeson; Jun 18th 2018 at 4:14 pm.
Old Jun 19th 2018, 5:27 am
BE Enthusiast

mikek1 has a reputation beyond reputemikek1 has a reputation beyond reputemikek1 has a reputation beyond reputemikek1 has a reputation beyond reputemikek1 has a reputation beyond reputemikek1 has a reputation beyond reputemikek1 has a reputation beyond reputemikek1 has a reputation beyond reputemikek1 has a reputation beyond reputemikek1 has a reputation beyond reputemikek1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Philippines More Racist?

Liam,

Cannot think of any cases whereby I have encountered any racism, in fact the absolute opposite is more appropriate. I would add that it would appear that seeking accommodation to rent is not that easy. We have been approached by foreigners asking us if we would like to rent out our holiday home. They have commented on the difficulty of finding suitable accommodation, but I guess it depends on what looking for, and the location. There are cheap places to rent but they would certainly not be adequate for a westerner.
What location are you seeking to rent , and what is your budget?
Old Jun 19th 2018, 12:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

Stokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond repute

I am with Mike on this one, Apart from the occasional addition of both VAT and Kano tax I have never had any problems here of people not wanting to do something just because I am from the UK.
Old Jun 19th 2018, 8:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

Raffin has a reputation beyond reputeRaffin has a reputation beyond reputeRaffin has a reputation beyond reputeRaffin has a reputation beyond reputeRaffin has a reputation beyond reputeRaffin has a reputation beyond reputeRaffin has a reputation beyond reputeRaffin has a reputation beyond reputeRaffin has a reputation beyond reputeRaffin has a reputation beyond reputeRaffin has a reputation beyond repute

It just might be more to do with a fear that we will complain about all the non functioning or uncovered electrical outlets, broken flush toilet mechanisms, cracked sanitary basins etc. which can be found even in better accommodation here.
Old Jun 19th 2018, 11:32 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by mikek1
Liam,

Cannot think of any cases whereby I have encountered any racism, in fact the absolute opposite is more appropriate. I would add that it would appear that seeking accommodation to rent is not that easy. We have been approached by foreigners asking us if we would like to rent out our holiday home. They have commented on the difficulty of finding suitable accommodation, but I guess it depends on what looking for, and the location. There are cheap places to rent but they would certainly not be adequate for a westerner.
What location are you seeking to rent , and what is your budget?
You have never encountered racism? Really? For most of us, it is a daily difficulty. You should consider yourself lucky. But then you say that some places are not for foreigners. How is that not racist? Well, at the moment, just need a place out of the rain. Looking for 2,000-4,000 range.
Old Jun 19th 2018, 11:33 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Stokkevn
I am with Mike on this one, Apart from the occasional addition of both VAT and Kano tax I have never had any problems here of people not wanting to do something just because I am from the UK.
That is hard to believe. Filipinos are HUGELY racist towards people with pink skin. Unless you are a Filipino from the UK?
Old Jun 19th 2018, 11:37 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Raffin
It just might be more to do with a fear that we will complain about all the non functioning or uncovered electrical outlets, broken flush toilet mechanisms, cracked sanitary basins etc. which can be found even in better accommodation here.
Yeah, that could certainly be one point. And I do complain. But not to my landlord. Usually just in private to my wife. VERY quietly. I also thought, they may be afraid someone will break in and destroy the doors or window bars, since their potential tenant will be a target. Or have to clean up a bloody mess
Old Jun 20th 2018, 12:22 am
BE Enthusiast

mikek1 has a reputation beyond reputemikek1 has a reputation beyond reputemikek1 has a reputation beyond reputemikek1 has a reputation beyond reputemikek1 has a reputation beyond reputemikek1 has a reputation beyond reputemikek1 has a reputation beyond reputemikek1 has a reputation beyond reputemikek1 has a reputation beyond reputemikek1 has a reputation beyond reputemikek1 has a reputation beyond repute

Liam,

You you did not state the area (or city) you are trying to locate to. Your budget is very low indeed, bearing in mind that most student boarding accommodation (multi occupancy sharing a room) ranges from 1 to 2k a month). Your upper limit of 4K might get you very,very basic accommodation in a remote province which would hardly be ideal. Generally speaking most rural barangays in the the provinces are occupied by poor Filipinos who have large families and share whatever accommodation they have. It is extremely unlikely there would be any rentals in those locations. In the larger cities your budget of 4K would be a non starter, especially Manila.
Has your almost a Filipino citizen I am surprised you do not know these basic facts.
Old Jun 20th 2018, 2:02 am
Forum Regular

Feidlimid has a reputation beyond reputeFeidlimid has a reputation beyond reputeFeidlimid has a reputation beyond reputeFeidlimid has a reputation beyond reputeFeidlimid has a reputation beyond reputeFeidlimid has a reputation beyond reputeFeidlimid has a reputation beyond reputeFeidlimid has a reputation beyond reputeFeidlimid has a reputation beyond reputeFeidlimid has a reputation beyond reputeFeidlimid has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by liam_neeson
You have never encountered racism? Really? For most of us, it is a daily difficulty. You should consider yourself lucky. But then you say that some places are not for foreigners. How is that not racist? Well, at the moment, just need a place out of the rain. Looking for 2,000-4,000 range.
I’m glad to say that our experience has been quite the opposite. When we were looking for a property to rent, locals in general and landlords were doing everything possible to help us, with the latter keen as mustard to rent out to us. Perhaps there was an element of hoping to get a higher rent from foreigners but I’d hardly class that as racism but more a case of opportunism. Staying on the racism issue that you raised, my wife and I find that on a regular basis we seem to get special treatment at banks, malls and other organisations, purely because we are white foreigners; it borders on positive discrimination at times. As mentioned by another member, your budget of between Php 2 to 4K is on the low side so that certainly won’t help matters in your search for a rental property. Why should that matter you ask, well, it’s more about expectations of what a foreigner can afford, but again, not racism. By the way, in case you’re unaware of it, you do project some negative ‘vibes’ in your posts. With respect, if you come across like that when you interact with the Filipino community, it’s hardly surprising that you’ve encountered difficulties.
Old Jun 20th 2018, 3:53 am
BE Enthusiast

Bealinehx has a reputation beyond reputeBealinehx has a reputation beyond reputeBealinehx has a reputation beyond reputeBealinehx has a reputation beyond reputeBealinehx has a reputation beyond reputeBealinehx has a reputation beyond reputeBealinehx has a reputation beyond reputeBealinehx has a reputation beyond reputeBealinehx has a reputation beyond reputeBealinehx has a reputation beyond reputeBealinehx has a reputation beyond repute

The Op has all the hallmarks of a troll and to be ignored.
Old Jun 20th 2018, 4:50 am
BE Forum Addict

Raffin has a reputation beyond reputeRaffin has a reputation beyond reputeRaffin has a reputation beyond reputeRaffin has a reputation beyond reputeRaffin has a reputation beyond reputeRaffin has a reputation beyond reputeRaffin has a reputation beyond reputeRaffin has a reputation beyond reputeRaffin has a reputation beyond reputeRaffin has a reputation beyond reputeRaffin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by liam_neeson
Certainly agree that the OPs unrealistically low rental budget is at the root of the problems he says he is facing.

But racism a daily difficulty here? And for "most of us"? It might be relevant to know if "us" refers just to immediate family or to a wider group of people of some sort?

Past colonisation, brutal at times, by mostly white Spanish and Americans, even Brits for a few weeks.. influxes of lighter coloured Chinese, Koreans and white Expat Retirees. All of this seems not to have affected the Filipinos' accommodating, friendly behaviour towards foreigners, at least in the experience of all those,some with long experience of living and visiting here, who have replied so far to the OPs question. Recent strong foreign criticism of the President seems also not have had any effect...although that may change somewhat if ICC proceedings proceed further.

Yes, as in any other country there are some rough areas, with high crime among other undesirable things. So probably the only sense in which a white person would suffer racial discrimination if one resided in one of those areas is that the local burglars might prefer to target you as they would assume you had plenty worth taking in your house or on your person.
Old Jun 20th 2018, 4:58 am
BE Forum Addict

mikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond repute

Nothing to do with racism just because you cannot get a price that many of the locals could not get!! The equate that to being linked with illegal acts!!

I am with raffin on this, looks like a troll
Old Jun 20th 2018, 7:24 am
BE Forum Addict

Gazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond repute

You could discribe the Philippines as being racist which in ways they can be. I like to think it's a lack of PC. PC in the Philippines is something you scam your American boyfriends on.
Old Jun 20th 2018, 3:37 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by mikek1
Liam,

You you did not state the area (or city) you are trying to locate to. Your budget is very low indeed, bearing in mind that most student boarding accommodation (multi occupancy sharing a room) ranges from 1 to 2k a month). Your upper limit of 4K might get you very,very basic accommodation in a remote province which would hardly be ideal. Generally speaking most rural barangays in the the provinces are occupied by poor Filipinos who have large families and share whatever accommodation they have. It is extremely unlikely there would be any rentals in those locations. In the larger cities your budget of 4K would be a non starter, especially Manila.
Has your almost a Filipino citizen I am surprised you do not know these basic facts.
Not sure the area I want to settle this time. Somewhere with civilisation of course. Maybe Manila, Cebu, etc. But at the present, any area will be fine, so long as we are out of the rain and with national borders. It's been a year since we have been back. I did not realise the country has changed so much! So if renting in both provinces and Manila is out of the question, what does one do?
Old Jun 20th 2018, 3:38 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Bealinehx
The Op has all the hallmarks of a troll and to be ignored.
Says the troll. You are reported!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.