My experience so far - Applying to AHPRA

Old Aug 13th 2014, 4:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

genorm has a reputation beyond reputegenorm has a reputation beyond reputegenorm has a reputation beyond reputegenorm has a reputation beyond reputegenorm has a reputation beyond reputegenorm has a reputation beyond reputegenorm has a reputation beyond reputegenorm has a reputation beyond reputegenorm has a reputation beyond reputegenorm has a reputation beyond reputegenorm has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: My experience so far - Applying to AHPRA

Apparently, the AHPRA web site is being updated so tomorrow may, or more likely, may not, provide us all with full information. UK Diploma RNs are starting to get refusal letters, and invited to apply for IRON. This is absolutelt disgraceful. In the meantime, Oz hospitals are DESPERATELY short of experienced nurses, and the backlog caused by AHPRA's unprofessional conduct is only extending it.
Old Aug 14th 2014, 4:08 am
Just Joined

Tracester72 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi there,

I am a UK qualified Midwife who moved to Brisbane in February 2014. I submitted all my paperwork in March 2014 and I am still awaiting my registration. I have been advised by AHPRA not to expect it before the end of September.

The issue they are having with me is Criteria 5, the section regarding Continuity of Care. So much of the UK training is focussed on Continuity of Care. In OZ they do not have Community Midwives the women go through their GP of Private Midwife. They have two postnatal visits by the hospital in the first four weeks. The continuity of care over here is very poor therefore I don't understand how AHPRA can question our training in the UK when we visit our women every day for 10 days or more if required.

I am exasperated with the situation, I wrote to the Health Minister and the Australian College of Midwives yesterday in the hope that something can be done.

I have had a job at the local hospital since April and am unable to start without my registration. AHPRA are aware of this however nothing can be done. I was told a month ago that all International applications were sitting on a shelf awaiting the National Board making a decision on the Continuity of Care section. I was then told that my application will be going in front of the Board on 28th August.

Utterly appalling and stressful situation, its good to see I'm not alone!!
Old Aug 14th 2014, 9:03 am
Just Joined

FingFang is an unknown quantity at this point

Tracester72 I will be in a similar situation to yourself very soon. Hope all goes well with your forms! I'm going to ask them tomorrow what the situation is re - international midwives. Any problems I have should be related to continuity of care too!

Have you been working in Aus in the meantime... I'm hoping to find work as a healthcare assistant.. but I've heard there arent really jobs like that in Australia.
Old Aug 14th 2014, 9:09 am
BE Enthusiast

genorm has a reputation beyond reputegenorm has a reputation beyond reputegenorm has a reputation beyond reputegenorm has a reputation beyond reputegenorm has a reputation beyond reputegenorm has a reputation beyond reputegenorm has a reputation beyond reputegenorm has a reputation beyond reputegenorm has a reputation beyond reputegenorm has a reputation beyond reputegenorm has a reputation beyond repute

Apparently AHPRA are responding to the UK Nurse who was interviewed on ABC Perth on Monday. That interview is here: UK nurses facing long delays for approval to work in Australia - ABC News (Australian Broadcasting Corporation)

You can listen to AHPRA's response here: Webcam Radio - ABC Perth - Australian Broadcasting Corporation TODAY at 5.30 pm WA time (10.30 am UK time).
Old Aug 14th 2014, 10:18 am
Just Joined

Hi FingFang

I have been unable to find any work over here so far. I have applied for over 80 jobs from cleaner to secretary as that was what I did before becoming a midwife. I'm not even getting replies to most of them. You need a certificate of some sort to get any kind of work which is why I am desperately trying to get my registration sorted. I hope you don't have the same problems.
Old Aug 14th 2014, 10:23 am
Just Joined

Very interesting genorm, I'm not sure AHPRA's right hand knows what its left hand is doing!!!!
Old Aug 16th 2014, 10:10 am
Just Joined

The more I read about the changes in APHRA the more I believe it isn't worth pursuing. I literally would not be able to afford to do so. I never sent a full CPD which I think they'll now ask for - my CPD is huge, it would cost an absolute fortune to have it all notorised. I also never signed each CV page as 'true and correct' - but I did sign it at the end. It sounds a complete nightmare and even when all correct evidence is provided I still wouldn't be registered because they don't know how they can get around international applicants providing evidence of continuity of care
I really, really wish I'd have registered a year earlier...
Old Aug 16th 2014, 10:24 am
BE Enthusiast

My understanding of the situation is that Australian Midwives don't case load or provide continuity of care in the sense that they do in the UK. The AHPRA CEO should know this because he was (allegedly), head of safety standards in the NHS before he went on to work for AHPRA.
Old Aug 16th 2014, 10:42 am
Just Joined

I agree with that genorm, I don't think they do, so I can completely understand why the boards in Aus want to change their education programmes and make this a competency for registration.

Unfortunately it's a big hitch for any UK registered midwives because we never had to do this as part of our registration requirements. I'm trying to find out how they will get around this and allow us to register. Not had any replies just yet!
Old Aug 16th 2014, 11:13 am
Just Joined

What I find hard to believe is that there appears to be very little Continuity of Care for pregnant women in Australia. I did case loading during my training and looked after three women from start to finish throughout the course and it was hectic, dealing with all their appointments being there for them and studying and sitting exams at the same time. If the new criteria wants students to have a caseload of at least eight women during training well this is totally unrealistic and I feel sorry for new students. The Continuity of Care for pregnant women and new mothers in the UK is fantastic compared to Australia as they don't have any community midwives. When a woman has her baby the hospital send a midwife out to her house once within the first two weeks. Frankly there is a lack of continuity of care in Australia.
Old Sep 5th 2014, 7:48 pm
Just Joined

gidztacy is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by picto1
Got myself a telephone interview on Friday for a job in Perth! Whoop!

hi! just want to ask if you have already received your registration from ahpra? i was reading all the posts and was wondering if you have any updates on the registration since i am also waiting for their reply as i applied for the registration last march 2014. thanks in advance!
Old Sep 9th 2014, 10:23 am
Just Joined

Bumbobear is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi. I originally sent my application in February 2014 and this morning I have received my decision which was that I cannot go on the register but I have been invited to do the bridging course........can I do this course from the uk? Does anyone know if The dip he still recognised as a level 7 in new zeland?
Old Sep 9th 2014, 11:30 am
BE Enthusiast

The Bridging Course (IRON) has to be done in Australia and costs between $10k and $15k depending on which provider you use. UK Diploma is still accepted in NZ but they are getting a bit suspicious of the sudden increase in applications, as once registered in NZ, Nurses can obtain AHPRA via the Trans Tasman Agreement, subject to a minimum practicing term. I suspect AHPRA will soon shut this route off - or NZ may also go to the degree only basis for registration.
Old Sep 9th 2014, 11:32 am
BE Enthusiast

Are you Diploma or Degree qualified - that seems to be the current decider.

Originally Posted by gidztacy
hi! just want to ask if you have already received your registration from ahpra? i was reading all the posts and was wondering if you have any updates on the registration since i am also waiting for their reply as i applied for the registration last march 2014. thanks in advance!
Old Sep 30th 2014, 4:59 pm
Just Joined

nellienoo78 is an unknown quantity at this point

Just thought I would put in an update for anyone who is degree qualified and applying to AHPRA. My registration has just been approved. It has taken 5 months all in with the longest delay coming from the NMC here. The time frame to get to Australia is a year. If you aren't there within three months you have to sign a declaration of good standing as the NMC one runs out.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.