My experience so far - Applying to AHPRA

Old Jul 16th 2014, 2:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

Jilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: My experience so far - Applying to AHPRA

Permanent residents are able to claim benefits straight away.
Old Jul 16th 2014, 4:50 pm

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jilliebee
Permanent residents are able to claim benefits straight away.
Permanent residents are able to claim some benefits straight away - Family Tax and Child care are the usual ones. Other benefits have a 2 year waiting period.
Old Jul 28th 2014, 5:28 pm
Just Joined

bellabob1 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi i have just started the ball rolling for AHPRA. I am a bit confused who can i get to sign all my qualifications etc i found a recommended person (Notaries) who stated she charges an awful lot well over a £100 is a solicitor ok or another qualified person like justice of the peace able to do it or doctor ??? also i am not sure how far back i have t go on qualification information i have gcse btec nursing diploma and then all certificates from 12 years of training within nursing ????
One other question my identification it states passport and auz visa if overseas i haven't applied for visa yet as I am waiting to get this part completed will they just accept my passport ??
whoops sorry thought of another one do i just email the NMC with the template letter to get them to fill it out and send it off to the AHPRA ????
im getting total brain ache with all this
any help much appriacatied
Old Jul 28th 2014, 6:14 pm
Just Joined

sorry im asking more questions. do i need to get all y certificates signed or just my nursing diploma and asthma copd and diabetes one ????
Old Jul 29th 2014, 8:53 am
Forum Regular

YvetteCamille is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by bellabob1
Hi i have just started the ball rolling for AHPRA. I am a bit confused who can i get to sign all my qualifications etc i found a recommended person (Notaries) who stated she charges an awful lot well over a £100 is a solicitor ok or another qualified person like justice of the peace able to do it or doctor ??? also i am not sure how far back i have t go on qualification information i have gcse btec nursing diploma and then all certificates from 12 years of training within nursing ????
One other question my identification it states passport and auz visa if overseas i haven't applied for visa yet as I am waiting to get this part completed will they just accept my passport ??
whoops sorry thought of another one do i just email the NMC with the template letter to get them to fill it out and send it off to the AHPRA ????
im getting total brain ache with all this
any help much appriacatied
Hi there,

Before you go and spends lots of money on certifying docs and sending stuff off to Oz i'd double check whether your qualifications meet the criteria. I'm an RMN with a diploma, applied in march this year, spent quite a bit on the application and are still waiting for an outcome, although I'm not hopeful as there are no dip He nurses being passed at the minute, so I'm just waiting for my official "No" letter.

Id keep checking these types of forums and see if there has been any Dip He nurses being given pins numbers to give you a better idea.

Sorry to rain on your parade but its not looking good for dip nurses currently, although this may be subject to change! If I were you I wouldn't spend any money on this just yet, you may be better waiting to see what happens as the fees are non-refundable!

Yvette
Old Jul 29th 2014, 9:15 am
BE Enthusiast

genorm has a reputation beyond reputegenorm has a reputation beyond reputegenorm has a reputation beyond reputegenorm has a reputation beyond reputegenorm has a reputation beyond reputegenorm has a reputation beyond reputegenorm has a reputation beyond reputegenorm has a reputation beyond reputegenorm has a reputation beyond reputegenorm has a reputation beyond reputegenorm has a reputation beyond repute

You may wish to consider joining this Group on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/1444726832453192/

You will need to be approved, but basically, it's a growing page with lots of info and has over 90 nurses affected by the changes. It's admin is an ex UK Police Officer, and together with his wife (Dip HE) and kids, they are already in Oz having been granted a Visa thanks to ANMAC Assessment of her skills. Now they are there, she can't get registered and they are living with friends and on Aussie benefits.

Their's and other similar cases are already at Ministerial level in the Oz government.
Old Jul 29th 2014, 9:20 am

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by genorm
You may wish to consider joining this Group on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/1444726832453192/

You will need to be approved, but basically, it's a growing page with lots of info and has over 90 nurses affected by the changes. It's admin is an ex UK Police Officer, and together with his wife (Dip HE) and kids, they are already in Oz having been granted a Visa thanks to ANMAC Assessment of her skills. Now they are there, she can't get registered and they are living with friends and on Aussie benefits.

Their's and other similar cases are already at Ministerial level in the Oz government.
Just to add though that there is no requirement to work in the nominated occupation once in Australia. Skills assessments are carried out by ANMAC for PR visas, and everyone included in a visa application gains work rights in any occupation for anyone else finding themselves in the same boat. Also nurses would not be alone in being unable to work in their nominated occupation following a successful skills assessment. You just need to find a path from valid skills assessment to registration or licensing to work in your occupation.
Old Jul 29th 2014, 9:34 am
BE Enthusiast

genorm has a reputation beyond reputegenorm has a reputation beyond reputegenorm has a reputation beyond reputegenorm has a reputation beyond reputegenorm has a reputation beyond reputegenorm has a reputation beyond reputegenorm has a reputation beyond reputegenorm has a reputation beyond reputegenorm has a reputation beyond reputegenorm has a reputation beyond reputegenorm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by old.sparkles
Just to add though that there is no requirement to work in the nominated occupation once in Australia. Skills assessments are carried out by ANMAC for PR visas, and everyone included in a visa application gains work rights in any occupation for anyone else finding themselves in the same boat. Also nurses would not be alone in being unable to work in their nominated occupation following a successful skills assessment. You just need to find a path from valid skills assessment to registration or licensing to work in your occupation.
Sorry, whilst your point is technically correct, why would a Nurse pay to get their skills assessed, move to the other side of the world, if it wasn't to work as a Nurse?

They have PAID to have their Nursing skills assessed because "Nurses" re on the required Skills list. They have obtained a positive assessment in the occupation of their choice. They have sold homes, moved their families to Oz, and applied for jobs. They have also applied for registration with AHPRA. They have paid for the application process, but AHPRA are refusing to register them because overnight, their UK Diploma is no longer acceptable.
Old Jul 29th 2014, 10:00 am
Just Joined

Im confused as when i did my nurse training their wasnt the dregree option its only recently that you have the option or you can only do the degree. I have completed degree module post regusatrations in copd asthma and diabetes. im not sure if i will get accepted now or not ???
Old Jul 29th 2014, 10:08 am
Just Joined

aussienurse is an unknown quantity at this point

I know this is a contentious subject but why would you do anything until you have nursing registration? Cleary states on AN MAC assessment that it does not automatically give rights to registration as a nurse. I have US friends with positive AN MAC but decided not to do anything until AHPRA Rego was in their hands, when they read AN MACS letter and read the changing criteria on website. They are still waiting for AHPRA to make decision, my sister as well.
Old Jul 29th 2014, 10:34 am

Originally Posted by genorm
Sorry, whilst your point is technically correct, why would a Nurse pay to get their skills assessed, move to the other side of the world, if it wasn't to work as a Nurse?

They have PAID to have their Nursing skills assessed because "Nurses" re on the required Skills list. They have obtained a positive assessment in the occupation of their choice. They have sold homes, moved their families to Oz, and applied for jobs. They have also applied for registration with AHPRA. They have paid for the application process, but AHPRA are refusing to register them because overnight, their UK Diploma is no longer acceptable.
Why not - some people have been known to train in an occupation just to qualify for the visa.

And it's been the same for licensed trades for a while (not saying that makes it any better, just pointing out that nurses aren't being singled out)
Old Jul 29th 2014, 10:40 am

Im confused as when i did my nurse training their wasnt the dregree option its only recently that you have the option or you can only do the degree. I have completed degree module post regusatrations in copd asthma and diabetes. im not sure if i will get accepted now or not ???
Applying to AHPRA won't get you a visa but without AHPRA registration you cannot work as a nurse in Australia, and has been said, UK nurses with Diploma qualification are not being registered at the moment. Not sure if that means they wont be registered, or just that applications are being looked at more closely. I have read that there is a backlog.
Old Jul 29th 2014, 10:43 am
BE Enthusiast

[QUOTE=old.sparkles;11351064]Why not - some people have been known to train in an occupation just to qualify for the visa.

/QUOTE]

Not these nurses!
Old Jul 29th 2014, 10:44 am
Forum Regular

YvetteCamille is an unknown quantity at this point

As you have done extra degree modules do you now have a degree in nursing? I know that they consider all training undertaken, I'm just not sure whether they want you to have a degree when you initially trained?
I'm sorry you're probably none the wiser but its a very confusing time for all overseas nurses wanting to work in Oz.

I'm not sure whether there is anyone in AHPRA who also knows whats going on, you could try and send them an email and ask whether your quals would be sufficient, however again I'm not sure whether they could/would give you that info over the phone or whether you have to pay the £300 for the privilege of the assessment.

Yvette
Old Jul 29th 2014, 10:47 am

[QUOTE=genorm;11351079]
Originally Posted by old.sparkles
Why not - some people have been known to train in an occupation just to qualify for the visa.

/QUOTE]

Not these nurses!
I didn't mean to imply 'these nurses' - I don't know them so wouldn't know. But I do know of others who have trained in an occupation knowing it was on the SOL so they would have a path to a visa, and some have made it clear that was what they were doing.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.