Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

What's for dinner?

What's for dinner?

Old Dec 9th 2010, 11:19 pm
---

bourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What's for dinner?

Originally Posted by BEVS
with spicy pork burgers coming after.
Old Dec 10th 2010, 5:31 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond repute

That's funny I never thought to make pork burgers ever before in my life, until last week. With only wrank sausages or sausage meat available, I bought pork mince to test if it would make nice sausage rolls for Christmas and ended up making sausage burgers instead. I spiced it up with some dried sage, oregano and heaps of black pepper. They were pretty good, if I do say so myself and I'm definitely going to have a whirl at making sausage rolls with a similar concoction.

I've bought lamb mince tonight and going to be making some shish koftas and red pepper hummus for dinner tomorrow.

It's a shame though that red peppers don't ever seem to be in season and are still a silly price at $2 each. I am trying to grow some in the garden.
Old Dec 10th 2010, 6:27 am
BE Enthusiast

janek is a splendid one to beholdjanek is a splendid one to beholdjanek is a splendid one to beholdjanek is a splendid one to beholdjanek is a splendid one to beholdjanek is a splendid one to beholdjanek is a splendid one to beholdjanek is a splendid one to beholdjanek is a splendid one to beholdjanek is a splendid one to beholdjanek is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Bo-Jangles
That's funny I never thought to make pork burgers ever before in my life, until last week. With only wrank sausages or sausage meat available, I bought pork mince to test if it would make nice sausage rolls for Christmas and ended up making sausage burgers instead. I spiced it up with some dried sage, oregano and heaps of black pepper. They were pretty good, if I do say so myself and I'm definitely going to have a whirl at making sausage rolls with a similar concoction.

I've bought lamb mince tonight and going to be making some shish koftas and red pepper hummus for dinner tomorrow.

It's a shame though that red peppers don't ever seem to be in season and are still a silly price at $2 each. I am trying to grow some in the garden.

Good luck then, I have been persevering with this for about 3 years, trying to grow them in a green house, can't get them much bigger than a small apple,
I can buy from capsicum from the local sat. market for that magical charm price of 99cents in season, [no change given]! Supermarkets and veg prices send me into a rant....

I have much more success with those large yellow banana Hungarian chillies, very nice too and not too spicy, I can actually get them to the size of a banana before picking them so i don' know where I go wrong with the capsicums..... maybe the mild climate the north will be more successful for you.....
Old Dec 10th 2010, 9:30 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by janek
[/COLOR]

Good luck then, I have been persevering with this for about 3 years, trying to grow them in a green house, can't get them much bigger than a small apple,
I can buy from capsicum from the local sat. market for that magical charm price of 99cents in season, [no change given]! Supermarkets and veg prices send me into a rant....

I have much more success with those large yellow banana Hungarian chillies, very nice too and not too spicy, I can actually get them to the size of a banana before picking them so i don' know where I go wrong with the capsicums..... maybe the mild climate the north will be more successful for you.....
So far, not so good. First lot of seeds didn't even germinate, so I gave up and bought a plant from the Warehouse for $4.99, which already had one flower on. The flower quickly fell off and came to nothing, but slowly some more flowers appeared and this inspired me to have another go with some more seeds. The second batch of seeds again seemed to be useless and after several weeks passed I had given up hope. Finally this week there is the tiniest sign of life there and little seedlings have appeared. The bought plant now has one baby pepper, smaller than a golfball. I am still hopeful that at at the very least I might get 5 bucks worth of peppers from it. Two or three should do it.
Old Dec 10th 2010, 11:51 am
Life is what YOU make it.

Stormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond repute

Grew these from plug plants this year and now have 2 jars of pickled chilli's that even I struggle with....
Attached Thumbnails What's for dinner?-dscf2318.jpg  

Last edited by Stormer999; Dec 10th 2010 at 12:07 pm.
Old Dec 11th 2010, 1:22 am
Queen of the Underworld

Persephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond repute

I am on my own tonight so taking the chance to cook myself a full blown curry: poppodums and chutneys, sheek kebabs and chicken balti curry.
Mr S does not like curry so we don't eat it normally and I've yet to find a good Indian restaurant for takeaways. I'm going to be in the kitchen tonight doing my best Keith Floyd impression mmm merlot!

Last edited by Persephone; Dec 11th 2010 at 2:23 am.
Old Mar 23rd 2011, 2:39 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Bit pot of Irish lamb stew on the stove top using veg from the garden & I made a peach cobbler thing with some of me peach glut..
Old Mar 23rd 2011, 5:39 am

Woodpigeon is an unknown quantity at this point

Bit pot of Irish lamb stew on the stove top using veg from the garden & I made a peach cobbler thing with some of me peach glut..
hahaha, great minds and all that!

Dinner tonight, chez WP: beef stew Now if I could just find some decent suet to make some dumplings....
Old Mar 23rd 2011, 6:00 am
`

Originally Posted by Woodpigeon
hahaha, great minds and all that!

Dinner tonight, chez WP: beef stew Now if I could just find some decent suet to make some dumplings....
I have Atora suet which was sent to me before the rules changed but the best before date is Sept 2010. I always forget the dumpling thing
Old Mar 23rd 2011, 6:19 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ooer cue spooky music, has someone been reading my mind digging up this old thread today. I have just made some sausage rolls with some pork mince I dragged out of the freezer, per my last post in this thread of 10th December

Originally Posted by Woodpigeon
Now if I could just find some decent suet to make some dumplings....
Yeppers, we're definitely moving into a more Autumnal eating regime. Soups and stews back on the menu here for the past week or so

Have you ever tried to make dumplings with butter instead? I do. I just rub some butter into flour, add a pinch of salt and pepper, plus perhaps some herbs or seedy mustard and stir in a little bit of cold water, as if you were making them with suet.

or you can do a Jamie Oliver and grate rock hard cold butter

http://www.jamieoliver.com/recipes/o...ipes/dumplings

I find the results the same.
Old Apr 22nd 2011, 4:45 am
`

Shepherds pie tonight with veg from the garden & a mixed fruit pie using some of the plum/peach glut.
Old Apr 23rd 2011, 11:23 am

Am Loolah is an unknown quantity at this point

Shepherds pie tonight with veg from the garden & a mixed fruit pie using some of the plum/peach glut.
My mother has a sense of humour bypass when I and the kids refer to this as Shepherds Poo ...

Just in case you want to adopt it?
Old Apr 23rd 2011, 6:30 pm
Life is what YOU make it.

Stormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond repute

Could do if it was all served on the same plate........
Old Apr 23rd 2011, 9:45 pm
`

Originally Posted by Stormer999
Could do if it was all served on the same plate........
It all goes down the same way.
Old Apr 24th 2011, 3:02 am
BE Forum Addict

simonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond repute

Roast Chicken, Roast Potatoes, Pumpkin and Cabbage...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.