Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

What's for dinner?

What's for dinner?

Old Oct 28th 2009, 11:05 pm
Queen of the Underworld

Persephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What's for dinner?

Beef casserole with sliced potatoes on top last night-none left for tonight He eats too much!
I also attempted to make profiteroles, I was in an adventurous mood last night and I have made them before perfectly.
Unfortunately Mr Sue's scales are none too accurate and I produced 14 small hard balls of choux pastry, they were not even vaguely edible but could have done some serious damage if I'd thrown them at someone...
Old Oct 28th 2009, 11:12 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by Persephone
Beef casserole with sliced potatoes on top last night-none left for tonight He eats too much!
I also attempted to make profiteroles, I was in an adventurous mood last night and I have made them before perfectly.
Unfortunately Mr Sue's scales are none too accurate and I produced 14 small hard balls of choux pastry, they were not even vaguely edible but could have done some serious damage if I'd thrown them at someone...

Dunno what I'm going to do for tonight. It'll have to be chicken and I should make summat for a pud for Mr BEVS.
Old Oct 29th 2009, 2:54 am
BE Enthusiast

Hokey-pokey has a reputation beyond reputeHokey-pokey has a reputation beyond reputeHokey-pokey has a reputation beyond reputeHokey-pokey has a reputation beyond reputeHokey-pokey has a reputation beyond reputeHokey-pokey has a reputation beyond reputeHokey-pokey has a reputation beyond reputeHokey-pokey has a reputation beyond reputeHokey-pokey has a reputation beyond reputeHokey-pokey has a reputation beyond reputeHokey-pokey has a reputation beyond repute

Thai green veggie curry staring KUMARA ! Have sampled already and it is absolutely delicious. ( a kaffa lime tree is a must if you enjoy making Thai food. )

Last edited by Hokey-pokey; Oct 29th 2009 at 3:01 am.
Old Oct 29th 2009, 4:35 am
`

Originally Posted by Hokey-pokey
Thai green veggie curry staring KUMARA ! Have sampled already and it is absolutely delicious. ( a kaffa lime tree is a must if you enjoy making Thai food. )
I can't eat curry but that sounds totally yum.
Old Oct 29th 2009, 6:49 am
BE Forum Addict

weejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond repute

We had beef and veggie wraps with wedges,some of the beef left before cooking so put in freezer and will do some other night. No leftovers tonight but I usually take them with me to work at night if there is. Made muffins, bread rolls, a chicken curry and a cheesecake to take to a pot luck dinner at the weekend.....and it all went. Was hoping some would make it's way back to the fridge or the freezer. Tomorrow will be pasta night....macaroni or spag bol with garlic bread.

Phyl x
Old Oct 29th 2009, 7:40 am
Forum Regular

karron is just really nicekarron is just really nicekarron is just really nicekarron is just really nicekarron is just really nicekarron is just really nicekarron is just really nicekarron is just really nicekarron is just really nicekarron is just really nicekarron is just really nice

Originally Posted by lardyl
that's the area where most of it is grown......
oh,i see thought it was like ireland where every square inch is potato fields
Old Oct 29th 2009, 7:48 am
BE Enthusiast

Hokey-pokey has a reputation beyond reputeHokey-pokey has a reputation beyond reputeHokey-pokey has a reputation beyond reputeHokey-pokey has a reputation beyond reputeHokey-pokey has a reputation beyond reputeHokey-pokey has a reputation beyond reputeHokey-pokey has a reputation beyond reputeHokey-pokey has a reputation beyond reputeHokey-pokey has a reputation beyond reputeHokey-pokey has a reputation beyond reputeHokey-pokey has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BEVS
I can't eat curry but that sounds totally yum.
Thats bad luck that you can't eat curries.
It was yum - although the coconut milk makes it really rich. That should have read " starring KUMARA " ( I hate spelling badly - Im a tad pedantic ). Fish and chips tomorrow.

Last edited by Hokey-pokey; Oct 29th 2009 at 7:53 am.
Old Oct 29th 2009, 9:26 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond repute

I've planned my menu to the nth degree for the next week and got my shopping tonight $45.70 Except, I forget to get bread.

Large Chicken $11
Pack Mince $6
Pork Ribs $9
6 Long Rolls $2.49
Jar of mayo $5.89
A couple of kgs of potatoes, half a cabbage, a few mushrooms and three tomatoes.

Tonight we hot dog rolls with frankfurters (which I already had) and fried onions. Neither nutritious nor healthy.
Old Oct 29th 2009, 9:33 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by karron
oh,i see thought it was like ireland where every square inch is potato fields

No, we have to leave room some for 40 million sheep and 5 million cows.
Old Nov 5th 2009, 7:37 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Hokey-pokey
I use a proper sushi bamboo roll up thingy . Cheap to buy and dishwasher proof. The first time I made sushi was slightly awkward, but now have it down to a fine art. I rest the roll in the fridge before slicing with an electric knife. Serve with the traditional condiments. Yum.
Cheers I got one today for $3.77 in New World, along with some sushi rice and a tube of Wasabi, however I was a bit bamboozled by the Nori and had no idea which to get. Never realised there were so many kinds and different colours too. The prices are so varied and I have no idea which is good or not - so do we go with the cheapest $2.99 or the $5 to $6 range? Would I notice any difference? There was some in the Asian grocery that was $23

Meanwhile, we had egg and chips for dinner today.
Old Nov 5th 2009, 7:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Bo-Jangles
Cheers I got one today for $3.77 in New World, along with some sushi rice and a tube of Wasabi, however I was a bit bamboozled by the Nori and had no idea which to get. Never realised there were so many kinds and different colours too. The prices are so varied and I have no idea which is good or not - so do we go with the cheapest $2.99 or the $5 to $6 range? Would I notice any difference? There was some in the Asian grocery that was $23
Good morning. I can't tell the difference in flavour between the light and dark green nori. I prefer the dark green nori ( unsure of price ) simply because the sheets are larger than the light. Also I suspect there may be an extra sheet or two in the packet. One packet of the dark is easily enough for one - two meals. Remember to keep the shiny side down !
I hope you will buy some pickled ginger too. It is expensive, but it keeps for yonks in a sealed container in fridge.Amazing how it compliments the wasabi and soy sauce.
Add the pickled ginger to red / brown rice salads and stir fries. It adds a real lift to a so-so Asian style meal - and you don't need to use much. I have discovered that sushi rice makes a really creamy rice pudding too !
I look forward to hearing how your sushi turns out ! ( shiny side down )
Old Jan 6th 2010, 3:14 am
BE Forum Addict

weejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond repute

Carrots,peas,courgettes,parsnips and potatoes all grown by us and picked today! Oh,and strawberries for dessert

Phyl x
Old Jan 6th 2010, 4:06 am
`

Ham, ham, more ham and ham again.

Husband was given one by his boss for Christmas
Old Jan 6th 2010, 4:09 am
Jedi Princess

kiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond repute

One of my favs is homemade pizza. I make the base myself which saves money on pre-made ones. Here's the recipe for you all: Makes 1 Large pizza (suggest double quantity to make 2 for 4 people).

Ingredients:

half cup warm water
1 tsp salt
1 tsp dried yeast
1 tblsp olive oil
2 cups plain flour

Method:

Put water in a small bowl and add yeast and oil. mix gently.

Sift salt and flour into lge bowl.
Add water/oil/yeast ingredients to dry ingredients.
Mix well and roll into a large ball on a floured surface.
Knead for 5-6 mins, ending in ball shape.
Place back in lge bowl and cover with tea-towel.
Place in hot water cupboard for 1- 1 1/2 hours to prove.
Roll out on floured surface with rolling pin.
Place on an oiled pizza tray, dress with sauce and toppings
Bake @ 220c for approx 12-15 mins (depends on amount of toppings).

This makes a classic pizza base. For a PAN pizza base: add 1 tblsp sugar and sift with flour and salt.

Thing I love about this is it just tastes so damn fresh! And is cheap!
Old Jan 6th 2010, 7:23 am
BE Forum Addict

Justcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond repute

Nothing to exciting just plain old chicken and chips for tea with
a nice slice of home made jam sponge slice

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.