Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

What's for dinner?

What's for dinner?

Old May 4th 2010, 9:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

weejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What's for dinner?

Well,a few firsts for me over the last couple of days. Made Thai pumpkin soup in slow cooker...amazing; had it with home made bread then homemade apple pie made with apples we got from a tree in the middle of nowhere in Central Otago at the weekend.

Then last night did a leg of lamb in slow cooker and had that with roast potatoes and parsnips and carrots. The gravy from it was fantastic. For dessert we had a pumpkin pie......never made or tasted one before but it was really nice.

Tonight I am making a lamb hotpot with leftover lamb and gravy.
And Anzac cookies which I also made for the first time.

Phyl x
Old May 4th 2010, 10:07 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Dunno what's for dinner I seem to be cooked out at the moment. .
There is chicken in the fridge so it;ll be chicken something or other.

We've also a load of apples given to us by a friend .
Old May 4th 2010, 11:51 pm
Forum Regular

Foxesecho has much to be proud ofFoxesecho has much to be proud ofFoxesecho has much to be proud ofFoxesecho has much to be proud ofFoxesecho has much to be proud ofFoxesecho has much to be proud ofFoxesecho has much to be proud ofFoxesecho has much to be proud ofFoxesecho has much to be proud ofFoxesecho has much to be proud ofFoxesecho has much to be proud of

Talking about apples, which apples are good for making apple sauce? Can only find eating apples and not the good old bramley we had in the uk.
Old May 5th 2010, 3:47 am

Woodpigeon is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Foxesecho
Talking about apples, which apples are good for making apple sauce? Can only find eating apples and not the good old bramley we had in the uk.
Oh god, how I miss bramleys. I'd also be interested in seeing replies on this.

When we were getting ready to shift out here a colleague (who had lived in NI for a couple of years some time earlier) got very excited telling me about all the different varieties of apples available here - but she never once mentioned how difficult it was to find a good cooking apple

In a similar vein I've just been bemoaning to the other half about the state of what passes for rhubarb - all thin and soft - maybe I should think about growing my own (though I seem to remember it being rather labour intensive when my parents grew it).
Old May 5th 2010, 3:52 am
Just Joined

Lynda63 is an unknown quantity at this point
Unhappy Re: What's for dinner?

I really miss Bramley cooking apples to. I used to have a couple of lovely cooking apple type trees in my garden in the uk. Here I just cook the eating apples from the supermarket just not the same
Old May 5th 2010, 9:34 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond repute

It's funny that they don't sell cooking apples in the shops but you can buy Bramley apple trees and other cooking varieties.

http://www.koanga.co.nz/pages/2007Apples.htm

http://www.koanga.org.nz/articles/135162.html

Talking of pumpkins, I had one of those big greeny/grey coloured ones (bigger than my head) and wonder how other people go on with hacking these to pieces without drawing blood or losing fingers in the process. I just about managed to cut mine into six hefty chunks and roasted them with the skin on.

Hence it's been a pumpkin kind of a week: some with Sunday roast and again on Monday, a further two lumps made into soup yesterday and two more in the freezer for another time. As lovely as it was the ordeal of getting it chopped into manageable portions puts me off bothering too often.

Last edited by Bo-Jangles; May 5th 2010 at 9:38 am.
Old May 5th 2010, 2:04 pm
Life is what YOU make it.

Stormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lynda63
I really miss Bramley cooking apples to. I used to have a couple of lovely cooking apple type trees in my garden in the uk. Here I just cook the eating apples from the supermarket just not the same
Try the Lord Nelson cooking apple. Peasgood Nonsuch is the NZ equiv to Bramley.
Old May 6th 2010, 7:49 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Stormer999
Try the Lord Nelson cooking apple. Peasgood Nonsuch is the NZ equiv to Bramley.
Methinks you are 'avin a larf! Any ideas where one might find these? It's not a matter of just trying them, it's a case of where the blooming 'eck to find them. Because most shops just sell green ones or red ones, Braeburns, Royal Gala and Granny Smiths, end of.
Old May 6th 2010, 10:15 am
BE Forum Addict

crap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond repute

my tea tonight. (Last time I travel Korean Air, it was very delicious.)

btw took nearly three hours to cook!! ... I made it properly and used 8 different veggies - time consuming. It was great anyway
Attached Thumbnails What's for dinner?-php7i45q8am.jpg   What's for dinner?-php420cmbam.jpg   What's for dinner?-kimmj83_37644776.jpg  

Last edited by crap coffee; May 6th 2010 at 10:53 am.
Old May 6th 2010, 10:37 am
BE Forum Addict

weejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond repute

Lamb hotpot in slow cooker....ace

Phyl x
Old May 6th 2010, 10:46 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by Bo-Jangles
Methinks you are 'avin a larf! Any ideas where one might find these? It's not a matter of just trying them, it's a case of where the blooming 'eck to find them. Because most shops just sell green ones or red ones, Braeburns, Royal Gala and Granny Smiths, end of.
and . So very absolutely true.

I was gonna ask ........

Originally Posted by Stormer
Try the Lord Nelson cooking apple. Peasgood Nonsuch is the NZ equiv to Bramley
.......and where does a Welshman get such insider info, being a Welshman like.
Old May 6th 2010, 11:39 am

Stormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BEVS
and . So very absolutely true.

I was gonna ask ........

.......and where does a Welshman get such insider info, being a Welshman like.
From my rellies who live in Parnell Auk. The Jones's fron Llanelli.....home of the Scarlets my birthtown...
Old May 6th 2010, 12:08 pm

I take it these varieties are grown in NZ for export to the UK then?
Just keep enough to make Scrumpy.....

Last edited by Stormer999; May 6th 2010 at 12:33 pm.
Old May 7th 2010, 2:08 am
Account Closed

Stoof is an unknown quantity at this point

we have an interesting few teas coming up, what with having sold the fridge and emptying the cupboards before they come to pack us up on monday … so… any ideas for something involving tahini, wholemeal flour, horseradish, green lentils, tinned pineapple and spaghetti very welcome!!!
Old May 7th 2010, 2:14 am
Forum Regular

NZGrl is a splendid one to beholdNZGrl is a splendid one to beholdNZGrl is a splendid one to beholdNZGrl is a splendid one to beholdNZGrl is a splendid one to beholdNZGrl is a splendid one to beholdNZGrl is a splendid one to beholdNZGrl is a splendid one to beholdNZGrl is a splendid one to beholdNZGrl is a splendid one to beholdNZGrl is a splendid one to behold

Make a pizza night with the kids tonight and they LOVE IT!!

I make the base in the bread maker and make the sauce from scratch...I just have tomato sauce and mozarella cheese on ours with a bit of garlic and olive oil for good luck but the kids like all the ham and pineapple stuff on theirs.

I seem to have a bit of a thing for Anchovies at the mo' so might have to dash out and get some..MMmmmmmm Yum

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.