Reload this Page >

This wasnt supposed to happen, we are now POOR

This wasnt supposed to happen, we are now POOR

Old Nov 6th 2009, 6:13 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation
Default Re: This wasnt supposed to happen, we are now POOR

Originally Posted by colandros
Stormer999 what exactly are you expecting NZ to be like ?
I will be very interested in this answer.
Old Nov 6th 2009, 9:21 am
BE Enthusiast

bolton1 is a splendid one to beholdbolton1 is a splendid one to beholdbolton1 is a splendid one to beholdbolton1 is a splendid one to beholdbolton1 is a splendid one to beholdbolton1 is a splendid one to beholdbolton1 is a splendid one to beholdbolton1 is a splendid one to beholdbolton1 is a splendid one to beholdbolton1 is a splendid one to beholdbolton1 is a splendid one to behold

We are still very new to NZ but were talking about this recently & for us the time we spend together as a family is priceless. We both had really good , well paid jobs in the U.K but my OH left the house at 7.00am and returned about 6.30pm by which time he was too knackered to do anything & the children were 'doing their own thing' so would catch up with them at bedtime for half an hour - not quality time at all. I would drop children at school, go to work , collect them , then be on phone or computer finishing workstuff off that I hadn't got time to do as my workload was mad.

After losing my best friend before we came out our priorities changed and what we had worked so hard for suddenly wasn't really important anymore & sounds corny but we learned that the best things in life are free.
Old Nov 6th 2009, 1:10 pm
Life is what YOU make it.

Stormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BEVS
I will be very interested in this answer.
Sorry L30 I meant no offence whatsoever when I reread my post I see why
Bevs/Colandros.. I am struggling to find out exactly why people do not like their lifestyle in NZ other than a financial problem. When people say do not leave the UK because you dislike something but go to NZ because you do like something then I face a problem....I dislike the crowded way we live in the UK and dislike the hopelessness of trying to travel on over congested roads. In NZ I like the lack of crowds and the empty roads! See what I mean? Perhaps I have spent too long on the Brits going back home forum link because there I end up completely frustrated when trying to understand what is going on and posts like 'where the heart is' bemuse me as to why they went in the first instance? The more I look into NZ forums the less confident I am in what I intend to do! Since last November when we returned from NZ we have been looking around the UK with interest in getting out of the Midlands but new build is popping up all over the country even Cornwall and Devon and into Scotland of all places. I feel so hemmed in that I need to start somewhere else and hence the visit to your lovely islands but sometimes it feels as though the majority of Brits that have relocated in NZ dislike the place but are trapped because of the return home ticket!........HELP!

Last edited by Stormer999; Nov 6th 2009 at 2:33 pm.
Old Nov 6th 2009, 1:34 pm
Forum Regular

IngStina has a reputation beyond reputeIngStina has a reputation beyond reputeIngStina has a reputation beyond reputeIngStina has a reputation beyond reputeIngStina has a reputation beyond reputeIngStina has a reputation beyond reputeIngStina has a reputation beyond reputeIngStina has a reputation beyond reputeIngStina has a reputation beyond reputeIngStina has a reputation beyond reputeIngStina has a reputation beyond repute

If it's lack of people you want, move to western or northern Canada. You could go for weeks, months, even years without seeing people, if that's what you really want. And no, all of Canada is not a frozen landscape, I'm on the West Coast which rains a lot, sometimes gets snow and all along the coast are beautiful hidden places for anyone 'wanting to get away from it all'. I wish you all the best in trying to find what you're looking for in NZ or anywhere.

Kristina
Old Nov 6th 2009, 1:46 pm

Stormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by IngStina
If it's lack of people you want, move to western or northern Canada. You could go for weeks, months, even years without seeing people, if that's what you really want. And no, all of Canada is not a frozen landscape, I'm on the West Coast which rains a lot, sometimes gets snow and all along the coast are beautiful hidden places for anyone 'wanting to get away from it all'. I wish you all the best in trying to find what you're looking for in NZ or anywhere.

Kristina
Thanks Kristina I used to listen to a friend who was Canadian and by heck that country sounds BIG, The main reason for NZ is following distant rellies really. Begining to doubt myself lately!
Old Nov 6th 2009, 2:16 pm

Originally Posted by love30stm
And what the heck does that mean....I said they dont smile or talk!!! read my thread again!!!! I spell it out for you I Live In New Zealand and not all Kiwis are friendly

on the other hand my other two neighbors are great we pop in and out of each others houses for drinks etc....

I dont know really what you were getting at to tell you the truth!
Sorry L30...came out wrong what I meant was being British we are a very reserved (mistrustfull0 people and we do not open up to others easily. hence we appear standoffish to other races. during my short visitation to NZ I found the people I encountered so 'open' that they scared me off as I thought they were after something.
Old Nov 6th 2009, 2:32 pm

Originally Posted by colandros
Stormer999 what exactly are you expecting NZ to be like ??
I think you might need to take your rose tints off and look deeper than the
immigration blurb.

I dont know my neighbours names either.
We popped round to both when we moved in to say hi and introduce ourselves
but that has been about the total of our involvement with them.
We had a brit family move in next door for a while and they were so much
nicer and friendlier than the kiwis.
None of our friends (brits or kiwis) have much contact with any of their neighbours either.
Colandros.......how do you view NZ? Big question I know but I am trying to get to grips with what it is really like to live there compared with the UK. I am easily pleased and am happy living with my own company so will not miss materialistic things.
Old Nov 6th 2009, 5:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

Genesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond repute

Kristina
Canada is waaaaaaaaay harder to get into and from what I understand some areas have -40 winters. Canada also does not have a very visble 'beachy type culture' that so many hanker for that NZ does very outwardly portray
Old Nov 6th 2009, 5:43 pm
BE Enthusiast

Perry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Genesis
Canada is waaaaaaaaay harder to get into and from what I understand some areas have -40 winters. Canada also does not have a very visble 'beachy type culture' that so many hanker for that NZ does very outwardly portray
And Poutine - food crimes!
Old Nov 6th 2009, 6:03 pm
Forum Regular

Kentish Lass is a name known to allKentish Lass is a name known to allKentish Lass is a name known to allKentish Lass is a name known to allKentish Lass is a name known to allKentish Lass is a name known to allKentish Lass is a name known to allKentish Lass is a name known to allKentish Lass is a name known to allKentish Lass is a name known to allKentish Lass is a name known to all

We didn't do a 'reccie' before we arrived and came out 'blind'. It wasn't what I expected. Everyone gave me the impression that it was Britain from a few years back.......but isn't.
Old Nov 6th 2009, 6:14 pm

Originally Posted by Kentish Lass
We didn't do a 'reccie' before we arrived and came out 'blind'. It wasn't what I expected. Everyone gave me the impression that it was Britain from a few years back.......but isn't.
Your findings ...please...much appreciated.
Old Nov 6th 2009, 6:23 pm

love30stm is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Kentish Lass
It always amazes me how peope compare it to Britain! it's New Zealand it's NOT Britain, and that's the type of people that leave!
Old Nov 6th 2009, 6:26 pm

Originally Posted by Stormer999
Your findings ...please...much appreciated.
If your panicking about what New Zealand is going to be like maybe you should rethink your plans! We came out blind I don't like the area I live in but I like Nz and won't go back to the UK
Old Nov 6th 2009, 7:35 pm
Forum Regular

IngStina has a reputation beyond reputeIngStina has a reputation beyond reputeIngStina has a reputation beyond reputeIngStina has a reputation beyond reputeIngStina has a reputation beyond reputeIngStina has a reputation beyond reputeIngStina has a reputation beyond reputeIngStina has a reputation beyond reputeIngStina has a reputation beyond reputeIngStina has a reputation beyond reputeIngStina has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Genesis
Not sure what you mean by beachy culture but we have surfing, whale watching etc. In winter you can comfortably go skiing in the morning and sailing in the pm or vice versa. As for -40, we rarely get below -10 here and I've tracked the weather in NZ to compare with where I live and the temps aren't that different. The Fraser Valley and Dunedin have about the same climate and we have many kiwis living in the lower mainland who say they feel it's just like home. Not that I'm trying to sell Canada, but many look at Canada and mostly find what's east or north and yes, they can get considerably colder than -40.
Old Nov 6th 2009, 8:06 pm

Not sure what you mean by beachy culture but we have surfing, whale watching etc. In winter you can comfortably go skiing in the morning and sailing in the pm or vice versa. As for -40, we rarely get below -10 here and I've tracked the weather in NZ to compare with where I live and the temps aren't that different. The Fraser Valley and Dunedin have about the same climate and we have many kiwis living in the lower mainland who say they feel it's just like home. Not that I'm trying to sell Canada, but many look at Canada and mostly find what's east or north and yes, they can get considerably colder than -40.
do you want to swap with me

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.