Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

This wasnt supposed to happen, we are now POOR

This wasnt supposed to happen, we are now POOR

Old Nov 6th 2009, 8:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

Genesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: This wasnt supposed to happen, we are now POOR

Originally Posted by love30stm
It always amazes me how peope compare it to Britain! it's New Zealand it's NOT Britain, and that's the type of people that leave!
I admit when I came for 6 weeks or so in 1991 I left with that rather niave idea. After actually living here for a few months It is sooooooooooo removed from the UK its untrue..and that's EVEN better!!!!!!
Old Nov 7th 2009, 5:39 am
By name and by nature

Batty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond repute

we pop in and out of each others houses for drinks etc....

:[/QUOTE]

And to some people that's the definition of hell
Old Nov 7th 2009, 6:55 am

love30stm is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Batty
we pop in and out of each others houses for drinks etc....

:
And to some people that's the definition of hell [/QUOTE]

Maybe if you popped in it might be
Old Nov 7th 2009, 12:22 pm
Life is what YOU make it.

Stormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Genesis
I admit when I came for 6 weeks or so in 1991 I left with that rather niave idea. After actually living here for a few months It is sooooooooooo removed from the UK its untrue..and that's EVEN better!!!!!!
If I had found NZ to be anything like the UK I certainly would not be considering settling there!
Old Nov 7th 2009, 12:25 pm
Life is what YOU make it.

Stormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by love30stm
If your panicking about what New Zealand is going to be like maybe you should rethink your plans! We came out blind I don't like the area I live in but I like Nz and won't go back to the UK
Panick I do not do prepare I do thoroughly..
Old Nov 8th 2009, 10:16 pm
Banned

danjones1 is just really nicedanjones1 is just really nicedanjones1 is just really nicedanjones1 is just really nicedanjones1 is just really nicedanjones1 is just really nicedanjones1 is just really nicedanjones1 is just really nicedanjones1 is just really nicedanjones1 is just really nicedanjones1 is just really nice

why do u think so many kiwis bugger off to Aus?
Old Nov 8th 2009, 10:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

Margaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bolton1
We are still very new to NZ but were talking about this recently & for us the time we spend together as a family is priceless. We both had really good , well paid jobs in the U.K but my OH left the house at 7.00am and returned about 6.30pm by which time he was too knackered to do anything & the children were 'doing their own thing' so would catch up with them at bedtime for half an hour - not quality time at all. I would drop children at school, go to work , collect them , then be on phone or computer finishing workstuff off that I hadn't got time to do as my workload was mad.

After losing my best friend before we came out our priorities changed and what we had worked so hard for suddenly wasn't really important anymore & sounds corny but we learned that the best things in life are free.
Ah there you are Julie I am glad you enjoying life in your new country. We will be there in January and will be able to catch up with all your news. I here the boys are getting on great guns so thats another hurdle.

My opinion is you can't knock it until you have tried it.

See you soon don't forget to have the BBQ going.

If anyone is interested I got to know Julie on this site and found she lived near me so we met up. I introduced her to my daughter via the webcab so they already knew someone when they arrived which is always a good thing.
Old Nov 8th 2009, 10:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

Justcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond repute

but for some australia isnt an option as they would not qualify.
Old Nov 8th 2009, 10:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

Genesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by danjones1
why do u think so many kiwis bugger off to Aus?
Better weather, better pay and a change of scenery. If i was a 30 year old kiwi having been born here I would want to leave too. I am not atall surprised that so many kiwis live abroad. I think there would be something wrong if they weren't. In terms of travel logistics this is ONE God forsaken place. The remotest proper western civilisation on earth.

If you are happy within this rather insular, somewhat backward (albeit my fave palce to live..but then i am close to the autumn of my life!!) little country great. But most humans want more out of life than being stuck here for a life time. I fully expect my kids to do one..if they don't great. But most do and see that the grass is indeed better other places..and why not? For me life is better for me in NZ..thus it must and does work the other way. Good luck to all the planet rovers.
Old Nov 9th 2009, 7:21 am
Forum Regular

hobbitess is on a distinguished road

Hmm, my usual hang-out is the Canada Forum as have been stuck between Nova Scotia and NZ North Island. Have two kids, dog, OH and in a high demand job. Not sure what to think really except I'm trying to bear in mind we all need different things to be happy.

Economically I'm not sure any where right now is great but as for greener grass, I'm not sure.
Old Nov 9th 2009, 1:11 pm
Forum Regular

wilki is just really nicewilki is just really nicewilki is just really nicewilki is just really nicewilki is just really nicewilki is just really nicewilki is just really nicewilki is just really nicewilki is just really nicewilki is just really nice

Its hard to try and be a local, when the truth is your not a local, and Kiwis know this, they have there friends and stick to them. not all but most.
I spoke to kiwis about this when I was there. They said the brits have come over and pushed the price of things through the roof, when the exchange rate was very good for the move to NZ, there little bit of paradise on the other side of the world has been discovered, and some say ruined.
Alot of kiwis dont want to get to know the new english neighours or let there kids mix because they are afraid you'll move, and they or the kids or both will get upset, so they make a effort to keep there distance, because the english do move around abit.
Old Nov 9th 2009, 3:06 pm
We're HERE!!!

Kija has a reputation beyond reputeKija has a reputation beyond reputeKija has a reputation beyond reputeKija has a reputation beyond reputeKija has a reputation beyond reputeKija has a reputation beyond reputeKija has a reputation beyond reputeKija has a reputation beyond reputeKija has a reputation beyond reputeKija has a reputation beyond reputeKija has a reputation beyond repute

The one thing that is worrying me about moving to New Zealand is if we will be able to find jobs! It seems the current job climate is very bad Do dishwashing jobs pay the bills?
Old Nov 9th 2009, 4:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Kija
The one thing that is worrying me about moving to New Zealand is if we will be able to find jobs! It seems the current job climate is very bad Do dishwashing jobs pay the bills?
Unemployment as i said in another thread is at a 15 year high. Things are very tricky on the job front here. Even nursing jobs are not available where they used to be plentiful. Look at Welsh Wales posting and indeed the thought of coming to NZ just now IS very sobering unless you have a cast iron job offer and a fair bit of wedge behind you. caveat emptor aye?
Old Nov 9th 2009, 5:19 pm
Forum Regular

Cadibel has a brilliant futureCadibel has a brilliant futureCadibel has a brilliant futureCadibel has a brilliant futureCadibel has a brilliant futureCadibel has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by colandros
but for some australia isnt an option as they would not qualify.
We have an Aussie visa but still chose NZ over Oz - yes, we know we'll be poorer in dollars, but hoping for a better work life balance. (Oh, and teaching is far easier to get into in NZ
Old Nov 9th 2009, 9:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

Justcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by wilki
Its hard to try and be a local, when the truth is your not a local, and Kiwis know this, they have there friends and stick to them. not all but most.
I spoke to kiwis about this when I was there. They said the brits have come over and pushed the price of things through the roof, when the exchange rate was very good for the move to NZ, there little bit of paradise on the other side of the world has been discovered, and some say ruined.
Alot of kiwis dont want to get to know the new english neighours or let there kids mix because they are afraid you'll move, and they or the kids or both will get upset, so they make a effort to keep there distance, because the english do move around abit.
This is going to sound harsh but. . .

That is the biggest load of bollocks i've read on here so far

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.