Reload this Page >

This wasnt supposed to happen, we are now POOR

This wasnt supposed to happen, we are now POOR

Old Nov 9th 2009, 9:21 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation
Default Re: This wasnt supposed to happen, we are now POOR

To be fair we have had this .....

They said the brits have come over and pushed the price of things through the roof
...actually said to us .

...they have their friends and stick to them. Not all , but most.
This is also reasonable as it happens the world over doesn't it. Like sticking with like. Of course, as the statement says, not all are like this but there are those that are just like this.
Old Nov 9th 2009, 9:52 pm
TeamEmbo

TeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by wilki
They said the brits have come over and pushed the price of things through the roof
Sorry but I find that statement amusing. Ask a kiwi where their family are from - 8/10 will probably originate from UK
Old Nov 10th 2009, 12:02 am
BE Enthusiast

Hokey-pokey has a reputation beyond reputeHokey-pokey has a reputation beyond reputeHokey-pokey has a reputation beyond reputeHokey-pokey has a reputation beyond reputeHokey-pokey has a reputation beyond reputeHokey-pokey has a reputation beyond reputeHokey-pokey has a reputation beyond reputeHokey-pokey has a reputation beyond reputeHokey-pokey has a reputation beyond reputeHokey-pokey has a reputation beyond reputeHokey-pokey has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TeamEmbo
Sorry but I find that statement amusing. Ask a kiwi where their family are from - 8/10 will probably originate from UK
It is quite funny I agree. Winston Peters was particularly amusing when he used to go on about Asian immigration numbers. He himself is part Chinese.
However there is no denying the fact that a number of NZers are/were resentful of new arrivals out bidding them at auctions for houses and land. Very sad when you can't afford a home in your own country. Personally I say the more the merrier. The government has been advised to consider opening the country to unskilled workers. The question I'm now wondering is , which one of these languages should the kids be learning - Mandarin or Cantonese ?
Old Nov 10th 2009, 12:19 am
BE Forum Addict

luvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by colandros
This is going to sound harsh but. . .

That is the biggest load of bollocks i've read on here so far
It's not bollocks if you are a 'true expat' with no long term intention beyond a few years....I don't blame them for filtering me out either for all the reasons that poster listed.....most of my friends are expats who have lived here for ages and are staying...but not Brits and they are often married to Kiwis but have never quite 'fitted in' completely.

It's like anywhere though, if you are religious (i'm not) the local Church community will make you very welcome...ditto a sports club to a certain extent......it's easier in an English speaking country to make friends with locals than in other places .....but it's maybe not as easy as you might think.

Also most people are too busy out earning to waste time making new friends...only one of my friends actually works and only part-time..the older you are...the harder it is as people are more settled in their own friendship circles.

The worst thing is not having access to the close relatives/friends at for instance Christmas...I absolutely hate that. This year teaming up with another Expat family...previous years have gone on holiday.

So it's not bollocks just because your experience may have been different.
I think service is fantastic here....Genesis doesn't. We're probably both right..our realities are different.

Last edited by luvwelly; Nov 10th 2009 at 12:25 am.
Old Nov 10th 2009, 12:23 am
BE Forum Addict

luvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TeamEmbo
True and usually at least one grown up member of the family will be over in UK at the time of the conversation in my experience...but it doesn't mean they are favourably disposed to Brits or the UK.
Some are, some aren't. The ones who have lived overseas themselves for some time then come back are the most open, probably since they know what it is like to move country.
Old Nov 10th 2009, 12:30 am
BE Forum Addict

Justcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond repute

yet those who are selling the houses and land are only
to happy to take the money from the migrants and those who live
next door are happy to as it reflects favourably on the value of their property.
If more kiwi's got on the property ladder instead of throwing their money away
on renting they would also benefit from the "migrants money".
Old Nov 10th 2009, 12:39 am
BE Enthusiast

Hokey-pokey has a reputation beyond reputeHokey-pokey has a reputation beyond reputeHokey-pokey has a reputation beyond reputeHokey-pokey has a reputation beyond reputeHokey-pokey has a reputation beyond reputeHokey-pokey has a reputation beyond reputeHokey-pokey has a reputation beyond reputeHokey-pokey has a reputation beyond reputeHokey-pokey has a reputation beyond reputeHokey-pokey has a reputation beyond reputeHokey-pokey has a reputation beyond repute

How are they going to get on the property ladder if they can't afford to ? NZ wages are low and they simply can't compete with wealthier individuals coming in with Euros, pounds or whatever. Gotta dash...
Old Nov 10th 2009, 3:52 am
you dewty owld maan!

lardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond repute

IMO renting isn't "throwing money away"....
If you don't have the leverage or don't want to be on the property ladder then why not rent?
Makes more sense in NZ than in the UK as the Govt (ie you and I as taxpayers) are subsidising rentals.........
Old Nov 10th 2009, 12:35 pm
We're HERE!!!

Kija has a reputation beyond reputeKija has a reputation beyond reputeKija has a reputation beyond reputeKija has a reputation beyond reputeKija has a reputation beyond reputeKija has a reputation beyond reputeKija has a reputation beyond reputeKija has a reputation beyond reputeKija has a reputation beyond reputeKija has a reputation beyond reputeKija has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lardyl
IMO renting isn't "throwing money away"....
If you don't have the leverage or don't want to be on the property ladder then why not rent?
Makes more sense in NZ than in the UK as the Govt (ie you and I as taxpayers) are subsidising rentals.........
Never knew that, I've always thought renting is a bit like throwing money down the drain. Rent isn't all that cheap though and I wonder what it would be like if it wasn't subsidised
Old Nov 10th 2009, 8:34 pm
you dewty owld maan!

lardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kija
Never knew that, I've always thought renting is a bit like throwing money down the drain. Rent isn't all that cheap though and I wonder what it would be like if it wasn't subsidised
yeah they are expensive if you consider how the houses are built/maintained and take into account wages.....BUT.....when interest rates are where they tend to be for NZ then morgages are even more expensive (in relative terms).
This is at least partly because the IRD lets landlords write off "losses" on rental properties against their income tax liablities and there is still no capital gains tax on rental properties so the landlords (and hopefully their tenants) are being subsidised by the NZ tax payer.
This may well change in the not too distant future though.........
Old Nov 10th 2009, 10:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

Justcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond repute

Property prices havent always been at the level they are now
and many kiwi's could afford to buy if the wanted to.
The fact that thay choose to continue to rent, in my opinion gives
me the right to tell them to shut ****** up when they start moaning about house prices.
I arrived here with money in the bank because in the past i chose to buy my house
Paying the mortgage wasnt always easy but as time passed it got earier.
I sold at what was possibly the worst time to sell for years in the uk.
The paper value of the house had dropped by around £40k but i didnt care,
i still made over 300% profit on the price i'd payed 12 years earlier.
If a kiwi had done the same here he/she would be in the same position as i was.
That fact that they thought renting would be better in the long run is their own fault.
Even now when times are tough i can sleep sound in the knowledge that no matter what happens
my home is mine and i will not have to cap go in hand to anyone sponging for bennefits.

Last edited by BEVS; Nov 11th 2009 at 8:41 pm. Reason: No going round the sweary filter please.
Old Nov 11th 2009, 3:31 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

I think it may be best to move these posts re. Emma23 & finding work into a thread of their own before they get buried.
That way Emma23 can clearly see what possible help and suggestions are there for her and her partner.

Posts moved to HERE.

If you want the thread title tweaked , let me know.

---------

and now also for Kija in respect of advice about taxation and the 4 yr amnesty.
Post to be found in a new thread HERE

Last edited by BEVS; Nov 11th 2009 at 8:53 pm. Reason: Blimey ! New threads for new topics anyone ? LOL
Old Nov 11th 2009, 4:19 am
Live from CHCH...

Matewx has a reputation beyond reputeMatewx has a reputation beyond reputeMatewx has a reputation beyond reputeMatewx has a reputation beyond reputeMatewx has a reputation beyond reputeMatewx has a reputation beyond reputeMatewx has a reputation beyond reputeMatewx has a reputation beyond reputeMatewx has a reputation beyond reputeMatewx has a reputation beyond reputeMatewx has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BEVS
I think it may be best to move these posts re. Emma23 & finding work into a thread of their own before they get buried.
That way Emma23 can clearly see what possible help and suggestions are there for her and her partner.

Posts moved to HERE.

Isn't she just great our little BEVS...
Old Nov 11th 2009, 8:27 am
Just Joined

emma23 is a jewel in the roughemma23 is a jewel in the roughemma23 is a jewel in the roughemma23 is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by BEVS

Posts moved to HERE.

Thank you for that! (",)
Old Nov 11th 2009, 4:51 pm
Just Joined

Transient is just really niceTransient is just really niceTransient is just really niceTransient is just really niceTransient is just really niceTransient is just really niceTransient is just really niceTransient is just really niceTransient is just really nice

Originally Posted by colandros
The fact that thay choose to continue to rent, in my opinion gives
me the right to tell them to shut ***** up when they start moaning about
house prices.
Eh? Has someone who stayed out of the housing market because they thought the whole thing was overheated and prices too high (an opinion rather supported by the evidence) wronged you in some way? If someone maintains the opinion that house prices are out of alignment with the rest of the economy how does that give you a "right" to tell them to "shut ****** up" because they didn't ignore their own opinion and buy? Your position is just weird.

If I went into a shop on Monday, found that oranges are a quid each and considered that too expensive, am I supposed to stop thinking they're too expensive on Friday when they're a fiver? If I still think they're expensive, what sort of response would I deserve?

"Wow, I don't know how people can afford these oranges."

"Shut ***** up! You should have bought them on Monday. I bought lots of oranges on Monday with my credit card, they're not expensive. Bloody scrounger!"

Talk about wanting to pull the ladder up behind you.

Last edited by BEVS; Nov 11th 2009 at 8:43 pm. Reason: Sweary filter.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.