Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Wanted Down Under - NZ

Wanted Down Under - NZ

Old Jan 7th 2010, 9:58 am
BE Forum Addict

Margaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Wanted Down Under - NZ

Well surprise surprise they decided not go to NZ.
Old Jan 7th 2010, 10:02 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

I couldn't see the show so it means not much to me.
anyone want to enlighten me as to who they were and why they decided against it.
Old Jan 7th 2010, 10:12 am
BE Forum Addict

Margaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BEVS
I couldn't see the show so it means not much to me.
anyone want to enlighten me as to who they were and why they decided against it.
In short the husband would have gone even though they would have struggled money wise but his wife & 2 young daughters could not bear to leave family & friends.

He owned & ran a pub in the UK and worked approx 65 hours per week and saw little of his family. He wanted to have his own vinery eventually in NZ.
Old Jan 7th 2010, 10:21 am
Forum Regular

jjthefridge has much to be proud ofjjthefridge has much to be proud ofjjthefridge has much to be proud ofjjthefridge has much to be proud ofjjthefridge has much to be proud ofjjthefridge has much to be proud ofjjthefridge has much to be proud ofjjthefridge has much to be proud ofjjthefridge has much to be proud ofjjthefridge has much to be proud ofjjthefridge has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Margaret Parkinson
In short the husband would have gone even though they would have struggled money wise but his wife & 2 young daughters could not bear to leave family & friends.

He owned & ran a pub in the UK and worked approx 65 hours per week and saw little of his family. He wanted to have his own vinery eventually in NZ.
hi,

makes you wonder if the bbc, actually resecerch any of the people before sending them out, i remember an ex proffesional football player on there with alot of money who wouldn't jump at going abroad, its starting to get boring now.

j.j.
Old Jan 7th 2010, 10:22 am
BE Enthusiast

dannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond repute

Not sure why they chose Auckland - his dream was to work/own a vineyard. I think they wanted to be by a big city, they come from Reading. They had £165,000 equity, but as he would have to start over again in terms of his job he would have only been on $12.00 per/hour. She was a teacher, they had three kids, youngest 10 months. For a short term sacrifice am sure they could have done it but it became apparent the sacrifice wasn't worth it to them as a family.

FWIW I think they made the correct decision - yes their lifestyle would have improved BUT I think they may have lost a lot more in terms of support etc. It was a good programme because they took a very sensible approach and it actually showed the reality of doing the sums!!!! The sums did add up - just !!! It was very tight moneywise but it meant a huge sacrifice and I think in the end they felt that they would try and improve their lifestyle in the UK.

The only thing that annoys me a bit is the accommodation they stayed in was out of this world - kind of sets them up to fail re housing in NZ. The woman did say she much preferred the housing in the UK - their house in Reading was lovely!
Old Jan 7th 2010, 10:26 am
BE Enthusiast

dannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jjthefridge
hi,

makes you wonder if the bbc, actually resecerch any of the people before sending them out, i remember an ex proffesional football player on there with alot of money who wouldn't jump at going abroad, its starting to get boring now.

j.j.
Actually I think it was reasonably realistic, they had made a good life financially for themselves in the UK, this came at a high price as the husband did not get to see his family as much as he wanted. This show did not come down to money it came down to the fact that they could not bear to be away from their families. I think it was an itch they had to scratch, better to try it out before you move three kids overseas only to return 6 months later. There are always cringeworthy moments though!
Old Jan 7th 2010, 11:45 am
BE Enthusiast

ukkiwi is just really niceukkiwi is just really niceukkiwi is just really niceukkiwi is just really niceukkiwi is just really niceukkiwi is just really niceukkiwi is just really niceukkiwi is just really niceukkiwi is just really niceukkiwi is just really niceukkiwi is just really nice

Originally Posted by dannigirl
Not sure why they chose Auckland - his dream was to work/own a vineyard. I think they wanted to be by a big city, they come from Reading. They had £165,000 equity, but as he would have to start over again in terms of his job he would have only been on $12.00 per/hour. She was a teacher, they had three kids, youngest 10 months. For a short term sacrifice am sure they could have done it but it became apparent the sacrifice wasn't worth it to them as a family.

FWIW I think they made the correct decision - yes their lifestyle would have improved BUT I think they may have lost a lot more in terms of support etc. It was a good programme because they took a very sensible approach and it actually showed the reality of doing the sums!!!! The sums did add up - just !!! It was very tight moneywise but it meant a huge sacrifice and I think in the end they felt that they would try and improve their lifestyle in the UK.

The only thing that annoys me a bit is the accommodation they stayed in was out of this world - kind of sets them up to fail re housing in NZ. The woman did say she much preferred the housing in the UK - their house in Reading was lovely!
Yep the house must of been worth $1.5m+ - everything else they were shown looked a bit cr4p in comparision.
Old Jan 7th 2010, 11:53 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ukkiwi
Yep the house must of been worth $1.5m+ - everything else they were shown looked a bit cr4p in comparision.
Yep that house was lush!!!
Old Jan 7th 2010, 1:39 pm
Life is what YOU make it.

Stormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by george toni
they should just call this crap 'holiday down under' IMO as it is about as much use to a potential move here as watching a good holiday show.

Sure it gives breif glimpses of things here but thats about it.

Where do they get these people from. Id say most are just freeloading for a free holiday with no intention of moving here.

george
Just watched it.......now I think I'll go along with George Toni!
Old Jan 7th 2010, 1:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Stormer999
Just watched it.......now I think I'll go along with George Toni!
Not sure I would want my holiday filled with looking at houses, going for job interivews, looking at the cost of living etc. Someone on the aussie board got into the show and he said it was a week of 'working' 9-5pm. It is telly so I guess it is supposed to entertain us at home watching - I think it has got a lot better, it used to be terrible for setting people up to fail. They still show 'aspirational' aspects though but most people would be able to see through those (hopefully).

I still give it a because I am just sad, snowed and iced in and enjoy the element of escapism!! ha ha
Old Jan 7th 2010, 1:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

Heres what Looby Highland had to say to me about appearing in the programme last year.

"Hi June, thanks for your reply. The programme is BBC's Wanted Down Under, and is being aired in Jan/Feb 2009. We were so lucky to be chosen, and are making the most of the opportunity. There are 20 families in total, and I believe over 5000 applied! Only 7 out of the 20 families are going to New Zealand. Australia seems to be the favourite for some reason. We live in Caithness in the Scottish Highlands, and for us New Zealand is the dream! Very difficult decisions ahead - my head is bursting!!

We're spending the first week based in New Plymouth as my husbands hoping to get work in the oil & gas industry (he's an Electrical Engineer - just left the navy after 22yrs). The second week we've only got five days (boo) so we're going to Wellington, then Lake Taupo, Rotarua, then across to Waitomo Caves then up to Auckland for our Friday flight. If we'd had more time we definitely would have popped to Tauranga and said 'hello' as I think its fantastic to meet new people and make new friends. I hope you have a wonderful time out there, and if you do see us on the telly please take no notice if they make us out to be horrible (we're not really!). Apparently in order to make 'good' tv they cut and paste it about to make it more entertaining!! Lovely talking with you, all the very best, Lou x"

As I said in an earlier post the did settle in New Plymouth.

I think the 1st week is for TV and the 2nd week they can do what they like.
Old Jan 7th 2010, 2:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

Perry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jjthefridge
Hi,

Yuk, its really making me feel sick watching this programm, oh look people with money, going to do dream jobs not the real world, sorry but it cost me £4k to spend 3 weeks in nz, finding jobs sorry but if you've got to work long hours to earn a decent wage, then you ain't going to be at home, wake up and smell the coffee, turned it over, still flamming cold though.

j.j.
I saw the one where they went to Darwin, I thought hang on, I may have picked the wrong country!
Old Jan 7th 2010, 3:01 pm
BE Enthusiast

Perry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond repute

Well surprise surprise they decided not go to NZ.
We are in almost exactly the same situation as them, only with one less kid! That moment when their jaws dropped at the money side of things could have been filmed at our place! Sadly we are showing Union Jack side of the card too at the moment.
Old Jan 7th 2010, 3:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

What I did notice as well was the exchange rate being mentioned and having a big influence on their decision. When we were there last January/March we got $2.80 we will be lucky if we get $2.10 when we go in 2 weeks time. We shall need quite a bit more spending money for the 6 weeks we are there.
Old Jan 7th 2010, 6:24 pm
Just Joined

rads is just really nicerads is just really nicerads is just really nicerads is just really nicerads is just really nicerads is just really nicerads is just really nicerads is just really nice

Originally Posted by BEVS
I dunno George.

We had someone on here who did the show . 'Ten Million Miles Away ' or summat like that. They now live here happily....at least I think they do.
Correct me if I am wrong anyone.

There was the couple with young kids , donkeys years back , who did the franchise thing in Tauranga and are still here . I didn't rate that much if I am honest and certainly was not a fan of having people pay for reading about the experience. I will always prefer to give anything I have that could help for free.

However, when all is said and done the families do still have to go through the NZIS mill in order to remain here as PRs.

It would be great if they were to pick a family who had to go the SMC route and had anMA referral for some reason, but they won't. It is just like the fashion makeovers where they pick certain shapes . That's TV and makes for viewers.

They pick the ones least likely to have the normal hurdles , although a LTBV is not for the faint hearted it has to be said .

Thinking back to when we decided to come out, we just soaked up everything about emigrating and that was just great. We enjoyed that greatly even though we had been here and Oz before. We just loved anything and everything on TV about showing us the country or about people's lives here or about hopeful migrants. This wasn't necessarily about NZ or Oz ,it was about France and Spain and Canada too.

I think the programmes are great fun in a way. Take them with a pinch of salt but look behind for a glimpse of what you hope for
i think that family who did the franchise thing might of been the godards if it is he now runs a business in NZ helping people emigrate to NZ

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.