Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Wanted Down Under - NZ

Wanted Down Under - NZ

Old Jan 9th 2010, 7:10 am
Scorchy legs

Dewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Wanted Down Under - NZ

Originally Posted by dannigirl
She was a very bright seven year old, I loved it when she said "I know that if I say I don't want to go then mummy won't go...." Think it will be interesting when she is a teenager. They gave her far too much power, input yes decision making power NO.
rod & back spring to mind

Dewb
Old Jan 9th 2010, 7:14 am
Scorchy legs

Dewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by george toni
bloody stupid giving a seven year old a say in a move like that.

IMO doomed from the start if thats what you base a move like this on.

who they flying here with 'Big Bird airways' all luggage packed in Dora the explorer case staying once here in the Tele Tubbie motel!

There lies the problem with kids today they know it all by the age of 7!

heck in my day you had to be at least ten before you got that status

george
Old Jan 9th 2010, 6:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

Psychopandy is a splendid one to beholdPsychopandy is a splendid one to beholdPsychopandy is a splendid one to beholdPsychopandy is a splendid one to beholdPsychopandy is a splendid one to beholdPsychopandy is a splendid one to beholdPsychopandy is a splendid one to beholdPsychopandy is a splendid one to beholdPsychopandy is a splendid one to beholdPsychopandy is a splendid one to beholdPsychopandy is a splendid one to behold

I agree with everything you said. We have just watched the programme (well last night actually) but she was way to 'up herself'.

We have moved here with an 8 and 12 year old and have kept them informed of everything right the way through the process. Wven taking them out of school to view the rental houses when we sold our UK house back in May 08. But to base the whole move on our very temperamental 8 year old - i dont think so.

Since we have been here we have had a couple of teary moments (one about his steak and chips for tea last night 'cos it wasnt like we have at home) but on the whole he is loving it. And so is his brother.

We just need to get into a routine and make friends - and when the container arrives with all their 'stuff' they will be just fine. xx

On another note - i recently helped out in the making of one of the 'wanted down under' programmes - for Australia. A couple from the area that i worked in as an estate agent were moving there and as a 'new' feature to next years programmes they are adding a small piece about the posssible 'value' of their current home. And guess who did it .....me . was good for a giggle but i aint telling you who they are or where they are from so you cant all take the **** when it airs next year. CHEESY springs to mind x

All the best

Psycho x
Old Jan 9th 2010, 6:53 pm
Scorchy legs

Originally Posted by Psychopandy
I.

On another note - i recently helped out in the making of one of the 'wanted down under' programmes - for Australia. A couple from the area that i worked in as an estate agent were moving there and as a 'new' feature to next years programmes they are adding a small piece about the posssible 'value' of their current home. And guess who did it .....me . was good for a giggle but i aint telling you who they are or where they are from so you cant all take the **** when it airs next year. CHEESY springs to mind x

All the best

Psycho x
Ohhhhh you tease

Dewb
Old Jan 9th 2010, 7:12 pm
MnB

MnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond repute

I agree with everything you said. We have just watched the programme (well last night actually) but she was way to 'up herself'.

We have moved here with an 8 and 12 year old and have kept them informed of everything right the way through the process. Wven taking them out of school to view the rental houses when we sold our UK house back in May 08. But to base the whole move on our very temperamental 8 year old - i dont think so.

Since we have been here we have had a couple of teary moments (one about his steak and chips for tea last night 'cos it wasnt like we have at home) but on the whole he is loving it. And so is his brother.

We just need to get into a routine and make friends - and when the container arrives with all their 'stuff' they will be just fine. xx

All the best

Psycho x

By the time it comes out a few of us will hopefully have met you so unless you were in disguise ( maybe a fairy costume?! ) chances are we will be saying ' there's psycho!!'......be prepared for the **** taking!!

Sounds like you're all gradually settling into kiwi life and enjoying it, have a good time at the meet up and tell us all about it!!
lol B x
Old Jan 10th 2010, 9:40 pm
Forum Regular

aalls73 has much to be proud ofaalls73 has much to be proud ofaalls73 has much to be proud ofaalls73 has much to be proud ofaalls73 has much to be proud ofaalls73 has much to be proud ofaalls73 has much to be proud ofaalls73 has much to be proud ofaalls73 has much to be proud ofaalls73 has much to be proud ofaalls73 has much to be proud of

New series of this starts in the UK on 11th Jan at 10.30 am on BBC 1
Old Jan 11th 2010, 9:02 am
BE Enthusiast

ukkiwi is just really niceukkiwi is just really niceukkiwi is just really niceukkiwi is just really niceukkiwi is just really niceukkiwi is just really niceukkiwi is just really niceukkiwi is just really niceukkiwi is just really niceukkiwi is just really niceukkiwi is just really nice

Originally Posted by aalls73
New series of this starts in the UK on 11th Jan at 10.30 am on BBC 1
It started on the 4th -hence this thread
Old Jan 11th 2010, 5:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

Psychopandy is a splendid one to beholdPsychopandy is a splendid one to beholdPsychopandy is a splendid one to beholdPsychopandy is a splendid one to beholdPsychopandy is a splendid one to beholdPsychopandy is a splendid one to beholdPsychopandy is a splendid one to beholdPsychopandy is a splendid one to beholdPsychopandy is a splendid one to beholdPsychopandy is a splendid one to beholdPsychopandy is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by MnB

By the time it comes out a few of us will hopefully have met you so unless you were in disguise ( maybe a fairy costume?! ) chances are we will be saying ' there's psycho!!'......be prepared for the **** taking!!

Sounds like you're all gradually settling into kiwi life and enjoying it, have a good time at the meet up and tell us all about it!!
lol B x
Am settling in fantastic thanks

If you thinks people will recognise me, i may stop going out i reckon before it airs they will edit me out anyway x

We had our first visitor yesterday, our doorbell went at around 7.30 last night and my youngest is going whos that ?, whos that? in a bit of a flap!! and it was newfies come for coffee - how lovely xx

xx psycho xx
Old Jan 11th 2010, 6:50 pm
MnB

MnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond repute

Am settling in fantastic thanks

If you thinks people will recognise me, i may stop going out i reckon before it airs they will edit me out anyway x

We had our first visitor yesterday, our doorbell went at around 7.30 last night and my youngest is going whos that ?, whos that? in a bit of a flap!! and it was newfies come for coffee - how lovely xx

xx psycho xx
I'm sure your expat friends might just recognise you!!

Awww having someone call around must add to that feeling of 'we're here' .......surprised it was for coffee tho no beers? no vino? or are you just trying not to make us all really jealous
B x
Old Jan 11th 2010, 6:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by MnB
I'm sure your expat friends might just recognise you!!

Awww having someone call around must add to that feeling of 'we're here' .......surprised it was for coffee tho no beers? no vino? or are you just trying not to make us all really jealous
B x
I was on the beer, Oh was on the wine, but dear old Newfies had just finished a long hard shift and still had to drive home x

I will have to hope that as its an Australia one, no-one will bother watching it eh?

Hows your packing going - you stressing yet?
Old Jan 11th 2010, 8:42 pm
MnB

I was on the beer, Oh was on the wine, but dear old Newfies had just finished a long hard shift and still had to drive home x

I will have to hope that as its an Australia one, no-one will bother watching it eh?

Hows your packing going - you stressing yet?
Ummmm sometimes stressed sometimes wishing someone would wave a magic wand......its getting close to the point when I won't be able to think 'Sod it...I'll sort that tomorrow!!'...like packing boxes!! Shipper is delivering some tomorrow so guess I'll have to start

Just thinking we've gone a bit off topic...but then again may be not..Wanted down under never shows the really stressy bits..!!
Old Jan 11th 2010, 8:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by MnB
Ummmm sometimes stressed sometimes wishing someone would wave a magic wand......its getting close to the point when I won't be able to think 'Sod it...I'll sort that tomorrow!!'...like packing boxes!! Shipper is delivering some tomorrow so guess I'll have to start

Just thinking we've gone a bit off topic...but then again may be not..Wanted down under never shows the really stressy bits..!!
Dont worry it will be over soon and then the fun can begin x

You are right there. I was watching it the other night going but what about that, and what about this and that just isnt real - and i, like a few others, thought the house they put them in was going to leave them feeling a bit let down, when they realised what they could actually afford.
And one bit when they were on about what they could/couldnt afford to live in in Auckland etc. im telling the telly well why dont they live in the country then - or someplace else.
And i thought it a little unrealistic to 'expect' to be able to fly a family of 5 back to the UK every year to catch up. If they are really that close to family they shouldnt have been considering it really x
To be fair i think in the end they made the right decision, the little kid may have been a bit up herself but she did have a point when whe said that they could spend more time together at home - all he needed to do was find a different job.
I will now get back off my soap box and put the kettle on to have a cup of tetley tea with the tea bags we smuggled over xx (its ok we declared them )
Psycho
Old Jan 11th 2010, 8:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

Margaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond repute

Dont worry it will be over soon and then the fun can begin x

You are right there. I was watching it the other night going but what about that, and what about this and that just isnt real - and i, like a few others, thought the house they put them in was going to leave them feeling a bit let down, when they realised what they could actually afford.
And one bit when they were on about what they could/couldnt afford to live in in Auckland etc. im telling the telly well why dont they live in the country then - or someplace else.
And i thought it a little unrealistic to 'expect' to be able to fly a family of 5 back to the UK every year to catch up. If they are really that close to family they shouldnt have been considering it really x
To be fair i think in the end they made the right decision, the little kid may have been a bit up herself but she did have a point when whe said that they could spend more time together at home - all he needed to do was find a different job.
I will now get back off my soap box and put the kettle on to have a cup of tetley tea with the tea bags we smuggled over xx (its ok we declared them )
Psycho
That's a point are we not allowed to take tea bags. I have some ready to put in the case together with the Bisto Gravy Granules we always have to take. Personally I could live without the granules but I do miss my tea so thought we would take our own this time.
Old Jan 11th 2010, 9:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Margaret Parkinson
That's a point are we not allowed to take tea bags. I have some ready to put in the case together with the Bisto Gravy Granules we always have to take. Personally I could live without the granules but I do miss my tea so thought we would take our own this time.
When OH came over in May he was asked to bring tea bags and chocolate for the cousin he was staying with. He declared both coming through customs and the man said they were fine - so we thought that we could put some in the container - but the Crown man said NO - wasnt happy but there you go.
So we carried them through - no problems (apart from the excess weight!)
Not sure about the gravy granules - but i would say give it a try cos you may struggle to get them here x we are - had cottage pie for tea last night and we had oxo but that doesnt make a decent gravy x
The customs man was asking about meat, fruit and spices, and wanted to know if we had footie boots n wellies (mud i guess) but wasnt bothered by the tea bags
Old Jan 11th 2010, 10:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

Margaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond repute

When OH came over in May he was asked to bring tea bags and chocolate for the cousin he was staying with. He declared both coming through customs and the man said they were fine - so we thought that we could put some in the container - but the Crown man said NO - wasnt happy but there you go.
So we carried them through - no problems (apart from the excess weight!)
Not sure about the gravy granules - but i would say give it a try cos you may struggle to get them here x we are - had cottage pie for tea last night and we had oxo but that doesnt make a decent gravy x
The customs man was asking about meat, fruit and spices, and wanted to know if we had footie boots n wellies (mud i guess) but wasnt bothered by the tea bags
We have taken the gravy granules each time we have been with no problems. The reason we take the granules is we get 2 for a £1 in Tesco and they sell $7 each in NZ so my daughter says.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.