British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   Wanted Down Under - NZ (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/wanted-down-under-nz-647297/)

ukkiwi Jan 4th 2010 10:03 am

Wanted Down Under - NZ

New NZ episode goes out Thursday 7th Jan @ 10:00 am UK.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00pwn6v

dave77 Jan 4th 2010 4:46 pm

Re: Wanted Down Under - NZ

Originally Posted by ukkiwi (Post 8217007)
New NZ episode goes out Thursday 7th Jan @ 10:00 am UK.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00pwn6v

I shall be watching!!:thumbup:

Its in Auckland I believe

Dewb09 Jan 4th 2010 4:54 pm

Oooooo thanks for that I love this programme :thumbsup:

Dewb

MnB Jan 4th 2010 5:50 pm

Originally Posted by Dewb09 (Post 8217777)
Oooooo thanks for that I love this programme :thumbsup:

Dewb

:thumbsup::thumbsup:
Great b'day pressie for Mark!! Thanks for the heads up on this:lol:

jjthefridge Jan 4th 2010 6:03 pm

oh dear, even though they are taking skills and trades off skills shortage list they still put this on, so other people can have dreams that get shot down in flames by a hopeless nz government.

rant over, i have a job so i can't watch it, someone in the uk wants me!!!!!!!!!!

willand tina_h Jan 4th 2010 8:42 pm

Originally Posted by jjthefridge (Post 8217979)
oh dear, even though they are taking skills and trades off skills shortage list they still put this on, so other people can have dreams that get shot down in flames by a hopeless nz government.

rant over, i have a job so i can't watch it, someone in the uk wants me!!!!!!!!!!

I am working that day, have the rest of the week off with anual leave, typical eh??? Will record it will not miss it!!!!

Tina. x

BEVS Jan 4th 2010 9:01 pm

Originally Posted by jjthefridge (Post 8217979)
oh dear, even though they are taking skills and trades off skills shortage list they still put this on,!

The family aren't looking at the SMC route from the article I read. They seem more LTBV possibly or even investment.

george toni Jan 5th 2010 12:17 am

they should just call this crap 'holiday down under' IMO as it is about as much use to a potential move here as watching a good holiday show.

Sure it gives breif glimpses of things here but thats about it.

Where do they get these people from. Id say most are just freeloading for a free holiday with no intention of moving here.

george

BEVS Jan 5th 2010 5:18 am

I dunno George.

We had someone on here who did the show . 'Ten Million Miles Away ' or summat like that. They now live here happily....at least I think they do.
Correct me if I am wrong anyone.

There was the couple with young kids , donkeys years back , who did the franchise thing in Tauranga and are still here . I didn't rate that much if I am honest and certainly was not a fan of having people pay for reading about the experience. I will always prefer to give anything I have that could help for free.

However, when all is said and done the families do still have to go through the NZIS mill in order to remain here as PRs.

It would be great if they were to pick a family who had to go the SMC route and had anMA referral for some reason, but they won't. It is just like the fashion makeovers where they pick certain shapes . That's TV and makes for viewers.

They pick the ones least likely to have the normal hurdles , although a LTBV is not for the faint hearted it has to be said .

Thinking back to when we decided to come out, we just soaked up everything about emigrating and that was just great. We enjoyed that greatly even though we had been here and Oz before. We just loved anything and everything on TV about showing us the country or about people's lives here or about hopeful migrants. This wasn't necessarily about NZ or Oz ,it was about France and Spain and Canada too.

I think the programmes are great fun in a way. Take them with a pinch of salt but look behind for a glimpse of what you hope for

MnB Jan 5th 2010 10:06 am

Originally Posted by BEVS (Post 8219238)
I dunno George.

Thinking back to when we decided to come out, we just soaked up everything about emigrating and that was just great. We enjoyed that greatly even though we had been here and Oz before. We just loved anything and everything on TV about showing us the country or about people's lives here or about hopeful migrants. This wasn't necessarily about NZ or Oz ,it was about France and Spain and Canada too.

I think the programmes are great fun in a way. Take them with a pinch of salt but look behind for a glimpse of what you hope for

:thumbsup::thumbsup:
Exactly Bevs!!.....same reasons we watch the re-runs of Billy Connoly in NZ, its not about the process more about the place.
:lol: B x

Margaret Parkinson Jan 5th 2010 10:24 am

There was someone on here called "LoobyHighland" who was on this programme last year and I am sure they settled in New Plymouth.

Dewb09 Jan 5th 2010 6:27 pm

Originally Posted by BEVS (Post 8219238)

:thumbsup: precisely

Dewb

ukkiwi Jan 7th 2010 8:45 am

Just bumping to remind anyone interested in the NZ episode...

dannigirl Jan 7th 2010 9:12 am

Originally Posted by ukkiwi (Post 8225469)
Just bumping to remind anyone interested in the NZ episode...

Am watching it - should be doing work!

jjthefridge Jan 7th 2010 9:16 am

Hi,

Yuk, its really making me feel sick watching this programm, oh look people with money, going to do dream jobs not the real world, sorry but it cost me £4k to spend 3 weeks in nz, finding jobs sorry but if you've got to work long hours to earn a decent wage, then you ain't going to be at home, wake up and smell the coffee, turned it over, still flamming cold though.

j.j.