Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Teacher training...UK or NZ

Teacher training...UK or NZ

Old May 2nd 2010, 6:38 am
BE Forum Addict

helinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Teacher training...UK or NZ

Originally Posted by RobClubley
My wife did the one year post-graduate teaching course in Wellington and has been teaching primary for 2 years now. She just got her full registration.

Apparently an NZ qualification lets you teach anywhere in the world.

The student loan for the course fees will be paid eventually!
I work in a school and the teachers there have said that their NZ teaching qualification wasn't recognised in UK when they went over for their OE?
Old May 2nd 2010, 6:45 am
BE Forum Addict

helinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fitzandindiana
my daughter is about to start her Cache Diploma in early years child care, is this recognised in New Zealand as she is wanting to work with young children when we come to NZ in two years time?
No the cache ECC is not recognised. I was NNEB in UK and asked Cache to write a letter stating that I had kept my NNEB updated to Cache standard (I was a SENCO in a nursery ), but was told I need a degree in early childhood yrs to work here. I work as a teacher aide here now, If your daughter could take a degree that would help her, or take it when you arrive here
Old May 7th 2010, 8:18 pm
Just Joined

cybershaun is an unknown quantity at this point

Is English as a second language offered in NZ primary and secondary schools?
Old May 8th 2010, 12:39 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by cybershaun
Is English as a second language offered in NZ primary and secondary schools?
Yes some school do offer English classes. Also, some schools 'host' international students so have ESOL teachers available.
Old Mar 30th 2011, 8:58 am
Just Joined

helenmy21 is an unknown quantity at this point

Please help. I am confused!

I am wanting to get residency in New Zealand and want to be an early childhood teacher.

I have a degree in an unrealted subject but can't afford to study early childhood in New Zealand as a non-resident!

I am going back to the Uk to study but I don't know what course to study.

The NZ Teachers council said I needed to study a PGCE in early childhood teaching but there doesn't seem to be such a thing!!! Only from 3- 7 years old and not from birth!!!! Or I can be a nursery nurse but that will not be a PGCE.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated as I don't want to waste a year or two studying something that is a total waste of time!!!

Thanks.
Old Mar 30th 2011, 9:19 am
BE Forum Addict

j19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by helenmy21
Please help. I am confused!

I am wanting to get residency in New Zealand and want to be an early childhood teacher.

I have a degree in an unrealted subject but can't afford to study early childhood in New Zealand as a non-resident!

I am going back to the Uk to study but I don't know what course to study.

The NZ Teachers council said I needed to study a PGCE in early childhood teaching but there doesn't seem to be such a thing!!! Only from 3- 7 years old and not from birth!!!! Or I can be a nursery nurse but that will not be a PGCE.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated as I don't want to waste a year or two studying something that is a total waste of time!!!

Thanks.
At the moment, as I understand it, NZ do not recognise Early Years qualifications from UK. Be it an add on to a teaching degree or anything else.
Try contacting the Ministry of Education in Wellington by email, they really are very helpful, not at all Governmentish!!
Good luck and keep us informed.
Old Mar 30th 2011, 10:24 am
Just Joined

helenmy21 is an unknown quantity at this point

Oh no, that is not good news!!! Thanks for the advice. Will let you know what they say.
Old Mar 30th 2011, 10:43 am
BE Forum Addict

j19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by helenmy21
Oh no, that is not good news!!! Thanks for the advice. Will let you know what they say.
Sorry to have sounded negative They really are helpful - so unlike the UK Govt !
Old Mar 30th 2011, 3:55 pm
Forum Regular

4pommes is a splendid one to behold4pommes is a splendid one to behold4pommes is a splendid one to behold4pommes is a splendid one to behold4pommes is a splendid one to behold4pommes is a splendid one to behold4pommes is a splendid one to behold4pommes is a splendid one to behold4pommes is a splendid one to behold4pommes is a splendid one to behold4pommes is a splendid one to behold

If you want to work with under 5 year olds then for sole PR you need a level 7 equivalent hons/degree in Early Years. An honours can be argued at an NZ level 7.

If you are applying to work in NZ for any other type of visa then you may not have extra points applied unless you have an Early Years honours degree, although you may get a visa alongside a partner who is the main applicant.

Hope this makes sense......
Old Mar 31st 2011, 7:35 pm
---

bourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond repute

To the op- if you have the choice of training here or in the UK and you want to live and work here I'd suggest getting at least some of your training here. The system and ethos is VERY different to the UK and I think it will be useful to you and your future students to understand some of the theoretical underpinnings of the NZ system. Not meaning to sound dismissive of those who are UK trained, not at all