Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Teacher training...UK or NZ

Teacher training...UK or NZ

Old Jan 26th 2010, 8:03 am
Forum Regular

4pommes is a splendid one to behold4pommes is a splendid one to behold4pommes is a splendid one to behold4pommes is a splendid one to behold4pommes is a splendid one to behold4pommes is a splendid one to behold4pommes is a splendid one to behold4pommes is a splendid one to behold4pommes is a splendid one to behold4pommes is a splendid one to behold4pommes is a splendid one to behold
Default Teacher training...UK or NZ

My Early Years Education qualifications don't mean much in NZ so I'll have to retrain as a Primary Teacher.

I could train in the UK, 4 years or NZ similar timescale.

Anyone any experiences of NZ teacher training??

Thanks!!
Old Jan 26th 2010, 9:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

MOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Teacher training...UK or NZ

Hi (again!)

I would say, if you ultimately want to settle and teach in NZ then it makes sense to train in NZ as schools are different here. If you're coming to the north island then the University of Waikato does a 3 year extramural course or Massey University in Wellington do it in 4 years. Victoria University in Wellington also do it, but not extramurally.

My 1st year starts on 15th Feb so I can let you know what it's like next month.
Old Jan 27th 2010, 8:46 am
Forum Regular

4pommes is a splendid one to behold4pommes is a splendid one to behold4pommes is a splendid one to behold4pommes is a splendid one to behold4pommes is a splendid one to behold4pommes is a splendid one to behold4pommes is a splendid one to behold4pommes is a splendid one to behold4pommes is a splendid one to behold4pommes is a splendid one to behold4pommes is a splendid one to behold

Thanks for the reply.

I've noticed that there's a skills shortage of early years teachers, which is my preference. I do have a NVQ Level 4 Early Years/Child Care and education but guess this is unsuitable.....I would need the Bachelor of Education (Teaching) - Early Years (Birth to Eight) (BEd(Tchg) Early Years) .

If so then my only option would be to train in NZ...course costs £9500!!!

Not even sure which visa to apply for yet as different options at high prices! All depends on where I train and when.....could apply as sibling but may take over 2 years....

Last edited by 4pommes; Jan 27th 2010 at 9:06 am.
Old Jan 27th 2010, 6:35 pm
Happy in Wellington

RobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond repute

My wife did the one year post-graduate teaching course in Wellington and has been teaching primary for 2 years now. She just got her full registration.

Apparently an NZ qualification lets you teach anywhere in the world.

The student loan for the course fees will be paid eventually!
Old Jan 27th 2010, 11:08 pm
Forum Regular

dave77 is just really nicedave77 is just really nicedave77 is just really nicedave77 is just really nicedave77 is just really nicedave77 is just really nicedave77 is just really nicedave77 is just really nicedave77 is just really nicedave77 is just really nicedave77 is just really nice

Originally Posted by RobClubley
My wife did the one year post-graduate teaching course in Wellington and has been teaching primary for 2 years now. She just got her full registration.

Sorry for cutting in on this thread

Rob, my wife is looking at doing the 1 year post grad course when/if we finally arrive in ChCh! NZ doesn't recognise her UK teaching quals (Graduate Teachers Program not PGCE)

Just wondered what the entry requirements are for the course? My wife got a 2:2 in her UK degree and I'm worried it may not be enough for entry onto the course

How did she find the course?
Old Jan 27th 2010, 11:56 pm
Happy in Wellington

RobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dave77
Sorry for cutting in on this thread

Rob, my wife is looking at doing the 1 year post grad course when/if we finally arrive in ChCh! NZ doesn't recognise her UK teaching quals (Graduate Teachers Program not PGCE)

Just wondered what the entry requirements are for the course? My wife got a 2:2 in her UK degree and I'm worried it may not be enough for entry onto the course

How did she find the course?
I might be wrong but I think as long as you have a degree that's the thing for getting onto the course. Melanie got either a 2:1 or a 2:2, can't remember.

She enjoyed the course - there was 18 weeks of being in NZ schools, several weeks of it being in charge of the class, plus lots of lectures and coursework so it's pretty hard work.
Old Jan 28th 2010, 6:03 am
Forum Regular

Cadibel has a brilliant futureCadibel has a brilliant futureCadibel has a brilliant futureCadibel has a brilliant futureCadibel has a brilliant futureCadibel has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by RobClubley

Just met a NZ teacher who said her NZ qualirication wasn't recognised in the UK - so if you plan to go back to the UK - you would have to retrain. If you had a UK degree + PGCE or BEd, these are recognised by the NZQA so you wouldn't need any further training in NZ.
Old Jan 28th 2010, 12:00 pm
Forum Regular

Heavenlyscent is a glorious beacon of lightHeavenlyscent is a glorious beacon of lightHeavenlyscent is a glorious beacon of lightHeavenlyscent is a glorious beacon of lightHeavenlyscent is a glorious beacon of lightHeavenlyscent is a glorious beacon of lightHeavenlyscent is a glorious beacon of lightHeavenlyscent is a glorious beacon of lightHeavenlyscent is a glorious beacon of lightHeavenlyscent is a glorious beacon of lightHeavenlyscent is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Cadibel
Just met a NZ teacher who said her NZ qualirication wasn't recognised in the UK - so if you plan to go back to the UK - you would have to retrain. If you had a UK degree + PGCE or BEd, these are recognised by the NZQA so you wouldn't need any further training in NZ.
I hold a History Degree, the Post Graduate Certificate in Education FE (UK qualifications) and New Zealand doesn't recognise the PGCE!!! I was in New Zealand for 2 years and could not get work!!! It is not as easy as some people think!
Old Jan 28th 2010, 12:25 pm
Forum Regular

It's so confusing isn't it!! NZ courses give me the choice of Diploma, Degree or postgrad 1 year (if I do a degree here).....

doesn't help when hubby gets cold feet because his mum will fall apart when we tell her.......
Old Jan 28th 2010, 12:51 pm
Forum Regular

dave77 is just really nicedave77 is just really nicedave77 is just really nicedave77 is just really nicedave77 is just really nicedave77 is just really nicedave77 is just really nicedave77 is just really nicedave77 is just really nicedave77 is just really nicedave77 is just really nice

Originally Posted by Heavenlyscent
I hold a History Degree, the Post Graduate Certificate in Education FE (UK qualifications) and New Zealand doesn't recognise the PGCE!!! I was in New Zealand for 2 years and could not get work!!! It is not as easy as some people think!
OMG I thought PGCE was accepted by NZQA, thats ridiculous!

You would think the 2 countries would have some mutual agreement between them about teaching quals, surely it would be in their interests

I think Mrs Dave77 will definitely be doing her teacher training in NZ, hopefully it will give her links with some primary schools too
Old Jan 29th 2010, 2:25 am
Forum Regular

Cadibel has a brilliant futureCadibel has a brilliant futureCadibel has a brilliant futureCadibel has a brilliant futureCadibel has a brilliant futureCadibel has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by dave77
OMG I thought PGCE was accepted by NZQA, thats ridiculous!

You would think the 2 countries would have some mutual agreement between them about teaching quals, surely it would be in their interests

I think Mrs Dave77 will definitely be doing her teacher training in NZ, hopefully it will give her links with some primary schools too
I think there's been a bit of misunderstanding here NZ DO recognise the PGCE - I know because I had mine recognised by NZQA and am currently working at a school in Auckland I think the qual refused was a FE PGCE (apologies if I got this wrong Heavenlyscent!) If you have a Secondary PGCE or Primary PGCE, it would be accepted (I have a PGCE in Secondary Education)

HTH!

Cadibel
Old Jan 30th 2010, 6:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

UKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by 4pommes
My Early Years Education qualifications don't mean much in NZ so I'll have to retrain as a Primary Teacher.

I could train in the UK, 4 years or NZ similar timescale.

Anyone any experiences of NZ teacher training??

Thanks!!
I'm a 2nd year Massey University student, and am currently studying for a Bachelor of Education (Teaching) Early Years (Birth to 8). My degree is a 3yr one, but it changed last year to now being a 4yr course. I did start studying for a Diploma of Teaching Early Childhood Education but transferred to study for a degree instead as it's the same amount of work, but you earn more with a degree and the Diploma isn't worth anything outside of NZ!!

I study extramurally, even though I could be an internal, as it means I'm always around for my kids if they're ill etc. and am really enjoying it. I've also been offered a job once I'm finished and this was from my 1st placement (which is also my son's Primary school). The thing I've noticed in education in NZ is that it's not what you know, but who you know! Most teachers here come recommended from other teachers.

Anyway, I've rambled enough! If you want/need any more info then just buzz. I'll try and remember to pop back in soon as I don't use these boards very much anymore. Or maybe those who know me on Facebook could let me know if I forget to come back on

Michelle

Last edited by UKNZAUS; Jan 30th 2010 at 6:56 pm.
Old Jan 30th 2010, 6:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

UKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by 4pommes
Thanks for the reply.

I've noticed that there's a skills shortage of early years teachers, which is my preference. I do have a NVQ Level 4 Early Years/Child Care and education but guess this is unsuitable.....I would need the Bachelor of Education (Teaching) - Early Years (Birth to Eight) (BEd(Tchg) Early Years) .

If so then my only option would be to train in NZ...course costs £9500!!!

Not even sure which visa to apply for yet as different options at high prices! All depends on where I train and when.....could apply as sibling but may take over 2 years....
NVQs aren't acknowledged here - I found that out the hard way! Sorry, just saw this message after I posted my other. This is the same qualification I'm working towards and it really is a good one! If you do need anything, just holler
Old Jan 31st 2010, 11:35 am
Forum Regular

Heavenlyscent is a glorious beacon of lightHeavenlyscent is a glorious beacon of lightHeavenlyscent is a glorious beacon of lightHeavenlyscent is a glorious beacon of lightHeavenlyscent is a glorious beacon of lightHeavenlyscent is a glorious beacon of lightHeavenlyscent is a glorious beacon of lightHeavenlyscent is a glorious beacon of lightHeavenlyscent is a glorious beacon of lightHeavenlyscent is a glorious beacon of lightHeavenlyscent is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Cadibel
I think there's been a bit of misunderstanding here NZ DO recognise the PGCE - I know because I had mine recognised by NZQA and am currently working at a school in Auckland I think the qual refused was a FE PGCE (apologies if I got this wrong Heavenlyscent!) If you have a Secondary PGCE or Primary PGCE, it would be accepted (I have a PGCE in Secondary Education)

HTH!

Cadibel
Hi yes u r correct. The PGCE is recognised for Primary and Secondary Education BUT NOT FOR FE (FURTHER EDUCATION AS i STATED. sORRY NOT SHOUTING
Old Jan 31st 2010, 12:21 pm
Forum Regular

Ok..I need a degree. Trying to sort this out with OU as open degree.

Would anyone recommend any of these options in particular.......

get degree here then 1 year postgraduate ECE as international student (£10,000) while applying for work to get pr

get degree and PGCE primary here, apply for pr as teacher, get job in NZ and 1 year postgrad ECE.

Thanks!! You are all so helpful!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.