Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Other peoples noise and anti-social behaviour.

Other peoples noise and anti-social behaviour.

Old May 21st 2010, 8:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

Genesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Other peoples noise and anti-social behaviours. Be warned . RANT

Originally Posted by BEVS
Right ! I am so steaming freckin' MAD What a craphole I live in. We lived in an attached row of cottages in England . All close to each other with houses over the road and we never had to go through this on a weekly basis. Our neighbours were great and , well, neighbourly.

Twenty past 1 in the morning and still the pub rock band is thumping through our house.

Noise control? Well, it seems they are out at Kateriteri.

Am I mad. Well yes. I took out the car and drove to various points around the village and the racket could be heard from all over.

Will anyone else report anything else about this? Unlikely in my experience.
Bevs I am so sorry to hear that this decibelic horror is sill ongoing. I cannot imagine what it must be like. I hate noise when I am trying to sleep..who does not?? Bev have you tried a petition signed by other neighbours or asked your local TV station or rag to lend a hand? Surely there must be a way around stopping these selfish bastards?
Old May 22nd 2010, 4:57 am

Am Loolah is an unknown quantity at this point

Awww BEVS, you poor thing.

I expect you've trawled the internet and spoken with your council at length, but just incase you haven't seen this link there's some more info there, including this quote;

"When informal action is not possible or fails, you can resolve the problem by taking formal action. The most common route involves complaining to your local council about the noise problem. Local authorities have a duty to investigate complaints of noise from premises (land and buildings) including noise from machinery or equipment. Under section 23 of the Health Act 1956 local authorities have a duty to deal with any noise which they consider to be a statutory nuisance. In dealing with a noise nuisance they will usually use the excessive noise control provisions in the Resource Management Act 1991."

Just wondering if it's worth getting to grips with section 23 as mentioned above?

It doesn't happen again tonight.
Old May 22nd 2010, 7:11 am
BE Enthusiast

Browner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond repute

Right ! I am so steaming freckin' MAD What a craphole I live in. We lived in an attached row of cottages in England . All close to each other with houses over the road and we never had to go through this on a weekly basis. Our neighbours were great and , well, neighbourly.
Agreed, thats a familiar story. Over here in NZ, no-one seems to give a stuff, the antisocial behaviour is amazing. Ive certainly noticed it heaps - I came from a busy part of England but nothing like the sort of crap that goes down here.
Old May 22nd 2010, 7:14 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

OMG !
Yes. We have spoken with the council at length.
No. No mention of section 23.
I hadn't even thought of Environmental Health. Tasman Council just focused us on keeping the peace, so to speak, by keeping a step back and going with 'reporting and 'logging'.
Not good for the health , when the urge is to sort and no messin'

Am Loo

and

Am Loo

and

Am Loo

Section 23 is now printed on me jimjams.
Old May 22nd 2010, 7:17 am
`

Originally Posted by Browner_
Agreed, thats a familiar story. Over here in NZ, no-one seems to give a stuff, the antisocial behaviour is amazing. Ive certainly noticed it heaps - I came from a busy part of England but nothing like the sort of crap that goes down here.
I don't know about yours TBH.

What I do know ..and it is personal experience.. is that we never had this before to this degree & we have had problems in the past.Nor have we ever felt so isolated. No-one wants to stand up to be counted. They prefer to keep the 'image'
Old May 22nd 2010, 7:24 am
`

Originally Posted by Genesis
Bevs I am so sorry to hear that this decibelic horror is sill ongoing. I cannot imagine what it must be like. I hate noise when I am trying to sleep..who does not?? Bev have you tried a petition signed by other neighbours or asked your local TV station or rag to lend a hand? Surely there must be a way around stopping these selfish bastards?
You are a love.

There are several and many reasons why people will not shout loud and hard about a cruddy situation.....

Adverse effect on property prices
Ability to re-sell property.
Repercussions
Friendships and relatives - who you know.
Heads in sand - nothing must tarnish Mapua reputation of a lovely village. ( give me strength)

Sponsorship by lowlife pub to village activities

and the big one for us..... after last night

Know the noise control bloke.
Old May 23rd 2010, 10:14 am

OMG !
Yes. We have spoken with the council at length.
No. No mention of section 23.
I hadn't even thought of Environmental Health. Tasman Council just focused us on keeping the peace, so to speak, by keeping a step back and going with 'reporting and 'logging'.
Not good for the health , when the urge is to sort and no messin'

Am Loo

and

Am Loo

and

Am Loo

Section 23 is now printed on me jimjams.
I shall phone you this week to test you on it!
Old May 24th 2010, 9:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

londonescapee is a glorious beacon of lightlondonescapee is a glorious beacon of lightlondonescapee is a glorious beacon of lightlondonescapee is a glorious beacon of lightlondonescapee is a glorious beacon of lightlondonescapee is a glorious beacon of lightlondonescapee is a glorious beacon of lightlondonescapee is a glorious beacon of lightlondonescapee is a glorious beacon of lightlondonescapee is a glorious beacon of lightlondonescapee is a glorious beacon of light

Know the noise control bloke.
Gosh BEVS have been reading your thread with dismay for you - and am horrified by your last statement - that's just outrageous! Everywhere I've lived in the UK I have had nightmare neighbours (domestic violence, dog fighting, drug dealing, partying, blah blah blah - Lambeth Councill quite possibly the worst council in the world) and it ruins your life.

You don't expect that when you move to NZ Everyone's given such excellent advice already on here - I'd film it to get evidence, or is that entrapment in NZ? and send it to the media, put it on Youtube and shame them publically. Anyway really really hope you get it sorted so sorry to read about all your problems. Will keep fingers and toes crossed for you.

ps - how embarassing that the pub owners happen to be British
Old May 25th 2010, 7:44 am
Forum Regular

Theyes is a name known to allTheyes is a name known to allTheyes is a name known to allTheyes is a name known to allTheyes is a name known to allTheyes is a name known to allTheyes is a name known to allTheyes is a name known to allTheyes is a name known to allTheyes is a name known to allTheyes is a name known to all

Good for you. I'm pleased you have all this.

We live at the top of a hill too and noise rises. We live at the end of a long drive on a back section. A cul de sac. We live with a paddock on two sides.

As you have read we are having a nightmare. . My house is also worth every cent we have sunk into it. It is in a lovely spot in what should be a quiet place. It was a quiet place. It isn't now.

Spare a thought . The nightmare came to us. It wasn't there when we bought our house.
Hi Bevs i have had a look at what you are going through, i had the same thing happen, the nightmare came to us. When we were thinking of buying the house we are in, we came to check what it was like.........checked various nights to see if there was any noise etc, it was a quite as the grave (even on a friday night). We moved in and for 2 months it was heaven, then the wife left and hell was rained down on us he turned into a party animal (he was heading to his 40's so not young) partying till 6.00am with very very loud bassy music and the women he hooked up with (i'm still shuddering) and dont get me started about his non stop barking dog. After one all day,night and next day party i'd had enough told him just what i thought of him it wasn't pretty, it did go quite for a bit then he was at it again, just as i thought i'd have to go round and shoot him (only joking) he put his house up for sale !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! when it went at auction it was the best day of my life. It's now a nice place to live but for those 5 months i have never come to close to wanting to harm another human being, i really hope that you get it sorted.
Old Jun 24th 2010, 9:12 pm
By name and by nature

Batty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Batty
There hasn't been a sound from next door all week. In fact, it's been eerily silent I have spoken to Council and they're 'monitoring the situation' It's so nice to be able to talk to someone who actually understands what it's like and wants to sort it out without starting world war 3! I'm only afraid that if there's an official intervention we'll end up with a horse's head on the deck or something
Came home yesterday evening and they have a FOR SALE sign outside.

Oh please GOD send them a buyer!
Old Jun 27th 2010, 11:51 pm
`

Originally Posted by Batty
Came home yesterday evening and they have a FOR SALE sign outside.

Oh please GOD send them a buyer!
I've just seen this.

for you bigtime.

We came back after a few days away to the sound of next door's bass guitar booming out over the paddock. They normally get like that after a band has been on the night before. Thankfully we missed the live band Friday night at the grot hole of a pub.
Old Jun 28th 2010, 2:59 am
By name and by nature

Batty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond repute

I've just seen this.

for you bigtime.

We came back after a few days away to the sound of next door's bass guitar booming out over the paddock. They normally get like that after a band has been on the night before. Thankfully we missed the live band Friday night at the grot hole of a pub.
Aw Bevs - although I don't advocate violence nor even any sort of aggressiveness, maybe it's the only thing these people understand. I was mortified really when my OH let rip but it shut them up and I can't say I regret it now. You can understand vigilantism in situations like this.
Old Jun 28th 2010, 12:53 pm
Banned

Amiri is an unknown quantity at this point

I feel for you both, this is the last thing one would expect in New Zealand . Hope you manage to get it sorted out.
Old Jul 23rd 2010, 11:26 am
`

Joy of joys.

I've to get up early in the morning as have something important I have to do and guess flaming well what.

The old rock band Cream, courtesy of the scumbag pub, is booming and vibrating through my house so much so that I'm having to relocate sleeping to another place entirely.

The operator at noise control at the council has been called. They will call the noise 'guard'. Will bugger all happen?

Old Jul 23rd 2010, 11:35 am

Joy of joys.

I've to get up early in the morning as have something important I have to do and guess flaming well what.

The old rock band Cream, courtesy of the scumbag pub, is booming and vibrating through my house so much so that I'm having to relocate sleeping to another place entirely.

The operator at noise control at the council has been called. They will call the noise 'guard'. Will bugger all happen?

Jeez, is this still not sorted?

Where are you relocating to my love? Do I need to make up a bed?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.