Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Other peoples noise and anti-social behaviour.

Other peoples noise and anti-social behaviour.

Old Aug 9th 2010, 9:36 am
BE Enthusiast

jennifer45 has a reputation beyond reputejennifer45 has a reputation beyond reputejennifer45 has a reputation beyond reputejennifer45 has a reputation beyond reputejennifer45 has a reputation beyond reputejennifer45 has a reputation beyond reputejennifer45 has a reputation beyond reputejennifer45 has a reputation beyond reputejennifer45 has a reputation beyond reputejennifer45 has a reputation beyond reputejennifer45 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Other peoples noise and anti-social behaviours. Be warned . RANT

Originally Posted by Expat Kiwi
Bevs if your council is letting you down so badly you could take your own action under the Resource Management Act.

But first it may be best to turn the screws on your noise control officers. A letter to the head of the dept. stating that in your opinion a statuary nuisance is regularly occurring and that is interfering with the enjoyment of your home. Include copies of your noise diaries to back that up and ask why no notices have been served on this pub setting out decibel limits or time restrictions, that are not to be breached. Emphasise that this wasn't a problem when you first moved into your home and say when it all started.

Tell the head that if no action is taken by his dept. you will be making a formal complaint about him for his failure to abate what is obviously an ongoing and habitual noise nuisance and that you also reserve the right to go to the media with your story for good measure make it obvious on the letter that you are sending copies to your MP, Mayor and local councillor.

I'd also question their policy of coming up to your boundary or sitting away from your house to witness the noise. You are not standing in your garden at 3am, you're in your bed trying to sleep and thumping bass sounds very different inside a dwelling to how it does outside.

A good way to get noise nuisances sorted is to be more of a nuisance than the people making the noise.
I'm so glad you have joined this little band of immigrants/exPats/returnees.
I would love to have you in my corner if ever I needed support and your advice to Bevs is sound. Hope she follows it up when she returns.

Old Aug 9th 2010, 9:47 am
BE Enthusiast

jennifer45 has a reputation beyond reputejennifer45 has a reputation beyond reputejennifer45 has a reputation beyond reputejennifer45 has a reputation beyond reputejennifer45 has a reputation beyond reputejennifer45 has a reputation beyond reputejennifer45 has a reputation beyond reputejennifer45 has a reputation beyond reputejennifer45 has a reputation beyond reputejennifer45 has a reputation beyond reputejennifer45 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BEVS
We get silence on Saturday mornings . Bliss ! As they sort out hangovers and catch up on sleep no doubt.
Us? We need to be up. No extra sleep for us.
So make as much noise a possible! They're catching up on sleep!!!!
Lordy lordy!
Deny them it!
You say the noise control bloke is a part time quaffer at w/e covering the whole of Tasman bays.
Let rip!
Invite friends round with teenagers on Trial bikes.
Hire some bird frighteners.
Let your imagination run free!
Or be a good neighbour go round with a pie at about 7am. Say "This is what I baked last night ,when I couldn't sleep. I was thinking of you- so please- Enjoy
Old Aug 9th 2010, 11:05 am

Am Loolah is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by jennifer45
Lordy lordy!
Deny them it!
You say the noise control bloke is a part time quaffer at w/e covering the whole of Tasman bays.
Let rip!
Invite friends round with teenagers on Trial bikes.
Hire some bird frighteners.
Let your imagination run free!
Or be a good neighbour go round with a pie at about 7am. Say "This is what I baked last night ,when I couldn't sleep. I was thinking of you- so please- Enjoy

Or you can borrow my 4 kids any weekend you want ...
Old Aug 10th 2010, 1:06 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by jennifer45
Actually, wonderful though that all sounds, that is precisely what we shouldn't be doing .

Yes. Thanks Expat Kiwi. This is the route we will now be going down. Trying to arrange a face to face meeting did not work.

Yes. The Porirua rules are very similar to those stated by the council here. We are very familiar with those rules. The problem is in getting that to happen in any form of consistant precise action. The people that make the noise are also familiar with those rules and know just how to get around them.
30 minutes extremely loud. 20 minutes quiet. 30 minutes loud etc. The noise control officers don't stay to wait. You call them. They come out when they can. They listen. They make a judgement based on what they think they hear from wherever they choose to hear it and then they go. They may or may not act. Normally they just go and request the noise is reduced. The bass turned down . There is no requirement for them to come tell you what, if anything, they have or have not done.
You get the problem again, You call them again.
Christmas we managed to get a noise abatement order for 72 hours. That was after the all night session next door.

Please note, it's now 1.00 am. We've called noise control twice. The noise went down for around 30 minutes but has wanged right on up for the last session of the night. Noise control are on their way back out .
Old Aug 10th 2010, 1:58 pm
`

They came. It lowered. It went back up. It's 2 a.m. It's booming out big time Noise control are on their way back out again.
The rest of the village MUST be able to hear this unless they are all DEAF or selectively DEAF.

Don't ask me why the pub hasn't simply been told to shut the **** up. ( Noise Directive)
Old Aug 10th 2010, 9:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

londonescapee is a glorious beacon of lightlondonescapee is a glorious beacon of lightlondonescapee is a glorious beacon of lightlondonescapee is a glorious beacon of lightlondonescapee is a glorious beacon of lightlondonescapee is a glorious beacon of lightlondonescapee is a glorious beacon of lightlondonescapee is a glorious beacon of lightlondonescapee is a glorious beacon of lightlondonescapee is a glorious beacon of lightlondonescapee is a glorious beacon of light

They came. It lowered. It went back up. It's 2 a.m. It's booming out big time Noise control are on their way back out again.
The rest of the village MUST be able to hear this unless they are all DEAF or selectively DEAF.

Don't ask me why the pub hasn't simply been told to shut the **** up. ( Noise Directive)
Oh Bevs can only offer comiserations and prayers for a convenient bolt of lightning to strike at a certain very noisy establishment? (obviously when there is no one in!)
Old Aug 11th 2010, 4:49 am
BE Enthusiast

That's what I don't understand. Other people in the village must suffer disturbance.
Was there any problem with the previous publican?
Have the new owners gone out of their way to ingratiate themselves into the 'village' social life (obviously not re- noise)?
Do the majority of 'villagers' view them as having livened up Mapua?
Are they well connected with the powers that be?

There are a number of lawyers and other professionals living not that far from the area. Are they aware of your one 'man' stand against the disruption?

I realise you don't want to appear vindictive or lower yourself to 'childish behaviour , preferring to get it sorted through the proper channels but that is taking a tad too long.
Why don't the noise/nuisance control people come into your house [as they do in other countries] take a reading over a set time and feel/record the vibrations?

I sincerely hope that it is resolved soon. This sort of problem can have a considerable effect on ones health.
Old Aug 11th 2010, 8:38 am
Banned

danjones1 is just really nicedanjones1 is just really nicedanjones1 is just really nicedanjones1 is just really nicedanjones1 is just really nicedanjones1 is just really nicedanjones1 is just really nicedanjones1 is just really nicedanjones1 is just really nicedanjones1 is just really nicedanjones1 is just really nice

Instead of getting upset I'd move away! Life's too short.
Old Aug 11th 2010, 10:36 am
Forum Regular

cleverchap is a name known to allcleverchap is a name known to allcleverchap is a name known to allcleverchap is a name known to allcleverchap is a name known to allcleverchap is a name known to allcleverchap is a name known to allcleverchap is a name known to allcleverchap is a name known to allcleverchap is a name known to allcleverchap is a name known to all

I would be doing a bit of kicking and screaming by now. I realise you don't want to be known as a whinging pom but enough is enough.

I have found that Kiwis have a culture where no-one will stand up and say something unless they have support of their family/community. There is a fear of sounding stupid so they find it best not to open their mouths, and just keep their heads down. I have recently found this with a situation at work.

If you are the person to get the ball rolling then perhaps you would suddenly find a great deal of support. I do hope you get this situation sorted out quickly.

Here are some contact details email: [email protected] or call 03 961 8562
Old Aug 13th 2010, 2:02 am
By name and by nature

Batty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cleverchap
Give fair go a call and show them his thread......they normally get there teeth into stories like this.
Bevs, this is what I think too - at least you'd feel you had taken some power back! I hope it works out for you too!
Old Aug 13th 2010, 2:55 am
Banned

Expat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond repute

All well and good but I can see two potential problems with that approach -

1. Noise control should be given a long, sharp poke first and made to us the law as it stands, otherwise it looks like Bevs is a kill-joy waging a personal war against the pub - not a great idea in a small village

2. She's British and as such is very likely to be labelled a whinging pom, which is often used an excuse to ignore someone's valid complaint. It may make the situation worse.

If you do decide to go to the press Bevs, can I suggest that you take the approach that its the council at fault here for not resolving the situation, rather than the pub? Something along the lines of .... they have a right to run their business and i have a right to the peaceful enjoyment of my home, the council are the experts on noise control here and they're failing us both.....? I have a feeling that fighting against bureaucracy will get more of a sympathetic response than fighting against the pub.

Just my thoughts.

Last edited by Expat Kiwi; Aug 13th 2010 at 3:03 am.
Old Aug 14th 2010, 2:56 am
`

Originally Posted by Expat Kiwi
All well and good but I can see two potential problems with that approach -

1. Noise control should be given a long, sharp poke first and made to us the law as it stands, otherwise it looks like Bevs is a kill-joy waging a personal war against the pub - not a great idea in a small village

2. She's British and as such is very likely to be labelled a whinging pom, which is often used an excuse to ignore someone's valid complaint. It may make the situation worse.
You have read my mind. The above is exactly why we have been holding back & limiting ourselves to communicating & logging with noise control as they had suggested.

If you do decide to go to the press Bevs, can I suggest that you take the approach that its the council at fault here for not resolving the situation, rather than the pub? Something along the lines of .... they have a right to run their business and i have a right to the peaceful enjoyment of my home, the council are the experts on noise control here and they're failing us both.....? I have a feeling that fighting against bureaucracy will get more of a sympathetic response than fighting against the pub.
This is the type of line we've been taking with Noise Control to date. We are very mindful that everyone knows everyone here. Can be actually related or inter-related in some way.

We'll be moving this along a notch or 2 now by making the complaint more formal in the way that has been suggested. This will also include the request for monitoring equipment etc.

Meanwhile.....there's a band on tonight.
Old Aug 14th 2010, 11:37 pm
Banned

Expat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond repute

How did it go last night Bevs?
Old Aug 14th 2010, 11:41 pm
Not around much..

SDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond repute

Without going through every thread..

Can't you lot call the police over and have em chew the guy out and tell him the parties over? And if he refuses he gets arrested and the music equipt gets confiscated...

No noise ordinances in place? No one enforcing them?
Old Aug 15th 2010, 3:43 am
`

Originally Posted by SDDep

Can't you lot call the police over and have em chew the guy out and tell him the parties over? And if he refuses he gets arrested and the music equipt gets confiscated...
I wish Blissville !

No noise ordinances in place? No one enforcing them?
Well.......Sorta yes and sorta no.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.