Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Other peoples noise and anti-social behaviour.

Other peoples noise and anti-social behaviour.

Old Nov 27th 2009, 7:41 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation
Default Other peoples noise and anti-social behaviour.

Just because one emigrates to NZ don't think you escape someone else's anti-social behaviours and noise.

We have been plagued by noise recently over a weekend. Even from a local hostelry which, until quite recently, the past year at least, had been fine. Well, that was when it was a restaurant and bar. It's been taken over by a couple of Brits no less. Now it is just a magnet for drunk kids with bottles in their hands in the village high street and late night noise . By that I mean 1 a.m. in the morning and beyond. Of course, with that comes the vandalism. We've been up until 4 am before now after one of their so called 'gigs'. The kiwi bush at the bottom of our shared drive was destroyed after one of these sessions.

We've had to get noise control out several times about this and they have upheld this and gone to speak with the place and people involved.

Tonight, in order to pre-empt this over this coming weekend I phoned to speak with the manager of this place. He got phone agressive and then put the phone down on me. By the time husband arrive at the pub, he had made himself scarce.

Basically I was told it was tough. He would do what he wanted to do regardless. He won't be working. In fact, no licencee will be on and they will do what they like, when they like.

There doesn't seem to be much in the way of rules about noise which intrudes on other peoples lives here.

This is making our lives a misery every other weekend at the moment.

This is a rant. I don't know what we can do . I am gutted.

We will go away this weekend now. Not because we want to. We have so much we want to do before my visitor comes. Mr BEVs had booked an extra day at home. We are going because we know the noise is coming and we got the chance to go away and get away from this and the aftermath.. In a way we are forced to as I can't take another weekend of being up at 1 and 2 a.m. in the morning .

sorry .
Rant over.
Old Nov 27th 2009, 7:46 am
BE Enthusiast

pricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Other peoples noise and anti-social behaviours. Be wanred . RANT

Oh Bevs..that sounds like a nightmare.

An idea...the cops are having a big crackdown on irresponsible drinking and irresponsible hosts over Christmas.
I would have a word with them too...maybe the community constable
Remember it's an offence to serve alcohol to intoxicated people

Just a thought...
Old Nov 27th 2009, 8:03 am
We're HERE!!!

Kija has a reputation beyond reputeKija has a reputation beyond reputeKija has a reputation beyond reputeKija has a reputation beyond reputeKija has a reputation beyond reputeKija has a reputation beyond reputeKija has a reputation beyond reputeKija has a reputation beyond reputeKija has a reputation beyond reputeKija has a reputation beyond reputeKija has a reputation beyond repute

Bevs that's simply awful! I know what it's like to have annoying neighbours and it's a nightmare. I would have thought the authorities could do something about it there, here they don't most of the time and I thought civilised countries were better. I'll send you a PM with what's happening here today, it might make you feel better
Old Nov 27th 2009, 8:10 am
`

Thanks mate. I've tried that already.

The cops here are in their beds well before 1 a.m., as we found out when kept awake until 4 a.m. following one of this so-called pubs 'do's'
This village doesn't rate, as any police that are about are deployed at Motueka.
The noise control didn't want to do anything because they 'knew the types'

Remember it's an offence to serve alcohol to intoxicated people
Maybe but you have to have someone to enforce that and there is no-one .
I'll say now that there will be no 'crackdown' in this village beyond the local banal reports in the village newsletter .
Old Nov 27th 2009, 8:21 am
We're HERE!!!

Kija has a reputation beyond reputeKija has a reputation beyond reputeKija has a reputation beyond reputeKija has a reputation beyond reputeKija has a reputation beyond reputeKija has a reputation beyond reputeKija has a reputation beyond reputeKija has a reputation beyond reputeKija has a reputation beyond reputeKija has a reputation beyond reputeKija has a reputation beyond repute

Poor Bevs
Who knows, maybe the bloke will go out of business and bugger off I really believe in karma, hopefully it will come back to bite him where it hurts
Old Nov 27th 2009, 8:25 am
BE Enthusiast

pricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Other peoples noise and anti-social behaviours. Be warned . RANT

that's really frustrating....you can complain to the council
I checked and there is definitely a strategy around safer and resposible licencing and drinking in your area
alac.org.nz/LiquorLicenseInfo
Just keep complaining to anyone that will listen. The tide is changing slowly and the Govt are listening

Last edited by pricklykina; Nov 27th 2009 at 8:37 am. Reason: buggered up the link
Old Nov 27th 2009, 8:29 am
`

Maybe. But what about NOISE from bands that are rat-arsed along with the clientèle whereby the pub managers have gone home so that rissoles whang the noise level up and down for the last hour until 1 a.m. and beyond.

Noise control will have a word. They'll tell 'em to lower the bass but when it comes to confiscation / pulling the plug etc . they will do bugger all coz the cops are in their beds and they need them to do that.

There are no community police arond when the band finished at 1 a.m. and beyond & those in the mood continue to party.
Old Nov 27th 2009, 8:32 am
We're HERE!!!

I can't believe there is no police after 1 am what if there's a crime? Bevs, I really don't know what to say, I really feel bad for you

What about other people in the area, maybe you could all get together to complain?
Old Nov 27th 2009, 8:45 am
`

Originally Posted by Kija
I can't believe there is no police after 1 am what if there's a crime? Bevs, I really don't know what to say, I really feel bad for you

What about other people in the area, maybe you could all get together to complain?
What crime . There is no really baadd crime unless you call vandalising me kiwi bush a bad crime or nicking the local kayaks off the holiday park a bad crime .
The plods go to bed or are in Motueka .
I agree about calling support of the local people. ..... but..... this is a really small place.
It is wheels within wheels here and who you know and all that. Those that would also be disturbed might feel it best to say and do nothing. It will depend on all sorts of things. Funding. Sponsorships . Even raffles.
It's insidious but as we are on the sharp end , we have no choice but to complain.
Old Nov 27th 2009, 9:03 am
happy daisy

spankysparkle has much to be proud ofspankysparkle has much to be proud ofspankysparkle has much to be proud ofspankysparkle has much to be proud ofspankysparkle has much to be proud ofspankysparkle has much to be proud ofspankysparkle has much to be proud ofspankysparkle has much to be proud ofspankysparkle has much to be proud ofspankysparkle has much to be proud ofspankysparkle has much to be proud of

So sorry to hear about this Bevs. It's really awful for you
i can't offer much help but i can say this: earplugs. you'll be amazed what a difference they make. even if it doesn't exactly solve the problem, at least you should get some sleep

we went to a rock festival where you camp with about a million other people and it was so noisy at night! the kids just kept going after the music stopped and it was like being in a war zone! us 'older kids' couldn't sleep a wink the first night, but when we used our earplugs () the next three nights we slept like babies.
try it - i hope it works for you too.
Old Nov 27th 2009, 9:14 am
`

I got the earplugs hun.
I sleep with the husband . I need the earplugs some night so I can ram them up his nostrils.
Thanks for the thought though

I think the difference is unwanted levels of noise. I ain't at a festival and I've done Knebworth in my time. I'm at home in my village wanting to get up next day and enjoy my weekend.

The other week our deaf neighbour took his campervan out , parked it up the road and slept in that. He thought it was us making the noise.

This is a a very loud bass sound which vibrates through the house, the room ,the bed. These houses are wooden. Their doors and windows are open.

They are everything we wanted to get away from. The pits.
Old Nov 27th 2009, 9:53 am
MnB

MnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond repute

Awww Bevs.....sympathy for you! How about having your own noisey party on a different night....keep the landlord awake the night before he has an early delivery!! ....battle of the bands!! .....couse this may mean you have to 'party' every week
Old Nov 27th 2009, 9:58 am
Forum Regular

ibex has much to be proud ofibex has much to be proud ofibex has much to be proud ofibex has much to be proud ofibex has much to be proud ofibex has much to be proud ofibex has much to be proud ofibex has much to be proud ofibex has much to be proud ofibex has much to be proud ofibex has much to be proud of

Why not get organised with some more neighbours? Seemingly the death fellow is in the same boat and there might be some more who are disturbed by the noise. So you would not be the only one complaining and as a group you have more power.

Hopefully you won't end selling up the house
Old Nov 27th 2009, 10:25 am
you dewty owld maan!

lardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BEVS
This is a a very loud bass sound which vibrates through the house, the room ,the bed. These houses are wooden. Their doors and windows are open.

They are everything we wanted to get away from. The pits.
now that sucks......I get annoyed by noise sometimes and having lived here in the deathly quiet for a few years it would be a real ball-acher to go back to noisy neighbours.
with summer coming then you'll have the windows open more as well so that is not going to be much fun.....

if you can't get them on the noise can you get them on their licence?
are they allowed to sell for consumption off the premises? if not then these louts carrying bottles up the street might lose them the licence?
Old Nov 27th 2009, 1:09 pm
Banned

Comauver will become famous soon enoughComauver will become famous soon enough

There's nothing worse than noisy neighbours particularly at unsocial hours when you're trying to sleep and especially if you've got young kids. It brings utter misery to your life and preoccupies your life all the time.

It is the one crime when I have total sympathy with a victim who takes the law into his own hands and acts violently when every other avenue has failed. To digress slightly, I remember reading, years ago, about a man who used to go out during the day and turn his tv on loud just to rile his neighbour. One day the neighbour went into the perpetrators house and a scuffle ensued with the troublemaker falling down the stairs to his death. The man who was understandably under great stress was convicted of manslaughter (I think) but only got a suspended sentence. Needless to say the victims family was up in arms with the light sentence but to me it was appropriate he didn't get jailed.

Living in a terraced house, I've suffered myself with noisy neighbours, loud music, you try being reasonable at first, but the other party usually doesn't compromise. When we moved out and bought a detached house, there was no loud music (which wouldn't have mattered being detached) but the other neighbourhood curse, Lleylandi trees, which I (illegally) ended trimming myself as the neighbour couldn't be bothered and they would have got out of control.

My wife was less paranoid than me about these issues, but at the end of the day they're not minor matters.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.